Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How Not To Hit a Driver

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Here's some photos of a driver that was dropped off at Tark's Indoor Golf earlier this week. The guy came in for a lesson, and while Kent was more or less able to get him straightened out a bit, his driver suffered the consequences of a huge over-the-top thrashing. Sorry for the poor quality, I snapped them with my phone.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

If only. Unfortunately I wasn't there when the guy came in, but from what I've been told he swung like he was trying to drive pipes into the ground. A buddy's girlfriend did something similar to his club, but I've never seen sole damage quite to this extent.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Here's some photos of a driver that was dropped off at Tark's Indoor Golf earlier this week. The guy came in for a lesson, and while Kent was more or less able to get him straightened out a bit, his driver suffered the consequences of a huge over-the-top thrashing. Sorry for the poor quality, I snapped them with my phone.

That driver is pristine compared to a couple of mine that were in the family room and garage when a very large tree came down. I will have some pics up when I manage to figure out this new camera the wife bought.

I can believe it. I had a friend that dented three different drivers and a couple of woods that I had and they were high quality (Callaway, Cobra, and Adams). I had bought the Cobra with a 3W and 5W, which he also dented, so I made him buy the set from me. He still plays with them and that was 8 years ago.

Did Elin sell him that club?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

Exactly what I thought at first glance.

that takes some SERIOUS talent to do.

Being dead serious - do you realize how hard it is to line three dents like that up in a row? WOW

#TruthDigest

"Is this covered under warranty???"

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

that takes some SERIOUS talent to do.

Being dead serious - do you realize how hard it is to line three dents like that up in a row? WOW

I just can;t see you can do it, without some serious to your man cherry's. If you hit the ball with that part of the club, how does ball not head straight for your nuts.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Makes my little sky mark on the top of my driver not so bad looking now

in a word of a good friend of mine " jeessussss'

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

Crazy I didn't know my ex-brother in law was in upstate NY :P

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

"Is this covered under warranty???"

You don't know how many times I have heard customers say that.

It's kind of funny, but then it's not. I feel for the guy who never buys NEW equipment, he saves up his money and purchases a good closeout driver, like a Cleveland HiBore Monster, and his first time with it out on the range or golf course he gets a big dent in either the crown or sole. When you try and explain to him that it's a weight issue, and that club manufacturers purposely thin the walls of crown & sole to keep the weight down, they come back with a very relative response - "You should not be able to dent a $xxx driver so easily!!!" Even when you explain that a ball is meant to be hit using the driver's clubface and not the crown or sole, they still come back with "A top quality driver should not dent so easily!"; I tend to agree with the customer.

Note to Callaway, Adams, TaylorMade, Titleist, Cleveland, Cobra, Tour Edge, Nike & Ping - Quit making your clubheads so damn big!

I try to hit balls only with my club face, although I suspect I hit a few off the top of the driver before.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived