TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Experience with Single-Length Irons

GreenDoor

Since I started playing golf just over 10 years ago, I have never been able to shoot regularly below 90.  My biggest issue was with iron consistency.  With a GIR% of only 11.1, I only ever found the green by sheer luck.  After reading many of the great articles on this site about some of the myths between modern club design versus modern marketing, I began to wonder if there might be something I was missing.  So, being the inquisitive physics geek that I am, I started researching the history of golf club design and stumbled completely by accident upon a small company in Toledo called 1 Iron Golf.  Essentially, they build iron sets all to one length; whichever length that best fits you based on your unique physiology.  Apparently this is what used to be done before turn-of-the-century manufactures learned they could sell more iron sets if they removed the need for everyone to get fit to one shaft length.  It was way more economical to make a set of varying lengths so everyone who bought a set would find at least one club that they could really hit.  Well, at the very least, I now knew why I hit my 8 iron so much better than all my other irons.

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever, a true club ho, always looking for just what works.  But even I am only willing to tinker so much.   I really was reluctant to try something that seemed to make so much sense from a physics perspective, yet had absolutely no fairway-cred that I could find.  But I ended up ordering a used set at my build specs (cheaper, cuz I am cheap).  I have to admit at the beginning, it was not a smooth transition as I never would stick with them for longer than a week or two before chickening out and going back to a more modern set makeup.  My biggest concern were with the long-iron distances.  I always felt like I was losing too much distance compared to a traditional length 3, 4, and 5 iron. 

Finally, the little voice won out and I decided to play them for three months to give them a fair shot.  Well, that three turned into the last 14 months.  Since going mostly full time to single length irons, my handicap has dropped from 19.1 last April to 11.7; my GIR from 11.1 % to 55.6%.  Oh, and those long iron distances, are now about 5 yards longer than my older/traditional set.  And my iron spacing is 12-14 yards per club (3i-205, 4i-192, 5i-180, 6i-167, 7i-155, 8i-142, 9i-128, PW-115, SW-103).  Before this set, I didn't have real gaps between my irons that I could rely on. 

The hardest part about moving to these irons, honestly, was having faith that they would actually work.  Trust in what you are doing is hard when it is something so different from what everyone else is doing.  There are probably hundreds of experts out there that would tell me that my 3 iron has to be 3 inches longer than my pitching wedge; maybe, maybe not. 

So there I am, becoming a bit more comfortable with my progress when, out of the blue, a small gift of reassurance finally arrived (because as you know, a club ho is never really, really sure;-).   Another physics geek, this time some guy from SMU who found what I had found, took the idea of one length irons to the top of the 2015 NCAA Men's Championships.  I checked the specs of Bryson's Edel irons and he built them to very similar weight and lie specs as the folks at 1 Iron Golf.  Maybe I wasn't so crazy after all.

Bottom line is I honestly feel there may be something to this idea that is worth exploring, especially if your struggle with iron consistency like I once did.   At the moment, I don't know who else other than 1 Iron is building single length golf sets, but I would love to see other companies investigate this idea.  I know some have attempted it in the past, but this idea requires very specific tolerances head-to-head regarding variables like head-weight and lie angle. 

So that's my story so far, but I get the feeling I am just getting warmed up; I shot a 76 just last week for my lowest round ever.  I would love to hear your experiences or thoughts on this idea. 

Remember...Your focus determines your reality.  - Qui-Gon Jinn (rumored +3 handicap)

It's intriguing actually.  Is there no difference in length between your irons?  How many irons do you bag?  What is the length?  Are the wedges a different length?

Again very interesting.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am intrigued.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

So, they all have the same lie angle designed for the length specified?  Interesting.  I can see a length somewhere between the 3i and 9i since we are only talking 1.5 inches either way.  But playing with wedges that are 6i length would be extremely difficult for me since I choke down on them for most shots anyway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I remember seeing a video clip of Bryson Dechambeau's bag a few months back and I thought- "typical physics major." Then I saw a video clip of him practicing. I thought my god- this kid is in an Iron Byron! Everyone who thought he was nuts with his superjumboflowmax grips and putter that has heel hang can go stick it where the sun don't shine because that kid can flat out play!

If you have enough athletic ability, you can play golf. If you have enough time to dedicate to it you will be good. This kid seems to have simplified the amount of time needed to get better!

One posture, one setup, one swing, and essentially with one club. See if you can pull up his range session from last week with the flighttracker. I don't think I could shoot a sniper rifle that straight! 

You'll never be the longest player with this method, but you may be the most accurate.

On doing that set up the iron has to be forged or cast differently from the get go and Green Door as a physics major can probably explain it better than I can. I fully understand the concept but can not explain it. I did some research on it a few years back because technical stuff like that intriques me. I like thinking outside the box. I myself do some things on my stuff that can be radical to some folks standards. My tendencies are to modify older tried and true stuff. As far as Bryson's Edel irons there was a WITB on WRX with his clubs in them and I found it to be overall interesting. Never be afraid to experiment sometimes it works sometimes it don't. I have 2 staff bags full of experimental clubs that I have built that did not work out. Remember every piece of golf equipment good or bad started as an idea

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I remember seeing a video clip of Bryson Dechambeau's bag a few months back and I thought- "typical physics major." Then I saw a video clip of him practicing. I thought my god- this kid is in an Iron Byron! Everyone who thought he was nuts with his superjumboflowmax grips and putter that has heel hang can go stick it where the sun don't shine because that kid can flat out play!

If you have enough athletic ability, you can play golf. If you have enough time to dedicate to it you will be good. This kid seems to have simplified the amount of time needed to get better!

One posture, one setup, one swing, and essentially with one club. See if you can pull up his range session from last week with the flighttracker. I don't think I could shoot a sniper rifle that straight! 

You'll never be the longest player with this method, but you may be the most accurate.

You won't be the shortest hitter on tour with this method either!

Single-axis swing like Moe Norman.  Now I have to root for the kid!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Very interesting read! When I was looking for my first set of fitted irons I had thought about getting fitted with a fitter who build his irons off the true length technology. The concept to me made sense but I decided not to do it because I couldn't find any useful reviews of the system. But I think I may take the plunge for the next set.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm still reasonably flexible for 60+, but single length irons seem like they'd be less stressful on the body.

I'm not sure I'd want my wedges or woods at the same length as my irons, but the concept is interesting.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I'm still reasonably flexible for 60+, but single length irons seem like they'd be less stressful on the body.

I'm not sure I'd want my wedges or wodds at the same length as my irons, but the concept is interesting.

I actually play all my wedges the same length from pw-60. It definitely made it nice for full wedge shots.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

What are the lofts?

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I will post more details in the morning, but I play 3 - SW at the length of my 8 iron. I will post all the lofts tomorrow, but the 3 iron is 19 degrees. I do still play a standard lob wedge, but may eventually switch that too. The 1 Iron site has a ton of historical and club engineering data and I was able to corroborate most of it on other sites. My woods and hybrids are standard length.

Remember...Your focus determines your reality.  - Qui-Gon Jinn (rumored +3 handicap)

I will post more details in the morning, but I play 3 - SW at the length of my 8 iron. I will post all the lofts tomorrow, but the 3 iron is 19 degrees. I do still play a standard lob wedge, but may eventually switch that too. The 1 Iron site has a ton of historical and club engineering data and I was able to corroborate most of it on other sites. My woods and hybrids are standard length.

Jumbo Max grips? What are the lie angles?

I saw the video of Bryson Dechambeau's bag. All of the irons including wedges are 37.5 inches, except for the TM 2 driving iron which was a standard length. He also had an Aeroburner 3W and SLDR driver at what looked like standard lengths.

Bryson averaged 301 off the tee in the St. Jude tournament.

Unfortunately, I don't have Bryson's driving average of 301; he has me beat by about 40 yards.  And I don't have his Iron-Byronesque swing either; my swing is fairly traditional.  But I do use a standard 45" driver, 43" 3 wood, and 41" hybrid (17 degrees); only my core iron set is all the length of a typical 8 iron.  The clubs from One Iron do come standard with jumbo grips, but I replaced them with standard grips after a few weeks.

The makeup of their standard set is as follows: 3i - 19 degrees, 4i - 23, 5i - 27, 6i - 31, 7i - 35, 8i - 39, 9i - 43, PW - 47, GW - 51, SW - 55, and LW - 59 degrees.  The club head lie angles are all 63.5 degrees, the bounce all 3 degrees (except for SW which has 6), the offset all 3.175mm, and the head weights all 273 grams.  I know they make a pro-level set which has slightly lighter head weights and one degree less bounce, but I have never hit those. 

As for wedges, I only play their PW and SW as the gapping worked out well for me.  I don't find their SW to be any longer or harder to hit than a standard SW as I have experimented with both on the course and on the range.  I only keep my standard LW because it gives me a different bounce option than is offered with this set.

So in all honesty, I have probably stunted my game over the years by moving from set to set, usually through ebay, knowing I could just sell it if it didn't work out.  Hell, I even got 'fit' at one of the box stores a few times, but nothing took hold.  In this case, it took a lot of self-convincing to order a set with One Iron because I knew I would not be able to trade them in if they were lousy.  I know if you buy new, they give you 30 days to try them out, but I really don't think that is long enough to see if this would work for you.  Physiologically, it makes absolute sense, but in my case, what I think or expect can color my judgment regardless of data (damn you, quantum wave-particle duality principle;-)

And Big Stu is right, you can't simply cut down your current irons because each of your specific irons is manufactured to different weights and lie angles.  Bryson essentially replicated the work the One Iron guys had done with his Edel irons; the One Irons are all manufactured/cast in the same weight/lie configurations but at different lofts.  Once I got comfortable with these irons, I was able to just about replicate what One Iron had published regarding quality of hit and loft being way more influential on ball flight and distance than the extra half inch you typically get per iron.  Of course, you don't need me to verify that; just look at Bryson's growing body of work.

And I do wish other companies would get on board with this trend.  I like One Iron for what they are doing, but have never found their club heads all that attractive.  I would also like more options regarding shafts and offset as well.  Maybe I could try Edel if I could get a good price and there wasn't too much lead tape involved.

Just went on that 1 iron golf website and there's a couple things that I feel almost instantly deter me from purchasing.

#1 iron looks- they look as cheap as a wal-mart bag in the box special. I'm talking everything about them screams cheap.

#2 iron model/design- they post a MPF ad that is from over 10 years old. Have they not redesigned or tweaked their irons at all in 10-12 years? They compare their clubs to Ping G2 and TaylorMade Rac HT's... C'mon! How many sets of irons have been released since then?

Hopefully they're ready to strike while the "iron" is hot because there's no time like the present to pray on the golfing population! Golfers will buy anything if the timing is right and I think it is for this product!

Just went on that 1 iron golf website and there's a couple things that I feel almost instantly deter me from purchasing.

#1 iron looks- they look as cheap as a wal-mart bag in the box special. I'm talking everything about them screams cheap.

#2 iron model/design- they post a MPF ad that is from over 10 years old. Have they not redesigned or tweaked their irons at all in 10-12 years? They compare their clubs to Ping G2 and TaylorMade Rac HT's... C'mon! How many sets of irons have been released since then?

Hopefully they're ready to strike while the "iron" is hot because there's no time like the present to pray on the golfing population! Golfers will buy anything if the timing is right and I think it is for this product!

Totally agree on their design and looks....yuk.

"Maybe I could try Edel if I could get a good price and there wasn't too much lead tape involved."

Heck, if you're committed to the concept, that's really the way to go.  There'd definitly be no lead tape involved and the customization options are pretty well unlimited.  Since Edel's already built Bryson's irons to his specs, they obviously have the experience to built to the design and specs for you.

It would be worth the cost, as you'll be purchasing a "forever set" of clubs.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I was trying to be polite about the looks of these, but I am not going to disagree there; I can clearly see why Bryson went with Edel.  In terms of feel, they do actually feel like an older set of Pings, like a G5 maybe.  Build quality, so far, has been again, very similar to early G-series Ping irons; which is to say pretty darn good.  If anyone is ever near Northern Virginia, let me know and you can swing by and hit them.

As for iron designs, I am not going to defend them there either, but from a business perspective, I can't imagine they were making a whole lot before; certainly not enough to design an all new set.  If they were smart, they would be all over this now because you have to know the big companies are paying attention to this; at least they should be.   Hell, it's what I would consider doing with Adams if I were running Taylormade. 

I don't go on the One Iron site often, but I did notice they made mention of Bryson's championship even though he doesn't even play their clubs.  It's almost like the single-length golf set is a micro-community in and of itself so they are willing to champion anyone who succeeds with this idea.  I don't particularly feel a part of that myself; I just play what works.

And wbealsd, I have actually been looking into going with Edel, but as a reforming club ho, am I reformed enough yet for a lifetime set?  I know my wife would love that... 

Great read !!!!

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

And wbealsd, I have actually been looking into going with Edel, but as a reforming club ho, am I reformed enough yet for a lifetime set?  I know my wife would love that...

Of course you'll need backup sets ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Why can't you just bend a set of forged irons all to the same lie & trim shafts to the same length?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

My understanding is that all the head weights have to be the same.  In the case of Bryson's they are 280 grams milled by Edel.  

The head weights are all different.

Sure if you use all identical shafts (say all 8i for example, you'd want all the heads to be 8i weight) , but if you use standard 3-PW shafts that should cover the normal difference in head weight....no?

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

I actually play all my wedges the same length from pw-60. It definitely made it nice for full wedge shots.

I have been doing the same thing for over 20 years and people said I was nuts. I still do it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Sure if you use all identical shafts (say all 8i for example, you'd want all the heads to be 8i weight) , but if you use standard 3-PW shafts that should cover the normal difference in head weight....no?

Pretty sure they use just X shaft and not a three iron shaft butt cut to X length.

From Golfweek...

"... each of [bryson DeChambeau's] irons and wedges is the same 7-iron length (37.5 inches)."

Custom clubmaker David Edel, a longtime friend of the DeChambeau family, created these clubs in Austin, Texas. It took him about four hours to mill each 280-gram clubhead. After DeChambeau secured the NCAA crown, Edel received more than 100 phone calls and emails. Other golfers want to try them, and other clubmakers want to make them.

This worries Edel, who is obsessed with precision. He cautions that single-length clubs, if made incorrectly, can be a disaster.

The concept isn't exactly new. Tommy Armour Golf introduced irons all of the same length, the EQL One Swing Design irons, in the late 1980s. Sales never took off.

To make the concept work, head weight, shaft weight, grip weight, swingweight, flex point and center of gravity should be identical in all clubs. The overall feel should be the same from one club to another.

"There is no such thing as a shortcut with these clubs," Edel said. "From fitting to manufacturing, there is no tolerance for error."

DeChambeau has a very steep swing that requires an extreme amount of sole bounce in his irons and wedges. His swing is enhanced by the biggest grip in golf – the JumboMax – along with KBS C-Taper shafts.

"My goal is the same swing and same speed for every club," DeChambeau said.

The single-length philosophy is that golfers can concentrate on just one swing, not a different swing for each iron or wedge. Conventional irons use graduated lengths and head weights.

Edel hasn't made up his mind whether he will make and sell single-length clubs. The amount of detail could make them very expensive.

Archived