GolfSpy Barbajo

FORUM MEMBER REVIEWS! Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15 Irons/TK15 Wedges

Our Sponsors

I'm in for that. And you're always welcome to crash here overnight if you want to come down and play a few rounds.

• Like 1

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Thanks for that dude! We will have to get something setup! Anyone else from the PA area, feel free to get in touch as well! Let's get something setup!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Absolutely true. Good point Friday!

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Trust me Shawn I'd suggest the whole forum and half the state of Western Australia will know if I go ahead and get these babies.  By the way all you MGS forum dwellers if you are ever here in the Western Australia I am available to be your golf tour guide especially so if you have a set of Hogan's that I can have a hit of ;)

• Like 1

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Haha. That's pretty good. I imagine you standing on top of a mountain and telling about your new Hogans!

• Like 2

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Over the weekend, I visited my son in Minneapolis.  I set up a fitting for the clubs at Second Swing Golf.  The fitting took place in their "Tour Van" section, housed next door to the main store.  

The fitting started with me swinging a standard club lined with white sensors.  The pro used the swings to build a 3-D model of my swing.  The pro described it as a Mizuno shaft fitting on steroids.  We looked at the numbers and he said I needed 1 1/2 degrees upright--which is how my Scor wedges are set up.  I then hit a number of shots with different shafts and heads.  I liked the feel of the Hogans best.  They felt very similar to my Scor wedges.  My hope that the clubs would play like the Scors seems to be affirmed, at least hitting into a net.  

I found the experience of hitting different shafts with the same head very interesting.  I was a bit surprised that the feeling I had from each shaft was confirmed by the numbers.

I'm an old fart, so I ended up liking and having the best numbers with the Mamiya graphite/composite shaft.  The lighter weight of the shaft gave me a higher ball speed and it felt right to me--I have graphite shafts in my current irons and wedges.  I also hit irons 4 degrees apart to check if a 4 degree spacing of lofts would work for me.  The numbers said it should.   

I ended up ordering the Hogans--big surprise there.  I ordered 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, and 60.  I thought about not replacing my wedges, but decided to go completely new.  I plan on having these clubs for years, so I decided to start fresh with a completely matched set.  A bit extravagant, I know.  The store has a long term "maintenance" policy on the clubs.  They will check the clubs for any changes in loft or lie and can bend the clubs later if I find, for example,  I need a slightly different set up in the long irons than the short irons, or I find I have an unusual yardage gap between any of the clubs.     

The store ordered the clubs for me and they will be sent to Minneapolis where they will be checked for loft and lie and then sent to me.  

Other than grips, I ended up with the same set I would have ordered off Hogan Fit.  Nevertheless, I am glad I got the specs confirmed by the fitting.  The pro who did the fitting didn't know about my Hogan fit numbers, so it was a "blind" fitting.  If, however, you have gone through fittings in the past, those numbers should work for Hogan Fit.       

• Like 4

@ springbok I can understand how you might think that but this is review number 1 and it's his first time reviewing.  He did an incredible job of it but there are five more to come - I would wait until you have the full compliment to see what the consensus is.

I think that Sean's encouragement to call before ordering is huge!  Online fitting is a starting point, always! 

I'm not as convinced that a $1,900 investment is worth it.  Would I be $1,900 better or $1,000 better (that's the difference between the number of Hogans I would purchase to replace what's currently in my bag irons and wedges) or ($700) better, the cost if I replaced just my Wilson's that I bag with the Hogans?  That's a question that I have to ask myself.  Sean's great review helps me to understand the Benefit's of the Hogans.  To me it seems that they perform very much like SCORs.  But we will see from the other reviews.

Having written several reviews for MGS I can say that I was never influenced to write something positive and that I never had a negative edited out of a review.  I'm confident that the results we read will be accurate to what the reviewers experienced.

• Like 4

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Friday,

It sounds like you had a really positive experience in your fitting! At the end of the day I'm happy you found a set of clubs that works for you, and I find it really interesting to have it reaffirmed how similar these are to the score clubs.

Springbok, I can see where you look at my scoring and since the clubs were provides for me, how that could be taken as the numbers being inflated.

That's not the case at all. The scores are strong because the clubs are fantastic. I felt that they warranted the score they received, and that's that. You're obviously welcome to your opinion. I know that my opinions provides in my review are strictly that. My opinions on the clubs and my perceived benefits from using the clubs, how they fit into their branding, and all that was outlined is as such.

And Rev, first off thank you, and second I see your stance. Obviously there are lower costing clubs our there to buy. You have to make the decision on whether you think these irons provide what you're looking for.

I can say that replacing the irons seems like the minimum choice to make, and you need to kind of go through the same process as Friday and decide whether or not the matching wedges to your irons is worth it.

One thing I do really like is having matching shafts in my irons ans wedges. It really helps to maintain the same feel between clubs!

• Like 1

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

And Rev, first off thank you, and second I see your stance. Obviously there are lower costing clubs our there to buy. You have to make the decision on whether you think these irons provide what you're looking for.

I can say that replacing the irons seems like the minimum choice to make, and you need to kind of go through the same process as Friday and decide whether or not the matching wedges to your irons is worth it.

One thing I do really like is having matching shafts in my irons ans wedges. It really helps to maintain the same feel between clubs!

Rev and I are in the same situation.  We aren't going to replace our SCORs.  Although from your review, it sounds like the wedges are every bit as good and play similar to the SCORs, I see no reason to change.  Since my SCORs go to 42* or the equivalent of a 9-iron, I would only consider replacing my 5-8 Ping i20's.  I might even consider only the 6, 7, and 8 equivalent unless I can easily hit the 5 equivalent.  Four clubs would be about $650 which is worth considering if they feel and work great.

Now we get to the shaft.  In my SCORs I have the Genius 9 graphite, a proprietary SCOR shaft made by using the UST ProForce 95 shaft.  I love the shaft and how the SCORs work with it; excellent distance and control.  This shaft is not offered with the Hogans.  They went with the Recoil 600 series which is lighter.  The Recoil 95 is an upgrade and that may be close, but I will need to swing a 38* Hogan with each shaft along side my 42* SCOR.  Depending on the fitter, that may be possible with the 600 series but I seriously doubt anyone will have the upgrade shaft available.  So, if I decide to get the Hogans, it will be a guess what shaft to choose.  Could be a "swing and a miss".

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kenny a few thoughts here...

First off, I totally get where you and Rev are coming from. Why replace the same club with the same club if it's doing it's job for you? It's one thing if they're worn down or something of that nature, but they sound perfectly serviceable.

This is where I beat my drum again as well. I'd make a large bet that a lot of the guys and girls at Hogan are carry overs from the Scor team. I'd be very curious to see how they work through this with you concerning the shafts and find the right fit for you.

As a very inexperienced shaft guy, it sounds like the Recoil 95 shafts would be the perfect fit. I think a phone call and a visit are in order!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Rev and I are in the same situation.  We aren't going to replace our SCORs.  Although from your review, it sounds like the wedges are every bit as good and play similar to the SCORs, I see no reason to change.  Since my SCORs go to 42* or the equivalent of a 9-iron, I would only consider replacing my 5-8 Ping i20's.  I might even consider only the 6, 7, and 8 equivalent unless I can easily hit the 5 equivalent.  Four clubs would be about $650 which is worth considering if they feel and work great.

Now we get to the shaft.  In my SCORs I have the Genius 9 graphite, a proprietary SCOR shaft made by using the UST ProForce 95 shaft.  I love the shaft and how the SCORs work with it; excellent distance and control.  This shaft is not offered with the Hogans.  They went with the Recoil 600 series which is lighter.  The Recoil 95 is an upgrade and that may be close, but I will need to swing a 38* Hogan with each shaft along side my 42* SCOR.  Depending on the fitter, that may be possible with the 600 series but I seriously doubt anyone will have the upgrade shaft available.  So, if I decide to get the Hogans, it will be a guess what shaft to choose.  Could be a "swing and a miss".

Were it me, personally, I'd order them stock and have the shafts swapped out myself.  You like the SCOR you have now with the Genius.  I'd order the ProForce RV2 95 Gold shafts for them.  That's if I wanted to do the work and felt confident that I could get the shafts in the heads and that those are what I'd definitely want to go with.

If I wasn't 100% certain, I'd contact Bobby Ennis with the UST Mamiya Tour Studio, though, just to make certain that would be his recommendation as well, as no one out there knows UST product better than Bobby.  I've got his personal number if any of you need it and want to contact him to ask him.  He'll be able to direct you in the right way and he can sell you the shafts you'd need as well.  If you want to get in touch with him, shoot me a PM.  He's very open to helping people and he can recommend the shaft for you and either sell it to you or you can check and see if Hogan offers it.  

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Kenny a few thoughts here...

First off, I totally get where you and Rev are coming from. Why replace the same club with the same club if it's doing it's job for you? It's one thing if they're worn down or something of that nature, but they sound perfectly serviceable.

This is where I beat my drum again as well. I'd make a large bet that a lot of the guys and girls at Hogan are carry overs from the Scor team. I'd be very curious to see how they work through this with you concerning the shafts and find the right fit for you.

As a very inexperienced shaft guy, it sounds like the Recoil 95 shafts would be the perfect fit. I think a phone call and a visit are in order!

Shawn,

I plan on making the trip to a fitter in Seattle, and I will certainly call Hogan before making any decision.

Were it me, personally, I'd order them stock and have the shafts swapped out myself.  You like the SCOR you have now with the Genius.  I'd order the ProForce RV2 95 Gold shafts for them.  That's if I wanted to do the work and felt confident that I could get the shafts in the heads and that those are what I'd definitely want to go with.

If I wasn't 100% certain, I'd contact Bobby Ennis with the UST Mamiya Tour Studio, though, just to make certain that would be his recommendation as well, as no one out there knows UST product better than Bobby.  I've got his personal number if any of you need it and want to contact him to ask him.  He'll be able to direct you in the right way and he can sell you the shafts you'd need as well.  If you want to get in touch with him, shoot me a PM.  He's very open to helping people and he can recommend the shaft for you and either sell it to you or you can check and see if Hogan offers it.  

Thanks Rookie,

Depending on what I get from Hogan, I may contact you.  I got the info on the SCOR UST shaft from Jamie Pipes.  He worked for UST, but is now on staff at Ben Hogan Golf.  He has been very helpful.  I don't think UST makes the 95 anymore; only the 75.  It seems that they are invested in the Recoil shafts, which are probably as good or better.  It may be the best approach to find the optimum shaft for the Hogans, and bite the bullet and reshaft the SCORs to match.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Shawn,

I plan on making the trip to a fitter in Seattle, and I will certainly call Hogan before making any decision.

Thanks Rookie,

Depending on what I get from Hogan, I may contact you. I got the info on the SCOR UST shaft from Jamie Pipes. He worked for UST, but is now on staff at Ben Hogan Golf. He has been very helpful. I don't think UST makes the 95 anymore; only the 75. It seems that they are invested in the Recoil shafts, which are probably as good or better. It may be the best approach to find the optimum shaft for the Hogans, and bite the bullet and reshaft the SCORs to match.

I'll tell you the Recoils load much differently as far as the 95/115/125 are concerned. They also have higher torque values. You can still get the ProForce 95's, I'm sure Bobby has them or access to them honestly. If you were going recoil, I'd go 600 series as they load much more like your traditional graphite than the weight numbered series do. The weight numbered series are much more like steel.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I'll tell you the Recoils load much differently as far as the 95/115/125 are concerned. They also have higher torque values. You can still get the ProForce 95's, I'm sure Bobby has them or access to them honestly. If you were going recoil, I'd go 600 series as they load much more like your traditional graphite than the weight numbered series do. The weight numbered series are much more like steel.

THAT's what I need to find out.  I have always like the feel of the weight of steel.  I think that is why I love the SCOR UST 95g shaft.  But I lost the ability to properly load a steel shaft a few years ago.  Ball straight; not very far, and not very high; and it was hard on my elbows!  

The SCORs are much better.  High ball flight, good distance (for me), and very controllable.  I did try the lighter 75g SCOR shaft before I bought them, and didn't like it very much.  I will head to a fitter in the next month or so, and see if the Recoils will work, but I am somewhat concerned that the 600's will feel too light.  If they don't have one, maybe I will order a 600 shaft and try it out.

Thanks for all the info.

THAT's what I need to find out. I have always like the feel of the weight of steel. I think that is why I love the SCOR UST 95g shaft. But I lost the ability to properly load a steel shaft a few years ago. Ball straight; not very far, and not very high; and it was hard on my elbows!

The SCORs are much better. High ball flight, good distance (for me), and very controllable. I did try the lighter 75g SCOR shaft before I bought them, and didn't like it very much. I will head to a fitter in the next month or so, and see if the Recoils will work, but I am somewhat concerned that the 600's will feel too light. If they don't have one, maybe I will order a 600 shaft and try it out.

Thanks for all the info.

The 680 isn't too light. I'd start there. The 660 felt nice to me when I tried it in an Apex head a while back. It was an s flex so I had to let off a little bit they're solid shafts

In The Bag

Man,

Rookie you always impress me with your knowledge on all of the shafts out there. Just pure awesome. This kind of stuff (the conversation Kenny and Rookie are having) is what I love about golf forums.

I hope you find something that works well for you man!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

SNC,

great review dude! Loved the in depth comparisons to your current gamers! Man do I wish I had your distance...

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Really great discussion guys. While I make a reasonable living I don't have unlimited resources so there's no way I'm replacing my SCORs with Hogan equivalents. The SCORs work great. I would have to try a hogan mid iron, something in the 20's with the proper shaft before I would consider pulling the trigger. For cripes sake I've shot a competitive 69 with my current bag, I can't even begin to understand why I'm even talking about this.

Oh yeah I'm a golfer and my last two sets of irons have been uglier than sin these are beautiful, that"s why. :)

• Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them