TESTERS WANTED! ×

The OFFICIAL US Open Discussion Thread

Tony Covey MGS

That final had me at the edge of my seat. Nobody likes a loss after a three putt.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great tournament. The course played fair no matter how bad some people complained. I would love to see another Open there.

Can't wait to get back to Washington and play that course again!!

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

What a great tournament. The course played fair no matter how bad some people complained. I would love to see another Open there.

Can't wait to get back to Washington and play that course again!!

i said earlier my wife hated it. I loved it and wood love to give it a play when I travel out the to play it and Bandon.

Better win a lottery to afford that one

all 3 of the guys coming down the stretch showed nerves, big time, Grace hit his tee shot OB on 16, then Jordan hits an aweful shot on 17 tee, then 3 putts, and then probably the worst because it meant more at the time was the 3 putt by DJ.. He should have taken more time on the last putt. Nerves and how you handle them can be the difference of Major champion or not, just the same way as nerves can be the difference between us winning a match or not, or shooting best scores or not, stay calm and win

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Looking over Paulter's tweet the greens do like garbage. Not that's an excuse but the USGA didn't exactly tell the truth. either way everyone had a chance and the best man did win.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

And to all, a good night.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

What a day its been.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm actually quite content with Fox Sports and their first televised golf tournament/major champion. Just bc it's different doesn't make it bad. Give them time. #babysteps

It was mediocre although the last day was a lot better. The camera work got better and they did really well just letting the drama play out rather than rehashing it over and over again.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Sorry I stayed out of the commentary down the stretch, I was behind and not wanting to spoil it for myself. Great job by Speith! I feel for DJ. I knew as soon as he missed the eagle and left more than a tap in, he was done. Great exciting major!

Side note: I'm super proud of my call about Louie Oosthazien even though he didn't win. +7 on the first day and I still gave him a chance. In hind sight, I may have been drunk...

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Congrats to Jordan Speith on a great win. Really talented and gentlemanly young man who does the sport and his parents proud. Hopefully he's not a flash in the pan, as they say, and he's in the winners circle many more times.

I'm actually quite content with Fox Sports and their first televised golf tournament/major champion. Just bc it's different doesn't make it bad. Give them time. #babysteps

The problem is when it's your first one and it's a major its tough. They had some good moments, I thought Norman was outstanding, their on course guys are young enough that they played with many of the participants. I'd give the on air folks a very good grade. Liked the use of shot track but couldn't understand why it was used sometimes and not others (on the same hole.).

On the downside they missed several important shots early, there were times when balls were in the air and we had no idea who hit them, what the hole was, etc. I had a lot of trouble seeing the ball land on the green and roll but they could have just been Mel

All in all I'd agree that it was a reasonable first effort. They are going to need to do more than one tournament a year to get really good at it though.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I dare you to read this and not get a little choked up!

http://espn.go.com/golf/usopen15/story/_/id/13127962/us-open-michael-greller-journey-comes-full-circle-father-day

I'm such a wuss.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Now that the tourney's over, I've got 2 points of view on it.

First, from the players' point of view. I would be pissed. That course was incredibly tough and showed a lot of, dare I say, "holes" in the guys games. The greens looked horrible on tv and even if you hit a great shot, you were rarely rewarded. The balls at times seemed to roll for miles on the fairways and sometimes right off into a hazard or bunker. It was definitely not what these guys are used to play on.

From the point of view of the fan - I loved every single minute of it. It was incredible to watch. It forced guys to be creative. The course was hella long but guys were still conquering it. Let's face it, DJ had the length to overcome the long par 4's and monster par 5's and in the end, the average distance of Speith and his incredible putting (on the same greens everyone was complaining about no less) 

And let's not forget, guys were shooting in the 60's. Adam Scott shot 64, DJ shot 65's, there were a lot of good scores. It was awesome to see a tourney finish 5 under instead of 26 under. I like to see these guys get creative and try different shots. They say "these guys are good" well, it was definitely lots of fun to watch. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* Upright setting, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, New grip coming

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, New grip coming

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, New grip coming                                  

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

My one complaint was that the ball was exceptionally hard to see on the green from the angle Fox was taking. Other angles showed a much greener grass than that high angle shot. The high angle made the contrast really bad. I almost adjusted my TV just to pick up the ball better. Anyone else have that problem?

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Hopefully like a few different articles I have seen so far we really get that solid Rory v Spieth rivalry for the new few years.

TM - SLDR Driver, 3W, 3 Hybrid - Stock X

Srixon- z545 4-PW. - DGx100

Cleveland - Rotex 2.0 - 50,56,60 - DG x100

Oddesey Versa 1w White/Black

Great tournament!  My only complaint is that the course is not set up to be fan friendly.  Spectator viewing is not good.  I am glad I watched from home rather than head over the 240 miles to watch in person.

Unfortunately, this U.S. Open will be more remembered for DJ's loss than Spieth's win; just like the 2010 PGA Championship.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My obseravtions:

First, crushed that DJ missed those putts, I was pulling for Jordan, but really wanted the playoff. Another crushing miss for DJ, who seems so focused and unflapable and he sure handled it well. Wish him the best of luck.

Course, I loved it, loved how they had to be so dern creative in shots and club selection. Really could watch golf there every year.

Fox Sports is horrible with golf coverage, hated it!

Congrats to Jordan though, and come on brother, Grand Slam Time!!!

Lastly, Tiger who? Didn't miss him one bit!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I dare you to read this and not get a little choked up!

http://espn.go.com/golf/usopen15/story/_/id/13127962/us-open-michael-greller-journey-comes-full-circle-father-day

I'm such a wuss.

You just had to share didn't you? Now I'm all choked up at work..

Unfortunately, this U.S. Open will be more remembered for DJ's loss than Spieth's win; just like the 2010 PGA Championship.

That's what I immediately thought.

much like winners the years Mickelson was runner up. It'll be remembered as DJ's three putt to lose the open

My Mixed-Bag:

That's what I immediately thought.

much like winners the years Mickelson was runner up. It'll be remembered as DJ's three putt to lose the open

Wellllllllllllllllllllll.... maybe? The difference is Speith is likely to be an iconic player. We'll remember the things he won more than we remember what DJ lost. DJ is no Phil. DJ may never win a big one. if he doesn't, then we won't remember much of anything he did or didn't do.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Wellllllllllllllllllllll.... maybe? The difference is Speith is likely to be an iconic player. We'll remember the things he won more than we remember what DJ lost. DJ is no Phil. DJ may never win a big one. if he doesn't, then we won't remember much of anything he did or didn't do.

I feel it's to early to tell about spieth. Though i think he might be this generations palmer (quirky swing + cant hate the guy)- though I think arnie has way more charisma.

oh and yeah, no way is dj like Phil haha

My Mixed-Bag:

Now that the tourney's over, I've got 2 points of view on it.

First, from the players' point of view. I would be pissed. That course was incredibly tough and showed a lot of, dare I say, "holes" in the guys games. The greens looked horrible on tv and even if you hit a great shot, you were rarely rewarded. The balls at times seemed to roll for miles on the fairways and sometimes right off into a hazard or bunker. It was definitely not what these guys are used to play on.

From the point of view of the fan - I loved every single minute of it. It was incredible to watch. It forced guys to be creative. The course was hella long but guys were still conquering it. Let's face it, DJ had the length to overcome the long par 4's and monster par 5's and in the end, the average distance of Speith and his incredible putting (on the same greens everyone was complaining about no less) 

And let's not forget, guys were shooting in the 60's. Adam Scott shot 64, DJ shot 65's, there were a lot of good scores. It was awesome to see a tourney finish 5 under instead of 26 under. I like to see these guys get creative and try different shots. They say "these guys are good" well, it was definitely lots of fun to watch. 

I watched this tournament pretty much all 4 days, and I can agree that the TV coverage sucked.

As to the "unfairness" of the course and the greens..is it really a "good shot" if it ends up in a bad spot?  Are shots that end up close to the hole just bad shots that got lucky? As the tournament progressed, I think that you started to see players play the course as it was intended. Play away from some holes to hit it close. Drive the ball in certain areas of the fairway to keep it there...

For example. On Sunday on 16, DJ hit a bomb 1 iron that should have ended up right in front of the green, but rolled into the bunker that is down the entire length of the fairway. Some people regard this as a good shot not being rewarded. I see it as a poor choice of club, knowing that ANY shot that comes up short on that hole will end up in the bunker.. DJ may have KILLED that 1 iron, but he made a mistake by not choosing the correct club on the tee. He hit a good looking shot, in the wrong place.  This perceived unfairness plays with your mind, and will cause doubt. Doubt is a killer on the greens.

I think that the USGA got this one right...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The best event of the tournament was DJ's smile when he was handed his son after coming off the 18th green. I felt profound sadness when DJ missed the come backer. I replayed it about 10 times. It looked like it hopped about 4 times, then hit some broccoli and turned left. Jason Day's putt minutes before went dead straight but appeared to be struck firmer. Did the poor greens claim their final victim? Perhaps the course did have the final say. I'll believe Gary Player and his experience.

How do we know if he will be like Phil or not? Granted Phil had more wins early then DJ but he didn't win a major until he was 34. DJ turned 31 today I believe. He could be very good. It seems like he is just now coming into his own.

Archived