TESTERS WANTED! ×

What golf books are you reading?

I don't recall seeing anything about golf books in the Forum but perhaps I've missed it. I'm not a particularly avid book reader of any kind but this one caught my eye today. And... it was free. So the story goes like this... (this is a triple play of my original intent with the post)

I was headed to the grocery store to grab a steak to cook in my cast iron skillet later this afternoon. Next to the grocery is a SteinMart. In my area they have by far the best selection of golf apparel. They carry many brands including Ping, Callaway, Hogan, Norman, Bolle', Bobby Jones, and many others. Great prices also. Anyway, I found a table with Hogan apparel and a stack of books. The sign said buy any Hogan item and get a free book. (see below) I didn't want any golf clothes today really so I just picked up a book to purchase. Before I headed out to the grocery I saw a mark down sale on Bolle' shorts so I went ahead and grabbed a pair. At the check out the lady said the book was only for Hogan purchases and I couldn't buy it separately. Ok.. I said I'd pass. At the end of the checkout she went ahead and put it in my sack. Pretty nice of her I thought.

I haven't read any golf books lately but this one might be interesting. I mean isn't anything about Hogan interesting? We'll see. My question to all you is what golf book are you reading? Magazines don't count by the way.

Later today I'll be pan searing a NY Strip in my cast iron skillet. And... reading my newest golf book, Ben Hogans' Magical Device.

20150628_141550.jpg

(well this sucks. I guess I don't know how to properly rotate a photo.)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Ben Hogan, An American Life

Have just started this one.....got it off Amazon for $1

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

David Pelz short game bible. Just read through slaying the tiger. I have about a dozen golf books on my shelves including instruction books (Hogan), books about golf and business, and stories about golfers and the like. I love a good golf book. My personal favorite is the one about an american caddie at St andrews. Fascinating and never boring. Read that baby while waiting on a plane in an hour or so.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Zen Golf and rereading the Little Red Book.

Driver:  :nike-small:  Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 70g Stiff

Fairway Wood: :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK 60g Stiff
Hybrids:   :nike-small: Nike Covert 2.0 Tour KK Stiff

Irons:    :taylormade-small: R-11s KBS Stiff. 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  Cleveland 588 Rotax  56*

Some no name 60* I got at Goodwill for $5

Putter::  :ping-small: MGS Ketsch Special Edition   

Ball: :bridgestone-small: :e7, normally. If not, whatever I found while looking for mine in the Tall Grass
Bag :Birdies for the Brave Org.14 Desert Camo 

Shoes : Oakley Cipher 2

Addidas Adizero One Wd

Nike Lunar Control

6 other pair "just in case"

Founder: Texas BBQ Curtain (according to Jdiddyesquire)

Favorite #TOURSAUCE Move:  signing a ball and tossing it to a non existent fan as I walk back to cart. 

First off the Tee: Presidential Hackers, Duffers, and Cheaters from Taft to Bush .  It would be interesting to see what the update for Obama would be like.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...

Finished Lowest Score Wins....really liked it.

Currently working on Every Shot Must Have a Purpose....good way to approach golf.

Also reading Feinsteins classic A Good Walk Spoiled.

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have several books that I've read over the years, and I compiled them all in one spot here.  Right now, I am re-reading and going through the exercises of Zone Golf by Kelly Sullivan Walden. 

I often will read randomly in Harvey Penick's Little Red book as well.  This is a classic!

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SLDR 460 w/Oban Devotion X-Stiff
3-Wood: Rocketballz Stage 2 w/Oban Devotion X-Stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 910 H 21 degree w/Diamana X-Stiff
Irons (3-9): Callaway X-Forged w/X-100s tipped 1/2"
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 53/11 and 59/10 w/S400s
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #7

Facebook Page

• 3 years later...

Anyone read "The Practice Manual" by Adam Young?

It's on my shortlist and from what I've read it is full of a lot of great stuff on theory rather than "hold the club this way, swing that way..."

Looks like @GolfSpy MPR has read it from the searches I've done and has posted a couple of good things.  This is how I ran across it and took a look at his website and he seems to be the type of teacher/coach/instructor I'd do well with.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Anyone read "The Practice Manual" by Adam Young?

It's on my shortlist and from what I've read it is full of a lot of great stuff on theory rather than "hold the club this way, swing that way..."

Looks like @GolfSpy MPR has read it from the searches I've done and has posted a couple of good things.  This is how I ran across it and took a look at his website and he seems to be the type of teacher/coach/instructor I'd do well with.

It is very, very nerdy, and it isn't about golf per se. He offers almost no instruction about the golf swing. What he does do, and what makes his book a valuable addition to any golf library, is that he goes into enormous detail in physical learning theory, explaining why it is hard for us to make changes to our golf swing and how to overcome that. He also helps focus on changes that result in actual golf improvement, rather than mere cosmetic changes to the swing.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

It is very, very nerdy, and it isn't about golf per se. He offers almost no instruction about the golf swing. What he does do, and what makes his book a valuable addition to any golf library, is that he goes into enormous detail in physical learning theory, explaining why it is hard for us to make changes to our golf swing and how to overcome that. He also helps focus on changes that result in actual golf improvement, rather than mere cosmetic changes to the swing.

Thanks Michael!  Are you a member of "The Strike Plan" ?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Thanks Michael!  Are you a member of "The Strike Plan" ?

Yep. I still have more videos to watch there, but I've been getting into the winter drills he offers there. A lot of foot spray involved. And I'm glad I've done this; immediately, it showed me that the swing tweaks I've been making have produced a very consistent toe strike. Got to get that worked out before spring.

Full WITB with pictures

The Practice Manual is on my list, but I have several books in queue and probably won't get to it until March. I am currently reading Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie which hasn't been a horrible read, but I do feel like he spends too much time repeating the same thing over and over again. His book could definitely be shorter (not that it's a very long book in the first place).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

“Afternoons with Mr. Hogan”. Fun book written by a guy that used to shag balls for Ben Hogan and became friends with him in the 1960’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Here's a complete list of all the golf books I plan to read in 2019:

• Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie
  • The Practice Manual by Adam Young
  • Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible by Dave Pelz
  • The Putting Prescription by Dr. Craig L. Farnsworth
  • Zen Golf by Joseph Parent
  • Harvey Penick's Little Red Book by Harvey Penick
  • Ben Hogan's Five Lessons by Ben Hogan

I have several other books on my list to read as well. Goal is 24 books in 2019.

One that I can recommend highly: Tommy's Honor. I know there's a movie version that recently came out, but the book is very, very good. I came to deeply admire Old Tom Morris through reading this.

Full WITB with pictures

Mike Bender’s swing book.
IMG_7876.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Oh, I also have three of Dr. Bob Rotella's books on audible and a couple miscellaneous books on Amazon Kindle. The best of those is probably Play Strategic Golf by Eric Jones. If you need help learning how to play from the green back to the tee, this is a good one to read.

Oh man, I have a bunch that I haven't gotten through... And I can't say I'm waiting for retirement to start working through them! (..been retired 5 yrs now...)

Anyway, going through Tom Watson's "Getting Up & Down" and then next up will be James Sieckmann's "Your Short Game Solution".

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I just finished Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible a few months ago. Had some solid info on wedge distances even if I think he takes some of his ideas to the extreme. 

Just bought "Walking with Jack" and "Bunker Play with Gary Player". The latter has some beautiful pictures and would look great on a coffee table but I've not had time to dig into either of these books. Grabbed "Butch Harmon's Playing Lessons" a few months ago too. I always gravitate to the sports section of our local used book store... 😂

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

Just finished a great book on managing your golf expectations. It is called Easier Said Than Done by Dr. Rick Jensen. I highly recommend it to anyone who plays this crazy game called golf. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Alice Cooper, Golf Monster. Very informative on how you can play golf if you also happen to be a world famous musician 😉

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 2 months later...

Better faster - the modern golfers blueprint to getting more from less. 

It has an excellent system for evaluating your weaknesses in the areas of ball striking, chipping, and putting. It provides numerous Drills and games in each 3 areas as well as a scoring system to guide you on when to increase difficulty or change Drills. Great for people that want to improve without lessons to accurately assess their game. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

My Good Books:

Search For The Perfect Swing - Cochran & Stobbs  - Best book I've read regarding the science of the golf swing (although it contains some errors in their defined wrist actions). Most of the content is still applicable today even though we have high tech 3D systems.

How to Become A Complete Golfer - Toski & Flick - Got lots of practice drills in this book

Secrets Of Owning Your Swing - Edward A Tischler - How body structure influences the mechanics of your golf stroke . I haven't bought his new books yet which provide tests to identify your unique biomechanical pattern for performing the golf swing  (dependent upon whether you are a 'Thrower', 'Hitter' or 'Swinger).

The Swing Factory - Sieghart , Gould & Wilkinson  - Based on the Leslie King swing method - the body does not propel the arms but reacts to the swinging arms (similar to Toski and Flick opinions)

Play Better Golf - Beverley Lewis - Best practical book on 'how' to execute the long and short game with fantastic illustrations.

Swing Like A Pro - Dr Ralph Mann - Found commonalities on a study of the swing of many tour golfers - then created a 3D pro model (that could be tweaked for different body types )  performing their  'perfect' swings.

My Bad Books:

The Stack And Tilt Swing  - Bennett & Plumber - Hurt my back trying this method so I hate it!!!

The Single Plane Golf Swing - Todd Graves  - just a load of vague confusing instructions that make no logical sense at all. Nice pictures and comments about Moe Norman

Other Books :

The Golf Secret - Dr H A Murray  - anatomical explanation of the golf swing (dated 1976)

The Secret Of Golf - George Peper - History of different opinions (from 376 different teachers/golfers/theorists ) regarding golf instruction 

Just ordered”Extraordinary Golf” after mention of it by another Spy in different thread. Looking forward to it.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

12 hours ago, deejaid said:

Just ordered”Extraordinary Golf” after mention of it by another Spy in different thread. Looking forward to it.

I am rereading Extraordinary Putting, by Fred Shoemaker.  It one way, it is a follow up book to Extraordinary Golf as it explores the concepts in the first book and expands upon them.  While the second book is about putting, it applies to the entire golf game.  If the approach in Extraordinary Golf resonates with you, be sure to read Extraordinary Putting as well.   

Edited by alfriday101

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

This book cover's all the "basics" of the golf swing. I thought I had the basics down until reading this book, I then realized that I had several huge flaws in my setup and swing. This book is great to reiterate the basics. It has me playing the best golf of my life. I would recommend this book to anyone who maybe once took lessons when getting started and may need a refresher to knock out some bad habits that may have been developed over time. 

Just finished Mark Broadie's Every Shot Counts. Found it really insightful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Looking for a copy of "The Practice Manual" by Adam Young if anyone has a copy they want to sell.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0