TESTERS WANTED! ×

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

Received my "new" hogan set from SNCGolf03 last week. Was able to sneak out once to play. Wish I had time to hit balls before I went out to play. These irons are about 1/4" longer, a degree weaker, also three degrees more upright, and three SW points lighter than my current set with different shafts that are lighter and with a different bend profile. Can you say bad fit? Haha

I will eventually do a formal review, but I'll provide a little info now. Methinks the v sole and I are going to have a battle.. I can't remember ever missing so many greens inside of 150 yards in my life. Took divots yet resulted in bladed shots right over the flag from 100-120. I was faced with one bunker shot and bladed the bastard over the green and into a pond. All in all- the irons are very forgiving. Being that this set was a bad fit for me, I rarely touched the sweet spot so was able to test the forgiveness. The older gentlemen I was paired with got a good laugh out of my battle with the v sole! I actually took a sharpie and drew numbers on the back of the irons because the loft stamps are stupid.

*** Highlight of the round- 23* from 223 yards landed ten yards short of pin and hit the stick for a nice little tap in eagle. Next hole I was 130 out and bladed a soft 47* over the green hahaha. When I get back from Italy in two weeks I'll bend these bad boys to my specs and give them a fair shake.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how people can react differently to things, even among us daigs.  Our man ap thinks the loft stampings are stupid and wrote club numbers on the clubs with a sharpie.  I've been calling for this change for years because the club number / loft correlations are so different from when the numbering protocol began. I LOVE the loft stampings and have not purchased metalwoods in the past if they had club numbers and not just the loft because I disagreed with the numbers; now I have that option with irons as well.  But ap has plenty of company because I've gotten comments from playing partners who also think, as does ap, that the loft stampings are stupid.

And ap, how did you end up with such poor fit when all you had to do was give them your specs?  Did you use their automated fitting questionnaire instead of over-riding it?  Those things are in my view a bad idea.  Once you've been fitted live and in person somewhere, you've got the correct specs for any clubs that you buy from anyone.  No need to be measured by somebody sitting at a PC or Mac in Texas!

Anyway, if the final review is negative, that's gonna happen. People don't all like the same things, and while I love my new Hogans, I've certainly experienced buyer's remorse with other purchases.

Have fun back on the "boot," ap.

ap has plenty of company because I've gotten comments from playing partners who also think, as does ap, that the loft stampings are stupid.

how did you end up with such poor fit when all you had to do was give them your specs? Did you use their automated fitting questionnaire instead of over-riding it? Those things are in my view a bad idea.

I didn't get these from Hogan. I traded $1500 worth of stuff to SNCgolf for this set. They are his specs, not mine.

Well, I guess stupid is the wrong word to describe the lofts vs numbers statement... How about... Confusing? Different? Unnecessary? How about unnecessarily confusing? Yea I'll go with that. If I keep these ill have Club Champion stamp the number on there. Why? Because when somebody asks what iron I hit there I'm not going to say "it was a three finger 43*." They're going to look at me with an unnecessarily confusing look.

It's kinda funny going now that I've tested the Hogan's and my regular clubs and now am going to play with the Srixon Z 545s 5 his morning, I feel like I'm going to miss the loft stampings! Looking at the spec sheet for the Z 545s, the lofts a quite a bit stronger throughout the set and if I had the loft stampings, I feel as though I'd be much better off as it would give me a better general idea of what yardage I would expect to hit them right off the bat.

AP, I think you come to realize after a round or 2, the loft stamping becomes second nature and a non-issue. I feel like you may even grow to like it! Change is hard sometimes!

I'll try and put a little write up somewhere in the future on the Srixons if I have time. Have a good Labor day everyone!

WITB:

Ping G30 9* (set to 10*)- Ping Tour 60 X

Ping G20 15* - Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 19* (set to 20*) - Graphite Design Deep Impact 80H X

Adams CMB 4-GW - TT Dynamic Gold Tour X100

Cobra Trusty Rusty 55* and 61* - TT S200

Taylormade New Spider Mallet 35"

AP - you get used to the V soles really fast. The bunker issue, well that takes time. I still struggle with them in sand and I am considering just throwing my Cally 62* Tour Grind in for bunker play and some flop shots around the green. I made a bogey today because I hit a sh!tty bunker shot then hit the same club from 103 yards to six inches for a kick in bird. The only thing that I can't do with the Hogan wedges is hit consistent bunker shots.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

AP - you get used to the V soles really fast. The bunker issue, well that takes time. I still struggle with them in sand and I am considering just throwing my Cally 62* Tour Grind in for bunker play and some flop shots around the green. I made a bogey today because I hit a sh!tty bunker shot then hit the same club from 103 yards to six inches for a kick in bird. The only thing that I can't do with the Hogan wedges is hit consistent bunker shots.

That's really odd, because I was a shitty bunker player (never any practice) until I got the SCORs with the v-sole.  Now I have no trouble getting out of bunkers.  I may not get as close as you pros, but if I can get out and have a reasonable putt, I'm happy.  I will never go back to my vokeys or Ping wedges.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played with the Titleist SM5 60* K grind for the first time yesterday and it was SO much easier for me out of the bunkers vs my Cobra Trusty Rusty and the Hogan TK. I was 2 for 2 for bunker saves.

WITB:

Ping G30 9* (set to 10*)- Ping Tour 60 X

Ping G20 15* - Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 19* (set to 20*) - Graphite Design Deep Impact 80H X

Adams CMB 4-GW - TT Dynamic Gold Tour X100

Cobra Trusty Rusty 55* and 61* - TT S200

Taylormade New Spider Mallet 35"

That's really odd, because I was a shitty bunker player (never any practice) until I got the SCORs with the v-sole.  Now I have no trouble getting out of bunkers.  I may not get as close as you pros, but if I can get out and have a reasonable putt, I'm happy.  I will never go back to my vokeys or Ping wedges.  

I too, had trouble in bunkers with my SCORs.  I loved them, with full and partial swings.  I tried mixing in a Nike Toe-Sweep with my SCORs, as a "real" sand wedge, but that just felt awkward, to me.

Most of the courses I played, prior to retirement, didn't have many bunkers, so I didn't realize how much of an issue that would be for me until last year.

I'm happy now with my Ping Glides, as they just seem to fit my game better overall.

I do think the V-sole is a great grind for irons, though!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

On the loft markings:  I am a creature of habit and it took me some time to get used to something different.  i have only recently "converted". I carry a chart in my bag for what the yardages are.  The last three rounds I have not used the chart at all.  It can take someone time.  But at the end of the day its more about knowing what the club is going to do than it is about what it says on the bottom of the club.

On sand play, I took a step back with the TK wedges over traditional wedges.  I started to try to make my swing more shallow and that has really helped. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I have not found the loft markings a problem.  I use a bag with 14 slots, so each iron has its own spot.  At first I found myself thinking "I am 150 from the green so I need my 7 iron, which is now my 36."  Pretty soon I just switched over to "I need my 36 for this shot."  In one way. the loft markings are easier than my old set.  Defending on which clubs I was using, I either had two 7 irons or 2 nine irons.  I played a combination set and my Mizuno and TM 7 irons were 4 degrees apart.

I play with the same group of guys and know their equipment to some extent.  We occasionally ask what club we used.  Before the switch, I had to adjust.  "I hit my TM7, which is really a 6."  Now I just tell them the loft and let them figure out how that relates to their set.    

My issue with them is technique. I play high bounce wedges and like to make a strong pass with a big thump....only works for me with 10 plus degrees of bounce. I just have to get more comfortable with a more square faced shot of of the bunker and I will be fine. Just have not got there yet.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I'm starting to spray my new Hogans foul-pole to foul-pole a little bit.  The UST Recoil 660s feel perfect, but they might be a little tip soft for me.  As I get comfortable with the new clubs, I may be--and I'm just speculating, here--swinging them a little harder.  The Aldila  NVPro 105s on my previous irons were starting to feel a little firm for me, but I was still launching reasonably well with them. 

I'm not rushing into any decisions.  I could conceivable re-shaft to Aldilas and need a softer, lighter shaft next year.  

Great discussion here, sorry I missed it in real time. Here's a couple of observations:

1. I'm using the Mashie-Niblick line, love it!

2. The lofts shouldn't be an issue although it would imagine they take a bit of getting used to. Since I bag 4 SCORs (but none a 7 or for years ago) I had to adjust and can easily translate for other golfers if they want to know what I hit. If Jason Day's GW is a 46 I don't fell badly about mine being a 48. When I get a bit older I'll just call the 44 my GW.

3. It took me a while to get used to the V sole. I almost gave up on it, now I'd never go back with my wedges, it's ridiculously efficient and versatile, at least for my swing.

4. If you want bounce open the blade, you'll be shocked at how much is there, it's very deceptive. I've gone from an horrific bunker player to average bordering on good.

5. T's blog post and comments in another thread have convinced me that the 44 will remain my strongest club in this line. While I'm not in love with my other irons I just don't have the type of game to play these clubs. Golf should be fun, not work. I have a day job, I go through two week periods where I can't find time to even hit a shot, I need mid and long irons that mitigate against that rust so that the game remains fun.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'll second this. I've never gotten out of a bunker with so much ease as the SCORs. Other than that though it's pretty much on par with everything else I have played.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Shot another round in the 70's this past weekend with them, a 79 to be exact.  I had many many opportunities to score, but my putter was like a serpent in my hands.  I haven't putted well for about a month and a half now for some reason... Haven't made a putt outside 8 feet in a while.  That 79, realistically could've been a 73-74 had I made a few 10-12 footers (some were birdies, 1 turned into a 3 putt bogey).

That's gonna be it for my golf for the forseeable future though.  We've got an outage at work starting this Saturday and we go on 7/12's.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

That's gonna be it for my golf for the forseeable future though.  We've got an outage at work starting this Saturday and we go on 7/12's.

Sorry to hear of your weekend dilema.  However, OT means for funds for more golf stuff :)

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Sorry to hear of your weekend dilema. However, OT means for funds for more golf stuff :)

My next check will have 50 hours and if we stay on it for the 3 weeks they say, the next one will have 88 hours on it

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Wooo Hoo!

My busy season is April & May.  Since I am salaried, I do not get OT.  That said, I work much OT during this period so I get an hour of Comp Time for every hour worked M-F after 9 hours plus all hours worked on the weekend.  This year, I earned 18.5 days(148 hours) of Comp Time. That's almost 2 paychecks.  Since my slow time is the Summer, I usually take off for vacations & golf outings through September.  I have to use all the comp time by Sept 30th.

Back to the Hogans......I am thinking that they will stay in your bag for the forseeable future.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'm already close to 500 hours OT this year. This will soar past that # lol.

I'm sure the hogans will get usage after all this. I may order some different wedge lofts though. Just to get closer to what I'm used to in the sand and around the greens

In The Bag

It's always a mixed bag with OT, isn't it Rookie.  We have new labor laws pertaining to OT and we've had to make our administrative assistants and custodian hourly.  I'm happy for them, particularly the custodian, because frankly I think that we abused them in the past.  Having written that I'm wondering when someone will make a labor law or any law that protects me. 

Supposedly I make too much money to qualify for anything.  It's a reasonable living but not anything that anyone here would consider outrageous or the type of money that would make it easy to provide for a wife (what stays at home to attend to our daughter's educational needs) and child.  In order to earn that living I'm on call 24/7 nearly every day of the year.  I regularly work a 60 hour week many of those hours being high stress - lots of life issues for parishioners and staff members.  My compensation is about half the norm for other people with my level of education/experience and responsibility - a good comparison would be the Principal of a larger Public High School.

On the plus side there are a lot of generous parishioners so I do at times have perks to offset the lack of income (Last year's gift of a van was huge).

So I'm happy for Rookie but on a pity pot today for myself (I don't do well when I start working at 6:30 AM after logging a 13 hour work day the day before.)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's always a mixed bag with OT, isn't it Rookie. We have new labor laws pertaining to OT and we've had to make our administrative assistants and custodian hourly. I'm happy for them, particularly the custodian, because frankly I think that we abused them in the past. Having written that I'm wondering when someone will make a labor law or any law that protects me.

Supposedly I make too much money to qualify for anything. It's a reasonable living but not anything that anyone here would consider outrageous or the type of money that would make it easy to provide for a wife (what stays at home to attend to our daughter's educational needs) and child. In order to earn that living I'm on call 24/7 nearly every day of the year. I regularly work a 60 hour week many of those hours being high stress - lots of life issues for parishioners and staff members. My compensation is about half the norm for other people with my level of education/experience and responsibility - a good comparison would be the Principal of a larger Public High School.

On the plus side there are a lot of generous parishioners so I do at times have perks to offset the lack of income (Last year's gift of a van was huge).

So I'm happy for Rookie but on a pity pot today for myself (I don't do well when I start working at 6:30 AM after logging a 13 hour work day the day before.)

Don't pity me lol. The OT pays well at time and a half plus we get a dollar per hour (minimum, sometimes there's a multiplier depending on the company's performance) of OT worked on our bonus as well. I've already got LaMont working on a new putter and I'll likely replace the grips on these with BestGrips after an experiment to see if I could get them to midsize.

In The Bag

The pity pot is for me Rookie - I'm happy for you - that's why it's a mixed bag - you make more money and at your stage of life I'm guessing that's a blessing - but of course you have less time because of it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The pity pot is for me Rookie - I'm happy for you - that's why it's a mixed bag - you make more money and at your stage of life I'm guessing that's a blessing - but of course you have less time because of it.

Your boss must be really tough to work for........ B)

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

:)  My boss is fine, it's his intermediaries that are running me ragged.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The FW15s have settled into the status where they're just my clubs and I don't think about them anymore.  The TK15s seem to be a little troublesome, although I'm sure that it's entirely in my head. 

All of the TK15s have pretty much the same sole grind as the irons, but I've gotten accustomed to a certain look in my wedges--the wedges that I'd typically use.   

Pitching wedges have fairly wide, flat, soles with little radius and little camber.  Sand irons have a very curved leading edge to part the sand with minimal resistance.  Lob wedges have very narrow soles with a complete absence of bounce.  

That's what I've gotten used to, but the Hogan TK15s are basically 10, 11, and 12-irons, all with the same Reid-Lockhart type sole that the FW15s have.. 

If I could turn off the distractions in my head, the TK15s are perfectly good wedges.  Because they don't look right, they give me an invalid excuse to miss-hit them.  My brain keeps looking for dull gray, stainless steel wedges that each have a unique sole to go with the loft.

It's nonsense, but I've got to convince my brain of that, and at my age, my brain is not what it was.

I'm already close to 500 hours OT this year. This will soar past that # lol.

I lost track of my OT for the year, but if I had to guess I normally work 90+ hours a week at 38 weeks so far this year.......I just need a new career!

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

• 4 weeks later...

Three things are now official:

1. I'm an aging recreational player who's no longer good enough to play with shiny, chromed blades.

2. The irons that are about to join the others decorating the perimeter of my man cave, joining a circle that begins with 1959 PowerBilt Citations, recently cost me $168 each.

3. I should be shot, and who's to say that I won't be?

Archived