Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

The OFFICIAL US Open Discussion Thread

Tony Covey MGS

How do we know if he will be like Phil or not? Granted Phil had more wins early then DJ but he didn't win a major until he was 34. DJ turned 31 today I believe. He could be very good. It seems like he is just now coming into his own.

Totally fair. I'd say that Speith is more on the path to being a great one than DJ is, and for the narrative of this US Open to be about DJ blowing it, it will require he is in Speith's stratosphere as a player. As of now, I find that outcome unlikely.

But, I could be wrong. I just don't suspect we'll remember Chambers Bay as the Open DJ blew. We'll remember it as Speith's next step.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, i had both DJ and Jordan in my Fantasy Golf Team this week.........:)

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Totally fair. I'd say that Speith is more on the path to being a great one than DJ is, and for the narrative of this US Open to be about DJ blowing it, it will require he is in Speith's stratosphere as a player. As of now, I find that outcome unlikely.

But, I could be wrong. I just don't suspect we'll remember Chambers Bay as the Open DJ blew. We'll remember it as Speith's next step.

I guess time will tell. I think DJ will end up with 2-4 majors and Speith will get to double digits. Just depends where you think they end up in their careers.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Hale Irwin missed a tap in (literally) to blow a playoff for the Open, not on the last hole but a tap in never the less.  Does anyone remember that?  How about all those missed two footers the last on 18 at Southern Hills?  We remember that Retief Goosen won that US Open not that he three putted from 4 feet and almost missed the third putt to make the play off. 

Three years and only the most avid golf fan remembers that Dustin "blew" this tournament.  Anyway there are countless other shots that he and several others threw away -

Spieth won because he finished with the best score for the week, whether that meant that he hit one less silly shot, one more good shot, made one more putt, got a nice kick, whatever he took one less stroke.  He won, he now has two majors and is one away from having the Hall of Fame in the bank and he's 21.  Pretty impressive.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Three years and only the most avid golf fan remembers that Dustin "blew" this tournament.  Anyway there are countless other shots that he and several others threw away -

Not if FOX hosts again they'll replay that over and over and over for the next couple of US opens- like the constant Second place finishes of Mickelson they aired   :D

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Three years and only the most avid golf fan remembers that Dustin "blew" this tournament.

There is a different kind of person? ;)

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/golf/33235220

So somewhere in this thread we discussed how hard it might be for an amateur to play the course - here we go. One of the BBC guys played it on Monday, not quite from the tips and he only just broke 100.

As he admits the greens were already slower as well.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I had an awesome time on Friday of the US Open,  I'm lucky to live an hour away from Chambers Bay so my father, son and I spent a day together watching the worlds best golfers. 

My perspective was a bit different from many.  First, I've played the course a few times, as has my son (17 years old - he shot 78 playing at 6800 yards, in the rain and wind)  I also recently returned from a trip to Bandon Dunes, so I've played some links golf recently.  I loved the tournament.  Fox Sports coverage and some difficult viewing aside, the tournament was fantastic.

The US Open is supposed to be a tough test.  Can we all agree that what we want to see in the end is a good tough test of golf,  some drama along the way, and in the end the some best golfers in the world rise to the occasion and win the championship.   In case you missed the last 5 holes of the tournament, watch the DVR and check back here after...There are an infinite number of possible course designs, therefore, there are infinite ways to achieve a tough test of golf for the players.  Chambers Bay achieved a tough test in a manner that is not what we have seen in recent years.  Instead of growing thick rough up 6 or more inches, making the fairways extremely narrow, and leaving players with a hit the fairway or chip out of the rough game, Chambers Bay simply erased the lines the players usually color within and left a blank canvas in which to work with, and what work they did.  

Speith worked up a masterpiece using every brush, filling the entire canvas with color, all along whole making mistakes we can all see ourselves making.  What more can we ask for in our National Championship?  I can't wait for the Open to return to Chambers, the greens will only get better...

I had an awesome time on Friday of the US Open, I'm lucky to live an hour away from Chambers Bay so my father, son and I spent a day together watching the worlds best golfers.

My perspective was a bit different from many. First, I've played the course a few times, as has my son (17 years old - he shot 78 playing at 6800 yards, in the rain and wind) I also recently returned from a trip to Bandon Dunes, so I've played some links golf recently. I loved the tournament. Fox Sports coverage and some difficult viewing aside, the tournament was fantastic.

The US Open is supposed to be a tough test. Can we all agree that what we want to see in the end is a good tough test of golf, some drama along the way, and in the end the some best golfers in the world rise to the occasion and win the championship. In case you missed the last 5 holes of the tournament, watch the DVR and check back here after...There are an infinite number of possible course designs, therefore, there are infinite ways to achieve a tough test of golf for the players. Chambers Bay achieved a tough test in a manner that is not what we have seen in recent years. Instead of growing thick rough up 6 or more inches, making the fairways extremely narrow, and leaving players with a hit the fairway or chip out of the rough game, Chambers Bay simply erased the lines the players usually color within and left a blank canvas in which to work with, and what work they did.

Speith worked up a masterpiece using every brush, filling the entire canvas with color, all along whole making mistakes we can all see ourselves making. What more can we ask for in our National Championship? I can't wait for the Open to return to Chambers, the greens will only get better...

+1. I totally agree with your comment here. Chambers Bay just gave those who like to complain alternate reasons to do so. If anything you could argue, rightfully, that the course was too easy. Five under with two other fours and a three are unusually low scores for a US Open. Our Open has always been a test of patience.

Great round by your son BTW.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived