Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

The OFFICIAL US Open Discussion Thread

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

mgsopen-lg.jpg

America's Championship is here.

Can Phil complete the career Grand Slam? Will Tiger survive into the weekend? What about Rory or one of the other young guns? Is there a darkhorse in the field? Is this Ian Poulter's year to shine?

It should be a truly fantastic four days for golf. Here's hoping a playoff makes it 5.

If what we're all hearing about Chambers Bay proves to be true, we'll have plenty to talk about over the next few days.

We invite you to join the conversation with other passionate golfers while having a chance to win one of more than a dozen really cool prizes will be giving away throughout the tournament.

Watch, discuss, and win. It's just that simple.

The Prizes:

prizes2.jpg

(see the http://www.mygolfspy.com for larger images)

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am giddy with anticipation. I was already fired up about the US Open, and now that we have an official thread, and a mysterious purpose to be explained tomorrow.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Dare I be controversial?  From my point of view I think as far as prestige goes the British Open is the one followed by a bee's dick behind is the US Open.  Both are incredible tournaments and highly desirable when it comes to winning but both are played on totally different styles of course.  The British is of course links golf at its best in the style that it all began all that time ago in sunny Scotland.  The US is far more about target golf and hitting fairways and greens.  It is interesting to see this years US open on a links style course and what happens when the wind blows hard if it blows hard.

I'm really looking forward to watching to see who comes out on top.  There's so many great golfers taking part it's a hard one to make a call on.  Go the Aussies! :)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Psyched for the Open - so many storylines to follow!! Can Phil phinally do it? Will The Age of Rory firmly take hold? Is Jordan the "chosen one?" Will Rickie build on his Player's Title? Can the world take another major from Bubba? Is there a Kaymer-like Dark Horse out there? And what to make of Tiger?  

These things make majors fun.

Go Phil...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

First the course- I have played this course and it's going to be awesome to see these guys play it. It is a very strange selection for the U.S. Open though. I believe we are going to see the players that play well in the British Open dominate this tournament.

I think Rose is in great form and usually plays well in majors. He also plays well in the British Open which this course is going to play very similar to.

Fowler is my next guy to watch. After his win he is playing well and very confident and he really enjoys links style golf.

Rory after his performance at his own tournament has me very unsure on what to expect. His distance is going to be an advantage on this course as he will be able to fly most of the trouble. His driver will determine his success this week.

Spieth and his putting will have him in the hunt. His success is going to depend on how well he putts from 5-15'

Tiger.... I have no idea

Phil I think will be in the mix and he will have a good shot considering this isn't a standard US Open course. This week might be his best chance to complete the career grand slam.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

• SPY VIP

labworx-3.jpg

Contest has been announced. It's pretty straight-forward.

Watch, Discuss, Win.

We'll be giving away prizes throughout the tournament. The grand prize is a one-of-a-kind, Red, White, and Blue PING Ketsch putter from LABWORX.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I think this is going to be a cool open. I got my draftkings lineup all set...An, Kisner, Leishman, Martin, Matsuyama, McIlroy. We'll see how they do,  I was really torn between McIlroy and Rose.

In my Bag

Driver- Taylormade RBZ 10.5 w/ Matrix Black Tie Stiff

3 Wood- Taylormade R11s 15 w/ Matore Speeder 7.3 Stiff

Hybrids- Adams Super LS 19 w/ Kuro Kage Stiff      Adams Super 9031 23 w/ Diamana D+ Stiff

Irons- Mizuno MP-60 5-9 w/ TT Black Gold Stiff

Wedges- Scor 48,51,55,59 KBS Genius Stiff

Putter- Rife Aussie

Ball- ProV1x

This is great. Get to watch and talk about golf and win a prize. YES! US Open will be very interesting this year. Links golf and only 1 tree. Fairways will run like a pool table and the greens are hard and fast like a hardwood floor. Who will come out on top. The golfer that can keep his head straight and in the now. Take the course as it comes and what it gives you. Don't try and take more, don't be greedy. I'm oulling for Rickie to get his 1st but I do think this is what Tiger has been waiting for. Just wait and see. Have a great days of watching everyone. Good luck all. Thanks Myspygolf and all the company's that have put up all these great prizes.

Really looking forward to hearing how the pros like the course after the first round.  Plenty have voiced opinions beforehand, but if scores are low I wonder how the narrative will go.  As the promo says "These guys are good"  time to go out and show it.

I can't wait to see how everyone plays. I don't think Phil will win but he will definitely make a run at it. I'm putting my money on Bubba. It just looks like this course is set up for his style of play.

I'm super excited for this tournament to start. I'm curious to see how all of these course elements play out that I've seen all over social media. From the crazy greens to the rock hard fairways. I think we may see some MONSTER drives this week. I think who wins right now is a crap shoot. I had tons of trouble picking my fantasy lineup.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Where would you put the over/under betting line for longest drive of the week? 390?

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Very excited for the tournament to begin! This pacific time zone is crushing me though!

I can honestly say I haven't been this geeked for a major not played in Augusta Georgia for a long time. Big fan of them playing on public courses! Also love the brown is the new green movement on courses!

Unreal anticipation for this event. Know I'm going to see some great golf. Looking forward to the great golf course, hoping the Fox coverage makes it fresh. Picks: Rickie, Jordan

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No 1
Bridgestone B RXS

Can't wait for this tournament.  Such a cool course.  I like the tradition of the old-school courses like Pinehurst and Oakmont and Marion, but it's a nice change of pace to see a relativley new, public course get the US Open.  

I also love that it's on the west coast... makes TV broadcase much better for east coast viewers.  Might go into prime time Saturday and Sunday nights! 

WITB (Nike Hybrid Carry):

Taylormade R1 Black Fubuki 60s

Nike VR Pro 3W 15* Project X 6.0

Adams Pro A12 3H 20* Aldila RIP Phenom S

Adams DHY 24* Matrix Ozik White Tie S

Adams CMB 5-PW KBS Tour C-Taper s-flex

Titleist Vokey SM5 52* True Temper Gold s200

Titleist Vokey SM4 56* True Temper Gold s200

Nike VR Pro Forged 60* True Temper Gold s400

Ping Cadence TR Ketsch 355g

Taylormade Lethal

Really looking forward to this event - the course looks incredible to me and I'm excited to see how it plays. What I hate is that the lack of control of the distance the ball travels (isn't that the USGA's job?) has lead them to having par 4's well over 500 yards.....lovely. Wouldn't it have just been easier to keep the distances in check via ball and club limits and keep the par 4's at 450?  Sorry - off my soapbox. 

Extremely excited for prime time golf for those of us on the east coast of the US. Will be great fun to stay up watching! 

Driver: Ping G30 - Oban Isawa - Stiff

3 Wood: RBZ Tour 14.5 - 42.5" Kai'li 80S

Hybrid: Ping G30 - 7 wood - Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 800 4 Iron ,JPX 800 Pro 5-GW

Wedges: Callaway 54 and 58 MD2

Putter: Odyssey Protype #2 Black

Very excited for the tournament to start! I really want Phil to complete the career slam, but there are so many golfers I would like to win.  Love to see Rickie back up his Players win with a major.  Would also love to see Spieth take down two majors in a row.  Anyways, I'm just waiting at my desk for the coverage to begin!

Driver- Titleist 913 D2

3 Wood- RBZ Stage 2

Hybrid- Cobra Bio Cell

Irons- Wilson Staff Tour V6

Wedges- Titleist Vokey 54/58

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1

I'm in the camp of the US Open and PGA should confer and make sure that one of the two is on the West Coast every year.  I love being able to watch golf in prime time!!!!

Beyond that I'm excited to see a different course.  The uncertainty of the course brings great anticipation.  I'm in a pool with the guys I play FFB, we do three players and then one player for each day.  I went Rose, Phil and Spieth but I considered at least 25 others - it's hard to guess. 

I know lots of folks are talking about this and Whistling being more British Open type courses but lets face it, many of the newer US courses are links our faux links type layouts anymore.  Folks love them because they are wide open which means fewer lost balls, better pace of play and the green complexes create a wider variety of shot choices. Also the greens don't need to be as fast because there are so many undulations. 

I'm intrigued by the USGA's willingness to allow the fescue greens to stay, I well remember that the PGA made Whistling change over its grass from fescue to something else before it would hold a tournament there.  Pete Dye was not happy, he said it destroyed some of the design because it made it more difficult to bump and run the ball around the greens.  I played Whistling after the change over so I never had the opportunity to try it the old way. 

I'm on vacation this week.  I'm going to head over the club now and hit some balls and then get home to camp out in front of the TV.  Can't wait -

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hope Tiger plays well like he did at the masters. Bring back the stinger 2i!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I really wish Phil wins. He fully deserves the honors, a truly gentlemen and a left handed player ;) But there is lot of young guns that can get in the mix like Rickie, Jordan, DJ and Rory. I even think Henrik Stenson can win this if he can get is game in the right place.

In The Bag:

Driver : :cobra-small: Fly-Z 10.5* with Matrix VLCT SP S Flex 60g, Lamkin Wrap-Tech

3 wood : :cobra-small:  Fly-Z 15*  with Matrix VLCT SP S Flex 70g, Lamkin Wrap-Tech

6 wood : :cobra-small: BiO Cell18* with Grafalloy Project X S Flex 60g , Lamkin Wrap-Tech

4 Hybrid :  :adams-small: Super S 22* with Matrix Kujoh S Flex 75gLamkin Wrap-Tech

5-PW : :cobra-small: AMP Cell with True Temper AMP Cell Dynalite S Flex 90g, Lamkin R.E.L ACE

GW: 51*  :cobra-small:  Tour Trusty with Dynamic Gold S200 S Flex 129g, Lamkin UTx Wrap

SW: 56* :cobra-small:  Tour Trusty with Dynamic Gold S200 S Flex 129g, Lamkin UTx Wrap

LW: 60*  :cobra-small:  Tour Trusty with Dynamic Gold S200 S Flex 129g, Lamkin UTx Wrap

LW: 64*   :cobra-small: Tour Trusty with Dynamic Gold S200 S Flex 129g, Lamkin UTx Wrap

Putter:   :callaway-small: Odyssey Works Versa 2-Ball Fand Putter with Superstroke Flatso 2.0

A Pround Lefty 

Gearing my duel monitors up for live streams at work. Ryan Moore the dark horse as the local kid. Love the look of the course and I'm excited for the laundry list of excuses the participants have prepared.

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

Archived