Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

The OFFICIAL US Open Discussion Thread

Tony Covey MGS

It's tough watching the golf when it's west coast Rev, I fell asleep around 11.30pm and woods was only 4 over I think ! Coverage started at 4.30pm - but first couple of ours were a bit heavy on chatter.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who has immense respect for Tiger after all this? Far more than I ever did before. Can you imagine the mental fortitude it takes to continue to publicly display hacker golf as the once greatest player? Who else in the world wouldn't have just retired by now? It's almost like Michael Jordan with the Wizards, only far, far worse.

This dude has some brass balls.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

I hear you Westy -  That's why I wrote 1 of the majors not all 4 - The bad one for me is the final round of your Open (the Open).  Yes, I can record it but the chances of one of my members not telling me what's happening before I head home from church is slim to none - I'm fortunate if I can catch the lost 4 or 5 holes live.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I kinda wanna play this course. It feels like the ultimate test of how drunk I could get before I throw my clubs in the ocean.

hahahahaha you win this thread diddy!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

hahahahaha you win this threat diddy!

Mind you, I would deliberately throw those assholes in the drink. Unlike Tiger who does it on accident.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Hahahaha that's great! I actually love The Bull and consider it one of my favorites in Wisconsin. Probably played it five times and love it every time! Even drove up to play in a "big cup" tournament a few years back. Had a blast. Try and play it on the way up to Kohler or the UP any chance I get. Many people consider Nicklaus design courses stupid or way too difficult, but I really enjoy them. Harbor Shores in Michigan is another awesome Nicklaus design in the Northwoods.

Harbor Shores is in the town that I grew up in, it opened just before I moved to South Carolina, my brothers do some steelhead fishing in the river just off the course.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Am I the only one who has immense respect for Tiger after all this? Far more than I ever did before. Can you imagine the mental fortitude it takes to continue to publicly display hacker golf as the once greatest player? Who else in the world wouldn't have just retired by now? It's almost like Michael Jordan with the Wizards, only far, far worse.

I think you hit it square on the head. A lot of people seem to be looking at Tiger and laughing (as a society we seem to get pleasure out seeing people fail and in pain). He looks miserable out there. There is absolutely no joy for him in playing the game like there was at some point. It's very sad.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Justin Rose just posted the pin placements on Instagram for Round 2. 

Notables: #12 is playing all the way up...about 40 yds shorter than yesterday (solely based on pin placement...no clue about the tee box). They could be playing a 285 yd par 4. 

There are 7 pins within 5 yds from the edge of a green. 

#14, the 520+ yd par 4...the pin is tucked 3 paces from the left edge, about 5 yds from the trap. Good grief. 

The pin on #1 is back left. If anyone watched the tourney, you'll know there's that giant swell to the left in which a ball that misses left rolls around 60 yds left of the green. 

The winds are supposed to remain calm today...around 6-9mph from the SW. I don't think we see the same number of red numbers today as yesterday, but I bet we see someone post another 65. The winds are forecasted to switch from SW to NE but remain in single digits all weekend. So much for the wind playing a factor. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I think you hit it square on the head. A lot of people seem to be looking at Tiger and laughing (as a society we seem to get pleasure out seeing people fail and in pain). He looks miserable out there. There is absolutely no joy for him in playing the game like there was at some point. It's very sad.

I wouldn't say there is no joy for him. I'm sure this year has been incredibly frustrating but I still think he enjoys the game. It's not like he's out there to pay rent.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Well, after 1 day of work, and tournament play, I am actually a little shocked the scores are as low as they are, was expecting a couple people at -1 or -2. Figured Rory would fare very well, my picks were Rory, Justin Rose, Jordan and Dustin wAs/is my wild card. Decent selection so far.

Really expecy and hope Jordan wins this!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I'm new to this fiancée thing, she pretty much controls the TV watching. Reality TV, etc. I find it hard negotiating golf especially when she brings up how much I play (allot). Negotiating

Wait til you have kids.  As soon as my 4yr old see's golf on TV he rolls his eyes and says "Not golf again daddy!"

Then the ipad comes out so i can still see golf while the TV get's switched to Disney Jr.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Wait til you have kids.  As soon as my 4yr old see's golf on TV he rolls his eyes and says "Not golf again daddy!"

Then the ipad comes out so i can still see golf while the TV get's switched to Disney Jr.

Preach. Thankfully, my kids are generally cool on their iPad and the wife watches s*** TV with her mom, while I hang out in the bedroom watching golf. Kids hang out with me.

WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT YOUR REALITY TV HONEY.

Sorry.

Mini-rant.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

I played the course and it was stunning, I understand them wanting it to play firm and fast but the course looks hideous on tv.  The greens look like a pasture got mowed down and they seem to putt like it too.  I am not for all the bitching about greens as everyone does have to play on them but I do agree with what sergio said that a national championship should be on better green surfaces.  Besides all that.  I am stunned at Tigers play.  He is hitting it awful.  I think he is becoming slightly delusional about his game. Eventually the rhetoric about your process and two swing planes and all that has to go away.  9 months into new couch, struggling to break 80 should be long gone.  

Driver M3- Fujikura Speeder Pro X

3 Wood  Titleist TS2 15*  Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Utility Titleist MB 3 iron KBS C-Taper X

Irons Srixon Z765 5-PW DG AMT White X

Wedges by committee

Taylormade Spider Tour w Gravity Grip

Wait til you have kids. As soon as my 4yr old see's golf on TV he rolls his eyes and says "Not golf again daddy!"

Kids won't be part. Neither of us married before. I'm 48 she's 45.

No kids for either of us. Rarity I'm sure at our age but just got engaged in Mexico. She said she's a golfer when dating yet I found out only fun best ball etc & hasn't in 1 year golfed with me yet. Trying to explain majors are worth allowing viewing is hard.

Oh well she's worth it but I've got literally a half hour of viewing in. That's it. Sigh

And I am not sure what all the bad press is about how the greens look on tv. Who care how they look if they roll fine?  There are other Tour tournaments that are played in the US where the commentators have said the greens look splotchy on tv but the greens roll fine. I just cannot remember the names of those courses.  So as long as the greens roll fine who should care how they look?

Tough, tough course, but it's been enjoyable watching the tournament so far.

Got lucky with my fantasy league picks this week, but really surprised with some of the players first rounds (McIlroy, Fowler, Woods in particular).

I can finally tell people "I play golf like Tiger."

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Looking forward to seeing the morning group play. Possible change in score direction? or more of the same?

Rough to watch the fowler/ woods group- didn't help the gallary was cheering/ laughing when woods went into Chambers Basement. 

I will agree the course looks rough and dry for sure, all the promos show it being green, but that doesn't make for a "Firm and fast" open.

Wonder how many balls that hit uphill slopes will roll all the way back into bunkers???

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Already got up my 3 monitors  :lol:

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

If he only shows up for the big tournaments, no I don't have any respect for him.  IMO he needs to be out every week playing in competition.  He has played in only 6 events in 2015 counting the US Open.  For someone that is struggling with their game in competition, competing in only 6 events doesn't seem like the prescription for getting better.  It's like he is not even trying.  He should play every week or take the entire year off.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Can't wait to see, or hear, someone come forward and say how unfair this course is to these professional, pampered pros. Sergio got the ball rolling yesterday but at least he speaks his mind. These guys are so used to putting on carpet-like conditions that when they encounter what they're facing now they become a little frazzled. Hell, this is the norm for muny courses. I suspect that a lot of these guys will need some form of therapy after their visit here. I'll be interested in how things shake out today. It seems to me that the guys who like to have their putts die in the hole are not going to putt well whereas the guys who like to jam it in the hole from the proper side stand a much better chance of success. Enjoy folks.

• SPY VIP

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

Next prize is 15 minutes out. Nike Praying Hands 5-Panel hat. Yup...it's Volt.

Nike5Panel.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived