TESTERS WANTED! ×

The OFFICIAL US Open Discussion Thread

Tony Covey MGS

Been watching it this morning online...... would like to see Jason Day do good.  Hope he is over the dizzy spells he has been having and puts on a show.

The reason a pro tells you to keep your head down is so you can't see him laughing

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bubba transitioning to full meltdown status...

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

Chambers Bay is not your usual US Open type of course.  I like it that the fairways are plenty wide and the players have shots to the green without having to chop it out of thick rough usually found on USGA setups.  Get to see some excellent shotmaking!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A lot of players on the course are playing some really solid golf to start off the tournament.  I think its true what a lot of the pros were saying, if you put the ball in the right spots off the tee, you can really go after the holes. 

Driver- Titleist 913 D2

3 Wood- RBZ Stage 2

Hybrid- Cobra Bio Cell

Irons- Wilson Staff Tour V6

Wedges- Titleist Vokey 54/58

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1

DJ hits driver/PW to reach the 528 yard par-4 14th. 

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

I love the week of a golf major! The experts spend hours debating and discussing and they still don't have a clue who will win. I hope Phil can complete the career grand slam this week. He is a classy guy and is a great ambassador for the game.

My wife says she feels like a single mom during the week of a major. I think there is something in the air that make a golf fan a fanatic during a major.

:titelist-small: Pro V1
Srixon Z565 9* Miyazaki Mizore Stiff
:titelist-small: 915Fd  15* Diamana D+ 80g Stiff
:titelist-small:  718 T-MB 2 iron Kuro Kage 85g Stiff
:ping-small: i E1 4-9 Iron Dynamic Gold S300
:vokey-small:   SM7 46*,54* & 58*
:scotty-small: Select Newport 2, Matador Grip 

@justin_scheve

• SPY VIP

I found this article today......did not know that an Alternate Candidate could not play the course.....I think that is a stupid rule.

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. – USGA chief Mike Davis made headlines a few weeks ago when he said that U.S. Open success would come only to those who became extremely familiar with Chambers Bay. Those showing up and only playing a couple practice rounds will not fare well.

Clint Rice was out for a casual practice round Tuesday with fellow Aussie Geoff Ogilvy, trying to gather course knowledge until his clubs were confiscated by a USGA official on the 13th hole, according to a report from the Australian AP.

Rice, No. 1188 in the Official World Golf Ranking, is an alternate after attempting to qualify last week in Ohio. Alternates are not allowed to play a practice round although they are allowed to use all tournament practice facilities.

A USGA official told the Australian AP that Rice had been given information that told him he was not allowed to play Chambers Bay.

“It's a big silly if you're not holding anybody up or interfering with their practice,” Ogilvy told the Australian AP. “I'd get it if there were no spots available for players in the field. But this wasn't the case here.

“It's a shame because we were having a good time and he seemed like a really good bloke.”

Rice did not give a comment to the Australian AP.

Ahh crazy. My buddy Andy went down to caddy for him too.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Very enjoyable so far.  I hate to say it but as much as I disliked Greg Norman as a player, more because he was the most over rated athlete ever than anything else, I'm enjoying him as a color commentator.  He certainly understands lots about the perils of playing in a major.  :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Chambers Bay reminds me of The Open championships where the wind will determine the difficulty of the course. 

Am I the only one who can't tell the fairway from the green? I swore I saw Stenson on a green but it turned out he was about 100 yds out. Maybe it's the fact that I'm watching on my phone at work instead of a HD TV...or maybe it's the fact that I had a Long Island Ice Tea at lunch instead of my usual sweet tea. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Patty Reed into the front with a solo -4

ReedRyderCup.jpg

Greg Norman and Joe Buck are killing me!  I wish that they would actually show more golf!

Driver: Nike Vapor Fly (set to 9.5 draw)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 15*

5 Wood: Bridgestone 18*

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RocketBladz

(All wood and iron shafts are stiff)

Wedges: Cobra Tour Trusty Rusty (52*, 56*, 62*)

Putter: YES! Sarah White

Handicap: 9.1

The Fox coverage so far has been garbage....

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I am stuck at work. I run a small business. So I will watch tonight. I'm avoiding news. Love Jordan & Rory & Phil. Hope they do well.

I am very excited don't know a thing about this course so I'm very much looking forward to a fresh face

I don't know Severtheties - it seems pretty much the norm so far.  What are you supposed to do when you are showing 10 hours of golf?  I must say that I prefer the Masters or PGA where we get options for coverage, if I get tired of the talk I can go to Amen Corner or Shipwreck (one of the par 3's at Whistling)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Here's to hopin' Phil doesn't win.

Boo this man.

Very enjoyable so far.  I hate to say it but as much as I disliked Greg Norman as a player, more because he was the most over rated athlete ever than anything else, I'm enjoying him as a color commentator.  He certainly understands lots about the perils of playing in a major.  :)

If he says "... at the end of the day" one more time, I'm turning him off.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think as the day goes on, the course is only going to get tougher.  For today and tomorrow I believe the low scores of the day will be from the morning wave.  

Driver- Titleist 913 D2

3 Wood- RBZ Stage 2

Hybrid- Cobra Bio Cell

I think as the day goes on, the course is only going to get tougher.  For today and tomorrow I believe the low scores of the day will be from the morning wave.  

Driver- Titleist 913 D2

3 Wood- RBZ Stage 2

Hybrid- Cobra Bio Cell

I don't know Severtheties - it seems pretty much the norm so far.  What are you supposed to do when you are showing 10 hours of golf?  I must say that I prefer the Masters or PGA where we get options for coverage, if I get tired of the talk I can go to Amen Corner or Shipwreck (one of the par 3's at Whistling)

Well theres a few things in play here. First - I can't stand Greg Norman. Met him a few times and he's always been a complete jerk. Maybe not as much now in his older age but who knows.

Second - i'm watching via the mobile app right now and it skips constantly. I have a great and fast internet connect where I'm at so I don't think that is the issue. Could be wrong though...

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

So glad that Phil got off to good start, would love to see him complete career grand slam.

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 Driver 9* with TFC 419D

3 Wood: Ping G25

5 Wood: Callaway Big Bertha Ti (2005) 18*

Hybrid: Ping G25 20*

Irons: Callaway X Hot 4-SW with True Temper XP95 S300

Wedge: Callaway X Tour Chrome PM 60*

Putter: Seemore Si Black 32"

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

This might be the most brutal golf coverage I have ever had to watch.  I have to have my volume all the way up on my TV to hear the announcer.  Then when a commercial comes on, it is beyond loud.  This is like amateur hour and so sad for such an awesome tournament.  Please get me Johnny Miller and Jim Nantz back!

• SPY VIP

First giveaway in less than 30 minutes. DJ in the lead, so let's celebrate with a TaylorMade Pom Headcover.

tpom.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived