PlaidJacket

What golf books are you reading?

I just finished Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible a few months ago. Had some solid info on wedge distances even if I think he takes some of his ideas to the extreme. 

Just bought "Walking with Jack" and "Bunker Play with Gary Player". The latter has some beautiful pictures and would look great on a coffee table but I've not had time to dig into either of these books. Grabbed "Butch Harmon's Playing Lessons" a few months ago too. I always gravitate to the sports section of our local used book store... 😂

Just finished a great book on managing your golf expectations. It is called Easier Said Than Done by Dr. Rick Jensen. I highly recommend it to anyone who plays this crazy game called golf. 

Alice Cooper, Golf Monster. Very informative on how you can play golf if you also happen to be a world famous musician 😉

Better faster - the modern golfers blueprint to getting more from less. 

It has an excellent system for evaluating your weaknesses in the areas of ball striking, chipping, and putting. It provides numerous Drills and games in each 3 areas as well as a scoring system to guide you on when to increase difficulty or change Drills. Great for people that want to improve without lessons to accurately assess their game. 

My Good Books:

Search For The Perfect Swing - Cochran & Stobbs  - Best book I've read regarding the science of the golf swing (although it contains some errors in their defined wrist actions). Most of the content is still applicable today even though we have high tech 3D systems.

How to Become A Complete Golfer - Toski & Flick - Got lots of practice drills in this book

Secrets Of Owning Your Swing - Edward A Tischler - How body structure influences the mechanics of your golf stroke . I haven't bought his new books yet which provide tests to identify your unique biomechanical pattern for performing the golf swing  (dependent upon whether you are a 'Thrower', 'Hitter' or 'Swinger).

The Swing Factory - Sieghart , Gould & Wilkinson  - Based on the Leslie King swing method - the body does not propel the arms but reacts to the swinging arms (similar to Toski and Flick opinions)

Play Better Golf - Beverley Lewis - Best practical book on 'how' to execute the long and short game with fantastic illustrations.

Swing Like A Pro - Dr Ralph Mann - Found commonalities on a study of the swing of many tour golfers - then created a 3D pro model (that could be tweaked for different body types )  performing their  'perfect' swings.

My Bad Books:

The Stack And Tilt Swing  - Bennett & Plumber - Hurt my back trying this method so I hate it!!!

The Single Plane Golf Swing - Todd Graves  - just a load of vague confusing instructions that make no logical sense at all. Nice pictures and comments about Moe Norman

Other Books :

The Golf Secret - Dr H A Murray  - anatomical explanation of the golf swing (dated 1976)

The Secret Of Golf - George Peper - History of different opinions (from 376 different teachers/golfers/theorists ) regarding golf instruction 

• Like 1

Just ordered”Extraordinary Golf” after mention of it by another Spy in different thread. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, deejaid said:

Just ordered”Extraordinary Golf” after mention of it by another Spy in different thread. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am rereading Extraordinary Putting, by Fred Shoemaker.  It one way, it is a follow up book to Extraordinary Golf as it explores the concepts in the first book and expands upon them.  While the second book is about putting, it applies to the entire golf game.  If the approach in Extraordinary Golf resonates with you, be sure to read Extraordinary Putting as well.   

Edited by alfriday101
  • Like 2

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf

This book cover's all the "basics" of the golf swing. I thought I had the basics down until reading this book, I then realized that I had several huge flaws in my setup and swing. This book is great to reiterate the basics. It has me playing the best golf of my life. I would recommend this book to anyone who maybe once took lessons when getting started and may need a refresher to knock out some bad habits that may have been developed over time. 

Looking for a copy of "The Practice Manual" by Adam Young if anyone has a copy they want to sell.

• Like 1

Currently listening to Golf: The Art of the Mental Game by Joseph Parent. Just finished Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect. This is coinciding with me completely re-learning how to swing (been playing terribly for years and I'm finally committed to trying to play well)

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

I am currently reading Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie.  I like books that challenge conventional wisdom, get you thinking, and have some data to back up their assertions.  Also read a couple of Pia Nilsson's books recently:  "Be A Player" and "Play Your Best Golf Now".  I really enjoyed her Think Box, Play Box concepts.

On my to read list are Ben Hogan's Five Lessons because somehow I've never read this.  My library has a couple of Bobby Jones books I might read as well.

Hard-hitting piece in the most recent Golf World magazine.  I think I will read Ken's book after reading this.  Warning; this article gets pretty messed up!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ken-green-haunted-for-years-by-a-devastating-secret

Heal your soul and be happy Mr. Green!  

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Hard-hitting piece in the most recent Golf World magazine.  I think I will read Ken's book after reading this.  Warning; this article gets pretty messed up!

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/ken-green-haunted-for-years-by-a-devastating-secret

Heal your soul and be happy Mr. Green!  

I have no words after reading that. Great share.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I have no words after reading that. Great share.

Tough read but one I'm glad I stumbled upon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Tough read but one I'm glad I stumbled upon.

Me too. I also read the article about his RV accident which seems all the more crazy knowing the context of his childhood. People may not consider him a role model for many things, but he is hands-down the best model I've seen for how to persevere through anything!

• Like 1