Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

Thanks SNC, Adams had a nice run of irons, it's too bad they were trashed by TMag. I still have a set of the original Idea Pros that I reshafted. Unfortunately my kid grabbed them up.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks SNC, Adams had a nice run of irons, it's too bad they were trashed by TMag. I still have a set of the original Idea Pros that I reshafted. Unfortunately my kid grabbed them up.

Yeah I was suprised when I got them some 1-1/2 years ago, and good comment about TMag....not sure is we'll ever see a nice players iron from Adams again!

WITB:

Ping G30 9* (set to 10*)- Ping Tour 60 X

Ping G20 15* - Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 19* (set to 20*) - Graphite Design Deep Impact 80H X

Adams CMB 4-GW - TT Dynamic Gold Tour X100

Cobra Trusty Rusty 55* and 61* - TT S200

Taylormade New Spider Mallet 35"

1. Are these irons likely to stay in your bag? Why or why not?

Yes.  They have been in the bag since I received them.  In order to evaluate them fully I had to commit to them.  I am glad I did.  They are everything I had been looking for but didn't know existed.  I used to love the feel and feedback from a blade iron.  Sadly, their lack of forgiveness cost me enough strokes to look to something with more forgiveness.  Enter my Titleist 712 AP2's.  They are solid and forgiving but I just never got past the point of détente with them.  I needed the forgiveness, but the feedback was so muted it felt like I was trying to tie my shoes with thick winter mittens on.  The FW-15 irons are the perfect blend for me.  The club gives you feedback (though never harsh) but you don't pay a severe price for a mishap.

As for the wedges, they remain in the bag as well, for totally different reasons.  These wedges will not fix a poor swing, but they will help a poor swing and sometimes enough to be putting and not chipping.  Wedge play has been my nemesis for a while now. I have a lot more confidence with these wedges than I have had with any “traditional” wedge.  Probably because traditional wedges are pretty much blade irons.  Great feedback and you pay dearly for mishits.  Sure, I have had to adjust to them on chipping (still some difficulty controlling the spin from time to time) and sand play (just this weekend I learned that making my swing shallow really helps with sand play and these wedges) but the extra forgiveness has helped my game immensely.  There is a minimal loss of feel over traditional wedges – toe shots and high on the face don't feel so clunky, but you still do know how you hit it.

I've put a lot of miles on these clubs over the last month or so.  A trip to Pebble Beach, Medal Play and Match play at our club and at each round I never once wished I had my old clubs back in the bag.

2. To what type of player would you recommend these irons? Why?

I would recommend the irons to anyone interested in a players iron plus anyone interested in a game improvement iron for whom feel is important.  I would not recommend these to someone interested in a high level of game improvement.  My reasoning is that what these irons are good at (feel and help on mishits) is what may appeal to those types of players.  If a player is looking for help getting the ball in the air or wants explosive distance, then these irons are not for them. 

For the wedges, I would recommend these to anyone who loses a stroke or more per round on their wedge play.  If you hit the ball off the toe or high on the face once in a while then these wedges are going to help you.  I have had the “it's never going to get there” ball actually get there.  Be warned:  there will be a learning curve chipping and in sand play as there is with any new wedge, but you will find that it's worth going through the curve.

3.  How has this experience shaped or changed your impression of the Hogan brand?

Going into this, I had some pretty high hopes.  I played Hogan irons for most of my life and would have continued had Callaway not killed the line (I am still bitter about that).  However, it was going to take quite a bit of skill and probably some luck for a new company to produce a club worthy of the name they were going to stamp on it. 

I was aware of Terry Koehler's experience with Ben Hogan's company.  But the fact remains that Terry Koehler and his staff are not Ben Hogan.  You can study his designs and his ideals all you want, but you cannot know all that he was thinking when he designed his clubs.  Yet, I was hopeful because if Terry and his team could dare to put the name “Ben Hogan” on a club, they must have a darn good reason to do so.

Through my use of the clubs, I have learned that my hopes had been realized.  These are clubs worthy of the name.

Another thing that impressed me is the customer service.  One of their staff (Jamie Pipes) spent some time on the phone and email with me trying to figure out why I had the distance gap in the set that I did.  I sent him some numbers comparing my old set and the Hogans and instead of focusing on the gap, he told me he thought I was losing distance and wondered why.  As we discussed back and forth, if kind of fell out that the shafts in my old clubs (Project X 6.0) required a little more aggression on my part than did the shafts in the Hogans (KBS Tour V 110).  Because the clubs were not demanding it, I wasn't going after it and that was more pronounced with the shorter irons.  Armed with this information I have made an effort to be more aggressive and it has not only narrowed the gap, but helped my game.  I adapt my swing and tempo extremely easily to new equipment.  I would not have this answer so quickly if it weren't for the time he spent with me.

4.  What is your most favorite feature of the Ft. Worth 15 irons and TK 15 wedges? Your least favorite?

My favorite feature of the set as a whole is the way the irons flow into the wedges.  It's pretty seamless.  The feel is pretty consistent between what someone would call a mid-iron to what someone would call a gap wedge.  It's so seamless that it's helpful not to think of them as irons and wedges.  Just pick the loft required for the shot.  I may play a bump and run with a 54 degree or a 42 degree and the feel is going to be the same with both. 

Least favorite?  That's actually a tough question.  I've nullified my harshest criticism I put into my review – the yardage gap within the set.  So, I guess I would have to say that it's the yardage gap between the set and the rest of the bag.  The Hogan-Fit system prescribed a 22 degree iron at the low end.  That leaves a bigger gap to my 3-wood than what it replaced.  Another annoyance is that the HoganFit system asked me what I had (but not what specific shaft) and not whether I liked it or not.  So, to sum it up my least favorite feature is HoganFit.  I think they should at some point invite you to call in to fine-tune the suggestion.  There are some really talented people there and they should use that strength.  If they did invite a call-in, I didn't see it.

5.  What features or benefits would you like to see in a companion model iron from Ben Hogan?

Jeez, would you guys quit asking such hard questions?  What in the world would be a companion model to these, anyway?  The only thing that could make any sense is for something with some additional game improvement features.  The long irons look scary to hit but they're not.  So much of golf is confidence and maybe some golfers would benefit from some longer irons that didn't look hard to hit.  So, I guess I'm with sncgolf03 in saying that maybe offering a “combo” type option would be nice.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Very nice review Mike!  

I also had good conversations with Jamie Pipes at Ben Hogan Golf shortly after he joined their staff.  Jamie came from UST Mamiya and is extremely knowledgeable on golf shafts.  I think Terry Koehler is building a good staff and I expect them to do well.  Now, I just need to try them out.  Next month in Vegas!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yeah I was suprised when I got them some 1-1/2 years ago, and good comment about TMag....not sure is we'll ever see a nice players iron from Adams again!

The MB2s are still one of the best blades that I have ever hit.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I got a call this morning that my Hogan's arrived at the store in Minnesota and will be shipped to me as soon as the lofts and lies are checked.  

I hope I will be able to contribute to the thread sometime next week or the week after.  

In the mean time, it has been great reading so far.  

Jmikecpa Follow-up

1.   Are these irons likely to stay in your bag? Why or why not?

Right now these irons are not in my bag, but will be once they come back from Hogan.  I opted to take the Hogan company up on a check of loft and lie to ensure that they are on spec.  Hogan could not have been better or more accommodating in the process and it has been great so far. 

Over the past few weeks I have been fighting my swing and was close to going back to my AP2s just for a change.  Now that I have had the AP2s in my bag for a few rounds I can't wait to get the Hogans back in the bag.  They are some of the best feeling irons I have ever played and are about a club longer than the AP2s with a much lower ball flight that is much more workable. 

I can honestly see these staying in my bag long-term as they are just automatic in terms of results.  Good swings equate good shots and they are just versatile.  I can easily flight the ball up and down which is not something I can say about a lot of irons that I have played.  These really just seem to fit my game well and make me a much better player in the wind; which is huge for me in terms of irons.

2.   To what type of player would you recommend these irons? Why?

I would recommend these irons to a player that is a good ball striker.  I generally do not like to give handicap ranges since I have played with some high caps that are good iron players, but struggle in other areas of their game.  While these are fairly forgiving for a small compact iron, they are still a small compact iron that is more akin to a blade than a player's cavity.  If you make a bad pass at the ball the result will show and there is not much help from these irons.

The Hogans are not going to cover up any major swing flaws nor are they designed for that reason.  While not as penal as some other irons in this category they are not the friendliest of irons on the block.  A player that has a good sound swing and makes consistent contact on the center or the face will love these clubs.  If that is not your game then I personally would look elsewhere for a set of irons. 

3.   How has this experience shaped or changed your impression of the Hogan brand?

The Hogan name is back as a player in the equipment market.  Prior to this review they were just a legacy to me and in the same boat as McGregor; a once prominent player that has gone by the wayside.  Hogan is on the same trajectory to me as Wilson and moving up with some solid equipment.  Give the company a few solid years, some additional product development and I believe they can have some solid market share that is relative to the size of the company.  Do I ever think that they become a TaylorMade or Callaway….doubtful, but I think they can have a lasting impression on the golf marketplace.   

4.   What is your most favorite feature of the Ft. Worth 15 irons and TK 15 wedges? Your least favorite?

My favorite feature is consistency.  I know how far these irons will fly and the trajectory is exactly what I would expect.  For me that is the best feature in just about any club….I don't like surprises.  With these irons for me it is point and shoot.  The feedback from the strike pretty much tells me what the result is going to be.  In all the rounds I played with these I have only had one shot that flew longer than I would have thought and that was by about 5 yards and put me in the back fringe instead of hole high.

My least favorite is the lob wedge and the amount of time it has taken me to get used to hitting sand shots and short pitch shots.  Not having a traditional bounce profile is something that has taken a lot of time to get used to.  For the last two weeks I have had my Mack Daddy 2 lob wedge in the bag and it was like getting an old friend back.  This is not to say that the TK 15s are a bad wedge, but just takes some adjustment that for some may not be worth the effort.  I have played a high bounce lob wedge for the last 20 years so a few months to learn new technique is at times burdensome.  I would have the same issue if I went to a lob wedge with 4* of bounce, but that is not something that I would willingly try and do at this point in my golfing life.

5.   What features or benefits would you like to see in a companion model iron from Ben Hogan?

I would like to see something a bit more forgiving in the longer irons.  I think a split set of irons with a 3, 4 and 5 irons with a bit more cavity would make these a killer combo set.

WITB 2024

See my WITB thread... No, seriously, go look at it... LOL.

These are in my bag currently.  Will they stay?  Who knows, I'm a club ho.  But they're in there now and they will be till something greater (see better performing) comes along.  I am, however, mulling over whether to reshaft them or not.  I like the Nippons, yes, but I may end up going back to my old reliable Dynamic Golds... Or I may stick the new shaft from the True Temper family I will soon have access to after testing.  I might also go with some different lofts in the wedges.  Who knows?  I need more bag time and scores evaluation to determine for certain.  But they're in there and I'm playing them and having good results right now.  

What type of player would I recommend these to?  The serious golfer.  Will I give a handicap range?  Nope because handicap ranges, IMO, aren't an indicator of everything.  You'll want to be a pretty decent ball striker.  But these are forgiving enough, even for blades, that your higher handicap golfers would be able to find a fair amount of success with them.  I wouldn't advise the weekend warrior to pick them up and play them, but a guy that practices once or twice a week and plays once maybe twice will be find with them.

3. How has this experience shaped or changed your impression of the Hogan brand?
How has it shaped or changed my impression of the Hogan brand?  Hard to say.  I was familiar with the former Hogan brand and the new Hogan brand via Scor.  I will say, however, that these seem to be given a lot of attention to every detail.  That was something I didn't notice with the former Hogan brand.  Yes, the Apex lines were great irons for what they were.  But these are on another level because of the playbility standpoint.  I've hit the old Apex, both blades and cavities.  These are more forgiving than either.  I believe they have a bright future ahead.

4. What is your most favorite feature of the Ft. Worth 15 irons and TK 15 wedges? Your least favorite?
What is my most favorite feature?  Hmm.... That's hard to say honestly.  I like the headshape more and more after every round.  It was something I initially wondered/worried about because of the round profile.  But, I suppose if I had to pin point one feature?  I'd likely say the v-sole progression throughout the set.  I'm a digger to a fault, I suppose.  These soles are very playable for me.  They don't dig but they do cut through the turf, if that makes much sense.  My buddy that's a slider type swinger had no issues with the sole either.  So to me, that's one aspect that's truly great about them, the playability for any swing type.

My least favorite feature?  I suppose one could say I'm nitpicking.  I wished the faces and topline were more of a satin finish all over and not just in the scoring lines area.  It picks up a little glare at times and I haven't addressed it with my beadblaster yet.  Other than that, I really don't have anything to complain about, and that's really minute.

5. What features or benefits would you like to see in a companion model iron from Ben Hogan?
This one is a toughie for me. I don't have any issues with the irons personally.  But, with that said, I wouldn't mind, at all, seeing a progressive cavity offered at least in the top half of the lofts.  If they could get the playability of these where they are in the long irons, I'd love to see what they could do with more weight/mass to be able to move around the perimeter.  I think it'd take them from playable for lots of golfers to playable to all golfers, honestly.  Ams, even the ones that struggle, will be fine with the short irons being blades, but the long irons could be intimidating because they're blades.  Hell, I'd game the progressive cavity type in the top end myself, and I hit these fine.  It's all about appearance and being as my 6 iron has always been my favorite club, I believe the loft equivalent here in a 6 iron (possibly down to a 7 iron replacement) being offered in a cavity design makes them even more appealing and user friendly.

So that's it for me.  I will note I do not have the 21 degree iron in the bag.  I hit my 21* hybrid too well to give it up, if I'm being honest.  I hit this 21* irons good as well, but the hybrid works better for me and gives me a few more options as well.  That said, I'd have zero hesitation bagging it.

I tried to keep the Q&A fairly short and sweet.  I'm sure I bored a lot of readers with my review portion and I want this to be user friendly and interactive.  So let's get some questions/commentary rolling.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

But, with that said, I wouldn't mind, at all, seeing a progressive cavity offered at least in the top half of the lofts.  If they could get the playability of these where they are in the long irons, I'd love to see what they could do with more weight/mass to be able to move around the perimeter.  I think it'd take them from playable for lots of golfers to playable to all golfers, honestly.  Ams, even the ones that struggle, will be fine with the short irons being blades, but the long irons could be intimidating because they're blades.  Hell, I'd game the progressive cavity type in the top end myself, and I hit these fine.  It's all about appearance and being as my 6 iron has always been my favorite club, I believe the loft equivalent here in a 6 iron (possibly down to a 7 iron replacement) being offered in a cavity design makes them even more appealing and user friendly

Although they are forgiving for a blade, it seems as though the majority of the people that have played them (and all 'players' clubs for that fact) feel like a little extra help in the long irons would be helpful.  I'm very curious to see if Hogan comes out with that option in the future!

WITB:

Would love to get a chance to hit these I can't find them anywhere to demo with a X flex shaft

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Although they are forgiving for a blade, it seems as though the majority of the people that have played them (and all 'players' clubs for that fact) feel like a little extra help in the long irons would be helpful. I'm very curious to see if Hogan comes out with that option in the future!

Forgiveness is good, more forgiveness is better though. Lol

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Forgiveness is good, more forgiveness is better though. Lol

Exactly why I have two hybrids in the bag.  Why struggle to hit a 4 iron when a higher lofted hybrid is point and shoot?

WITB 2024

Exactly why I have two hybrids in the bag. Why struggle to hit a 4 iron when a higher lofted hybrid is point and shoot?

It's why my 21* hybrid is in instead of the 21* iron too.

In The Bag

Sschaffer24's -The Five

Will the irons & Wedges go in your bag?

Yes. They are firmly in my bag. I elaborated on this in my review. The performance is outstanding. Exactly what I look for in a set of clubs.

To whom, if anyone, would you recommend these irons & wedges to?

I would recommend the irons to any player who considers themselves to be more than a weekend player. Someone who works on their swing. In a combo set I feel anyone can game the mid irons and down, and for the better player you could easily bag the whole set. The wedges in my mind are the best you can buy.

How, if at all, have these clubs changed your overall impression of the brand?

I feel that Terry Koehler and the folks at Ben Hogan golf have successfully reinvented the wheel in golf. HoganFit and their customer service team can handle the responsibilities of most fitters, and they have successfully delivered on the classic Hogan brand. To anyone considering these clubs, please give these folks a call before ordering.

What features would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

I could see an offering at the top end of the bag with more forgiveness for the higher handicapper that would like to play the Hogan brand. Something similar to the MP-H5 possibly. And also possibly some harmonic tuning for the sound. It is distinct, but could be too different for some people.

What features do you really like, and would like to see continued or evolved in future models? I love the V-Sole. I think that this feature is a game changer. The weight distribution is fantastic and could possibly be retuned for different model lines of forgiveness, and possibly add some finish options on the wedges or across the line. Also the forgiveness level of these irons has really started to stand out to me over the last few weeks. Just seeing my performance on the course, and knowing how I am striking the ball is really remarkable!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Guys - this thread needs to get back on topic. And the topic is the Ben Hogan irons and wedges.  There's another thread for any extraneous discussions, so bring the extraneous talk there.

THIS thread is to discuss the irons.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

edmundcruz Follow-up:

20150826_171310.jpg

Well as you all can see from the photo and my WITB, yes, these irons are likely to stay in my bag. I decided to switch from the stock Lamkin grips to Pure grips. I just prefer how Pure grips perform. 

I would recommend these irons to a scratch to mid handicap player. I have noticed that the longer irons are not that forgiving on a misshit. Since my review, I was trying to find a way to make the long irons a little more forgiving by adding some lead tape but I just found the club to be a little sluggish through the impact zone. 

3. How has this experience shaped or changed your impression of the Hogan brand?

Like the hashtags "#PrecisionIsBack" and "HoganIsBack", my impression of the Hogan brand has changed and they are definitely back! I wondered where the brand has gone the past few years. They have resurged into a major player in the golf game once again. 

It was a blessing to be able to have the FT. Worth 15 Irons & TK 15 Wedges for a review. Get your hands on these clubs. At the minimum, demo them. They might change the way you look at a golf club.

4. What is your most favorite feature of the Ft. Worth 15 irons and TK 15 wedges? Your least favorite?

Like my review stated, I absolutely love that V-sole on the clubs. It has helped me just skid right off the turf, instead of digging deeper down and causing a hit high off the club face. I would like to see the irons with a higher profile. I guess I'm not used to a club face with a narrow looking profile.

5. What features or benefits would you like to see in a companion model iron from Ben Hogan?

Ben Hogan Golf Company must keep the V-sole for a companion model. It has been such a great benefit to my game. It should help out many others as well. Additionally, wedges without a finish to allow them to rust a little. I kinda like that look in a wedge. It shows character. 

Hit 'em well, friends! 

Twitter: @EdmundCruz 

@ChiGolfAth 

What's In The Bag:

Driver:  Tour Edge Golf EX9 10 degrees, UST Mamiya ATTAS COOOL Stiff Flex
Hybrid:  Tour Edge Golf Exotics EX9 #3 Hybrid, UST MAMIYA RECOIL 670 F4 Stiff Flex
Irons:
:benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15 Irons, 23, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47 KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Wedges:
:benhogan-small: TK 15 Wedges, 51, 55, 59. KBS Tour 90 S-Flex Shaft
Putter: Buzelli Golf STA-1, Standard Loft/Lie
Ball:  Snell Golf My Tour Ball 

Looks sweet with those white PURE grips!  I second the like of rusty wedges, but I'm not sure if I can see these particular ones as rusty.  They look so nice with the chrome.

WITB:

I've always wanted a set of Scratch Customs made in the same style set up as these Hogans , then I remind myself how much they'd cost. The feeling soon fades away. 

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Here's some of the videos I took during testing. I'll attach them to my review as well as that was the original plan.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NRpBkIyuDAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

WITB:

I'm equally happy with my new Hogans, but mine are a bit different so I'll go over them.

First of all, they're brand new. That alone is worth mentioning because my metals are over twenty years old (at least the club heads are), and more than that, they're a set of four (13, 17, 20, 23º) just as if this were 1965. They're also irreplaceable.

My putter, I'll also mention, is a hickory shafted replica of a World War One era Spalding model.

It's precisely because I don't do new very well that I was attracted to these brand new Hogans.  The closest thing to them in shape is the Golden Ram Tour Grind from the prime days of Tom Watson and Nancy Lopez--that is to say that they're classic forged blades with just a hint of a cavity. The soles most remind me of Reid Lockhart irons and Score wedges, stuff one almost needs to be a gearhead to know about but nevertheless classic and not orthopedic looking.. 

Being nearly 69, I got my FW15 / TK15s with senior flex UST Mamiya Recoil 660s.  Aldila's NV Pro 105 is a great shaft, but I'm just too old for it now. I got them with Tour Wrap 2Gs because not liking to use a glove, I need a wrap type grip, not something more abrasive. 

And finally, the interesting part, I got them gapped in five degree increments, from a long 23º club that I use as a tight hole driving iron to a 63º club that I use for little lobs as a short-side miss wedge. That comes to nine clubs total, and nine plus four metals equals 13, just as it did in the matched set era. Room for a putter, and let's play. 

I love the fact that actual lofts instead of club numbers are stamped on the sole.  The H&B PowerBilt Citations which were my first new set of irons had a 48º nine-iron. I've seen modern sets with a 43º pitching wedge!  To seniors like myself, the modern club numbers are meaningless so I'd rather have the actual lofts.

Above all, however, the blades play very much like players' cavity backs as one might get from Titleist or Mizuno.  No bow will shoot better than the archer can, so I won't make extravagant claims about the playability of these instruments.  They will always hit the ball at least as well as the player can, so any miscues can be addressed immediately as a swing problem, not an equipment problem.  I couldn't say this about all Hogan irons of the past, especially the Apex PC from the 80s.  Those had a sweet spot the size of a flea's junk. The FW15s are not miracle workers but they're not totally unforgiving either. The typical recreational player can learn to hit them and trust them. What more can be asked of a golf club?

Beyond functionality, the clubs are the Charlize Theron of irons. They are simply gorgeous to behold with none of the wild textures, graphics, and colors found on most modern golf clubs.

In short, I like my new irons a lot.  If you have the opportunity to demo them, you might want to do it.

Great writeup Nifty! I'm loving my set, and am very happy to hear you are as well!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Nice write up. Mine are back on Long Island tomorrow and will be back in the back for a Sunday/Monday two day event.

WITB 2024

Those had a sweet spot the size of a flea's junk.

Great analogy!!! LOL

WITB:

I watched one of sncgolf03's videos.  Very nicely done.  I wish there had been a bit more info regarding the distances as it was hard to see.  I could see the initial ball flights so theat was good.  I liked the comparisons so you knew what clubs were being matched.  On another note, what type of camera was doing the video, iphone, android or go pro?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My putter, I'll also mention, is a hickory shafted replica of a World War One era Spalding model.

Being nearly 69, I got my FW15 / TK15s with senior flex UST Mamiya Recoil 660s.  Aldila's NV Pro 105 is a great shaft, but I'm just too old for it now. I got them with Tour Wrap 2Gs because not liking to use a glove, I need a wrap type grip, not something more abrasive. 

Well Nifty, I think I have finally found someone on this forum that is as old as I am!  I thought I was the oldest.  But you have been playing a lot longer than I have.  I started in 1991.  I have been playing the SCOR 42, 46, 50, 54, and 58 for a couple of years now and love them.  After reading all of these great reviews and knowing what great clubs Terry Koehler makes, I am about ready to select my options.  I think I want a slightly heavier shaft than the Recoil 660, so when I go to Vegas in 3 weeks I am going to visit their new fitter there and make a selection, after giving them a try.

About your putter...  My wife has been playing golf for 52 years and she has her Grandfather's putter; a hickory shafted Otey Crisman 10H.  She loves that putter, but it now sitting in her office because the shaft has a crack in it.  It's old, just like us!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I watched one of sncgolf03's videos.  Very nicely done.  I wish there had been a bit more info regarding the distances as it was hard to see.  I could see the initial ball flights so theat was good.  I liked the comparisons so you knew what clubs were being matched.  On another note, what type of camera was doing the video, iphone, android or go pro?

Glad you found it helpful somewhat. I just used my Samsung Galaxy S5 Phone for the video, unfortunately don't have another video camera at the moment. Yeach I was hoping you could see ball flight a little better too, probably didn't help that it was a little overcast that day. As far as the yardage go...the only flag that was lined up with the camera was 150 so the 9 irons were flying to that green. On course distances were pretty similar comparing the CMBs and Hogans, maybe a touch longer on the CMBs when lofts were equal. But my typical full shot yardages go somewhat like this on a calm day:

4 iron 210-215

5 iron 200ish

6 iron 190

7 iron 175-180

8 iron 165

9 iron 150

PW 140

GW 130

Sw 110-115

Lob 90-95

It would've been nice if I had a flightscope/trackman or something!

WITB:

Nice post.  I remember both sets below.  The Ram's were pretty popular for a couple years and a light model was pretty popular for a while.  In fact, I googled them to see a picture when I first saw the Hogans - they reminded me of them that much.

Ahh...  PC's,  I think the sweet spot is even smaller than what you describe.  I had a set for a while.  Hit the sweet spot and it was a feeling of pure bliss.  I think I hit one low and off the toe on a 55 degree day in 1985and my hands are still vibrating. 

The closest thing to them in shape is the Golden Ram Tour Grind from the prime days of Tom Watson and Nancy Lopez-....

... I couldn't say this about all Hogan irons of the past, especially the Apex PC from the 80s.  Those had a sweet spot the size of a flea's junk.

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Archived