TESTERS WANTED! ×

The OFFICIAL US Open Discussion Thread

Tony Covey MGS

Koepka. Can I buy a vowel please? No, you have to many in your last name. No way I would pronounce his name correctly unless I heard it first on TV.. Co e pee ka 

thought it was Copt Kah.

Edit: think  have a different golfer in mind.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bubba is falling apart. Can't say I'm surprised. The guy can seem like a total wimp when things go wrong. He's talented as hell but you wonder if he ever can get over that.

Also what a putt by Angel! Dang.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

Thunderstorm knocked out the TV and Internet at home... Just got them working now.

This MGS thread is the only thing keeping me up on what's been happening with the tournament!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Worst case scenario for the PGA tour: Rory Phil and Tiger all miss the cut. It's probably about a 20% chance, but still could you imagine the storylines on Saturday if it did happen?

So did anyone see that Gary Player ripped the course?  His concern is that its ridiculously long and that it would not be fun for amateurs to play. 

He's a great player, arguably the most under rated player ever, won a career grand slam while having to contend with Arnie and Jack.  Having written that I don't know that I agree with him.  I'd like to hear more about his opinion.  The course is long for sure but it's long to provide options not to be played from the tips every day.  It's also in radically different shape than it would be on a normal day.  If I read his comments properly I believe his concern is an ecological one.  But it seems to me that this course requires less water and maintenance despite its length. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So did anyone see that Gary Player ripped the course?  His concern is that its ridiculously long and that it would not be fun for amateurs to play. 

He's a great player, arguably the most under rated player ever, won a career grand slam while having to contend with Arnie and Jack.  Having written that I don't know that I agree with him.  I'd like to hear more about his opinion.  The course is long for sure but it's long to provide options not to be played from the tips every day.  It's also in radically different shape than it would be on a normal day.  If I read his comments properly I believe his concern is an ecological one.  But it seems to me that this course requires less water and maintenance despite its length. 

Instead of knocking courses why not make one that you think amateurs will like and that tests the pros. It's the US freaking Open, of course it's supposed to be too hard for amateurs. 

I have a fake links course I played in NJ. It's not overly hilly, nor does the wind blow. About the only thing they have is waist high fescue. Never played a tournament there, but would love to see how it plays.

“They should tow it out into the North Sea and sink it” – Gary Player upon first seeing the Old Course at St Andrews.

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Deciding if I should hit some balls after work or just play tomorrow on my own and Sunday with the men's league.

thoughts?

How can he say that when guys like DJ and Rory (not to mention others) take driver and than pw for birds on 500 yard par 4's? Just because you are an amateur doesn't mean you can't hit the ball long. Speith isn't as long as some of these guys and he's still t-2nd so what is he complaining about? 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

“Just shut up and play it.” – Robert Trent Jones Jr tells the field how to cope with Chambers Bay. (Yes, he's the guy that designed the course.)

Deciding if I should hit some balls after work or just play tomorrow on my own and Sunday with the men's league.

thoughts?

Weekends here are crowded, I'm working for a short bit then going here, http://www.leadbettergolftexas.com/

Last prize of the day coming up soon.

I'm not normally I big fan of Cleveland wedges but that one sure is "purty!"

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm taking the kids tomorrow. Wanted to go play on our opponents course because next week it's the start of the president's cup here and we are playing against another golf club all next weekend. I've never played their course and want to get to know it before the tourney. It's supposed to rain here tomorrow and the Mrs is working all afternoon so I'll see if I can go tomorrow night

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

What a lag by Angel. Is there any other golfer you can think of that has that attitude on the course? 

I'm taking the kids tomorrow. Wanted to go play on our opponents course because next week it's the start of the president's cup here and we are playing against another golf club all next weekend. I've never played their course and want to get to know it before the tourney. It's supposed to rain here tomorrow and the Mrs is working all afternoon so I'll see if I can go tomorrow night

Sounds like fun. I'm probably playing by myself tomorrow. 110 degree weather will be fun. Sunday I wake up early for the league here. It'll be 100 by the time we hit the turn.

And then Phil burns the edge. Man he's so close yet so far.

Sounds like fun. I'm probably playing by myself tomorrow. 110 degree weather will be fun. Sunday I wake up early for the league here. It'll be 100 by the time we hit the turn.

Whoa, that is manning up.

Whoa, that is manning up.

I'm in the low deserts. 110 is pretty normal for summer. During July and Monsoon season it doesn't get below 90 degrees...at night. That's brutal.

Heat isn't a problem here - it's humidity. I'm in Canada so where I play it's ultra rare it gets up that high but I'd go really in any temp as long as I can play. And the kids love it. I have an 11 yr old girl and a 7 year old boy (who's autistic) and they both LOVE IT! So I'm not pushing them and just showing them some basic stuff and letting them have fun.

Nice putt by Reed. Down hill and rode the break perfect.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Archived