Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

I have what I feel is a pretty amazing experience to share with you guys.

So something that I do pretty frequently in my personal life, is to play 9 holes with my girlfriend. She is a relatively new golfer and I enjoy showing her how to do things. It gives us something to do together outside that we enjoy, and both being competitive people it's a really nice challenge for both of us. I'm the type of person though that could spend everyday all day on the golf course if I could financially and physically afford it. 

This evening her and I went to my local course where I'm a member and played the back nine. I wasn't striking the ball very well at all the whole evening, given that I didn't warm up and have been dealing with a sore back and shoulder, I wasn't expecting much out of the 9 anyway. But I like to use these times as a nice way to get some practice reps in. Getting distances down, working on shot shapes, 3/4 swings, choking down. All the fun stuff. 

It's not at all uncommon for me to drop 2 or 3 sometimes even 4 extra golf balls on a hole and hit approach shots, chips and putts with them. I find it gives me invaluable experience for when I go out to play a full round.

Tonight was nothing different. With not striking it as well as I would like, I was still managing to get around the course. We came to the 17th hole, which is a par 3 that plays around 140 yards. This evening the wind was into and off the left, and the hole was playing about a club longer than usual. The hole is laid out like this. There is a pond that sits directly in between the tee box and the green, making the hole a forced carry to the front of the green. There is woods long and left of the hole, a bunker off the right and a pond short and to the right of that bunker. Basically you have to hit it on or very close to the green or you're out of luck.

I'm on the tee box, go through my routine, take my swing, and felt like I had just surely hit a ball squarely into the middle of the pond. I've seen it so many times before. A weak strike turns into a ball landing halfway into the lake or at the very best just short of the wall at the front of the green.

My result was a little different. I'll get to that in a minute. No ace though. Just to clear the air.

As is common for me, especially when I have a poor strike, I ask my girlfriend for another ball and re-tee. I go through my routine, and flushed it. Perfect trajectory. Straight to a baby draw on a line close to the pin and much better feeling to me than the first go.

Here's where things get interesting.

Which ball do you think is my first and which is the second shot?

IMG_1574.jpg

[Disclaimer: I know the picture is kind of washed out. And not that great of quality. I apologize. Lighting was out of my control.]

Pretty crazy, isn't it?

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal. Neither is a tap in birdie. And neither set the world on fire. BUT one felt like a truly horrendous shot. The other felt the way a crisp strike feels. This picture illustrated just HOW forgiving these irons are.

All I could think to myself while I was driving to the hole was "I can't believe I got away with that, with BLADES!" 

Both golf balls had the same total distance within a few yards. The first shot pitched about 3-4 yards short of the second ball and rolled the extra couple of yards to cover the gap. 

Wow. I love these irons more and more with every time I get out to play.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't played mine in 2 weeks. Not because I don't want to, because I've been on night shift. Tonight is my last night for, hopefully, the foreseeable future.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Rookie,

I hope you get to play some golf soon man. Maybe night shift is just your payment for going out and playing some of the best rounds of your life over the next few weeks? Haha.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I doubt it. I had to call in sick today. Went to the doc and was diagnosed with shift work disorder. The last few weeks I've slept about 3 hours a day/night. Last night was my breaking point. I keep a headache all the time. Maybe with what he gave me I can get some sleep finally.

That said I cleaned these earlier because I wanted to take some pics with my new headcovers and noticed that I've got a small pencil lead sized chip on the leading edge of the 63. It's gonna happen. I try to keep my clubs as pristine as possible.but I also play the ball down unless there's a local rule about rolling the ball. It's going to happen and I don't worry about it. Just noticed it today and was like awwwwww maaaaan lol

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I doubt it. I had to call in sick today. Went to the doc and was diagnosed with shift work disorder. The last few weeks I've slept about 3 hours a day/night. Last night was my breaking point. I keep a headache all the time. Maybe with what he gave me I can get some sleep finally.

My daughter recently went on the graveyard shift for Apple, it was manadatory that each person works it for six months.......she tried for two months to make it work, but she had the complaints as you reported Rookie.  Headaches, laclk of sleep, etc.  I had no idea that there was such a thing as "shift work disorder".....Hope you get over it Rookie.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Man I've been noticing little chips here and there. Nothing unusual. Just from playing the game we all love. It's not a problem by any stretch, but I felt the same as you. Just a little sense of "oh well, now that's over" like getting the first scratch on a new car...

In other news though, get some sleep man. That schedule sounds brutal.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Man I've been noticing little chips here and there. Nothing unusual. Just from playing the game we all love. It's not a problem by any stretch, but I felt the same as you. Just a little sense of "oh well, now that's over" like getting the first scratch on a new car...

In other news though, get some sleep man. That schedule sounds brutal.

The guy with nice shiny new clubs may clean my clock, but I am always leary of the guy with nicks on them and well worn faces.  Yes, the Ben Hogans are pretty, but they are meant to be played, not hung on the wall to be admired.  Enjoy them guys.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My daughter recently went on the graveyard shift for Apple, it was manadatory that each person works it for six months.......she tried for two months to make it work, but she had the complaints as you reported Rookie. Headaches, laclk of sleep, etc. I had no idea that there was such a thing as "shift work disorder".....Hope you get over it Rookie.

Well I got a full 8 hours sleep last night... Thanks ambien lol

In The Bag

Well I got a full 8 hours sleep last night... Thanks ambien lol

Be careful with ambien. I've seen it do some messed up s***.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

When I traveled overseas a lot, we were given Ambien to help sleep for jet lag recovery.  I tried it, but it was similar to most sleeping aids for me.  I always seemed to be sluggish in the morning.  I didn't like it.  On a Dr. visit about 10 years ago, he prescribed Zanaflex (generic is Tizanidine).  It's a muscle relaxer and not habit forming.  I can take one at night and within 10 minutes, I am out like a light.  No morning after effects.  Sometimes I will take another one if I get up in the middle of the night, and I go right back to sleep.  They work great for me, but not for everyone.  My wife takes it, but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  She can take the strongest sleeping pill available and still be up for hours.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Be careful with ambien. I've seen it do some messed up s***.

I've had it do some messed up $hit. I won't take it anymore but I used to wake up in the morning somewhere different than where I went to sleep with no idea how I got there. Usually either the couch or another bedroom LOL scared the crap out of me.

Kenny tell your wife to try Trazodone. Its been around for prolly 60-70 years. Its non habit forming and will knock you the hell out. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

This is a great place for a discussion on sleep aids... haha.

How about good old melatonin? I take that if I've been feeling especially sluggish and don't sleep well. It's fantastic.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I travel a ton and normally a double bourbon works just fine for me.  Try and stay away from the sleeping pills as much as possible, but sometimes on the flight back from Kuala Lumpur the bourbon is not enough.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I travel a ton and normally a double bourbon works just fine for me.  Try and stay away from the sleeping pills as much as possible, but sometimes on the flight back from Kuala Lumpur the bourbon is not enough.

I agree, the double bourbon is a great starter......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've had it do some messed up $hit. I won't take it anymore but I used to wake up in the morning somewhere different than where I went to sleep with no idea how I got there. Usually either the couch or another bedroom LOL scared the crap out of me.

Kenny tell your wife to try Trazodone. Its been around for prolly 60-70 years. Its non habit forming and will knock you the hell out.

I'm not sure, but that might be what the Dr. prescribed once. He said don't take it unless you are in bed. When my wife went to the drugstore to pick it up, she asked the pharmacist who asked "How far away is the bathroom?" She said about 12ft. The pharmacist said well, I think you should be OK. Two hours later, my wife was still reading in bed! She seems to think that these sleeping pills have the opposite effect on her. She has quit taking anything, except for the occasional Tizanidine. I have never taken a sleeping pill, and only tried Ambien and Melatonin a few times. Don't like them either. Tizanidine works for me, and no side effects.

I work shift work. 24 hours on, 72 hours off. Before work I go to sleep early (6-7pm) and use melatonin with good results. Typically awake for 20-30 hours straight at work.

Ambien is habit forming. Don't take it for an extended period of time and definitely don't stop it abruptly.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

My background:  Dad was a club pro, and I grew up playing blades (Hogans and Titleist Tour Models).  When I was 17, I got a set of Ping Eye 2's in 1986 when there was a 6 month waiting list to get them.  I have been playing the Pings ever since.  After about a 15 year lay off from golf due to work and raising a family of 4 kids, I've committed myself to getting back into it.  I have spent a lot of time on the range this year trying to find the tempo and the groove and have it down to an 8 HCP.  The goal is to shoot 69, so I realize that, although the Eye 2's are still some of the best clubs ever made, they are no longer legal, probably suffering from fatigue, and don't give me much feedback on misses.  So I need to look at new sticks.  I have been eyeing the Titleist AP2's until I found out about Hogans a couple of months ago.  After reading the reviews, I ordered the 3 club demo set to trial and received them 2 days ago.

Upon inspection, I have to agree that they are absolutely beautiful all the way around. Again, I am used to playing bulky offset Ping Eye 2's, but I think the new Hogans have very little offset, and the top line seems to be no thicker than the Mizuno's or Titleist that I have looked at.

This morning was my first opportunity to get them to the range.  Solid shots were very smooth, nice ball flight, with consistent dispersion.  Turf interaction on well hit shots was nice, barely a divot as the club swept through the ball.

I also hit all of the misses (Toe, heel, fat, thin), and consistent with many of the reviewers here, this is where the club shines.  Feedback was received as to how I missed it, but still a solid feel, very little loss of distance or accuracy.  None of the stinging and numbness of the hands that I remember from years ago on the thin shots.

I still have a few more weeks to try these out, but my initial impression is very positive.

Hey travwhite!  Where are you playing?

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your input.  Several of us are thinking about them and everyone has liked the new Hogans.  Glad to see another friendly review.  I will be in Vegas next month and I heard that Hogan open a fitter there, so should get a chance to try them out.

Hey travwhite!  Where are you playing?

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your input.  Several of us are thinking about them and everyone has liked the new Hogans.  Glad to see another friendly review.  I will be in Vegas next month and I heard that Hogan open a fitter there, so should get a chance to try them out.

I'm in Jacksonville, FL now.  Mostly play at NAS Jacksonville.  Next step is a couple of lessons to get me in the right slot, then probably a fitting session up the road at Sea Island, Ga.  They are a regional fitter for Titleist and use quality balls and a Trackman.  From there I will evaluate a couple of the other top players irons and compare.

Cheers...

HeyTravWhite welcome if I didn't do so elsewhere!

Rookie - I feel for you man - when this stuff happens PM me - I will keep you in my prayers and I'm guessing your facebook post that I couldn't make sense out of had something to do with this.

Okay Jbil asked me a question a couple of pages back and a never answered - I'm really sorry about that - life got in the way there for a bit.  The question was why my instructor wanted me to move towards a club that was a player's type club.  I asked him that and here's what he said:

Because I have a distance iron there is a definite hot spot on it which means that the dispersion pattern is not as tight as it could be.  The forgiveness is nice but my swing is good enough that I should get forgiveness out of anything that's not too far down the Maltby list.  So...... he believes that covering that distance from wedge to 5 hybrid with a player's club of some type could be a game changer for me.  Remember that in my case I'm chasing a stroke here or there, not 5 strokes or 10 strokes. 

I'm still pondering but he has a point.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

HeyTravWhite welcome if I didn't do so elsewhere!

Rookie - I feel for you man - when this stuff happens PM me - I will keep you in my prayers and I'm guessing your facebook post that I couldn't make sense out of had something to do with this.

Okay Jbil asked me a question a couple of pages back and a never answered - I'm really sorry about that - life got in the way there for a bit. The question was why my instructor wanted me to move towards a club that was a player's type club. I asked him that and here's what he said:

Because I have a distance iron there is a definite hot spot on it which means that the dispersion pattern is not as tight as it could be. The forgiveness is nice but my swing is good enough that I should get forgiveness out of anything that's not too far down the Maltby list. So...... he believes that covering that distance from wedge to 5 hybrid with a player's club of some type could be a game changer for me. Remember that in my case I'm chasing a stroke here or there, not 5 strokes or 10 strokes.

I'm still pondering but he has a point.

No, that post was dealing with something else. I interviewed for a promotion at my old work location Friday. It's 10 mins from home vs an hour each way where I'm at now and I don't have to get in Atlanta traffic nor the future new Braves stadium traffic.

In The Bag

I'm in Jacksonville, FL now. Mostly play at NAS Jacksonville. Next step is a couple of lessons to get me in the right slot, then probably a fitting session up the road at Sea Island, Ga. They are a regional fitter for Titleist and use quality balls and a Trackman. From there I will evaluate a couple of the other top players irons and compare.

Cheers...

Another option close to there is 30 more minutes to Savannah and Chip Usher's place he just moved to. Chip is one of the top fitters in the country and an exceptional human being to boot. Neither would be a bad choice, lots of people didn't know Chip had moved though.

In The Bag

I'm in Jacksonville, FL now.  Mostly play at NAS Jacksonville.  Next step is a couple of lessons to get me in the right slot, then probably a fitting session up the road at Sea Island, Ga.  They are a regional fitter for Titleist and use quality balls and a Trackman.  From there I will evaluate a couple of the other top players irons and compare.

Cheers...

Look up jaxbeachpackerfan.  He lives in your area.  Maybe he will jump in the conversation.  I will be in St. Augustine and Orlando in February for golf.  Rev was talking about getting everyone in his area together then for an outing.

Oh wow I get over to Kingsbay several times a year. My son is stationed there. He's due in soon, I see a foursome going out sometime in October.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Cheers...

Welcome Travwhite.  I'm in Jacksonville Beach and play at TPC Sawgrass.  Have to get you over here sometime!

Have you considered the Tour Academy at the TPC for a fitting?  Kevin Lindsey is an excellent fitter.  They have all the technology.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I had a rain delay while practicing Friday and went in the club house and started talking to one of the guys who works there, Brent. Great guy, mid 70's played on your for a short time and came to Florida in the 90's to chase playing on the Senior tour. Health issues put a stop to that and he's worked at bayou since '96.

We got talking about equipment and he was excited that I knew so much about it, actually I was excited that I did too, thanks guys. We started talking about Hogan and he detailed their demise lamenting it because he had been a Hogan player.

I told him about the new release and SCOR and he wanted to see one so I braved the lightening and brought one in. He was impressed, so was I because he nailed that my grips had and extra wrap and that the lie was flat instantly.

It was a cool half hour articulately facing today, you really don't want to know what I had to do today. Every parent's nightmare. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Went out for another range session today with my demo set.  Again, trying to find my old swing and trying to compare to my old Ping Eye 2's.  Weather stayed away and the course was dead, so decided to walk 9 to put them to the test on the course and to check ball flight with Pro V1's.  These things feel pretty nice off of the fairway and check well on the greens.  The biggest difference I notice vs. the Ping's were from out of the bermuda rough.  The Hogans cut right through it with a solid, crisp feel.  While I don't have a SW, I did use the 51 around the green to try and get the feel.  It felt great!  Nice solid, crisp contact with the ball.

While I still want to compare to AP2's, these Hogan's are looking good.

Travwhite,

It's awesome to hear about your performance and experience with the Hogans. It's always nice to hear an outside opinion from those involved. And it's nice to know you're seeing the same things I have grown to love out of these clubs. Keep it up and keep us updated!

And Rev,

Those kinds of experiences are the best. Just the chance meetings you have with people that stick with you. It's amazing how you can find something on accident like that. As for your day, I hope all is well, and give you my prayers my friend.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I'd upload new pics... But the computer is acting stupid. Keyboard doesn't work at all, mouse freezes. I'm sure my wife clicked something and there's a virus or malware on it but it's froze up on the login screen and I can't even get into the advanced setup to be able to boot to safe mode. Windows 8 is an awful interface

Edit: I've got it in recovery mode finally

In The Bag

SNCGOLF03's FOLLOW-UP FIVE

1. Will these irons stay in your bag? Why or why not?

As was alluded to in my Final Review, I really liked the overall irons and wedges that Hogan has brought out.  That being said, I also really like my current set of irons and found the overall forgiveness to be better in the Adams CMB irons I have.  There's not that much difference in the mid and short irons as far as distance loss on off center hits between the two but was more noticeable with the 5 (27*) and especially the 4 (23*).  Mind you the Adams CMBs aren't extremely forgiving either but it is a noticeable difference.  There is a pretty significant loss of directional control on the Hogan's when my clubface was not square, which was really accentuated in the longer irons.  For my game, which is one that I don't tend to consistently try and work the ball left and right I am better suited for an iron with more perimeter weighting to help decrease twist on impact.  The tungsten weights on the heal and toe of the Adams CMBs seems to do a solid job of that for me.  Even the Adams though in the long irons are a little inconsistent for me and now that I am not playing quite as much (although I've played a lot more than normal during this review process), I may soon go even more forgiving than my Adams CMBs. 

The Hogan TK wedges overall were great.  I still though think they don't quite make it in my bag for a variety of reasons that largely have to do with my swing.  In my “Final Review” I mentioned how much I like the Adams CMB Gap Wedge and the little bit wider sole helps me not dig as much on my relatively steep downswing.  Although not bad at all, the V-sole was a little bit inconsistent when I was on tighter lies that were soft.  If I made a poor swing I took some pretty large pelts of turf and came up quite short.  The sole on the CMB helped forgive me more on those occasional poor swings.  Up in Wisconsin we aren't faced with a ton of really dry conditions and fairways are often softer so I feel I will be much more consistent with the Adams Gap short irons and GW.  The Cobra Trusty Rusty's, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of for my game either and think the Hogan TK wedges were a little bit better than those as far as turf interaction.  I'm not sure of the exact bounce on the Trusty Rusty's (I think the bounce varies from heal, middle and toe) but I think they are pretty low bounce which for my swing isn't ideal.   

As nice as the Hogan's feel, to me the Adams CMBs feel quite a bit better, and not a knock on Hogan's, just to me the CMBs are the best feeling irons I've hit.  They just feel so soft to me and love it.

In the past few weeks since the overall review, I've been alternating playing rounds with the Hogan's and the Adams CMBs, keeping track of greens in regulation and scores.  Overall this is the main factor of why the Adams CMBs will be staying in my bag.  My GIRs have been much better with the Adams over the CMBs.  Like I previously said in my other reviews, hitting greens has been not my greatest part of my game.  With the Hogan's I've been averaging about 40-50% of GIRs, but the last few rounds with the Adams when they go back into the rotation I've hit 7/9 (the 2 holes I missed where when I hit drove it behind a tree and had to punch out, and the other was a 240 yard par 3 that I hit a hybrid off of).  So with that round every realistic chance I had to use my irons into the green I hit it.  Then yesterday I hit 14/18 greens, 3 of the ‘misses' were just on the fringe, 2 of which I made for birdie, and the other miss was due to my tee shot amongst the trees.  The conditions weren't benign either; 15-25 mph winds and I hit a solid 3/14 fairways!  I just hit the ball much more accurately and the tendency to miss right and left is much less with the CMBs vs the Hogan's.

1. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend these? Why?

For someone that likes working the ball, I really think the Hogan's would be fantastic.  The overall quality and performance is fantastic for someone looking for a unique set of irons that not many people have.  You will likely be the envy of your foursome!  For someone who previously owned or wanted to own Ben Hogan irons, I think will be very pleased with these irons.  They stayed true to the Hogan roots and crafted a wonderful iron.  I think someone who wants a more blade-like iron, yet still doesn't want to sacrifice complete forgiveness these are great. 

1. How has this experience shaped or changed your impression of the Hogan brands?

I have been completely blown away by Hogan's dedication and commitment to customer service and willingness to satisfy the customer.  There communication and turnaround time for answers were something I don't think I've ever seen before.   I know there were some issues with some of the testers' lofts being off, and they went above and beyond to try and figure out and correct the issues.  I never did get my specs measured elsewhere, but by how they played on the course, my yardage gaps were great and consistent so that's good enough for me.  I really look forward to seeing what they come out with next in the future.

1. What features would you change or eliminate in the next generation of this model?

I would like to see them change their standard length gap be more ‘standard'.  I think the ¾” gap is a little too much especially in the long irons.  Maybe give some more sole options in the wedges.  Like I stated, for me, I would prefer a little wider sole in the wedges to make sand shots a little easier, and more forgiving when I get a little too steep. 

1. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?  I really like the looks, classic and clean, and love how they blend from one head to the next.  As many of the testers stated, the long irons can be quite challenging to hit, and miss-hits can be punishing.  I'd like to see them evolve and offer maybe a blended, easier to hit option in the longer irons.  Just to help those who need a little more help launching the ball and maybe a little more heel and toe weighting for those mishits.  I'd like to see them evolve the “Hogan Fit” and work out the few kinks.  Maybe add a shaft fit tool to help narrow down shaft options, as well as getting some static body measurements to get the lengths and lie angles as a starting point.  I know it would be as good as a real life fitting, but I think it would help get a better online fit for those of us that aren't going to have access to fitters and places that carry the Hogan line.  I made a post earlier about some of the kinks that I noticed too in case you didn't read it:

“When you fill out the HoganFit initially and put all your current set specs like Midsized grip, current length and lie, and then get your initial HoganFit Analysis results they have the grip size as Midsize...but then when you go to the Next Page to Purchase and they give you the summary, it resets the grip size category to standard. So if you're not careful, you may get the wrong grips/sizes.

They also don't automatically fill in the length adjustments and lie adjustments to match with your 'current set' so I'm assuming they mean for you to fill it in on your own.

I'm not sure if that's where some testers got messed up with the thinking that the HoganFit was designed to also 'fit your length and lie and grip size'. I was under the assumption, whether or not it's correct I'm not sure, but the HoganFit was designed to only fit the lofts and loft gapping, not anything else.

If they were wanting, which I think they should, to do a more comprehensive online fit, they could include arm length, hand length, height, etc. similar to the Ping Online fitting tool, to help get you on the right start of what length and lie and grip size you should get.

One other critique I had of the HoganFit was that after you put in your current set makeup, me for instance I have a driver,3 wood, 19* hybrid, 4-GW, 55* & 61* and putter, their recommendations give you too many clubs. So with the set I was given, I was rocking 15 clubs in the bag.”

Any other lasting impression or parting thoughts you'd like to add?

Again I want to thank MyGolfSpy and Ben Hogan golf for this once in a lifetime opportunity given to me and a few other lucky members.  I hope I helped give a little insight on these great clubs.  Although ultimately they aren't completely perfect for me, the vast majority of people that try and see them really do love them.  I really hope the Hogan brand will be successful and will continue to do great customer service and bring out other great products.  

WITB:

Ping G30 9* (set to 10*)- Ping Tour 60 X

Ping G20 15* - Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 19* (set to 20*) - Graphite Design Deep Impact 80H X

Adams CMB 4-GW - TT Dynamic Gold Tour X100

Cobra Trusty Rusty 55* and 61* - TT S200

Taylormade New Spider Mallet 35"

Archived