TESTERS WANTED! ×

GPS and Laser Range Finders. Do you use them?

mizuno_lover

Not many courses out here have yardages on sprinkler heads anymore.  If they did have them at one time, some are gone from wear and tear.  It's not cost effective for courses to put them on or maintain them with nearly everyone having GPS and/or laser.  Not many courses have GPS on carts anymore either; only some high end resorts.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not many courses have GPS on carts anymore either; only some high end resorts.

Sioux Falls, SD must be the exception.  Most of the courses have GPS on their carts, even the munis.

That said, they're not all that helpful, unless you're parked next to your ball - lol

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Sioux Falls, SD must be the exception.  Most of the courses have GPS on their carts, even the munis.

That said, they're not all that helpful, unless you're parked next to your ball - lol

We have eight courses in the area; one private, one semi-private, four munis, and two others open to the public. Only one of the "others" has GPS on the carts. However, I have learned to trust the yardages on my GPS over ones in carts. Last April while playing in Bend Oregon, one course had GPS carts and the yardages were off by 15 yards!! I told the pro shop at the turn and they were going to reset it, but I used mine for the back nine.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ha, got me!   I had let that incident slip out of my memory.  Just to correct things, laser said 140.  But it was indeed to the tree forty yards behind the green, I admit.  I did nail that tree with that 8 iron, however.  

I remeber that little incident......Heritage Isles, I presume?....LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've only used Bushnell. MGS ran a whole thing on most wanted laser. Check that out.

My only advice would be find one you like, set a price and wait on eBay till an opportunity comes to grab it.

The used prices for the good ones won't give you much of a break, maybe 50 dollars, I would buy new and not eve worry about a price drop, you can catch a. Sale for bushnell V3 with jolt for about 275 on occasion, compare to used at 250, I'll take new for the extra 25. Leupold is also a good one, but they are a bit lie expensive than the bushnell. If you are looking for something that gets you close, and don't mind a watch, the go Watches work well for finding front center back, along with bunkers and such, and they are less expensive than the lasers depending model. In either case, make sure you purchase extra batteries and keep them in your golf bag, there is not warning when the battery dies,

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The used prices for the good ones won't give you much of a break, maybe 50 dollars, I would buy new and not eve worry about a price drop, you can catch a. Sale for bushnell V3 with jolt for about 275 on occasion, compare to used at 250, I'll take new for the extra 25. Leupold is also a good one, but they are a bit lie expensive than the bushnell. If you are looking for something that gets you close, and don't mind a watch, the go Watches work well for finding front center back, along with bunkers and such, and they are less expensive than the lasers depending model. In either case, make sure you purchase extra batteries and keep them in your golf bag, there is not warning when the battery dies,

I got my v3 new off Ebay for 225 shipping included. that 25 went to a round of golf. I try to get stuff because a few bucks here or there is worth it. Never had an issue with the bay.

EDIT: Just saw that you meant to retag someone else.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Today I received the MG M400 Laser Range Finder. I've been wanting a newer model of LRF from my old Bushnell that's about 6 years old I'd guess. The M400 seems like it will fit my needs. It's not fancy at all compared to other brands on the market. It's basic. No jolt, no colors when viewing, no slope, etc. Just yardage. It's very lightweight and quite compact actually. I have mid-size hands and wear a men's regular glove if that says anything about the size. It comes with an instruction booklet, lanyard, carabiner, lens cloth, storage case, and battery. Actually the carrying case is quite nice for a low budget LRF. Anyway, I haven't taken it to the course yet but I have targeted a few objects around the yard and it seems ok as far as I can tell. Below I've posted a few of my crappy photos to hopefully give you an idea of the M400. Oh, I forgot... I ordered the M400 ($149.99) plus another dozen Tour C4 balls ($19.95) on Thursday afternoon. So, the shipping was very fast and free! I live in Texas where MG is located so I'm sure that speeds things up.

M44 package.jpg

Side View.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

You can't go too far wrong with a Bushnell Plaid.  Ive got the Tour V3 and have been very happy with it.  I think the simpler the equipment the better it performs.  Good old KISS principle and if it's recruit proof it's a winner! ;)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Today I received the MG M400 Laser Range Finder. I've been wanting a newer model of LRF from my old Bushnell that's about 6 years old I'd guess. The M400 seems like it will fit my needs. It's not fancy at all compared to other brands on the market. It's basic. No jolt, no colors when viewing, no slope, etc. Just yardage. It's very lightweight and quite compact actually. I have mid-size hands and wear a men's regular glove if that says anything about the size. It comes with an instruction booklet, lanyard, carabiner, lens cloth, storage case, and battery. Actually the carrying case is quite nice for a low budget LRF. Anyway, I haven't taken it to the course yet but I have targeted a few objects around the yard and it seems ok as far as I can tell. Below I've posted a few of my crappy photos to hopefully give you an idea of the M400. Oh, I forgot... I ordered the M400 ($149.99) plus another dozen Tour C4 balls ($19.95) on Thursday afternoon. So, the shipping was very fast and free! I live in Texas where MG is located so I'm sure that speeds things up.

Sorry for the poor pictures. I had a few more to share but they are rotated wrong. I guess I need a MGS photo posting lesson.

Plaid, I have the same exact model with another branding on it.

All these models are probably made by the same manufacturer in China and just sold with different logos in different countries (mostly start-ups).

For the consumer, this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I also got mine for about $150 and it has been working for more than 3 years and never had a problem with it. Until now, only had to change the battery once.

I would recommend this model as well.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Nice to know that I bought a LRF that's actually at least a 3 year old model. LOL I really don't care. It's a basic tool anyway regardless of how old it is. I mainly wanted a more lightweight/compact model to target objects around the course such as bunkers, hazards, trees, and ...pins. I've tried many of the newer models my friends have and they are all quite nice. I just knew I didn't need the bells & whistles these newer more expensive devices have. Also the newer models I've tested all seemed heavier. I'll incorporate the usage of the M400 with my Skycaddie GPS. This fall when the weather cools I want to get around the course some and do some basic distance mapping and make myself a yardage booklet. The M400 should be helpful there as well. I'm pleased to hear Stevenhw8 that you've had a good experience with this model. I suspect I will too.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Doh what a spaz!  I thought you had bought a Bushnell Plaid.  I'm sure Stevenhw wouldn't bum steer ya about his experience though.  Great price too, much cheaper than a Bushnell.

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

Does what I need: yardage only.

I can switch between yards/meters. It has pin seeker function. You can adjust the lens to focus on target for a clearer view.

I think for $150, you can't go wrong.

I have never used any of those high-end lasers, so I can't compare. But when I play with my wife (she uses a Bushnell GPS watch), we compare yardages and we get 1 yard difference max.

But I also look forward to Plaid's review.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

This past weekend I had my first opportunity to give my new MG M400 laser range finder ($149) a try out. Worked beautifully. Here's my take on this particular low budget range finder.

Review/Experience

In a post yesterday I did a short review of the Diamondback Golf Club/course in Abilene and that's where I used it. I'd never played Diamondback. My playing partner had a Bushnell V3 ($300). I also had my Skycaddie GPS with me. As far as accuracy is concerned I found no distance differences between my M400 and the V3. All the pins on the course had reflectors and the pins were easy and fast to lock in on. Many times I wanted to shoot an object on the course such as a tree, bunker, berm, or bushes, etc. to determine a lay up or "go for it" distance. No problems there either. My partners V3 would measure the same distances +- 1yd. perhaps. I enjoyed having the M400 along with my Skycaddie. On my home course which I'm very familiar with I won't need the LRF as much. I typically rely on the front, middle, and back of green distances provided by the Skycaddie. The only noticeable difference I found between the two range finders was the magnification. The V3 has what I'd call one magnification better than the M400. The M400 is slightly smaller and a little lighter also. The M400 fits easily within the cup holder of a cart. The optics are clear and adjustable for your individual needs.

Conclusion

After using the M400 alongside the more expensive Bushnell V3 I'd have to recommend the M400. It's half the cost of the V3. Neither unit had Jolt or slope technology. Bushnell also touts Speed and Accuracy. The M400 was just as fast and just as accurate. I will concede that the V3 is prettier and has pro golfers endorsing it but that's to be expected. The M400 has me endorsing it and I'll say buy one if you're in the market and don't want to spend twice as much for same results.

Thanks much for the review Plaid,  I have been considering this purchase as well.  Last night i must have read the page in the MG catalog at least three times.  In fact, I emailed MG and asked who the mfg was......Their answer.....MG is the mfg.

On Sunday, my golf partner just returned from a trip sporting the Nikon Coolshot rangefinder.  He won a Dick's gift card in a tournament and used it to get the Coolshot.  So I tried it and found that even I could hold it steady enough to shoot a pin.  It looks like I am also headed down the ownership path for a MG 400.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Ha. Some outfit in China makes it. The little booklet that comes with it has Chinese writing on the front page. We both know the Chinese make it will put any name on it. Foz I will say this.... perhaps some LRF's have some type of technology to steady the shot? I don't know. My hand is a little shakey but I was still able to get a good accurate and fast measurement. That might be something you'll want to consider or investigate.

Ha. Some outfit in China makes it. The little booklet that comes with it has Chinese writing on the front page. We both know the Chinese make it will put any name on it. Foz I will say this.... perhaps some LRF's have some type of technology to steady the shot? I don't know. My hand is a little shakey but I was still able to get a good accurate and fast measurement. That might be something you'll want to consider or investigate.

That is why I have been a bit hesitant on pulling the trigger......a little shaky hands thing.  But since I did try the Nikon on Sunday, I was able to get a good read every time I shot the pin.  I thought I would need the jolt thing to help me but that is only after you take the shot....LOL

This model also has a pin-seeker function.

Truth be told, I couldn't tell the difference with it on/off.

But I rest my elbow against my chest when shooting for the flag, so my hands don't shake.

I like the feel of a GPS watch over a rangefinder. And the price is more ideal (unless, ofcourse you go superior). If you have an Iphone, you may want to consider an Apple Watch as well. From what I have read they are great for the price compared to middle of the road to high end GPS watches.

Seriously considering the M400..........

Since I got my Bushnell laser for Christmas, I have been using it when I travel to unfamiliar courses and I like it a lot.  I thought I would have trouble with my shaky hands, but the jolt works great.  I still have my GolfBuddy and like it too.  On familiar courses I tend to use the GolfBuddy, just because it's a little faster, particularly when walking.  Most courses I play around here have smallish greens and the GPS is good enough.  When I travel, I use the laser because the greens tend to be big.  My wife has the talking GolfBuddy on her hat and I can hear the yardage to the middle, and then my laser tells me where the pin is on the green.  That's nice.  So I've gotten use to having both, but can get by with either.  This last week I played the Salem CC in Oregon and they had yardage markers on sprinkler heads.  Wow!  How novel!

I like to use both my laser and "sure shot gps" in conjunction.  I've found at least over here the mapping that has been done is not that accurate on some courses so it is good to have the laser to confirm or deny yardages.  I love the way they speed up play and remove any doubt.  Sometimes I wish the pros could use them instead of half hour conversations with their caddies while they consult their yardage books.  It get so tedious when I'm watching tournaments.

My Bag

I think i'm a dual user like mizuno_lover. I used my new M400 for the second time today at my home course. I also had my SC along as well. I probably used the M400 a half dozen times. I also agree about letting Pros use a LRF. I'm a pretty traditional type of player and like keeping the game that way. However, I kinda get tired of the pros vacillating over yardages and stuff so much.

I'd also vote to let the pros wear shorts too. Who the hell wants to wear a pair of slacks in Atlanta in the summer? !!!

I think i'm a dual user like mizuno_lover. I used my new M400 for the second time today at my home course. I also had my SC along as well. I probably used the M400 a half dozen times. I also agree about letting Pros use a LRF. I'm a pretty traditional type of player and like keeping the game that way. However, I kinda get tired of the pros vacillating over yardages and stuff so much.

I'd also vote to let the pros wear shorts too. Who the hell wants to wear a pair of slacks in Atlanta in the summer? !!!

Can you imagine seeing Phil Mickelson in shorts? Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

What's the rule of thumb the uglier the legs the better the golf swing?

I've seen it broken multiple times.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I ended up giving my son my golf watch since I just can't play golf wearing a watch. I do and have been wearing a fitness band for the last two years so when I saw that the new Microsoft band had a gold GPS feature I snapped one up to replace my Garmin Vivosmart that has not seemed to work at all for the last three months. Going to give it a go tomorrow but it looks pretty slick in terms of using it for golf. I believe that the band itself has GPS in it so there is no need to use your phone as the conduit, only to sync a course before the round.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

attachicon.gifM44 package.jpg

[attachment=33912:Side View.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures. I had a few more to share but they are rotated wrong. I guess I need a MGS photo posting lesson.

I have the older version from that company.  Had it for a number of years and it has served me well.  

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

Played over the weekend for my first round where I actually used the Microsoft band to its full potential and came away impressed.  One you sync the course to the band, which takes all of a minute, you put your phone away and do everything with the band.  Yardages were very accurate compared to what I was able to shoot with my laser to compare and gives simple front, middle and back yardages.  The one really cool feature that a lot of golf watches don't have is the shot tracking feature.  The band can actually tell when you hit a shot versus a practice swing and counts your strokes as you make them.  If you hit two balls and don't want to count the second, a simple swipe on the face to the left removes a stroke.  Also a simple swipe to the right adds a stroke for say a gimme that you pick up or tap in that does not register.  One bit of a pain is that you need to actually hit a button on the band to get a yardage, but it becomes routine and not that much of a bother after a few holes.  

TaylorMade just went live with the My Round Pro feature for the band and I will be giving that a go this weekend.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Interesting. Do you have a pic of what it looks like on your wrist? I'm not into bulky watches or such.

Archived