My Experience with Single-Length Irons

GreenDoor

I received this email today from ValueGolf.com saying that their single length irons will be available in a couple of weeks.

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=813bc67f3cc9ab903d39ecd4f&id=bca6d685a0&e=024d24d66c

Made of 431 Stainless and all heads are 272g; suggested standard playing length is 7i

Available in 4-LW and a 4H.  Price seems reasonable at $18.95 per head.  Completed clubs with a selection of shafts is available at added cost.

Not sure if I want to give this a try or not.  Might be intriguing, but would mean that I give up my SCORs!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 4 weeks later...

Finished building a set of Pinhawks from Value Golf this past week.  Each head is 270 grams, paired with 70 gram Steel Fiber shafts from Aero Tech and Winn W5 grips.  The heads were made of 431 stainless which works very well on the bending machine as mine needed to be bent a degree flat from the factory 62.5 degrees.  The lofts were as advertised with only two being one degree low which was fixed when the lie was adjusted.  The heads are USGA legal.

Hitting into a net on the launch monitor right now as the conditions here are a bit soggy.  After the holidays they'll get a good work out and more about them will be written.  Looking forward to the new concept of playing each shot from the same spot in the stance, terrain adjustments considered, and having the same feel as the MOI is matched perfectly with the set.  

• Like 1

I'm glad this thread got refreshed, after swinging for the first time in close to 2 months my aging body is telling me it might be time to consider something like this...  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like it would be somewhat easier on the body to maintain a consistent posture throughout the set with single length irons.

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

So being the club-ho that I am, I have a couple old sets that I mess around with, but I always seem to find my way back to the single-length clubs.  Since I started this thread last Summer, I have only switched away once and quickly returned after the honeymoon effect wore off, as it always seems to. 

Admittedly, when I really middle a 4 iron from a standard set, I do get a few more yards, but as a 10 handicapper, I stubbornly realized I am better off playing the averages rather than hoping for the outlier.  The value of the single length clubs for me really has been the distance consistency, especially when playing.  I don't believe hitting them off range mats does the concept justice.

I do hope that other companies will start to offer more single length fitting options, but am not holding my breath as this flies smack in the face to most of their current marketing of potential distance over average distance.

• Like 2

Remember...Your focus determines your reality.  - Qui-Gon Jinn (rumored +3 handicap)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question. Are they all 8 iron shafts or are they 3,4,5 etc. shafts cut to the same length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver:      :taylormade-small:  SIM2 Max 9° on Fujikura VENTUS Blue 5S

Fairway:   :taylormade-small:  M6 15°  On Matrix White Tie 

:mizuno-small: ST180 18° on MRC Fubuki 

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7  Flat on Fujikura VENTUS Blue 6s

:ping-small:  G425MAX  9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

Disregard last transmission. I was reading this on the new TapaTalk app and it skipped page 2 where this is discussed in detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver:      :taylormade-small:  SIM2 Max 9° on Fujikura VENTUS Blue 5S

Fairway:   :taylormade-small:  M6 15°  On Matrix White Tie 

:mizuno-small: ST180 18° on MRC Fubuki 

:ping-small:  G425MAX  7  Flat on Fujikura VENTUS Blue 6s

:ping-small:  G425MAX  9  Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Hybrid:     :ping-small:  G425MAX  6 H Flat on :ping-small: Alta CB 65R

Irons:     :ping-small:  i 500 7-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50°, 54° & 60° on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: Studio Style Newport 1.5

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  

Range Finder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

tom wishon has a set coming out in march, on his website now for those that are interested.

Tom Wishon Q&A on single length irons.

http://wishongolf.com/technology/information-and-qa-about-single-length-irons/

What's In The Bag

Driver :titelist-small:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5* (set to 9.75* / Neutral) 46" Paderson KINETIXX Kevlar Green - R

Fairway Wood

Tom Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Fujikura Speeder 569-A

Hybrid  :cleveland-small: Hibore 22* Aldila VS Proto Blue

Irons  :ping-small: G series 5-P

Wedges :ping-small:Glide 54* SS / 60* TS - SCOR 53*

Putter     :nike-small: Nike Method 001 / P2 Reflex grip 35"

Ball

Master Grip Tour C4

Bag

Datrek DG Lite  

• 2 weeks later...

I just happened to see his YouTube video on these clubs over the weekend. And now I've read what he had to say about SL clubs. You just can't beat Tom's knowledge, experience, honesty, and integrity. At the bottom of his Q&A page on the irons he says he's a little biased....  he also says the SL irons might not be for everyone. He says some may even find them Weird. Do you ever think you'd hear something like that from TaylorMade or Ping, or Titleist, etc. Not in a million years. If one of those companies comes out with any SL sets you can bet they'll claim theirs are the holy grail.

Also as a side note... the Sterling SL club heads Tom designed have a similar look to my 771's.

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The Sterling irons are definitely interesting. I looked around and might have missed it but didn't see if they'd be available in LH.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, no lefties yet, but I do expect these Sterling's will generate some buzz as the head design does look good. Hopefully Tom will consider it once he see's how his sales go.

Thanks

TLT DAN

True Length Technology

True Frequency Technology

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

This is what I don't understand. If the irons are the same length, then the different loft irons must be of approximately the same weight as well--either that or a progressive rather than constant swingweight.

How do they figure out the loft gaps, and are those constant or progressive as well?

It seems very counterintuitive to me.

Somebody should do a scientific explanation of how it's supposed to work.

This is what I don't understand. If the irons are the same length, then the different loft irons must be of approximately the same weight as well--either that or a progressive rather than constant swingweight.

How do they figure out the loft gaps, and are those constant or progressive as well?

It seems very counterintuitive to me.

Somebody should do a scientific explanation of how it's supposed to work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455105239.994489.jpg

Here is a list of their specs. The only thing that is different is their loft.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Works for Bryson Dechamboue. He's been pretty hot recently playing with the pros. Could be an interesting topic at the masters if he keeps playing this well. As for me I hit my normal bland set pretty well so I'll stick with them for now.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 1 year later...

I just received my new Cobra F7 One single length irons. I have been fascinated by the possibility since I started learning a bit about club making many years ago.  I have decided to write about my experiences with the Cobras on my golf blog- if you are interested, take a look and feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

linkswanderer.com