TESTERS WANTED! ×

Course set up and pace of play

revkev

Great point by jdiddy- i know heaps of people who are long enough, but nowhere near as accurate as required to play from way back. I guess its in our nature, the machismo factor, that we need to pound driver on a 400 yard hole so we have a wedge in hand rather than throttle back with a fairway wood or hybrid and be left with a short iron in hand but in the short grass.

I wish the general public would realize that tour players don't hit driver 14 times a round like most amateurs do.

I just had my best 9 holes ever the other day. Hit 6/8 fairways. Shot a 44. Two blow up holes cost me 9 holes in the 30s. Those two holes? Lost balls off the tee. Cost me four strokes just on that, plus the screwed up shots after that because I was pissed. Hit hybrid off the tee the rest of the way. Kinda stupid to hit driver 300, when I can hit the hybrid 230. I suck inside 100 yards anyway. haha

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

I just had my best 9 holes ever the other day. Hit 6/8 fairways. Shot a 44. Two blow up holes cost me 9 holes in the 30s. Those two holes? Lost balls off the tee. Cost me four strokes just on that, plus the screwed up shots after that because I was pissed. Hit hybrid off the tee the rest of the way. Kinda stupid to hit driver 300, when I can hit the hybrid 230. I suck inside 100 yards anyway. haha

If that hybrid is less than 21* loft you need a new hybrid brother!

If that hybrid is less than 21* loft you need a new hybrid brother!

22*.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

What's the fun in teeing off with that?  :blink:

More fun that pulling my damn ball out of the weeds.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Played yesterday morning and the group in front of us was just brutally slow, no golf knowledge or ability.  Took us three and a half hours to play the front nine and waited on every shot.  Just by doing simple things like not all standing in one spot while each person hits a shot and only looking for a few minutes for a lost ball would have been a huge improvement.  Oh and playing from the tips when nobody hits the ball more that 190 yards off the tee was a miss as well.  I played with two older gentlemen that did not hit the ball long or were really good players but kept pace which was refreshing.  On my end I tried to hit less than driver off the tee and lay up on a few par 5s just so we could keep moving a bit.  The group in front of us walked off after 13 holes and from there on in I was -4....don't think it was a coincidence that I played better when I did not have to stand over a shot for 12 minutes waiting for the guy on the green to clean up his two footer for a 12.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

don't think it was a coincidence that I played better when I did not have to stand over a shot for 12 minutes waiting for the guy on the green to clean up his two footer for a 12.

Sounds like an awesome practice round for some type or tournament or event!

Tips on quality courses should come with two gauges - handicap index and average drive but again IMO tips should only be allowed with permission from the pro (not the kid running the register - no fair to him.)

Regardless its a lose/lose Apprenti and JDiddy - generally speaking people will hit their driver straighter than their 3 wood or hybrid (not talking touring pros, the normal amateur who doesn't have time to work on his game.)  The reason is simple, the technology in the driver is better.  So, using the wild driver means a longer round and the wild and shorter chicken stick a longer round still - pick your poison so to speak.

There would be a myth that our myth busters could tackle - you should lay up to a favorite yardage.  Pros have a favorite yardage because they work on it.  So Apprenti would lay up to a favorite yardage, my pro in Sheboygan would lay up to a favorite yardage, Doug my pro at Bayou lays up to a favorite yardage - I need to get that sucker as close as I can to the green.  I will lay up to as close as I can that's a full shot, 65 yards, unless I can get it really close (inside 30) or there is a likely penalty shot for a miss hit.  But I'm also a low handicap golfer, I'm going to wager that if we myth busted here the higher the handicap the closer to the green the lay up should be but I'm also going to wager that for all abilities the closer, the better.  That's what Every Shot Count posits.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Tips on quality courses should come with two gauges - handicap index and average drive but again IMO tips should only be allowed with permission from the pro (not the kid running the register - no fair to him.)

Regardless its a lose/lose Apprenti and JDiddy - generally speaking people will hit their driver straighter than their 3 wood or hybrid (not talking touring pros, the normal amateur who doesn't have time to work on his game.)  The reason is simple, the technology in the driver is better.  So, using the wild driver means a longer round and the wild and shorter chicken stick a longer round still - pick your poison so to speak.

There would be a myth that our myth busters could tackle - you should lay up to a favorite yardage.  Pros have a favorite yardage because they work on it.  So Apprenti would lay up to a favorite yardage, my pro in Sheboygan would lay up to a favorite yardage, Doug my pro at Bayou lays up to a favorite yardage - I need to get that sucker as close as I can to the green.  I will lay up to as close as I can that's a full shot, 65 yards, unless I can get it really close (inside 30) or there is a likely penalty shot for a miss hit.  But I'm also a low handicap golfer, I'm going to wager that if we myth busted here the higher the handicap the closer to the green the lay up should be but I'm also going to wager that for all abilities the closer, the better.  That's what Every Shot Count posits.

For high handicappers this is probably true. Even though I'm better at say 130-160 than a 80-120, the odds of me missing OB or in really hard to navigate rough is a lot higher from the bigger yardage. Although I might take 3 shots to get on the green from 80 because I suck, I won't lose my ball and spend 8 minutes finding it.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

I'm going to wager that if we myth busted here the higher the handicap the closer to the green the lay up should be but I'm also going to wager that for all abilities the closer, the better.  That's what Every Shot Count posits.

Rev- I filled in as fourth man for a Chamber of Commerce or Village outing one time and we were playing a scramble- up tees (6900 from tips so prob 6200/6500 where we played). I was smoking my driver that hot summer day so many greens were in range or close and these guys were left with flip wedges in there. After them missing greens or hitting it to 20 feet on what was an essential 30 yard par three I could sense some frustration from the group. One of the guys actually made a comment that he couldn't believe how much easier a 90 yard shot feels in comparison to a 30 yarder. I mean we had some chip shots and these guys were skulling it, scared to hit out of greenside bunkers, and i was licking my chops the whole time. These guys were not scratch golfers, but they played prob 50 rounds a year- village board members and such, so we weren't really out there to "win" just post respectable scores. I told them the rest of the round I'll go for the 100 yard marker unless I thought I could knock it on the green. It was quite the experience for me. Seeing players who played as much as they did and all could break 100 or 90 just look like they'd never played golf before. Honestly, I could have taken a get golf ready class out there and they'd be hitting better short game shots than these guys!

Rev- I filled in as fourth man for a Chamber of Commerce or Village outing one time and we were playing a scramble- up tees (6900 from tips so prob 6200/6500 where we played). I was smoking my driver that hot summer day so many greens were in range or close and these guys were left with flip wedges in there. After them missing greens or hitting it to 20 feet on what was an essential 30 yard par three I could sense some frustration from the group. One of the guys actually made a comment that he couldn't believe how much easier a 90 yard shot feels in comparison to a 30 yarder. I mean we had some chip shots and these guys were skulling it, scared to hit out of greenside bunkers, and i was licking my chops the whole time. These guys were not scratch golfers, but they played prob 50 rounds a year- village board members and such, so we weren't really out there to "win" just post respectable scores. I told them the rest of the round I'll go for the 100 yard marker unless I thought I could knock it on the green. It was quite the experience for me. Seeing players who played as much as they did and all could break 100 or 90 just look like they'd never played golf before. Honestly, I could have taken a get golf ready class out there and they'd be hitting better short game shots than these guys!

In scrambles I tend to agree.  What happens is these players are hitting from spots they are not used to seeing, so it's not a comfortable shot.  They play everyday and know what club they hit for a second shot.  If you suddenly put a different club, especially a half SW or PW in there hands, look out!!  I say this because I have been that person.  I have played in scrambles where we have a big hitter, or in the case of a short par 4 from the forward tees, my wife catching a good one, then I am hitting my next shot from 75 yards closer to the green.  It's a shot I never hit before.  I have bladed, chunked, flipped, flopped, just about every shot but what I wanted from there.  It's gotten a lot better for two reasons:  I practice hitting those shots more than I used to; and my SCOR wedges really helped with execution.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I will confess that I've had this type of experience in scrambles too.  I tell you that if you put me in that position I would get you close to the green.  I have a short game. :)

I'm only going by what Every Shot Counts suggests - scrambles are different animals that rarely relates to a players real game, I used to love scrambles but have come to hate them.  Generally speaking a play in a couple to three a year.  So far I've managed to dodge that bullet this year and from what I can tell Bayou rarely has any scrambles.  All the more reason to like it.  With any sort of luck I may avoid playing in a scramble this year.  That would be fine.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The course I played, as I mentioned, did the best they could with tee boxes - moving them forward in anticipation of the herds playing over the holiday weekend.  In general, they are doing better this season (they are under new management) - the greens are infinitely better than in years past - with course maintenance.  I notice that the pins are typically in pretty tough locations - within a 12-18 inches of the edge of a tier, but never within 3 paces of the fringe.  To me, they are trying to make par and birdie a challenge for the better and average golfer.  Is that too tough for the novice?

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

That doesn't sound unreasonable.  I don't think it matters to the novice.  They are going to have issues no matter where the pins are located.  They don't have a command of the speed of a putt and can't read greens very well anyway.  Generally, there should be 3 easy, 3 average, and 3 difficult pin placements per nine holes.  Certainly, for this past weekend with lots of novice golfers playing, a course would be benefit from easier pin placements by putting pins in the middle of flat areas to help them out.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am fortunate to play at a course that has the best management that money can buy.  TPC at Sawgrass.  Played the Valley course on Friday the 3rd, 3:55.  And that's with having to diligently search for any ball that drifts slightly off the fairway into the rough.  Rangers are well trained and for the most part good at moving the herd along.  They start talking to the group if they are any amount of time off the 4:15 pace and there's room ahead of them.  They have authority to have them skip a hole and go back and play it later.  Stadium is longer, usually a 4:45 to 5 hour round or more, but they have an always in place cart paths only rule and the cart paths are not all that close to play.

The only exception to the above is the dreaded wedding party.  Several foursomes and there ain't no moving those guys along.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Remember that crazy ranger at the Stadium?  We played in 4:15, never saw the group ahead or behind and he was on us all over the back 9.  "While we're young."  He was wacked I thought the pro who was with us was going to kill him.

With your rough rounds are going to be a bit longer beyond a doubt, under 4 for a foursome is great.  I can play right around 3 at Bayou.  I'm anxious to see how that might or might not change with the new greens.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Remember that crazy ranger at the Stadium?  We played in 4:15, never saw the group ahead or behind and he was on us all over the back 9.  "While we're young."  He was wacked I thought the pro who was with us was going to kill him.

With your rough rounds are going to be a bit longer beyond a doubt, under 4 for a foursome is great.  I can play right around 3 at Bayou.  I'm anxious to see how that might or might not change with the new greens.

I cannot remember the last time I played in under 4. I'm a very fast golfer imo, I don't look for lost balls for more than a few seconds, I take 1 MAYBE 2 practice swings, I don't need to go stand by the guys I'm playing with until they shoot. I spend a lot of my time getting frustrated with slow groups in front of me.

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

I'm not sure, but I think we had that ranger today.  Cart paths only on the Valley because of heavy rain last night.  Finished in 4:05.  But because we weren't right on the group ahead of us, although they were always in sight (and had teed off two spots ahead of us), ranger asked us three times to close up the gap.  This was even though the group behind us was at least a hole and a half behind us.  Rough was brutal.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

The ranger has no options there.  You aren't holding up the group behind you, and he can't make you skip a hole because the group in front is in sight, so... "eff the ranger, Boo Boo!"

Sounds like the ranger we had in St. George, UT.  Will never go back to Green Spring again.

But he's a member of that course Kenny, it hosts a web.com playoff event and in the summer the rough is worse for him than for that event.  BTW the rough is tougher normally at the Stadium course than for the Players as well.  If you are on the time pace that's posted on the card and in the club house it is inexcusable for the ranger to be on you - particularly at a place where you are paying close to $400 a round (that's the guest fee on the TPC.)  For that money the Ranger has to be the best ever, he needs to keep it moving but never bother a guest who is on track.

@kfilly aren't you a member at a club?  The only reason that I'm having issues is because my club is redoing its greens.  Once the greens are back in no more rounds over 3:30.  Took a cart around the course yesterday, they look great.  The pro told me they are 10 days ahead of schedule.  They are do to reopen on August 15th but he said if they are deemed ready by Champion Turf and the Super at Bayou we will get on them sooner.  Honestly some look ready to play now.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

But he's a member of that course Kenny, it hosts a web.com playoff event and in the summer the rough is worse for him than for that event.  BTW the rough is tougher normally at the Stadium course than for the Players as well.  If you are on the time pace that's posted on the card and in the club house it is inexcusable for the ranger to be on you - particularly at a place where you are paying close to $400 a round (that's the guest fee on the TPC.)  For that money the Ranger has to be the best ever, he needs to keep it moving but never bother a guest who is on track.

@kfilly aren't you a member at a club?  The only reason that I'm having issues is because my club is redoing its greens.  Once the greens are back in no more rounds over 3:30.  Took a cart around the course yesterday, they look great.  The pro told me they are 10 days ahead of schedule.  They are do to reopen on August 15th but he said if they are deemed ready by Champion Turf and the Super at Bayou we will get on them sooner.  Honestly some look ready to play now.

Not a member of a club as of yet. Possibly next year. I rarely if ever see a ranger on any of the courses I play. If I do, they are at least 80 years old and are just doing it to get out of the house. Utah golf is like the wild wild west, there are no laws. Its lame. 

Not a member of a club as of yet. Possibly next year. I rarely if ever see a ranger on any of the courses I play. If I do, they are at least 80 years old and are just doing it to get out of the house. Utah golf is like the wild wild west, there are no laws. Its lame. 

Heh. I'm looking for tee times right now for next Tuesday afternoon in SLC. I can't find s*** online. Gonna have to start calling or just try to walk on somewhere.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Heh. I'm looking for tee times right now for next Tuesday afternoon in SLC. I can't find s*** online. Gonna have to start calling or just try to walk on somewhere.

Yeah man, seriously. You've gotta get one a week or two in advance or go in the heat of the afternoon. It been hot as a mother here lately so bring a gallon of water or you'll be hating life. You can walk on pretty easy after 11 usually, Its usually pretty booked from 6-11 and from 5 on though. 

Let me know if you want a playing partner and I'll see if I can sneak out of work for a bit. 

Yeah man, seriously. You've gotta get one a week or two in advance or go in the heat of the afternoon. It been hot as a mother here lately so bring a gallon of water or you'll be hating life. You can walk on pretty easy after 11 usually, Its usually pretty booked from 6-11 and from 5 on though. 

Let me know if you want a playing partner and I'll see if I can sneak out of work for a bit. 

My flight gets in around 11am. So my plan was to try to play around 1 or 2. Would definitely be up for a two-some. Need something relatively close to the Omni. 

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

I'm not sure, but I think we had that ranger today.  Cart paths only on the Valley because of heavy rain last night.  Finished in 4:05.  But because we weren't right on the group ahead of us, although they were always in sight (and had teed off two spots ahead of us), ranger asked us three times to close up the gap.  This was even though the group behind us was at least a hole and a half behind us.  Rough was brutal.  

That's when I tell them to pound salt. I've gone back to the club house after playing 6 holes and demanded a partial refund for that kind of sh*t. There is no reason or call for being pestered like that.

My flight gets in around 11am. So my plan was to try to play around 1 or 2. Would definitely be up for a two-some. Need something relatively close to the Omni. 

Hmm, not sure where the omni is or what it is for that matter? Just googled it and it was some apartments in downtown slc. 

Hmm, not sure where the omni is or what it is for that matter? Just googled it and it was some apartments in downtown slc. 

Sorry. Wrong conference. Haha.

I'm at the Hilton SLC Center.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Sorry. Wrong conference. Haha.

I'm at the Hilton SLC Center.

Ok, thats downtown downtown. Naturally there aren't any courses super close. But there are a few about 10-15 min away. 

Mountain Dell is up the canyon, probably 15 min away. That would be a good course as its a really pretty one. 

Forest Dale is probably 10 min away, seems pretty ghetto, but I've only driven past it. 

Glendale and Rose Park are 2 pretty close options. They are on the rougher side of the freeway so I'm not sure how the courses are but those 2 are talked about a lot so they must be ok.

I'd probably do 1 of those 4 if I were you. Let me know what time and I'm sure I could sneak out early to get a round in with you.