TESTERS WANTED! ×

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

Hey Nifty

Not sure if I understand your post, although I sure get the "aging recreational player" part, loud and clear!

Are you saying that the Ben Hogans are too difficult for you to hit and are therefore being retired?  Did you get the full set of them?

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get all 44 of them, OceanSands, but I got the 28, 33, 38, 43, 48, 53, and 58.

They're great clubs and beautiful as well; they're just not as forgiving (or long) as dull gray stainless steel cavity backs in the hands of a geriatric player like myself.

I was taken in by the absence of club number stampings. I have this totally irrational but nonetheless visceral hatred of the fact that the club number / loft correlation on modern irons is two clubs stronger lofted than it was when club numbers first replaced club names on irons. By leaving off the club numbers and just stamping the actual lofts, Hogan addressed this problem for me. Too bad I don't play well enough to use classic blades which is what the Fort Worth 15 irons are.

I didn't get all 44 of them, OceanSands, but I got the 28, 33, 38, 43, 48, 53, and 58.

They're great clubs and beautiful as well; they're just not as forgiving (or long) as dull gray stainless steel cavity backs in the hands of a geriatric player like myself.

I was taken in by the absence of club number stampings. I have this totally irrational but nonetheless visceral hatred of the fact that the club number / loft correlation on modern irons is two clubs stronger lofted than it was when club numbers first replaced club names on irons. By leaving off the club numbers and just stamping the actual lofts, Hogan addressed this problem for me. Too bad I don't play well enough to use classic blades which is what the Fort Worth 15 irons are.

Hopefully they'll be developing a cavity backed compliment to the Ft Worth 15's.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Pretty cool video they put up recently

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysm66-KiZEQ

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

The New England golf season is drawing to a close, but I've got to get out a few more times before I give up on these clubs. Some of the disappointing shots are all me. With the fairways quiet, I need to hit the FW-15s side by side with the DCI 962s to get a better idea of how much of it is me as opposed to the equipment. The lofts don't match up club for club, but I'm mostly interested in the quality of the hit.

Why, one might ask, would one buy new irons that one isn't quite good enough to play?

Because they're the only new irons at which he can look without wincing. When did golf clubs get so busy-looking?  Even the old cavity backs like Titleist DCI 962s or Hogan Edges were neat and uncluttered looking.

CONTEMPORARY IRONS.gif

Why, one might ask, would one buy new irons that one isn't quite good enough to play?

Because they're the only new irons at which he can look without wincing. When did golf clubs get so busy-looking?  Even the old cavity backs like Titleist DCI 962s or Hogan Edges were neat and uncluttered looking.

If you're looking at that side while you hit you're doing it wrong :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That's true, meyer, but I'm just dealing with a major hangup. If I didn't have so many recent expenses, I'd be very tempted to invest in one of those vintage style hickory-shafted sets from Tad Moore or Louisville Golf.  They're not that different from the hand-me-down set that I was given as a boy in the 1950s.  I can't try to play with the latter because  they're a  sentimental family heirloom.

90% of the game is half mental... Modern clubs, even players clubs are 175 times more playable than their predecessors. I wouldn't put talent/HI numbers on any modern club honestly

In The Bag

• 1 month later...

For those of you that didn't receive BEN Hogan's recent email looks like they are introducing some new products in the next few weeks! Including hollow more forgiving heads being offered in the lower lofted irons and hybrids. Should be pretty sweet!

WITB:

Ping G30 9* (set to 10*)- Ping Tour 60 X

Ping G20 15* - Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 19* (set to 20*) - Graphite Design Deep Impact 80H X

Adams CMB 4-GW - TT Dynamic Gold Tour X100

Cobra Trusty Rusty 55* and 61* - TT S200

Taylormade New Spider Mallet 35"

90% of the game is half mental... Modern clubs, even players clubs are 175 times more playable than their predecessors. I wouldn't put talent/HI numbers on any modern club honestly

No doubt this is true but as Wishon said to me last week if you don't like the way it looks you won't hit it well.

As for me I will go with more forgiveness. M

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived