GolfSpy Barbajo

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

Hey Nifty

Not sure if I understand your post, although I sure get the "aging recreational player" part, loud and clear!

Are you saying that the Ben Hogans are too difficult for you to hit and are therefore being retired?  Did you get the full set of them?

I didn't get all 44 of them, OceanSands, but I got the 28, 33, 38, 43, 48, 53, and 58.

They're great clubs and beautiful as well; they're just not as forgiving (or long) as dull gray stainless steel cavity backs in the hands of a geriatric player like myself.

I was taken in by the absence of club number stampings. I have this totally irrational but nonetheless visceral hatred of the fact that the club number / loft correlation on modern irons is two clubs stronger lofted than it was when club numbers first replaced club names on irons. By leaving off the club numbers and just stamping the actual lofts, Hogan addressed this problem for me. Too bad I don't play well enough to use classic blades which is what the Fort Worth 15 irons are.

I didn't get all 44 of them, OceanSands, but I got the 28, 33, 38, 43, 48, 53, and 58.

They're great clubs and beautiful as well; they're just not as forgiving (or long) as dull gray stainless steel cavity backs in the hands of a geriatric player like myself.

I was taken in by the absence of club number stampings. I have this totally irrational but nonetheless visceral hatred of the fact that the club number / loft correlation on modern irons is two clubs stronger lofted than it was when club numbers first replaced club names on irons. By leaving off the club numbers and just stamping the actual lofts, Hogan addressed this problem for me. Too bad I don't play well enough to use classic blades which is what the Fort Worth 15 irons are.

Hopefully they'll be developing a cavity backed compliment to the Ft Worth 15's.

The New England golf season is drawing to a close, but I've got to get out a few more times before I give up on these clubs. Some of the disappointing shots are all me. With the fairways quiet, I need to hit the FW-15s side by side with the DCI 962s to get a better idea of how much of it is me as opposed to the equipment. The lofts don't match up club for club, but I'm mostly interested in the quality of the hit.

Why, one might ask, would one buy new irons that one isn't quite good enough to play?

Because they're the only new irons at which he can look without wincing. When did golf clubs get so busy-looking?  Even the old cavity backs like Titleist DCI 962s or Hogan Edges were neat and uncluttered looking.

CONTEMPORARY IRONS.gif

• Like 1

Why, one might ask, would one buy new irons that one isn't quite good enough to play?

Because they're the only new irons at which he can look without wincing. When did golf clubs get so busy-looking?  Even the old cavity backs like Titleist DCI 962s or Hogan Edges were neat and uncluttered looking.

If you're looking at that side while you hit you're doing it wrong :)

• Like 1

That's true, meyer, but I'm just dealing with a major hangup. If I didn't have so many recent expenses, I'd be very tempted to invest in one of those vintage style hickory-shafted sets from Tad Moore or Louisville Golf.  They're not that different from the hand-me-down set that I was given as a boy in the 1950s.  I can't try to play with the latter because  they're a  sentimental family heirloom.

• Like 1

90% of the game is half mental... Modern clubs, even players clubs are 175 times more playable than their predecessors. I wouldn't put talent/HI numbers on any modern club honestly

• Like 2

For those of you that didn't receive BEN Hogan's recent email looks like they are introducing some new products in the next few weeks! Including hollow more forgiving heads being offered in the lower lofted irons and hybrids. Should be pretty sweet!

• Like 2

90% of the game is half mental... Modern clubs, even players clubs are 175 times more playable than their predecessors. I wouldn't put talent/HI numbers on any modern club honestly

No doubt this is true but as Wishon said to me last week if you don't like the way it looks you won't hit it well.

As for me I will go with more forgiveness. M