TESTERS WANTED! ×

MEMBER TESTING! Wilson Staff 2015 Golf Ball Review

MGS Headline PIC.jpg

As you all know, we have 15 MGS'ers out there testing Wilson Staff's 2015 lineup of golf balls.  The testers are:

Wilson DUO: Joezilla, Woz, BogeyInTheWoods, severtheties, tider

Wilson DUO Spin: snuffyword, Fozcycle, TxSTCatman, SlicerB, TacoTollefson67

Wilson FG Tour: Sp0rtsfan86, MotoGolfer250, casey_0507, JudgeSmails, PBH3

Balls Being Tested: 

Wilson DUO: Redesigned for 2015. 29 compression (lowest on the market, according to Wilson), 2-piece ball for greater distance and soft feel around the green. $19.99/dozen

Wilson DUO Spin: New for 2015. A 3-piece ball with a 35 compression, Wilson touts it as the world;s lowest compression multi-layer ball. $26.99/dozen

Wilson FG Tour: Also redesigned for 2015, it's a 4-piece, urethane tour ball with a 70 compression. $44.00/dozen

MyGolfSpy sent each tester a pre-test questionnaire to get a general idea their thoughts on the Wilson brand, what balls they play now and what they look for in a golf ball.  We received some interesting feedback.

Experience with Wilson Staff Balls

Most of our testers had never played Wilson Staff balls prior to this test.  Four testers had tried Wilson balls before, either the original DUO or the 50Elite. One tester went all the way back to the 80's with the Wilson Blue Ridge.

MGS Wilson test 1.jpgMGS Wilson Test 2.jpg

Favored Ball Brands

When asked what balls they normally play (several testers play several different brands), here's what we found:

Titleist (ProV's/NXT/DT Solo)                               9           

Bridgestone (E5, E6, E7, 330)                              6

TaylorMade (Project a, Lethal)                             3

Nike (Mojo, PD Long, Speed Soft, Vapor 1)        4

Srixon (Q-Star, other)                                           2

Callaway (Hex Chrome)                                       1

TopFlite Gamer                                                    1

MaxFli                                                                  1

3UP                                                                      1

MG Golf                                                               1   

Where Do You Get Info on Balls?

We also asked our testers where they get their information on golf balls (multiple responses from several responders):

MyGolfSpy/Other websites:                                    9

Golf magazines, HotList:                                         5

Other players:                                                          3

Golf retail outlets:                                                    3

Manufacturer's websites:                                        3

TV ads, GolfChannel:                                              2

Wilson Duo.jpg

What Do You Look For In a Golf Ball?

Tons of answers here, but there were some dominant themes. 

Nearly everyone greed on two things: consistency and feel.  Testers want consistency in distance and control, especially from 125 yards and in.  Nearly every tester mentioned predictable action on the green (i.e. spin). 

Feel is harder to define, but virtually all of the testers place a value on feel, especially when putting.

And when it comes to feel, we have to share what may be the quote of the review process so far, from TxSTCatman:

“I like a ball that has some feel to it. Nothing too hard that reminds me of having dental work under a local, and nothing so soft that I'd rather use it in a cup of hot chocolate”

Yup, MGS reviewers have what it takes!!!

Several reviewers also mentioned durability is important, valueing a ball that could last a few rounds without unacceptable scarring.

2014-12-15 17.28.10.jpg

Thoughts on the Wilson Staff Brand

I'm a marketing geek, so this is where things get interesting. We asked our testers what comes to mind when they think of Wilson Staff:

“Tennis! I never thought of Wilson golf balls, other than as bulk discount”

“Cheap, for hackers.”

“Better than cheap brands. Decent quality for the price”

Outdated Wal-Mart quality”

“Once a top brand but now obscure”

“2nd tier brand”

Yikes! Other testers, however, had very different opinions:

“Older brand, solid equipment without the glitz and glam of the big OEM's”

“A little dated, but certainly on the comeback”

"Really like the brand...the golf equipment is on the rebound"

“Great history, rebuilding the brand and making great strides in recent years”

“Very underrated, high quality”

“Underrated, making great clubs and really nice golf balls”

“Improving quality in all of their equipment”

After this introduction, we'll have the reviewers chime in with their experiences. Please ask any questions of our reviewers that you want. They're ready and eager to share their experiences with you and let you know what they think of the 2015 Wilson Staff ball lineup.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excited to see what everyone has to say! Hopefully I'm allowed to post here...  :unsure: But I'm very interested in people's opinions on these balls!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

The Duo is my primary ball. I love it. I don't feel like I'm good enough yet to warrant a $40+ ball, primarily because I still lose them at a good clip.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Everyone can post here - hope to develop some good conversation between the testers and others. Please ask tons of questions!!!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wasn't sure if it was like our thread where they were going to post their "reserved" comments! Haha.

Well, the first question (and most important for me) is how do these things spin on the green? Any testers of the different balls can answer. The one I'm probably most interested in would be the Duo Spin.

And also, has anyone compared any of the three against the Snell MTB? I'm all in on that ball and would love a comparison...

Happy testing! :)

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I tested the Wilson Duo 2015 distance golf ball at a local course.  I used this year's model (29 compression) for 75% of the early round and last year's model for the final 25% (40 compression) of the round.

10463551.jpg?is=500,500

First Impressions – You can noticeably tell the difference in the 29 compression ball off the tee.  It feels soft, like a well struck golf shot should.  The sound and feel is fantastic.  It really feels like you are compressing the ball at impact.  Early own most of my shots were draws.  Previous rounds, because of a back injury, all my misses were all fades.  With this golf ball it changed my big miss!

Drives:  All my drives were all playable.  In the fairway or just out.  Good ball off the tee.

Second shots:  Second shots were comparable to drives.  Felt good off the club face and sounded great.

Chipping:  My chipping was off because of my lay off so no real opinion on the ball.  I think my chips were just bad swings and will need to practice more in this area to give a reasonable opinion of the ball.    

Putting:  This is the only negative that I have to say about the DUO.  It feels too soft on the greens.  Takes you a while to get used to the very soft feel and figuring out speed on the greens.  Felt a little “mushy” to me early on.  Exactly like an insert on a putter that is too soft.  That may be personal bias as I do not like putter faces with really soft inserts. 

Once I changed over to the 2014 Wilson Duo, you could noticeably feel that last year's ball was a little firmer.  The feel was not as good as the 2015 model.  The ball performed well but was “different”.  Just to make sure it wasn't just my opinion, I had my buddy Ken, hit the 2015 Model and he said that it feels great, sounds great and performs well.  He's been playing the Bridgestone E6 model and really like the Wilson Duo. 

All in all, the Wilson Duo 29 compression golf ball is a great product and a price point that should make it one of the most desired golf balls in the market for amateurs.  It performs great off the tee, fairway and on the green. 

At the end of the day, I hit a streak of 5 straight pars and a birdie for a best ever score of 37 on nine holes.  It will stay in my bag!

So let me start with this preface since this is my first real review for MGS. If you can believe the USGA (do so at your own risk), the average American Male golfer plays an 18 handicap. So playing anywhere from a 20-23 handicap, I guess I am a slightly less than average golfer. I believe that I am an average rec golfer. I love the game. I like and want to get better. From shooting in the high 100-teens over a year ago when I started playing to shooting in the mid 90's right now, I am satisfied with what I have done so far. I want to, and plan to, get better. Yet I know it will take some more money and time. With a baby on the way, I know my progression in skill will be put on hold a bit. I understand basics in golf i.e.: why I slice, how spin affects ball flight, why Tiger is sucking. (OK, maybe no one really knows the last one, but you get my drift.) I will not try to understand what makes this shaft better than that one. I don't want to try to comprehend why speed pockets, or compression channels make clubs easier for me to hit (if, in fact, they do). If I want to know if something would be good for my game, I normally turn to my buddies here on the boards. Normally, I don't need and engineering degree to get the answers they give me. So the bottom line, is that I see myself as Average Joe Golfer (USGA be damned). As such, that's how I will frame my review. So if you want Foresight numbers, skip my report now. I am gonna give you the Average Joe Golfer way it is. That being said:

Bogey in the Wood's two cents on the Wilson Duo

Needless to say, I was very excited to be chosen to participate in the MGS testing. Even though I wanted to be in the Hogan testing, the bottom line, is that shooting in the 90's I wouldn't be much help in a real evaluation on that gear. Someday…….just not today. Wilson Duo, the 29 compression ball, IS something that I can put through its paces. And so I did.

IMG_2394.JPG

When I got the balls in the mail, I immediately opened them to put my mark on the balls for play. Normally a small “H” slightly above the name. Obviously this was a moot point when I saw that Wilson specially stamped these for the MGS test. It is amazing how something so simple can make a hack like me feel special. Almost like it was my first “custom” swag from the golfing world.  Hell, not almost. It WAS my first custom swag, and I grinned like a little schoolboy on Christmas.

So marking them was moot. I did it anyway. While doing so, I examined each of the balls. Of the 12, 3 had small imperfections on the shell. Of those three, two turned out to be excess material that seemed to simply get stuck to the ball during the manufacture process. The last was a bit more significant than that. Possibly a small ding in the mold used to make the ball. To get it off, I ended up using a small razor blade and actually cut it free. This left a small knick in the ball. Nothing to concern me.

Overall, I really like the look of the ball. It is clean. I am not a fan of overly-large labels or logos. I think a simple name or logo is sufficient. Titleist is the standard for a clean simple label. Nike is the standard for a clean logo that needs no name. I don't think you need your name AND logo on a ball (Callaway, Taylormade, Bridgestone). Nice, clean and simple. That's what I want to see on my ball.

Now after reading Fozcycle posting on the thread about how soft they felt putting, I figured I would read up a bit on the science of golf balls. BIG MISTAKE. It isn't bad that I learned some things. It was bad that reading it put some pre-conceived notions in my head that didn't do me any favors when I played.

PLAY TIME

I chose Shadowglen Golf Club for my round. After the floods of a few weeks ago, I was curious to see how the course had faired. With three of the fairways at least three feet underwater during the worst of the weather, I really wanted to see how bad it was. It wasn't bad at all. In fact, they had done a stupendous job of getting the course play ready.

After my normal bucket on the range, I went to the putting green. Again, I enjoyed the clean look of the ball. The aiming line on the side of the ball was almost perfect for me. I started with putting a tee into the green and aiming for it instead of a hole. I read somewhere that is a way to focus your stroke. The feel on contact was very soft indeed. So much so, that when thinking about writing this, I almost went and bought some jumbo marshmallows to take a picture of me trying to putt. Gone was the normal, semi solid “thwump” I normally hear when I am putting. The sound reminded me of what it might sound like if you put a silencer on a putter. The normal feel of contact was greatly muted as well.  So much so, that I thought I was just really using super soft hands and not making the contact I usually do. Turns out that wasn't the case. Once I became accustomed to the sound and feel, I could begin to pay attention to the putt itself.

The balls roll true. With the soft feel and sound, they still rolled just as far and true as my usual e7 balls did. I didn't find a need to change anything of my stroke other than my expectations of sound and feel. On longer putts, I am notorious for really slapping at the ball and bouncing it for the first few feet. I didn't find this with the Duos. Once I noticed this, I tried to see what it would take to bounce them with my putter. It finally took a putt all the way across the entire putting green (approx. 100 ft wide) that flew off the green by about 15 feet before I could bounce the ball off the putter.

The last significant difference I found on the putting green was the bounce once it fell in the cup. If you have ever dropped a ping pong ball into an empty glass, you know what I am about to describe. The first Duo I dropped in the cup fell on top of one of the driving range balls already in there. It was only a four foot putt so I could see the cup well. The Duo bounced around the sides of the cup and top of the other ball for a few seconds. I pulled the balls and putt a few more of the Duos into cups. The same ping pong'esque bounce repeated itself for me. Don't know why it surprised me like it did.  I thought it unusual from my normal ball and wanted to mention it here.

TEE TIME

I chose to play three balls off each tee and chose the best two to play to the pin. I was alone and course was open, so I didn't need the slow play missile to help me keep the pace of play. I used the Duo, Bridgestone e7, and the Nike Mojo as my three balls. I have played several rounds with the two latter and know what to expect.

Expecting my normal first tee jitters was unfounded today. Teeing up the Duo a little lower than I usually do, I went ahead and swung at what I am guessing was about 80% of my “go for broke” tee shot.  I flashed back again to the image of hitting a jumbo marshmallow based on the feel and sound of the hit. As I began to look up to follow the ball, expecting a mishit bassed on sound and feel, I was amazed to see it shoot down the middle of the short stuff.

The 241 yard shot from the tee is a smidge better than my normal shot off of number 1 on any course.

1.jpg

I began to think It was a lucky mishit. My other two balls performed as they normally do. Both coming to rest on the right side of the fairway about 10 yards further than the Duo.

As the round progressed, my preconceived notions about what I had read on this ball began to give me issues. With the continued soft “mishit” feel and sound of contact, I kept telling myself to club up, or muscle up to get this crème puff ball to the green. Big Mistake! As you can see on my third shot to number 1, I flew the green by a considerable distance. This was not an isolated incident. Yet each time I hit long, at the moment of contact, I just KNEW I was short and off center. By around the 14th or 15th hole, I was getting acustomed to the sound and feel. Finally beginning to find my range on approach shots to what I was expecting and getting with the other balls.

Approach to the green was not as easy to stop the ball. Found I couldn't make the spin on the ball I was used to. Each time, I would drop one of my normal balls and make the same shot, normally stopping the ball as I expect to. Found myself chipping or hitting “bump and runs” with the Duo, where I would pitch with my other balls. With chipping, the ball seemed to run out a little shorter than the other balls.  Once I became used to the balls behavior, it was easy to predict performance.

OVERALL IMPRESSION

So the bottom line was this is a ball that is just as soft as they claim. When it comes to distance, the ball is almost as long as they claim it is. Once you get used to not hearing and feeling the same thing that you may be used to on impact, this is a fun ball to play. What I may have lost off the tee in distnace, I gladly traded off for being on the fairway. Of my 13 tee shots with my driver or three wood, 11 of them found me on the fairway with the Duo. My other balls were 10-25 yards further downrange, but always in the longer, less hospitable foliage. I will take that loss of distance to hit from the fairway EVERYTIME!

A while back, I read about guys playing a ladies ball due to the soft feel and long hit. I think it was the Solaire. I can see why that might be appealing. This ball is very soft. I will continue to play these balls till they are gone. Once gone, I will probably not buy more. The sound and feel and almost too soft for me. I will, however, try the other offerings from Wilson based on these balls.

You want a soft and fairly long ball? Give the Duo a try.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

Nice review,I could never review anything. I admire your literary talent.

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

So let's talk about feel shall we? I've never really noticed a lot of difference between golf balls until this year... mostly because I never had a reliable enough swing to really understand the differences. Fast forward to today and I'm currently testing the Wilson FG tour, the Prov V1x and the Bridgestone B330s and can really see the differences. All have noticeably different feels. 

The hardest of the bunch for me was the 330S. It doesn't feel like a rock, but compared to the other two balls... well it felt a lot more solid. You can still feel a bit of compression off the putter, but for the most part it's a solid click... easily the most audible. 

The next two are really similar. Going by feel the Bridgestone would be 30/100 with 100 being the hardest. The Titelist and Wilson balls would be around 5 and 6. Close enough that it's almost moot compared to the Bridgestone.

The Pro v1x is similar to the FG Tour. Both are soft off the putter, but feel different in a unique way. The Prov1x is the softer ball as a whole but the cover feels harder. The reverse is true for the FG Tour... it's feels soft at least off the cover but in the milliseconds it combines with the ball... it feels just a touch heavier to get the ball going. The FG Tour was the lightest click... almost inaudible while the Pro-V1x. 

Off the driver, the Prov1x is a lot more softer and the differences are a lot bigger between the Titelist and FGTour. That's where I found the biggest difference... the Prov1x feels like it compresses better than thus it feels like it should fly further. I haven't noticed any huge difference in distance between them but based on feel the Pro v1x is my go to.

In the next installment I'll talk about spin off the tee and around the greens with them, but for now I must go test.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Good start guys!  

So far this year I've gamed both the DUO Spin and the FG Tour.  If I had to compare the DUO Spin to another ball I'd say it's very close to the Snell Tour ball - not quite as long off the tee for me, but with better spin characteristics around the green -- again, for my game.  And I do like the feel of the 35 compression.  

The FG Tour is a first rate Tour level ball -- very happy with both distance and control on the green.  

But for $26.99/dozen, the DUO Spin is a hell of a bargain.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I tested the Wilson Duo earlier this week against a Bridgestone Tour B 330-S (which is for swing speeds over 105 mph).  My swing speed is only 95 mph but I thought it would be interesting to see how the difference would be.  I played 5 holes with the Duo and found it to perform exactly as my first write up.  Good feeling, good distance off the tee and very reliable.  Once I changed over to the Bridgestone Tour 330-S, you cannot believe how hard the ball felt.  It felt as though you were hitting a rock off the tee instead of a golf ball.  I used the Bridgestone for a couple holes and swapped back to the Duo.  What a great feeling ball especially after hitting the wrong ball for my swing speed.  Get fitted for which golf ball you use.  Wilson Staff Duo is hard to beat. 

So let's talk about feel shall we? I've never really noticed a lot of difference between golf balls until this year... mostly because I never had a reliable enough swing to really understand the differences. Fast forward to today and I'm currently testing the Wilson FG tour, the Prov V1x and the Bridgestone B330s and can really see the differences. All have noticeably different feels. 

The hardest of the bunch for me was the 330S. It doesn't feel like a rock, but compared to the other two balls... well it felt a lot more solid. You can still feel a bit of compression off the putter, but for the most part it's a solid click... easily the most audible. 

The next two are really similar. Going by feel the Bridgestone would be 30/100 with 100 being the hardest. The Titelist and Wilson balls would be around 5 and 6. Close enough that it's almost moot compared to the Bridgestone.

The Pro v1x is similar to the FG Tour. Both are soft off the putter, but feel different in a unique way. The Prov1x is the softer ball as a whole but the cover feels harder. The reverse is true for the FG Tour... it's feels soft at least off the cover but in the milliseconds it combines with the ball... it feels just a touch heavier to get the ball going. The FG Tour was the lightest click... almost inaudible while the Pro-V1x. 

Off the driver, the Prov1x is a lot more softer and the differences are a lot bigger between the Titelist and FGTour. That's where I found the biggest difference... the Prov1x feels like it compresses better than thus it feels like it should fly further. I haven't noticed any huge difference in distance between them but based on feel the Pro v1x is my go to.

In the next installment I'll talk about spin off the tee and around the greens with them, but for now I must go test.

A nice review. Why the B330s though? It's bridgestone's Pro VI. The regular B330 or the B330 RXS would be the better choice. I will be anxious to hear about distance off the tee with the FGA Tour. I sampled their last generation ball but never considered putting it in play because I was shorter with it than other premium balls.

@Barbajo thanks for including our testers impressions on Wilson. If that's what they are getting from a group of us their marketing department has a long way to go. Wow, some of that was tough to read from a Wilson user's perspective. Do you really think my irons came from Walmarts? I've got my wallet lets go play shall we? :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sorry duplicate post. I'm going to keep my IPad in the bag and whenever Im tempted to throw a club, I'm throwing the IPad.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Having trouble with my pics........but I have been playing the Duo Spin for a couple rounds now and I must say that I am enjoying the play.  I have been experimenting with several Low Compression balls (Maxfli Softli 35 Compression, Duo 29 Compression, 3UP 2S14 55 Compression, DT Solo ?? Low Compression, Callaway Supersoft 35 compression).

The Duo Spin is a 35 compression 3 piece ball....so the feel will be very similar to other Low Compression balls.  I will address both Feel and Performance in later posts.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Here we go.....a package at the door....

IMG_0001.JPG?guid=messagepart%3AINBOX%2F

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

The Contents inside......one dozen Wilson Staff Duo Spins...

IMG_0002.JPG?guid=messagepart%3AINBOX%2F

Away we go....

IMG_0012.JPG?guid=messagepart%3AINBOX%2F

IMG_0013.JPG?guid=messagepart%3AINBOX%2F

I found the Duo Spin to be very straight off the Tee.....and when I hit it "between the screws" the result was somewhat farther than the Maxfli Softfli and Bridgestone e6.

First off... good reviews and write-ups guys.

I've played the Duo a couple of years back. Didn't like it at all. Especially around the greens. Soft feeling? Yes... too soft for me. I heard someone comment that it felt like hitting a tennis ball with a baseball bat. I agree. However, the FG Tour is a much different animal. The FG Tour is an excellent ball which I highly recommend.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

First, thanks for my first opportunity to field test any golf equipment. Being that I've tried to play the game for 46 years now, I think I have a good bit of experience on which to base my evaluations.

My process of evaluating the Wilson Duo Spin is probably different than most. My situation and location provides me with the opportunity to play as a single most of the time, mid-week and mid-day which usually allows the time to play 2 balls per shot. Therefore, my testing is a somewhat side by side comparison.

Here are my evaluations to date:

R1 VS WILSON DUO:

Not much noticeable difference, except the sound when hitting the ball. Especially when putting.

R2 VS TITLEST NXT SPIN:

Again, no significant difference

R3 VS MAXFLI U/4:

WDS much softer feel off all clubs, and less fade off driver

R4 VS BRIDGESTONE B330RX

No significant difference, except WDS may be a bit longer

R5 VS TITLEST PROV1

Again, no significant difference

I've played all 3 of these balls. I'm not a tester, but my preconceived notions for each are:

Duo: This ball is a monster off the tee from Driver to 7 - Iron. Extra distance, nice bounces off firm fairways. It's not as good the closer you get to the hole and the shorter the club you're hitting.

Duo Spin: Only have hit it once as I found one on the course. But I thought it had some pretty nice feel and seemed playable.

FG Tour: I've played this one a lot. It's nice off the club and has good spin. Decent feel off of the putter. But I'm convinced I lose 5 yards in iron play and more off the driver compared to the 330RX and the ProV1. I'm curious to see how the reviews pan out.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

I've played all 3 of these balls. I'm not a tester, but my preconceived notions for each are:

Duo: This ball is a monster off the tee from Driver to 7 - Iron. Extra distance, nice bounces off firm fairways. It's not as good the closer you get to the hole and the shorter the club you're hitting.

Duo Spin: Only have hit it once as I found one on the course. But I thought it had some pretty nice feel and seemed playable.

FG Tour: I've played this one a lot. It's nice off the club and has good spin. Decent feel off of the putter. But I'm convinced I lose 5 yards in iron play and more off the driver compared to the 330RX and the ProV1. I'm curious to see how the reviews pan out.

That was my experience also in regards to the 330RX and the FGA Tour.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Duo Spin Feel:

The first couple putts were a bit off because I was had to get used to the softness of the ball.  Once I was accustomed to the softer ball I was able to stike it so that I could get it to the hole.  Even if i missed, I just had a very short tap in.  I had several 15 to 20+ footers that died right at the hole....so once you get used to the softer feel off the putter, the softness is not an issue.

I'm not a tester, but I'm one of the very few who will play the Wilson balls by choice -- WHEN I can get them cheap.   The Duo has been my absolute go to ball in cold weather for two years.  I won't hit anything else.  When the temp dips below 40, the Duo's softness becomes "normal" and it goes much further than just about anything else.   In warm weather, it runs out of gas for me off a driver and doesn't seem quite as long.   I've never been bothered by its sponginess while putting, but I've had several other single digit friends who couldn't bear it and tossed it aside after a couple of putts.   For me, it's like the spongy trigger on the Glock.   Different at first, but once you get used to it....

The FG Tour is my favorite ball.  Sadly, I don't play it enough because it's hard to find, period, and very difficult to find for less than $44.   I hawk for balls at my course so I have bags and bags of perfect ProV's, negating my desire to buy new balls.   The FG's cover feels stickier than the ProV but this stickiness wears off quickly.   Durability isn't quite up to ProV standards, but is fine.   I find them a shade softer than the ProV, MUCH softer than the Bridgestone, and I like this attribute.   After playing many many rounds of two balls side by side with ProV and FG, I can say with good confidence that the FG is a couple of yards shorter off the driver, but oddly it's about 5 yards longer off of any iron.   Many are the holes where I'd hit the same irons for both balls and be a tad longer on the green with the Wilson.   This attribute was what ultimately pushed me the FG tour's way because there are 4 par 3's per round that a longer iron benefits from.

Oddly, I haven't heard really anyone comment on spin or green holding differences with the FG.   That's because there really aren't any.   The spin charts say the FG is the closest ball to the ProV in terms of spin and I've never seen the slightest difference in my testing.  I make no mental adjustments at all when I switch back and forth.   I'll be interested to see what other say about this aspect.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

When the box of Duo Spin arrived in the mail, I was excited to break it open to see the product. I liked the way the balls look. The dimples seem very uniform and has a nice pattern. I couldn't spot any seam and the logo was fine. I compared it to a Pro V1 and the Duo Spin looks brighter and more glossy.

I didn't have time to really test the ball so I put it in play at a tournament a couple days later. I was impressed with the results from my round. The Duo Spin seemed to fly further off the tee, the short game was better, and the ball felt the same as the Pro V1 when I putted. I thought to myself, this ball could be my gamer in the future.

When I finally had the time, I played 9 holes comparing the Duo Spin with a Pro V1. Other than the first hole (I really spanked the Pro V1), the Duo Spin was longer off the tee. I used a driver, 3-metalwood, hybrid, and 6-iron and each time, the Duo Spin landed and rolled further. I could give you the difference in the yardage but to try to keep this post somewhat short, the difference was significant enough to club down on the next shot. Advantage: Duo Spin.

Th distances didn't vary much on the next shot. The results were similar when I was in the fairway or the rough. The biggest difference was when I was inside 125 yards. The ball traveled further with my wedges. After the second time the ball landed past my expected distance, I clubbed down and that worked out fine. I guess I need to redial my distance gap in the wedges. (P-wedge 45*, 49*, 53*, 57*) Advantage: Duo Spin.

I can't spin the ball on the short game of chipping and pitching, but the Duo Spin seemed to check up better and has less release than the Pro V1. On a full wedge shot (and I tend to hit these shots high), the Duo Spin released on average about 4 feet from the pitch mark. With chipping, I'm not afraid to go right at the flagstick. When I hit a good chip, I wasn't far from the hole and usually one-putt.

I played the Duo last year and I liked it a lot. The Duo Spin does feel softer, does travel farther (for me), checks up better, and putts just like a Pro V1, to me. I really like this ball and plan to put it into play at another tournament this Saturday and Sunday. I plan to take the Duo Spin and Pro V1 to a simulator and compare numbers with a driver, 7-iron and sand wedge in the near future. Please let me know if I can elaborate more on certain aspects that you want to discuss.

Great work so far guys!  Can't wait to hear from the rest of the gang!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

A nice review. Why the B330s though? It's bridgestone's Pro VI. The regular B330 or the B330 RXS would be the better choice. I will be anxious to hear about distance off the tee with the FGA Tour. I sampled their last generation ball but never considered putting it in play because I was shorter with it than other premium balls.

@Barbajo thanks for including our testers impressions on Wilson. If that's what they are getting from a group of us their marketing department has a long way to go. Wow, some of that was tough to read from a Wilson user's perspective. Do you really think my irons came from Walmarts? I've got my wallet lets go play shall we? :)

Actually it's pretty simple. I played the RX originally but couldn't spin it around the greens. The RXS in my mind wasn't going to fix that. I wanted to go to a full spin ball rather than one for lower swing speeds. In retrospect you are probably right. I haven't seen any distance loss between balls quite yet, but only got two rounds in with them so far.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

Contrary to the other reviews in limited sampling I spun the Pro v1x a lot better than the FG Tour. Again limited sampling, so could easily be technique rather than anything more. I'll try to play two balls a hole next time I play rather than go back and forth throughout the round.

Dynamic Duo

I was thrilled that I was chosen to test anything golf. To preface this, I shoot about 100 on a good day. My swing speed is about 90 mph.

I was surprised that I got a dozen golf balls to test. I was expecting a 3 pack. Nothing but the best from MGS.

The day before my round I had to mark the balls and other preparations for the golfer (see image).

I decided that the best test would be to hit with my usual ball, Srixon Soft Feel for a few holes and then with the Duo for a few. Then switch back and forth.

I chose the Soft Feel a few years ago because I like the way they worked around the green and especially putting.

I went out to The Sanctuary in New Lenox, IL. I decided I would measure the distance and count putts. It was a busy Saturday so I did not want to get too clever lest I slow things up and invite the wrath of the rangers.

I found that on average, I got 9 more yard per drive with the Duo. These were shots that were hit with the driver only. I also noticed the drives went straighter. I still tend to go left to right with my driver. Can a ball really straighten out my mini slice? That would be an engineering marvel to rival the pyramids.

I used each ball for 9 holes. Overall, I putted 4 less times with the Duo (14 to 18). I am not sure it is because they pitched better or putted truer.

Overall I liked the ball. I hope to test it again soon to see if the distance and putting numbers hold up.

4 - Pre round.JPG

Woz

Picture of the year right there!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Working the Duo Spin today, I noted that the ball checked up a lot more than the other low compression balls I had been playing. Several times I had, what I thought was a great chip shot, only to see that it went 1/2 way to the hole and the Duo Spin checked and stopped rather than roll out. I guess I will have to start throwing it to the pin.

Archived