TESTERS WANTED! ×

What golf books are you reading?

Currently listening to Golf: The Art of the Mental Game by Joseph Parent. Just finished Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect. This is coinciding with me completely re-learning how to swing (been playing terribly for years and I'm finally committed to trying to play well)

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

I am currently reading Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie.  I like books that challenge conventional wisdom, get you thinking, and have some data to back up their assertions.  Also read a couple of Pia Nilsson's books recently:  "Be A Player" and "Play Your Best Golf Now".  I really enjoyed her Think Box, Play Box concepts.

On my to read list are Ben Hogan's Five Lessons because somehow I've never read this.  My library has a couple of Bobby Jones books I might read as well.

• 1 month later...

Hard-hitting piece in the most recent Golf World magazine.  I think I will read Ken's book after reading this.  Warning; this article gets pretty messed up!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ken-green-haunted-for-years-by-a-devastating-secret

Heal your soul and be happy Mr. Green!  

15 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Hard-hitting piece in the most recent Golf World magazine.  I think I will read Ken's book after reading this.  Warning; this article gets pretty messed up!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ken-green-haunted-for-years-by-a-devastating-secret

Heal your soul and be happy Mr. Green!  

I have no words after reading that. Great share.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Tough read but one I'm glad I stumbled upon.

Me too. I also read the article about his RV accident which seems all the more crazy knowing the context of his childhood. People may not consider him a role model for many things, but he is hands-down the best model I've seen for how to persevere through anything!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

• 6 months later...

I am currently reading "The Greatest Game Ever Played" again.  I haven't read it since 2002/2003 when it was first published.  I am fascinated by how fictional the movie adaptation was.  I know "based on a true story" in Hollywood terms means "the names are the same, the story, not so much" but this doesn't even feel like the same storyline!  I now understand perfectly why Mark Frost refuses to allow Hollywood to ruin "The Match!"

I'm reading "Anatomy of a Golf Course" by Tom Doak.  Its over 20 years old now, but it still interesting in its discussions of how an architect makes a player think, how he provides appropriate challenges for different levels of players, and some of the practical considerations involved in designing and building a golf course.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 3 weeks later...

Golf My Way - Jack Nicklaus

Decided to pick it up after finding success with a few elements from Jack's swing - playing ball farther forward, rolling/lifting left foot on backswing, upright swing plane, etc. He makes it clear his preference is to play a fade which ties into a lot of the mechanics discussed in the book. So probably less useful for people who draw the ball. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

• 1 month later...

Just came across this article - https://www.golf.com/news/2020/03/18/6-golf-books-read-stuck-inside/

I think I'm going to get the Q School one. Sound interesting for a golf nerd like me.

What else are you guys reading?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I've been trying to get to the ShotScope e-books, hopefully that'll happen soon enough.  Also, I was at my brother-in-law's house yesterday, picking up a bookshelf, and came across one of Ben Hogan's books, but it wasn't offered to me, so I didn't ask for it...might have to see if I can get my hands on it at some other time. 

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I still read all 4 of Harvey Penick's books- red, green, blue, and white covers. Lookat my sig if you are surprised by that.

I also have Rotella's Golf is Not a Game of Perfect & How Champions Think.

The best new book is Every Shot Must Have a Purpose by Pia Nilsson & Lynn Marriott.

I set my copy of Five Lessons on fire.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

image.png

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Currently I focus more on the golf digest. Great articles and lighter reading. I actually learned how to hit out of traps through Golf Digest about 3 years ago and its one of the stronger more reliable aspects of my game. I am also focusing on stretching books the one below has been great in between while sitting at my desk. Highly suggest the Golf digest articles though great reads:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/become-confident-with-your-bunker-play

image.jpeg.074b989ae940c26b27c9097ec86825f4.jpeg

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Finished Lowest Score Wins and Golf my Way. Considering picking up a copy of Unconscious Putting but see that it is offered as a free e-book on amazon currently with an audible trial. Can't argue with that price! 

Does anybody have feedback on Putting out of your Mind by Bob Rotella? I am looking for something geared toward routine and mind state as opposed to mechanics. I hear the book is relatively short with a lot of stories as examples, so it seem like it could be light on actual content which would make it easy to pick up from the e-book. 

Edited by BMart519

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

On 6/28/2015 at 12:20 PM, PlaidJacket said:

I haven't read any golf books lately but this one might be interesting. I mean isn't anything about Hogan interesting? We'll see. My question to all you is what golf book are you reading? Magazines don't count by the way.

Later today I'll be pan searing a NY Strip in my cast iron skillet. And... reading my newest golf book, Ben Hogans' Magical Device.

I prefer reading instructional books when it comes to golf. I've got two entire book cases full of them, plus three stacks of books next to my bed. I'm more apt to re-read ones that I have then buy new ones, for the sake of having something new. I'd say in general I've recommend books written by those known to be some of the best players in the world (Faldo, Price, Els, Norman, Hogan, Elkington, etc), or the instructors that taught them (Butch Harmon, Rick Smith, Leadbetter, etc) over less establish people.

My favorite book and one that I am reading again right now is Nick Faldo's Golf the Winning Formula. It was published back in 1992 when Faldo was at the height of his playing career, and it's an excellent break down of all parts of playing the game. It was an eye opener the first time I read it. I was surprised that some of the things he wrote of hadn't been talked about more often by instructors, and players to that point, and even today. Once in awhile another great player or instructor might mention a few of the points lending further credence to the information, but much of the information is still a secret from those who have not had the benefit of reading the book. It details the reasons why he would setup and swing, chip, putt, etc the way he did, and pitfalls people (including pros and non-pros alike) are likely to encounter if they are instead getting in some of the positions and making movements that have at one time or another been advocated by other people playing or teaching the game.

61qTrRrZ8jL.jpg

If anyone's debatinging reading a particular instructional book, but wants a second opinion post here, and if it's one of the books in my library I'll share my thoughts on if I'd recommend it or not, and positives or negatives of it if you want that information.

PlaidJacket, the Magical Device book is not among those I've read. If you find it worthwhile let us know.

Edited by Scientific Golfer

I just finished Penick's LRB. I found it an enjoyable read. Mostly just some golf "wisdom" and gave me some things to think about. I'm definitely down with the "Take Dead Aim" mantra. It was a fun, light read. 

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

I have the Little Red Book. A fun read, but so many little anecdotes it's tough to pull a ton of usable info out of it without multiple re-reads (I think anyway). Like others, I've read the Short Game Bible by Pelz and while he's a maniac, the book is great and has helped my wedge play a ton. I've also read Mickelson's short game book (however I think the video is better) and that had a ton of fun and useful info,

I'm currently looking for a good read, maybe something in architecture. I have heard good things about "Anatomy of a Golf Course" which I know was mentioned on here. Also potentially looking into Tom Coyne's "A Course Called" series. Any recommendations for that or something similar?

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I just finished Penick's LRB. I found it an enjoyable read. Mostly just some golf "wisdom" and gave me some things to think about. I'm definitely down with the "Take Dead Aim" mantra. It was a fun, light read. 
Yesss!!! Join the team!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...

'The Little Book of Breaking 80" by Shane Jones

A pretty quick read, gets a bit repetitive. Another analysis based 'focus practice on short game' argument.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Completed Unconscious putting and putting out of your mind last weekend. Testing out looking 2 inches in front of the ball while putting. Looking at the cup was too far out of my comfort zone 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

• The Search for the Perfect Golf Club by Tom Wishon
  • Anatomy of Greatness by Brandel Chamblee
  • Any book by Harvey Penick
  • Golf My Way by Jack Nicklaus
  • TaylorMade R15 460cc w/ Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution Tour Spec R
  • TaylorMade R11 5 Wood w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.0 S
  • Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-GW w/ True Temper XP 105 S300
  • Titleist Vokey SM5 54* F Grind
  • Titleist Vokey SM5 58* M Grind
  • SeeMore Original FGP w/ SuperStroke 1.0 Flatso

Tennessee

Just read These 3 books. Nice golf stories, although the 3rd one (St.Andrews) spent a few chapters too many on back ground stuff. Overall nice reading and pretty good understanding of Golf.

Chris

17th green.jpg

agusta.jpg

St Andrews.jpg

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

• 2 weeks later...

Just read The Mindful Golfer. It was meh. I agree with TR1PTIK about the Bob Rotells books if you like the mental side. Some other good suggestions in this thread I will look into. 

Every other year I try to read Zen Golf. It is a quick read and a good way for me to get my mind right during the long MN winter's.

Earlier this year I finished Tiger Woods by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian. I thought it was a really good to get a look inside what made Tiger the way that he is. Especially given that I grew up watching him and he was the reason that I got into golf in the first place.

Just bought Adam Young's book. at 370+ pages not a quick read but very interesting as it deals with a number of things 'swing' books don't like how you learn and goal/practice setting. 

IMG_6824.JPG

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Just bought Adam Young's book. at 370+ pages not a quick read but very interesting as it deals with a number of things 'swing' books don't like how you learn and goal/practice setting. 

IMG_6824.JPG.af7310df905b5b08547fd8a092150349.JPG

Heard lots of opinions on his book. Read a lot of his blog posts and watched a couple of webinars. Let me know what you think.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

Heard lots of opinions on his book. Read a lot of his blog posts and watched a couple of webinars. Let me know what you think.

Check a pm I just sent you

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel