TESTERS WANTED! ×

Joined a Country Club

jbil8802

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotten my butt handed to me by "old" guys enough time to know age is nothing but a number haha.

But I get what he meant by course layout; flat, 300yd par 4s, 400yd par 5s. But you still got to get the ball in the hole regardless.

That's definitely not the course layout at the Country Club I played last year! ;)  Fairways were fairly wide, but it's actually a reasonably challenging course, and "standard length."  The greens are some of the best in the area.  The grounds are just better maintained than most and the rough is generally not as treacherous.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Not sure if this is the norm but every CC I've played, maybe 4 or 5 of them, seems like it was designed to accommodate old old dudes. They are short and straight. Always in immaculate condition but don't seem like courses I would like to play regularly. Would get too boring,

I'm going another way here. My experience is that private clubs are typically more difficult than public courses. There are always exceptions and certainly the gap has narrowed over the past 20 years but consider Winged Foot, Oakmont, Oakland Hills, Firestone and on and on and on it goes. As a 14 you'd want no part of my club from the tips 74.6/144 even the blues are a handful at 72.5/139. I have to play well to break 80.

The course is a Fazio design that was built so that a touring pro might be happy with the layout, we have two LPGA members and a couple of Champions tour dudes among our membership. Our sister course which is public used to host a tour event but our course is far more difficult and certainly more interesting.

For us "old" dudes we have a set of tees that still have some game we have a very nice set of tees that's a blend between the blue and whites 71.2/130. Even at that there are 3 par 4's over 400 on the front, at Sea level on the wet Florida turf. The course plays very long.

The biggest concern about joining a club is whether or not you want to tie yourself to the people and the course. It's easy in Florida because it's so transient here that there is always going to be an influx of new people. So here it's more about the course.

Having written that I've spent most of my life playing public courses. I fully enjoy both experiences.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

"For us "old" dudes we have a set of tees that still have some game we have a very nice set of tees that's a blend between the blue and whites 71.2/130."

Maybe that's a Country Club thing, but Brookings Country Club was the first course I'd ever played that mixed blue and white for the "Silver Tees."

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Lake Austin Country club ?  hahahahahahaha

uh....no.

lookin at ColaVista

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

uh....no.

lookin at ColaVista

Who ain't got $30k laying around? Haha

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Gotten my butt handed to me by "old" guys enough time to know age is nothing but a number haha.

But I get what he meant by course layout; flat, 300yd par 4s, 400yd par 5s. But you still got to get the ball in the hole regardless.

My point exactly. I'd just have a hard time paying CC fees for a boring course that I wouldn't want to play every day. If I'm only hitting 9 irons in on par 5's its not for me. I'm not a great golfer but I like a challenge. I'm sure there are CC's that are long and tough but I haven't played any.

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

My point exactly. I'd just have a hard time paying CC fees for a boring course that I wouldn't want to play every day. If I'm only hitting 9 irons in on par 5's its not for me. I'm not a great golfer but I like a challenge. I'm sure there are CC's that are long and tough but I haven't played any.

I don't know what the CC's are where you are playing (by CC's, I mean one with a significant downstroke of several K, and a 4-7K annual dues hit), but everyone single one I've played in Wisconsin, Illinois and Florida is at least a 128 slope, and usually in the 130s.  Although they often have tees accommodating the old folks, the regular tees are definitely not 9 irons on second shots on par 5s.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Here's the course ratings for the CC I played last year.  There's also a "Silver Tee" section on the cards, that's a mix of blue and white.

MEN'S
RATING - SLOPE -White 68.3 -121 / Blue 70.4 126 / Black 72.8 129

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm going another way here. My experience is that private clubs are typically more difficult than public courses. There are always exceptions and certainly the gap has narrowed over the past 20 years but consider Winged Foot, Oakmont, Oakland Hills, Firestone and on and on and on it goes. As a 14 you'd want no part of my club from the tips 74.6/144 even the blues are a handful at 72.5/139. I have to play well to break 80.

The course is a Fazio design that was built so that a touring pro might be happy with the layout, we have two LPGA members and a couple of Champions tour dudes among our membership. Our sister course which is public used to host a tour event but our course is far more difficult and certainly more interesting.

For us "old" dudes we have a set of tees that still have some game we have a very nice set of tees that's a blend between the blue and whites 71.2/130. Even at that there are 3 par 4's over 400 on the front, at Sea level on the wet Florida turf. The course plays very long.

Let me know when you can play.....and I'll take a day off and join you Rev.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Here's the course ratings for the CC I played last year.  There's also a "Silver Tee" section on the cards, that's a mix of blue and white.

MEN'S
RATING - SLOPE -White 68.3 -121 / Blue 70.4 126 / Black 72.8 129

Looks very similar to our private CC.  This course has a lot of elevation change.

White:  68.9 - 123 /  Blue:  71.3 - 127 /  Gold  73.3 - 132  with the Golds playing 7000 yards

This course used to host a Hogan/Nike/Buy.com/Nationwide/Web.com tournament until the members decided that they didn't want to give up their golf for a week!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just checked the local CC's stats. Its a 71.4 rating with a 121 from the black tees. 6,700 yards. So not hard but it is in great great condition and I very rarely have to deal with jack asses when I play so thats a plus.

Got an opportunity to play the Sawgrass CC (across the street from TPC Sawgrass and original home of the Players).  Played the East/West nines (original course).  70.5 and 137 from the Whites.  6250.  For the three of us who weren't members, it absolutely ate our lunch.  

Let me know when you can play.....and I'll take a day off and join you Rev.

Let's wait for the new greens to come in, mid August. @Jax, that's what I'm talking about. That course used to eat the guys on tour alive. I've heard there is a 10 mph difference in the wind between there and your course. Was that true?

KFilly I don't know what options you have in your area but I would try some other clubs. I'm thinking there is going to be something more to your liking. I got so lucky with mine. It fits Jax's description but they've waved the buy in fee for anyone joining during the green project. Saved me 7k and made it affordable.

I'm telling you my course would not bore you, it might frustrate the heck out of you because one bad swing could destroy your round, but it won't bore you and you will not have wedges into the par 5's even if your playing the green tees.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Let's wait for the new greens to come in, mid August. @Jax, that's what I'm talking about. That course used to eat the guys on tour alive. I've heard there is a 10 mph difference in the wind between there and your course. Was that true?

KFilly I don't know what options you have in your area but I would try some other clubs. I'm thinking there is going to be something more to your liking. I got so lucky with mine. It fits Jax's description but they've waved the buy in fee for anyone joining during the green project. Saved me 7k and made it affordable.

I'm telling you my course would not bore you, it might frustrate the heck out of you because one bad swing could destroy your round, but it won't bore you and you will not have wedges into the par 5's even if your playing the green tees.

Yeah, its not the money, they are all fairly reasonable around here but I've played all CC's near me and they are built to keep the geriatrics with $$$'s confidence up. It is what it is. The local public courses are pretty solid not in as good of condition but not bad and are a hell of a lot more fun.

No initiation fees or food and bar minimum. Just a flat monthly rate so that was a selling point. The course is 6900 from the tips with plenty of trees, OB, and water. It's definitely one of the more challenging courses around here. It's known for it's greens as well. Much faster than anywhere I've ever played. They're in the process of finishing up a two bay fitting/instruction building that will have launch monitors and a simulator to get us through the winter months.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

@Jax, that's what I'm talking about. That course used to eat the guys on tour alive. I've heard there is a 10 mph difference in the wind between there and your course. Was that true?

Yes, absolutely, especially in the spring when NE winds off the ocean predominate.  Even in the summer, the afternoon ocean breezes kick up quite a bit.  Most of the east nine is just across a beach road from the ocean.  Also, every green is elevated and protected by bunkers, so a run up to the green just does not exist.  

Actually that's more of what I've experienced with private clubs - the course is too difficult to enjoy.  It's nice to be rewarded for a good round.  I had a friend who was a member of a club in CT that was so difficult, hilly, tight and super deep rough, it was just about impossible to break 80 and in fact the course record was only 68 - that was Bob Tway.  If they just would have brought the rough down a bit and thinned out the woods it might have been manageable.

And I'm very straight off the tee. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm a member of a golf club currently. There's a difference in my book. I've also been a member of several "Country Clubs" as well. Country Clubs can be a strange animal. At one club in particular I recall my gradual withdrawal from the club life. I discovered that I really didn't like the members all that much. Great golf course for sure. My take and eventual resignation from the club was due to the phony pompous air a large majority of the members displayed. Oh sure, there were many that I liked. But most of them were flat out asses. Some of the friends I made there have since quit for much the same reasons. What was funny is that a lot of the jackass members thought they were special for some reason and "owned" the club. They liked to act like they were special or some such crap. I observed how they treated club employees at times. Sickening. Many were financial train wrecks as time has proven. But many of these members weren't just phony's and jackasses around the club. Sometimes I'd see them out on the town in different places and they were AH's there too. Perhaps they weren't phony's after all. They were jackasses full time. LOL

Personally, and I've I've never known of a country club to offer but, if I were to even consider joining another "Country Club" I'd first ask for a one or two month trial if possible. I'll go there and use the club fully and a lot. Perhaps because of past disappointments or mistakes even; I can't see coughing up a wad of dough just to join. I'm a Golf Club member today due to many reasons but most importantly is because of golf and golf only. I'm not the slightest bit interested in paying for fancy dining, tennis courts, spa, pool, valets, etc. I chose a great course offering a great golf experience. Sure my club has a modest pro shop, casual food service, and locker rooms but that's about it. I joined to play golf as did everyone else. Moral of my story is buyer beware. Think about what you are truly looking for and are willing to shell out. If you are primarily only interested in golf why pay the overhead for everything else you'll probably never use. Being able to tell everyone you're Country Club member at Big Shot Hills can be expensive.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

It's got to be about the golf and the people whom you are able to play with.  Anything else is icing on the cake assuming you have a family that wants it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Okay, that will work. Our greens have been punched twice and they are now beginning to roll very nice. The fairways at Pebble are pristine right now....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

@Foz they are putting new grass on our greens and restoring the design to their original size. It's fun to watch. First they marked off where the new greens would extend to. Then they worked on the drainage on several holes to help with the greens themselves. Then they applied some sort of chemical to kill the grass on the greens. That process took about two weeks. Next they scraped off what was left, put down another chemical to inhibit any growth and then laid down a two inch layer of fertilized top soil. Now they've planted the sprigs which were brought in from a turf farm in North Carolina. They are watering the heck out of the greens. We are suppose to be able to play on them in mid August. Looking at them I believe it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

In NJ  by my place there was two private courses, a few county owned courses and a few that were public and run by towns or by private companies. The private courses were always supposed to be in better condition because of less foot traffic. The course I played was public and when it got to summer there were plenty of times the course could/should have shut down for a week to let it heal. After they got a new superintendent, the course despite the traffic is still one of the nicer. Ironically, it's about a quarter mile from one of trumps playgrounds. Don't get me wrong trumps may be in better shape, but I'll take the public and it's charms over it.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Played 27 today. First 18 was in the Sunday Men's Open that they do. Anyone can register. Pay $10 and they do different formats each week. Didn'the play great but had a great time even though I didn't know anyone and got to meet some good people. Ended up playing 9 more afterwards with 2 friends.

Also walked for the first time today thanks to the push cart suggestion from undershooter30. Really enjoyed. Probably shouldn't have walked all 27 since I haven't done cardio in 3 years. I'm sure I'll feel it tomorrow but I'll survive. Did wear the kentwools thanks to GolfSpyBarbajo. I'm sure they saved my feet with how wet it was.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Well, the course was already backing up by the time I got there this morning, so I just went to the practice area.  I was striking the ball well and had a good session chipping and putting.

Tomorrow, daytime players will have the course back ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I played 14 holes late this afternoon and thought a lot about my course. I love everything about it except one thing, too many cart paths in play. I did hit one drive 272 with the aid of one though. Down the right side, didn't draw quote enough because of the wind but made it back into the fairway with a little help from my friend. Had a wedge instead of a 8 iron from the rough, that was nice. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My wife and I only played 9 holes today. We got to the course about 6:15am and people were already on the course. The sprinklers are cycling around the course 24 hours a day just to keep up with the heat. Yesterday it was 113*. Today about the same. Makes for an interesting round when sprinklers are in play, and pop up when you don't expect it! No birdies for me today, but my wife got one!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The post by Plaid Jacket above is one of the best posts I think I've seen on joining a private club.  That includes any club full stop but is probably more applicable to golf/sporting clubs.  Well done mate it was a well thought out and very thought provoking post.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so here's what Bayou is offering me to stay past the summer:

A second new member package that includes a free lesson, a round with the pro, Locker for two years, bag storage, wine tasting, meal, half price drinks on Friday nights. Two years discount for a referral ( plus I have another referral on top of that). Oh and six free guest rounds (those range between 45 and 90 per round.

I'm in! Health and job permitting I'm in for the duration.

Foz as soon as those greens are up and running, you're my first guest and if Damon is lurking he can join us.

Oh and they just announced that they are reinstated a buy in but any of us who joined this summer are exempt.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Okay so here's what Bayou is offering me to stay past the summer:

A second new member package that includes a free lesson, a round with the pro, Locker for two years, bag storage, wine tasting, meal, half price drinks on Friday nights. Two years discount for a referral ( plus I have another referral on top of that). Oh and six free guest rounds (those range between 45 and 90 per round.

I'm in! Health and job permitting I'm in for the duration.

Foz as soon as those greens are up and running, you're my first guest and if Damon is lurking he can join us.

Oh and they just announced that they are reinstated a buy in but any of us who joined this summer are exempt.

Sounds like a deal that you can't pass up.......Congrats!  Can't wait to give Bayou Club a spin around the links.

Archived