TESTERS WANTED! ×

MEMBER TESTING! Wilson Staff 2015 Golf Ball Review

Excellent reviews guys -- keep 'em coming!!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent reviews guys -- keep 'em coming!!!

Question:  For member reviews like the one being conducted on the Wilson balls, is it possible for someone to summarize everyone's findings at the end so people can look at the results in one post?  List the similar things that everyone wrote about, highlight any differences, and provide and overall comparison to other balls tested.  I think this would benefit readers looking to check out this ball without having to go though umpteen posts and read every comment.  Just a suggestion...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Question:  For member reviews like the one being conducted on the Wilson balls, is it possible for someone to summarize everyone's findings at the end so people can look at the results in one post?  List the similar things that everyone wrote about, highlight any differences, and provide and overall comparison to other balls tested.  I think this would benefit readers looking to check out this ball without having to go though umpteen posts and read every comment.  Just a suggestion...

That's the plan, Stan  B)

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

That's the plan, Stan  B)

Now you sound like my Dad!!  He has a brother named Stanley.  When he talks to him on the phone, he keeps calling him Kenny.  When I visit Dad, he calls me Stanley.  Takes a couple of days for this to wear off.  This has been going on for 50 years!!  BTW, we don't look anything alike.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

didn't get out this weekend. courses close early by me on weekends especially on holiday weekends. however, have jury duty tomorrow which means I may be able to sneak out afterwards and get some range time or perhaps a quick 18 in.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Played a Maxfli U4 for the first 3 holes, then switched to the Duo Spin for the rest of the round. The Duo Spin handled very nice off the tee, but the real deal was the flight off my irons today. The greens were pretty hard but the ball grabbed and held the greens. I am now living the 20+ foot putts with the Duo Spin as If I am not holing it out, I am leaving myself with a tap in par. A and this was with a ball that I have played for three rounds!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Wasn't able to play the Duo this past weekend because Walmart was sold out of those AND the Callaway super soft. So l played the e6. They had the 50 elite but I didn't want to try those yet.

But I went Monday night and pick up a box of Duo's in yellow and will play them Saturday.

Question: I've played the e6 in white and in yellow. The e6 yellow ball feels harder and it's like an extra coating on the outside of the ball. When I hold the yellow Duo in my hand, the color feels like it's mixed with the regular coating and not an extra layer. (I've not hit the Duo yet so can't compare that yet). Anybody else notice this?

I was supposed to review the FG Tour ball, but Wilson never sent them.  So my only experience with Wilson suggests that while the brand may be making improvements to reinvent itself, it is still more at home on a Walmart shelf than in the bags of better players.

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

Just played another round with the Wilson Duo Ball.  I actually bought a new dozen yellow (Duos) to play the round.  The play yesterday, substantiated my former opinions on the ball.  The ball has exceptional driver distance with good all around performance.  The Duo ball delivered a soft feel on or around the greens.  The ball does feel a little "soft" on chip shots and short range shots and given the soft nature of the ball it feels very muted with a soft face putter like my Odyssey Versa Tank No. 7 (White Hot Insert).   A few of the putts tended to release and roll more than expected.  All in all, a great two piece ball that should serve the "Average Joes" very Well.   It has served me well.  

Wilson-Staff-Duo-Yellow-Golf-Balls_Defau

Got to play 9 today after work.....on the first hole a guy came up and asked if he could join me. I said no prob come on, then thought "there goes m practice round testing the DoSpin against a couple other balls. Anyway, we started and played nine holes. He was definitely better. After some discussion, I discovered that he played with a bunch of ,guys that I used to play with.....small world. After 9, he said let's play 3 on the back for a beer(16 - 18...he gave me two strokes. I lost the first hole straight up. His par to my obey. But I get a stroke on the las two holes. I beat him on the 17th hole straight up, my par to is bogey. On 18 my drive went right. It was a dogleg right so I had to punch a low runner to 115 yards out. Meanwhile he put his 2nd on the green. I put my 3rd on the green about 8 feet from the hole. He missed his putt and missed again. I put mine close then holed out. I had a bogey as did he, so I won the hole. That said, I won the three holes....and the beer.

Long story short I played the DuoSpin all right, it already had 3 rounds on it. The ball performed admirably.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Better late than never: 

here's the photos when they arrived. So far I've lost a bunch mostly in the deserts of southwest AZ.

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

Got a round in with the FG Tour. I'm down to three left from the MGS test because the desert hates me, and I hit a duffer that landed today in the only lake where you can't see your ball. I have another dozen on the way to show some good faith in Wilson for allowing me this test and also additionally to test against the B330S. (side note: still waiting on the US Open thread balls for said comparison). Anyway I have a few newish takeaways:

The ball is a gamer in the wind. It had to be a 20 MPH crosswind on most holes today. Not only did it stay straight, it also saved my butt about 3 times when my ball should have been OB. Let me explain: I hit a semislice on 3. The winds were blowing left to right. The ball could have easily been OB or in someones backyard. I found it 3 yards in bounds. Without a doubt, a Pro v1x would have been in the backyard. Another hole I hit one right. Instead of fading into the bushes, it instead held the wind and ended up being in bounds by a foot. Downside: I was on 17 into the wind and right to left. I aimed up the right side and hit a push-draw. I hit it off the toe a bit which usually results in a solid but shorter draw/hook. I was shocked to see it stay on line in the rough and end up there. Easily it has less side spin then the Prov1x. I hit them back to back fearing I put the Wilson in a tree and played a provisional with the prov1x. One was in the rough on the right, the other was big time left. Wind was right to left, which helped the hook, but I took away how big the hook (titlest) was compared to how much the slice stayed online.(prov1x)

It however lacks any sort of stopping power with my game. I get that others can get a ball to spin, but me it's nearly impossible unless I'm gaming a titlest. I hit some poor chips today followed by great ones. If you don't mind a bit of roll out the ball is great. It's great for bump and runs and deadening a shot into the fringe. I hit about 3 that way and landed two within a foot and another went in. However, where it struggles is the flop. I cannot get it to stop on a dime, which means I'm usually putting from 20-30 feet if I have to hit a flop to the pin from more than 25 yards out. I can get a prov1x to spin a lot more and generally stop it within 12 feet, so the difference is pretty noticeable.

Wear: After duffing the first one into the lake, I managed to keep the second ball for the entire round. The wear is an issue. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow, but if I wasn't testing the ball, it would go straight to the inside putting mat ball collection I have. It looks like it's been through hell. To be fair, I did hit a branch and sprinkler head off a drive, but the amount of wear is pretty bad. I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker, but it is a legit concern and I echo the comments before about durability issues.

In summation: the ball is perfect for someone whose looking for another club of distance and is struggling off the tee. It's also great for bump and run players or those who don't need to stop the ball on a dime. I'll be back playing this weekend, so I'll try to have more.

After about 2 weeks of rain and being on vacation, finally able to get out and play 18 today.

Testing the FG Tour

Previously played Callaway Chrome Soft and Bridgestone E5

The good:  Driver distance.  I hit 2 of my longest drives ever today (measured w/ gps), and they weren't on big swings.   Driver wise, I was getting a good 5 -10 yds more distance than I had been previously.  Obviously, other things can go into this.  But I seemed to be getting a lot of roll out with these.  I would say side spin (aka, my slice), was about the same

The same:  I would say greenside and iron spin was about the same (as I would expect) to my chrome soft and E5's.   Got the ball the check up good on a couple chips, and brought a few iron shots back just a bit hitting from the fairway.

The bad:  These balls seem to wear really quickly.  Trying to attach a pic or two, after 4-5 holes, and not hitting a tree or cartpath, I was seeing significant scarring on the ball.

Nice review your Honor. I lived in Indiana for 11 years, 5 of those in Fort Wayne. I've lived in a lot of places. Lots of people are envious of where I live now but I will tell you that of all the places that I have lived the rural areas outside of the Fort were my favorite.

So where do you usually play? I know there are several new courses in the area. As a local pastor and Sem student there were several courses that I could play for free. Just reading about roll out got my juices flowing. We don't see much of that here. It took me nine holes to adjust to it the last time that I played in Indiana.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

So I officially ran out of MGS test balls...well sort of. I have one left, but I'm keeping it to remember the fact I tested. Plus I bought another dozen online that ship Monday and have no plans to play 4 days in a row.  I got another 7 holes with the FG tour yesterday so here's some thoughts: 

Officially I'd like to correct the statement about how it scuffs easily and is more fragile than the Titelist. After a good wash, there wasn't as much damage as I originally thought. I'm thinking I did a bit of confirmation bias, where I was looking for damage and any speck on the ball was proof it would get damaged easily. It was scuffed in one spot, but not as bad as I thought, additionally the ball was stained from the grass so that must be noted. I'd say it's a little less durable than the ProV1x but only marginally.

I did get a lot of spin on a few shots. The wind was once again howling and my driver was once again wild. The ball did a great job staying in play and is definitely a gamer in the wind. I actually did get a few shots with a ton of spin on them and they did manage to stop after one or two big hops. the difference between that and the Prov1x is probably a hop or roughly 5-10of rollout from 20-30 yards. The bridgestones B300S on the other hand are about 15-20 feet of runout.

Other than that, I'm still enjoying playing the FG Tours, but prefer the feel of the Titelist as well as the extra spin around the greens. The FG Tour would have been a great ball for me 2-3 years ago when I transitioned from the E6 to a urethane ball.

Nice review your Honor. I lived in Indiana for 11 years, 5 of those in Fort Wayne. I've lived in a lot of places. Lots of people are envious of where I live now but I will tell you that of all the places that I have lived the rural areas outside of the Fort were my favorite.

So where do you usually play? I know there are several new courses in the area. As a local pastor and Sem student there were several courses that I could play for free. Just reading about roll out got my juices flowing. We don't see much of that here. It took me nine holes to adjust to it the last time that I played in Indiana.

Sorry, haven't been on for a few days......I play everywhere around here, usually get a golf card at the beginning of the year that gives me 10 free rounds (you pay for the cart) and that keeps it fun.  My favorite is probably Cherry Hill, has an island green par 3 that is cool.  How long ago did you live here?

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

After about 2 weeks of rain and being on vacation, finally able to get out and play 18 today.

Testing the FG Tour

Previously played Callaway Chrome Soft and Bridgestone E5

The good:  Driver distance.  I hit 2 of my longest drives ever today (measured w/ gps), and they weren't on big swings.   Driver wise, I was getting a good 5 -10 yds more distance than I had been previously.  Obviously, other things can go into this.  But I seemed to be getting a lot of roll out with these.  I would say side spin (aka, my slice), was about the same

The same:  I would say greenside and iron spin was about the same (as I would expect) to my chrome soft and E5's.   Got the ball the check up good on a couple chips, and brought a few iron shots back just a bit hitting from the fairway.

The bad:  These balls seem to wear really quickly.  Trying to attach a pic or two, after 4-5 holes, and not hitting a tree or cartpath, I was seeing significant scarring on the ball.  

I also noticed the wear on the balls in my testing of the FG Tour. In a way I'm glad I wasn't the only one but then again it would have been nice for me to have received a bad box of balls and know that they actually do hold up. I really liked the ball and definitely could see myself playing them but I'm not sure since they do wear quickly. I mainly play a course that requires a lot of wedge play and I'm pretty sure that's what really tears the cover of the ball up. I would 100% switch to these balls if the cover lasted an entire round. I applaud Wilson on the strides they are making in this field. Hopefully the next generation of the FG Tour is slightly more durable, and if it is you might not see me playing anything else

Driver = Cobra Fly-Z + 10 degree w/ Aldila RIP Phenom Shaft

3-Wood = Cobra Fly-Z + 14.5 degree

3-Iron = Ping iBlade w/ Ping Standard Graphite Shaft

4-PW = Ping iBlade w/ Project X Rifle Shafts

50 degree = Titleist SM5

54 degree = Titleist SM5

58 degree = Titleist SM5

Hopefully, I'll get a couple pics up of the DuoSpins after 4 rounds of golf.....still very playable, most of the "For MGS Test Only" imprint is gone.  

I'm playing 18 holes tomorrow and I will use them again and hopefully get some better results as far as durability

Driver = Cobra Fly-Z + 10 degree w/ Aldila RIP Phenom Shaft

3-Wood = Cobra Fly-Z + 14.5 degree

3-Iron = Ping iBlade w/ Ping Standard Graphite Shaft

4-PW = Ping iBlade w/ Project X Rifle Shafts

50 degree = Titleist SM5

54 degree = Titleist SM5

58 degree = Titleist SM5

So finally got out for a round yesterday, my first one with the FG Tour. 

A little back story, I've only played 3-4 times in the last 3 months or so.  Yesterday was my 2nd round in two months so I was expecting a little rust.  I struck the ball so-so but scored very well (which was aided by a eagle-birdie start, I know I know, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then).  Anyways, on to the review

Wedges/Short Game

Balls tested...

- FG Tour

- Lethal

- ProV1 (2015 model)

- Srixon Z-Star (newest model)

Pitches/Chips/Half Wedges/3/4 Wedges (60yds and in)

Performance

I am not a super high spin player.  I think a lot of it has to do with the greens I play in Southern Indiana as when the ball lands the greens have a tendency to take spin out of the ball as they are usually soft from being heavily watered.  

So besides the sound/feel which I will discuss later, all balls performed how I would expect them to on these shots.  When I wanted them to roll out they did.  When I wanted to hit a short low trajectory high spinner, they did.  One/Two hops and a little roll out, check.  

In all honesty, I would play any one of the above balls for my 60 yds and in shot.  The Wilson Staff didn't stand out in a negative or positive way.  It was easily on par with the other three balls, which to me speaks to how good the ball is (especially since the ProV1 is the gold standard for balls).

Sound/Feel

Here is where the biggest difference occurred for me that I think would push someone one way or the other.  On shots 60 yds and in, the sound feel of all four balls varied.  The FG Tour has a soft muted sound/feel (think original Penta Tp), the ProV1 was clicky sounding but felt med-firm when struck, and the Lethal and Z Star fit somewhere in the middle.  For short game the Penta TP is my all time favorite ball but it lacked in other areas (you'll see in my future posts this is not the case for the FG Tour).  So it is easy for me to say that in this area of my game the FG Tour was the winner.  However, this is not to say it performed better as was mentioned above, just a personal preference on the subjective characteristics of the ball.

Full Wedges (80-125 yds)

Performance

Usually my full wedge is hop and stop.  It's hard to hit four balls from the same spot when playing a real round so usually it was two balls for one shot, another two the next, and so on.  I did manage to hit each ball against the FG Tour as well as against each other in this one on one comparison.  In the end, all balls performed similarly for me and from a performance standpoint, I'd game any one of them.

Sound/Feel

For full wedge shots, the sound/feel gap starts to close.  However, the FG Tour is still noticeably softer feeling and more muted sounding.  The ProV1 still has a louder crisper sound and feels firmer.  The Z Star and Lethal fit in between.  However as mentioned above the difference is much closer than it was for shots 60yds and in.  I actually prefer the other 3 balls here over the FG Tour.  Not to say the FG Tour is bad cause it's not, and I'd game it in a heart beat.  Just a personal preference of mine.

Partial shots and pitching chipping I'd rate the FG Tour a 9.5/10.

For full shots with wedges I'd rate the FG Tour 8.5/10.

Srixon Z565 9.5* Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x

Cobra F7 13.5* Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Tour Blue 85x

Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

Thanks Casey,  on shots 60 yds and in, feel is the name of the game.

For the guys that tested the DUO.  Did you feel that the ball felt "bouncy" with chipping when it came off the face?  

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

The Duo Spin was soft off the clubface and did not feel "bouncy".

I shot a 43/41=84 today using the Wilson Staff Duo Spin. My drives were so so, but the approach shots and chips were absolutely spot on! I threw the ball to the hole all day and it would hit and stop. The approach shots with my mid irons were spot on...the feel was like putting a knife thru warm butter!

I've now played a couple of rounds with the duo and can't say I was blown away. Not that it's a bad ball, but for me it's not any better than the Callaway super soft.

I'm playing tomorrow and will use the duo but otherwise I'll go back to the Callaway until I get some Wilson 50's.

The duo stays straight off the tee though, which I liked.

Didn't want to write a full review, but I played with Casey and gamed the FG Tour for a few holes last week.  He was wanting to hear my thoughts on them so I thought I would share a little bit about how I thought they played. 

I currently play the TM Lethals, which are a solid all around ball, but not my favorite ball by any means, so I am always interested in what else is out there. 

As for the FG Tours, I played them for a few holes and hit multiple balls from different distances with a few drives mixed in.  To be honest, I really liked the balls.  They were longer than my Lethals off the tee.  I leave myself a lot of shots around the green that require me to get up and down and the FGs had a great feel in that area, didn't feel jumpy off the face (in a good way).  Loved the way they rolled on the greens, just had a nice soft feel to them.   One question mark I have is durability, not that I had any issues with these, but I tried Wilson's similar balls a few years back and they chewed pretty easy.   

Here is the downside for me, the price.  I like them, but would I spend $45 on a dozen?  Probably not.  I just don't see me buying these over ProV1x if they are the same price.  Now if these were $30/dozen, heck yeah I would for sure be in! 

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

Didn't want to write a full review, but I played with Casey and gamed the FG Tour for a few holes last week.  He was wanting to hear my thoughts on them so I thought I would share a little bit about how I thought they played. 

I currently play the TM Lethals, which are a solid all around ball, but not my favorite ball by any means, so I am always interested in what else is out there. 

As for the FG Tours, I played them for a few holes and hit multiple balls from different distances with a few drives mixed in.  To be honest, I really liked the balls.  They were longer than my Lethals off the tee.  I leave myself a lot of shots around the green that require me to get up and down and the FGs had a great feel in that area, didn't feel jumpy off the face (in a good way).  Loved the way they rolled on the greens, just had a nice soft feel to them.   One question mark I have is durability, not that I had any issues with these, but I tried Wilson's similar balls a few years back and they chewed pretty easy.   

Here is the downside for me, the price.  I like them, but would I spend $45 on a dozen?  Probably not.  I just don't see me buying these over ProV1x if they are the same price.  Now if these were $30/dozen, heck yeah I would for sure be in! 

Have to agree with this. For me the Pro V1x is the better ball for my game. Wilsons at 35 would make me consider gaming them.

Srixon Z565 9.5* Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x

Cobra F7 13.5* Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Tour Blue 85x

Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

I've played two more rounds since my last post. Here are my short answer results:

R6 VS SRIXON Q STAR

WDS seemed to be a little longer & straighter for me

R7 VS CALLAWAY HEX CONTROL

WDS had much softer feel, but seemed a bit shorter

As an added note, I still have 7 of the 12 balls I was sent. Six are new, one used for partial round, 3 lost, & 2 damaged by hitting cart paths, etc.

Archived