TESTERS WANTED! ×

MEMBER TESTING! Wilson Staff 2015 Golf Ball Review

Well the baby came on Monday and we got home yesterday evening so I have a bit of time while she is sleeping to write a review on Looks/Durability of the ball.

Balls Tested

Wilson Staff FG Tour

Taylormade Lethal (current gamer)

Titleist ProV1 (2015)

Srixon Z Star (2015)

Looks

Font

The FG Tour has an attractive font and number on the ball.  Nothing too extravagant or too boring.  I know this is the determining factor for so many when they choose what ball to use.  No one likes unattractive font  :D .  

Color

The FG Tour has a nice off-white color that looks clean when new.  I would say the from the whitest to most off-white, the balls go Z Star, FG Tour, Lethal, ProV1.  With the exception of the Z Star which is noticeably more white, the other 3 balls are very close to being the same color.  To me, none of the balls have a look that makes me cringe or not want to play them.  

The pics don't show exactly what I described above in terms of color.  I'll try and get outside to take some pics that more accurately represent what I saw.  

Ball.jpgBall1.jpg

Durability

Normal Play

Through the course of a normal round, the ball didn't exhibit any more wear tear than any of the other 3 balls.  

Staining

I would say compared to a Lethal that I have at least 1 round on, the FG Tour with 1 round had a little more staining/discoloration of the ball but nothing that I would consider extreme.

Ball2.jpgBall4.jpg

Cart Path/Scuff

I was fortunate enough to cart path the FG Tour during my round (never thought I'd say those words) so I can give a review on how it handled it.  Cart Path was normal asphalt.  The scuff had some discoloration to it but is fairly smooth when running my finger over it.  There are some minor scuffing feeling to it, but nothing that isn't expected.

Ball3.jpg

I would say that it is on par for my expectations of cover durability and fits right in with the other 3 balls that are being tested.

Overall Durability/Color I'd give it a 9/10, which is an excellent rating for me.  In order to get a 10 it better knock my socks off and dang near find it's own way to the hole B) .

Srixon Z565 9.5* Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x

Cobra F7 13.5* Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Tour Blue 85x

Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the baby came on Monday and we got home yesterday evening so I have a bit of time while she is sleeping to write a review on Looks/Durability of the ball.

Whoah - big news!!!  Congrats on the new arrival.  Name, specs - let's hear it!!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Ok this will be the only fatherly brag as I don't want to clutter up the FG Tour reviews. But I will try and keep the brag in review thread fashion

Characteristics

Baby Name: Nora Mae Thompson

We like old timey type names so the finalist were - Nora, Hattie, and Hazel. We finally settled on Nora as I liked the other two but they just didn't have the same ring. This is purely subjective and other reviewers might feel differently

Date/Time of Birth: Monday, July 20, 2015 at 5:48 am

There are 7 days in a week with the only thing that differentiates them being name. All have the same amount of time in them but I just feel like Monday has always suited me. Do I have a case of the Mondays??? Darn right!!!

Weight: 7lbs 12oz

I'll just leave it at this, I was a bigger baby (9lb 2oz) as were my two brothers (9lb 14oz and 9lb 2oz). I didn't care about weight, but my wife was extremely happy we stayed under the 8lb mark!!

Length 20"

I have no idea what a normal length is, so I'm just going to assume this is as good as it gets.

Performance

Eating

She is eating on a regular basis besides the 2nd night which was cluster feeding time. I slept through most of it since I don't have the requisite characteristics to provide help in this area, but the wife said it was a long and tiresome night.

Pooping

This is where I do provide the requisite characteristics to step in and help. She is a normal pooper with the exception being the first night in which she thought it was necessary to drop dookie almost every hour from 9 pm to 5 am. This, was a tiresome night for me.

Sleeping

To date, sleeping has been great and on a fairly regular basis with the exceptions being mentioned above.

She is a country music fan as I set it to Eric Church station on Pandora and that usually settles her down.

Long walks (mostly being carried), napping, and screaming between 1-3 am.

Future Predictions

2036 NCAA Women's Golfer of the Year

Overall I'd rate Nora as a solid 10/10

image.jpg

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

Nice review

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Going to get another round in this afternoon so I will elaborate more tomorrow.  Just wanted to get some initial impressions down.

Ball Tested - FG Tour

Other balls tested

Taylormade Lethal

Srixon Z Star (2015)

Titleist ProV1 (2015)

DRIVER

Distance

This might have just been a good day for me, but distance off the tee was very good.  I had my longest drives on 3/10 driver holes at my course.  By no means were they 30+ yds but I mean a good 10 yds further than my previous longest drives on the holes.  

Update - Driver distance is very good with the FG Tour.  I'd put it in the same class as the 3 balls mentioned above.  All are great balls and probably no more than 5 yds difference between them.

Feel

Ball feels good off the face and a little more muted than the other balls, but not as soft feeling when compared to wedges and irons (which for me is a good thing).

Update - Really like the feel of this ball off the driver.  Gives good audible feedback.  Again, it's on par with the other three balls.

Spin

I didn't have any launch monitors but I hit into wind that was across, with, and against.  The ball performed very well and didn't seem to have much impact by the wind.  I was very impressed by this.

Update - I have to echo my sentiments above.  This ball performs very well in windy conditions

Overall, I'd give the ball a 9/10 for Driver perfomance.  The ball has slowly grown on me and I'd definitely play it full time.

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

Going to get another round in this afternoon so I will elaborate more tomorrow.  Just wanted to get some initial impressions down.

DRIVER

Distance

This might have just been a good day for me, but distance off the tee was very good.  I had my longest drives on 3/10 driver holes at my course.  By no means were they 30+ yds but I mean a good 10 yds further than my previous longest drives on the holes.  

Feel

Ball feels good off the face and a little more muted off the face than other balls, but not as soft feeling off the face compared to the wedges and irons (which for me is a good thing).

Spin

I didn't have any launch monitors but I hit into wind that was across, with, and against.  The ball performed very well and didn't seem to have much impact by the wind.  I was very impressed by this.

But what Ball are you testing?  You should state that each time you post.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last posting, I've played 3 rounds comparing the WDS to the following:

R8 VS SRIXON SOFT FEEL

WDS seemed a bit longer off the tee, for me. Also, WDS cover seemed more durable and scuff resistant.

R9 VS NIKE PD SOFT

WDS seemed a bit shorter off the tee, for me, but straighter. WDS was much more scuff resistant than PD SOFT.

R10 VS CALLAWAY CHROME SOFT

WDS wasn't as long of the tee, but in all other aspects was comparable, except cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give an overall review of the the Wilson FG Tour.  As stated before I compared it as much as I could against Taylormade Lethal, Titleist ProV1 (2015), and Srixon Z-Star (2015).

The FG Tour held it's own against all three of the above mentioned balls and overall I was extremely impressed.  Currently I play the Taylormade Lethal, but in a heartbeat would play the FG Tour over the Lethal.  Now with that being said, I could play any of the above four balls on a day to day basis.

I think if people gave the FG Tour a chance, they'd be impressed.  However I think with the competition in the premium ball market, $44 a dozen puts the FG Tour in tough competition and probably causes it to get overlooked.  I won't pay $44 a dozen for any ball, but I think the FG Tour could control the urethane cover $35 a dozen ball market.

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

Hands down my biggest issue with the ball is the price. The ball itself to me is a poor man's pro v1x. It's a great little ball but I spin it a bit less around the green, but on the other hand I do gain about 5 yards off the tee. It's a tradeoff no doubt.

Wanted to give an overall review of the the Wilson FG Tour.  As stated before I compared it as much as I could against Taylormade Lethal, Titleist ProV1 (2015), and Srixon Z-Star (2015).

The FG Tour held it's own against all three of the above mentioned balls and overall I was extremely impressed.  Currently I play the Taylormade Lethal, but in a heartbeat would play the FG Tour over the Lethal.  Now with that being said, I could play any of the above four balls on a day to day basis.

I think if people gave the FG Tour a chance, they'd be impressed.  However I think with the competition in the premium ball market, $44 a dozen puts the FG Tour in tough competition and probably causes it to get overlooked.  I won't pay $44 a dozen for any ball, but I think the FG Tour could control the urethane cover $35 a dozen ball market.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I've tried reading through this and I've probably missed it but how were the balls selected for the different testers? Swing speed, handicap or what? The reason I ask is because I'm interested in the Duo Spin even though I am not necessarily its target audience. It seems to be a very good ball from what I've read so far.

Great reviews everyone!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Back at the judge I happened to check through and noticed your reply to me - this is sort of old school - once a month - we should try chess by mail! :)

I lived in and around Fort Wayne from 89-2000.  I went to Concordia Seminary and then served a little country church north and west of town after graduation.  I played Cherry Hills a couple of times after it opened, very nice track.  When I was a Sem, student I could play Riverbend for free on a certain day of the week (I forget which day now.)  If ever they would fix that course up it couple be really something (don't even know if it's still there.)  Once I was a Pastor I could play any course in town that was owned by the Kelly's, there was one on the South side of town that I loved but I believe it's either closed or has lost some holes to the airport.  It hosted a Hogan Tour event (now web.com) back in the mid 90's. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Opened my last sleeve of DuoSpins today.....shot an 89 at The Babe Zaharias GC in Tampa....had one Birdie, but turned three other Birdie putts into bogies. The greens were very shaggy and slow......just could not get the ball to the hole. Overall, the DuoSpin performed well....had several approach shots drop gently to the green and stop. I still think it's a good ball to play if $27/dozen is your price range.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I wrote last year sometime about the FG Tour. I bought some at Academy one day after reading a review somewhere. I found the ball to be an excellent performer. At the time the store had them marked down on a close-out and I bought 2 dozen for less than $20 each I recall.. Maybe even lower. Anyway....

As far as my game is concerned I have found that I can play equally well with any premium ball. Number one for me is a urethane cover. I notice that more than any other characteristic in a modern ball. Regardless if it's a 3 or 4 piece. Even a two piece ball (Bridgestone E5) as long as the cover is urethane.

I switch around from time to time. Here is the starting lineup of my current my favorites: Callaway Chrome Soft, MG Tour C4, Titleist PV1, Bridgestone E5.

(I still have a dozen of the FG Tour but haven't played them in a while.) [i also just received a dozen of the Callaway Chrome Speed that MG has been selling but haven't hit one yet.]

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I wrote last year sometime about the FG Tour. I bought some at Academy one day after reading a review somewhere. I found the ball to be an excellent performer. At the time the store had them marked down on a close-out and I bought 2 dozen for less than $20 each I recall.. Maybe even lower. Anyway....

As far as my game is concerned I have found that I can play equally well with any premium ball. Number one for me is a urethane cover. I notice that more than any other characteristic in a modern ball. Regardless if it's a 3 or 4 piece. Even a two piece ball (Bridgestone E5) as long as the cover is urethane.

I switch around from time to time. Here is the starting lineup of my current my favorites: Callaway Chrome Soft, MG Tour C4, Titleist PV1, Bridgestone E5.

(I still have a dozen of the FG Tour but haven't played them in a while.) [i also just received a dozen of the Callaway Chrome Speed that MG has been selling but haven't hit one yet.]

Agreed Urethane cover is key. My biggest issue is now around the greens, I'm trying to hit shots closer and I don't produce a ton of spin. Problem is with the driver I tend to struggle with a high spin ball so need best of both worlds.

Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright

I've played most of my career in Texas. Depending on what part of Texas the wind can be an issue at times. In general I typically experience varying 5,10-15 mph breezes... wind most of the time. I tend to hit most of my shots on a lower trajectory. Not sure if that's because of playing in breezy conditions mostly or not. Perhaps. It's just the way I hit the ball. I've personally never noticed a certain ball ballooning on me due to spin/wind effect. I hit all shots mostly on a mid-height trajectory day in and day out. Most fairways in Texas are generally hard and fast Bermuda surfaces.Sure, I can produce a higher or lower ball flight when necessary with any top quality ball. Additionally I feel I have much more control with a lower shot trajectory.

Around the greens I've never been a hard spinner of the ball. I prefer to chip and run keeping the ball low. My bottom line is I like a top quality ball that feels good. If it's got that I can play anywhere all day.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've played most of my career in Texas. Depending on what part of Texas the wind can be an issue at times. In general I typically experience varying 5,10-15 mph breezes... wind most of the time. I tend to hit most of my shots on a lower trajectory. Not sure if that's because of playing in breezy conditions mostly or not. Perhaps. It's just the way I hit the ball. I've personally never noticed a certain ball ballooning on me due to spin/wind effect. I hit all shots mostly on a mid-height trajectory day in and day out. Most fairways in Texas are generally hard and fast Bermuda surfaces.Sure, I can produce a higher or lower ball flight when necessary with any top quality ball. Additionally I feel I have much more control with a lower shot trajectory.

Around the greens I've never been a hard spinner of the ball. I prefer to chip and run keeping the ball low. My bottom line is I like a top quality ball that feels good. If it's got that I can play anywhere all day.

Sounds like me... except for the Texas part and Bermuda!  :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give another follow-up on the Wilson FG Tour.  Played 18 yesterday and switched between this and a Taylormade Lethal.  Can't stress enough how good of a ball it is.  They were on a website a couple weeks ago for $26 a dozen with a coupon code and I almost bought 6 dozen even though I still have 14 dozen Lethals.  

If you get a chance I would highly recommend trying this ball.

If you have any questions shoot them my way and I will be happy to respond.

Vokey SM6 50, 54. 58

• 2 weeks later...

I opened my last sleeve of Duos Wednesday. I now find that I am getting more distance with them. I hit several drives about 250 yds, which for me is great. My iron shots were going about a half club farther. They still would not sit and stop on the green though. 

I shot 86  47 front and 39 back with 9 total pars. I came away with 2 Duos left. I am going to step up to the Duo Spins before I head out again and see if they spin a bit more on iron shots. I am starting to like the Wilson balls.

Joe

I've used up the last of my wilson's... and the last of the second dozen I bought. My impression is that they are a good ball if you're looking to get a ball that can do a bit of everything.

It's not a pure distance ball, but beat the ProV1x I play wtih by 5 yards or so on average. (I average 250 on a good rive which is all of 2% difference.) Sidespin wasn't an issue with this ball and felt the dispersion pattern was tighter, meaning that bad shots still stayed in play where a Prov1x would be in the scrub.

The ball with the irons and wedges is good, but not a substitue for the amount of spin I get with the Prov1x. I played the other day and hit a shot on the green and watched it release a few feet. A simiiar shot 6 holes later with a Prov1x backed up an inch or two. while it's not drastic, if you are looking to play a lot of chop and stop shots, there are better options.

Overall if you are looking to move to Urethane balls and want a bit more spin than a surelyn cover but are worried about side spin and distance, this is for you. Perhaps a few years ago it would have been my go to ball, but at this point I'm happy with the titelist.

• 2 weeks later...

Wilson Duo Spins - Logo overruns for only $19.95/dozen!

http://www.golfballs.com/Golf-Balls/Balls/Wilson-Staff-Duo-Spin-Golf-Balls.htm?p1=O&t=mailer_014751A2

Now this is a great price if you are interested in trying the Duo Spins.

Archived