Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
PlaidJacket

What golf books are you reading?

I don't recall seeing anything about golf books in the Forum but perhaps I've missed it. I'm not a particularly avid book reader of any kind but this one caught my eye today. And... it was free. So the story goes like this... (this is a triple play of my original intent with the post)

I was headed to the grocery store to grab a steak to cook in my cast iron skillet later this afternoon. Next to the grocery is a SteinMart. In my area they have by far the best selection of golf apparel. They carry many brands including Ping, Callaway, Hogan, Norman, Bolle', Bobby Jones, and many others. Great prices also. Anyway, I found a table with Hogan apparel and a stack of books. The sign said buy any Hogan item and get a free book. (see below) I didn't want any golf clothes today really so I just picked up a book to purchase. Before I headed out to the grocery I saw a mark down sale on Bolle' shorts so I went ahead and grabbed a pair. At the check out the lady said the book was only for Hogan purchases and I couldn't buy it separately. Ok.. I said I'd pass. At the end of the checkout she went ahead and put it in my sack. Pretty nice of her I thought.

I haven't read any golf books lately but this one might be interesting. I mean isn't anything about Hogan interesting? We'll see. My question to all you is what golf book are you reading? Magazines don't count by the way.

Later today I'll be pan searing a NY Strip in my cast iron skillet. And... reading my newest golf book, Ben Hogans' Magical Device.

20150628_141550.jpg

(well this sucks. I guess I don't know how to properly rotate a photo.)

• Like 1

David Pelz short game bible. Just read through slaying the tiger. I have about a dozen golf books on my shelves including instruction books (Hogan), books about golf and business, and stories about golfers and the like. I love a good golf book. My personal favorite is the one about an american caddie at St andrews. Fascinating and never boring. Read that baby while waiting on a plane in an hour or so.

First off the Tee: Presidential Hackers, Duffers, and Cheaters from Taft to Bush .  It would be interesting to see what the update for Obama would be like.

Finished Lowest Score Wins....really liked it.

Currently working on Every Shot Must Have a Purpose....good way to approach golf.

Also reading Feinsteins classic A Good Walk Spoiled.

Anyone read "The Practice Manual" by Adam Young?

It's on my shortlist and from what I've read it is full of a lot of great stuff on theory rather than "hold the club this way, swing that way..."

Looks like @GolfSpy MPR has read it from the searches I've done and has posted a couple of good things.  This is how I ran across it and took a look at his website and he seems to be the type of teacher/coach/instructor I'd do well with.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Anyone read "The Practice Manual" by Adam Young?

It's on my shortlist and from what I've read it is full of a lot of great stuff on theory rather than "hold the club this way, swing that way..."

Looks like @GolfSpy MPR has read it from the searches I've done and has posted a couple of good things.  This is how I ran across it and took a look at his website and he seems to be the type of teacher/coach/instructor I'd do well with.

It is very, very nerdy, and it isn't about golf per se. He offers almost no instruction about the golf swing. What he does do, and what makes his book a valuable addition to any golf library, is that he goes into enormous detail in physical learning theory, explaining why it is hard for us to make changes to our golf swing and how to overcome that. He also helps focus on changes that result in actual golf improvement, rather than mere cosmetic changes to the swing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

It is very, very nerdy, and it isn't about golf per se. He offers almost no instruction about the golf swing. What he does do, and what makes his book a valuable addition to any golf library, is that he goes into enormous detail in physical learning theory, explaining why it is hard for us to make changes to our golf swing and how to overcome that. He also helps focus on changes that result in actual golf improvement, rather than mere cosmetic changes to the swing.

Thanks Michael!  Are you a member of "The Strike Plan" ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Thanks Michael!  Are you a member of "The Strike Plan" ?

Yep. I still have more videos to watch there, but I've been getting into the winter drills he offers there. A lot of foot spray involved. And I'm glad I've done this; immediately, it showed me that the swing tweaks I've been making have produced a very consistent toe strike. Got to get that worked out before spring.

• Like 1

The Practice Manual is on my list, but I have several books in queue and probably won't get to it until March. I am currently reading Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie which hasn't been a horrible read, but I do feel like he spends too much time repeating the same thing over and over again. His book could definitely be shorter (not that it's a very long book in the first place).

• Like 2

“Afternoons with Mr. Hogan”. Fun book written by a guy that used to shag balls for Ben Hogan and became friends with him in the 1960’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Here's a complete list of all the golf books I plan to read in 2019:

• Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie
  • The Practice Manual by Adam Young
  • Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible by Dave Pelz
  • The Putting Prescription by Dr. Craig L. Farnsworth
  • Zen Golf by Joseph Parent
  • Harvey Penick's Little Red Book by Harvey Penick
  • Ben Hogan's Five Lessons by Ben Hogan

I have several other books on my list to read as well. Goal is 24 books in 2019.

• Like 3

One that I can recommend highly: Tommy's Honor. I know there's a movie version that recently came out, but the book is very, very good. I came to deeply admire Old Tom Morris through reading this.

• Like 2

Oh, I also have three of Dr. Bob Rotella's books on audible and a couple miscellaneous books on Amazon Kindle. The best of those is probably Play Strategic Golf by Eric Jones. If you need help learning how to play from the green back to the tee, this is a good one to read.

• Like 1

Oh man, I have a bunch that I haven't gotten through... And I can't say I'm waiting for retirement to start working through them! (..been retired 5 yrs now...)

Anyway, going through Tom Watson's "Getting Up & Down" and then next up will be James Sieckmann's "Your Short Game Solution".