Tony Covey MGS

The OFFICIAL US Open Discussion Thread

Playoff between Speith and Reed, battle between "Good & Evil?"

• Like 4

Going to run a 5k here soon, but going to try and watch the opening rounds.

if spieth can get over his hissy fit on 18 I think he'll be at the top through Sunday. Reed is looking relentless and I hope he stays aggressive. Kids got character and no shortage of confidence. Itd make a good story if DJ won. That straight tee shot is giving him a huge advantage.

Okay, I'm ready to watch the debacle at Chambers Bay. They should all line up and tell of their displeasure about any and all facets of the course. Boo-hoo, welcome to our world on muny courses guys. It'll be even more interesting if the wind picks up and starts pushing their ball all over the place. They'll all need some form of therapy after this weekend. I just hope that Jason Day can resume his play. He appears to be one heck of a nice kid. 

• Like 1

I have loved the parts I have seen this week. I just Hope fax is done with golf. Or at least done not showing the shits you want to see while the camera is panning elsewhere or stuck on the golfer or jiggling arohnd. They have shot sports before right? This is terrjble

One other thought for the day is that I understand this is a public course. I can't imagine how long it takes to play this monster, even from the forward tees. They must have the old "if you make the green, consider it a 2 putt and move on" rule. I doubt if they have any corporate tourneys there where half of the entrants don't even play golf. A tourney like that may take 2 days for 18 holes.

I'm going to say that DJ fades and that Spieth wins it at -4 over Reid who finishes -2. Only three guys break par.

I'm in a rain delay in my round. Don't think they will get us back out but we shall see.

Gary Player really likes the golf course!  That was a phenomenal rant!

Well...thirty minutes into the broadcast and we have seen two live golf shots?  Fox = EPIC FAIL.

• Like 1

Haha Fox is more obsessed background stories than the live action. I actually prefer this to watching boring shot after boring shot. Cool little thing on Spieth. You guys gotta realize, they're trying to replace Tiger. They think they need to create a NEW SUPERSTAR.

I'm sure Callaway is obsessed with "leading the open" but there's about 0.5% of the golfing population that will care.

I like Corey Pavin as an announcer and also like Jay Delsing, especially when he comments, "hey shark, what do you think about..."

The foreign guy, Joe Buck, Steve Fleshlight, and Brad Faxon can beat it.

Okay, I'm listening to some pros gripe about the 18th hole, whether it's a par 4 or 5 depending on the day. They've played and practiced this hole all week long at varying lengths and you mean to tell me you can't figure it out? If you're not either long enough or accurate enough make some adjustments and if need be, take your poison and move on. I love these guys when they're not playing in/on pristine conditions, they get all messed up and whine like little girls. They'll be in their best environment next week when they can tear up The Travelers where they can play on pristine fairways and greens and shoot 25 under. Give me a break.

• Like 1

I will say that it seems ridiculous to take a hole that was designed as a 5 and make it into a 4. Having written that, it happens at every US Open, often twice. The USGA does not like too many birdie holes. To me the old school courses are worse because Par 5 greens on older courses are often postage stamps. They were designed to be three shot holes.

In regard to Gary Players comments I'm reminded of a few years back when Rory McIlroy said he hated St. Andrews the first few times he played it. Thought it was the "worst golf course he's ever played," and didn't understand everyone's infatuation with the place.

Now St. Andrew's is Rory McIlroy's favorite golf course in the world.

It takes awhile to appreciate a golf course and its little nuances. First five times I played Whistling Straits in Kohler I absolutely hated it. Now it's not so bad. Need to play it another few times before I learn to love it though.

Kind of like... Do you believe in love at first sight?

If you guys want a super dark horse I am liking Louie on the weekend. He will have an early tee time on Saturday and has the ability to go low. Plus he has been there before.

8 shots is 99.9% too much to come back from in a US open but just thought I would throw that out there.

That a boy Louie! Make me look good!
  • Like 1

Just listened to Gary Players' observations about this tourney and the venue. He was spot on. As a player you can't, or shouldn't let the course get into your head. Some do, like Sergio, and when he complains as he does, he's finished. Just accept the conditions and the course layout as they are as every other player is playing the same course. Let the course be in their heads, not yours. Make the best of a hard situation palatable.

Just listened to Gary Players' observations about this tourney and the venue. He was spot on. As a player you can't, or shouldn't let the course get into your head. Some do, like Sergio, and when he complains as he does, he's finished. Just accept the conditions and the course layout as they are as every other player is playing the same course. Let the course be in their heads, not yours. Make the best of a hard situation palatable.

I knew Sergio was done once I heard him complain. This tournament reminds me of the complaining about Pebble Beach a few years ago (with the Poa Annua). Seems to me DJ likes the west coast greens tho

Maybe I'm spoiled but the Fox announcers are not of the caliber of the other networks. Like anything in life I think they just need a little time to get into their new profession to be good. It took Sir Nick some time and he's getting better, more relaxed, more informative, and generally better at his craft. David Duval, as well, looked like a deer in the headlights when he first started, stammering his way, but now he's more relaxed in front of the camera and has better and more in-depth analysis of what he's talking about. I think it took Frank Nobilo some time as well but he's one of the best, in my opinion, at his craft. Of course none of these, or other announcers, are perfect but they are certainly entertaining and informative. After all, this is golf, not life and death.

Maybe I'm spoiled but the Fox announcers are not of the caliber of the other networks. Like anything in life I think they just need a little time to get into their new profession to be good. It took Sir Nick some time and he's getting better, more relaxed, more informative, and generally better at his craft. David Duval, as well, looked like a deer in the headlights when he first started, stammering his way, but now he's more relaxed in front of the camera and has better and more in-depth analysis of what he's talking about. I think it took Frank Nobilo some time as well but he's one of the best, in my opinion, at his craft. Of course none of these, or other announcers, are perfect but they are certainly entertaining and informative. After all, this is golf, not life and death.

No that's college football. :). Totally kidding I would watch girls tiddly winks before a college football game but I live in the heart of SEC. country and have been told numerous times that college football is where its at.