TESTERS WANTED! ×

The OFFICIAL US Open Discussion Thread

Tony Covey MGS

Well, I watched, in my opinion, an extremely interesting, if not boring first day of the 2015 U.S. Open. Phil finally played a good first round, Jordan played his usual steady self, Rory looked disgusted, Dustin bombed it off the tee, Tiger sadly looked like a 12 handicapper, and Sergio did his usual whining. I'll watch it sporadically tomorrow and try not to yawn.

Give me a call when a 12 handi shoots 80 at the US open. You list yourself as a 14 which to me means you should shoot 105-110 if you play ok on a US open layout.

I grant you tiger looked like Crap but he actually played better than the #9 player in the world. US opens are hard and he played bad. Tiger is WAY too over scrutinized.

Edit: yay I'm the 300th post in the US Open topic lol

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like there's a lot of nervous people who recently bought a Taylormade driver that are really pulling for DJ! I wonder what commercials TM has ready for Sunday if he's in contention? Good marketing move? Stupidity?

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero, CK Pro Tensei Orange 
Tour Edge Exotics Tour EX9, 15*
Mizuno CLK 19*
Mizuno JPX919 Tour, KBS C Taper, 4-PW
Fourteen Golf RM22 52*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No 1
Bridgestone B RXS

So Tiger shot an 80?  I might be lucky to shoot a 120 at that place on a good day at 7,800 yards.  But I still consider the US Open to be the World Golf Championship (with due apologies to the British)

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

Okay I'm still trying to recover from the Bull reference a couple of pages back. I used to live in Sheboygan and have played there a few times with some good scores but it's not a fun course. My pro said that if it were the only place he could play he'd quit golf and go skiing. I had a member of my church that lived off if number 4. He kept me in Pro VIs from what was in his back yard. It was great. :)

Back to the Open if you put me where Tiger was all day I'd have shot 100. I couldn't believe he shot 80 after being in some of those spots. It's too hard to watch.

Lots of good players in great shape right now. Could be a very good weekend.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sorry I'm late to the party. Wish I looked earlier. Watched live online all day. Boy that featured group was terrible. I don't know how fox managed to get that unlucky for the afternoon group. I agree with what one golf mag said, guys like Phil, Bubba, Sergio and the real creative golfers are going to do well. 

Bring objective and trying to not let personal feeling get in the way: Tiger to me is done as a dominant golfer and probably at this stage isn't going to be near the top at all tournaments. I think at this point he'll be more than that tour regular but doubt he sniffs the elite spot again.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

paper clip, the U.S. Open and The Open are similar in allowing qualifying from round the world. They are very similar indeed - well done to R and A and PGA for making them truly Open.

Went to bed and tiger was stinking the course out, his back stretches on first tee tell me he's struggling big time. Didn't expect Rickie to be worse, but PM starters are going to get it worse. Now today what happens - will Dustin hold it together? Have my doubts. Will I ever win something on this forum? more chance of Tiger and Rickie making the cut!

For me leading score will be 6 under after round 2, and then going down through weekend.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Massive respect to Monty, finished his round and then went and did a stint working for Sky Sports commentating - he must have exhausted.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Looking forward to today, wish the golf was already on TV.  I believe the leader will be at -5 at the end of the day and falling the rest of the weekend.  I am ready to watch the guys start to struggle, with pars being a good score.

Gotta say a great looking layout. Jason Day doing the Aussie boys proud and will be in the mix for the weekend. Tiger needs a break to get things sorted. It's all still there but very disconnected at the moment. Looking forward to some movement around the leaders in round 2 with Day, Speith, Phil & Dufner moving up the leader board.

Mizuno JPX 825 4-G

Ping G25 Driver

Ping G400 Crossover 19*

Seemore Putter

It was a good first round was tough watching Tiger's group play their round. All three players were struggling with different parts of the course and their game. Course looks awesome and the elevation change is probably something you would have to see in person to appreciate. I'm hoping DJ can pull one out this time...

Interesting to watch golf in America when the greens look less than verdantly perfect. Lot of complaints out there from various professionals, but Geoff Ogilvy seemed on the mark when arguing that the best golfers in the world should be able to cope with slightly variable green conditions.

Greg Norman's commentary was valuable and I liked the graphics combining hole location and ball tracer - thought it allowed us to get a better sense of the geography of a hole.

Hey Kor.A.Door, you just one a dozen Bridgestone B330 series balls. Your choice...B330, 330-S, 330-RX, 330-RXS...what's it going to be. DM your pick along with your shipping info.

What should we give away next?

I did not even see this, riding in the car all afternoon I had spotty cell coverage. This is cool.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Here in Nova Scotia Canada we had a brutal winter many courses opened just a month ago so I've not given the majors the attention I normally would.

I half watched masters to get in golf. Now that I've had some rounds in trying to watch when I can which is tough.

This course was so unknown to me that it's great. The players clearly don't know it either.

I say some play way better today with a round under their belts.

First off, I love to see the US Open on such a different course, too bad the wind is not howling, I believe the course would show its real teeth then. Tough it might get too brutal then, but it would be fun to watch.

Not that i can watch that much since the huge time difference, perhaps this weekend i'll be able to loose some sleep during the night.

You do hear some negative reactions, but for us as fans it is awesome to look at the creative shotmaking that is on display, I for one think is just awesome that it is "different", and I don't mind looking at some lucky and unlucky breaks.

As I am from the Netherlands, I am proud to see our top player Joost Luiten perform well on the first day. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope he can produce 4 good days in a row.

I hope that everyone here will have fun watching it and may the best man win.

Absolutely Teun. The shotmaking involved in playing this kind of course is one of the things that separates links golf from standard PGA Tour aerial golf. Ridiculous how often that Tour allows lift,clean and place when conditions become a little testing - they even permitted placing in the rough in a recent tournament. Allow the some of the best players to become accustomed to such help and it's no surprise they moan when the greens aren't perfect...

First off, I love to see the US Open on such a different course, too bad the wind is not howling, I believe the course would show its real teeth then. Tough it might get too brutal then, but it would be fun to watch.

Not that i can watch that much since the huge time difference, perhaps this weekend i'll be able to loose some sleep during the night.

You do hear some negative reactions, but for us as fans it is awesome to look at the creative shotmaking that is on display, I for one think is just awesome that it is "different", and I don't mind looking at some lucky and unlucky breaks.

As I am from the Netherlands, I am proud to see our top player Joost Luiten perform well on the first day. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope he can produce 4 good days in a row.

I hope that everyone here will have fun watching it and may the best man win.

My one main complaint is there are no graphics on the screen to tell you what hole, what player and where he stands in the Tournament.  As we move into the weekend, many folks will be out at sports bars & restaurants where they can't here the commentary.  They need the onscreen graphics.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Sh!t sign me up! I'm more than happy to put up an 85 in the open. I'd be playing golf on TV!

I would be ecstatic to put up an 85 on TV. But not the 125 I fear I would make. After watching Phl I wanted to play it. After watching Tiger not so much.

When I said I wanted to drive the ball like Tiger all those years ago, I didn't mean for him to come down to my level. Now all he needs to do is shorten his distance 100 yards and he will have done it.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I hope they don't change a thing at Chambers. I love this. It shows that even the best in the world can struggle. To hear guys like Garcia complaining about the greens (and they kinda look like what I'm playing on right now) is terrific. I don't want to see -26 win the tourney. I love it when the field can't break -10 under. 

The Dustin Johnson tee shot that mae it to the green and rolled all the way around the green to settle like 12 feet away was, for me, the shot of the day right there!

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I think his course would suit my play, saying that, I think 90 would be a good score. I think I would have good holes, and bad holes, the problem is the good holes would be only pars, and the bad holes would be double or worse

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I used to live in Sheboygan and have played there a few times with some good scores but it's not a fun course. My pro said that if it were the only place he could play he'd quit golf and go skiing.

Hahahaha that's great! I actually love The Bull and consider it one of my favorites in Wisconsin. Probably played it five times and love it every time! Even drove up to play in a "big cup" tournament a few years back. Had a blast. Try and play it on the way up to Kohler or the UP any chance I get. Many people consider Nicklaus design courses stupid or way too difficult, but I really enjoy them. Harbor Shores in Michigan is another awesome Nicklaus design in the Northwoods.

Should be interesting to see how they all fair playing in reverse conditions today... Tiger and the afternoon guys should post some better numbers and DJ and the boys should be closer to par. Hopefully it equals everything out for the weekend.

60 and ties or 70 and ties make the cut?

That would be interesting - you know I made it to the semi finals the first year that they did the break 100 on a US Open course challenge - in the end I got bumped because my handicap was too low.  They were looking for someone around a 10.  It should be noted that when they played the break 100 round the tees were all the way back - they are never all the way back on every hole in a tournament - never - big championship courses stretch to 7,600 yards for variety's sake not to be played at that distance.  It gives the tournament committee options to test the player's thinking not to bludgeon them to death.

Three cheers for Luiten who got a mention from some of our international friends earlier in this thread.  With only a wife and 13 year old daughter left in the house I get up early on Saturday, sit quietly in my study, sip coffee, read the news online and watch the European tour.  He's one of my favorites.

I won't see as much today 2:00 tee time - the girls let me watch tons of golf yesterday but I'm suspecting they won't be so compliant today -

I edited this to jump in on Apprenti's Bull comment - it's a lovely course - but it is also just down the street from Black wolf run - I'm taking those courses for free (one of the super's was a member of my church) over the Bull for $100 every day - if you can imagine it I'd play one of the Black wolf courses 6-8 times a season for nothing along with an occasional trip to Whistling instead (same cost) normally Irish but I've played the Straits course - just never in the proper order or from the same set of tees throughout (he could get us on at Twilight and we would hole hop to catch the different holes - you can't tell what tee box you are going to when you cut through the mounds there  - not a happy moment when you hop in and see black.)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived