Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Grips for bad hands (Tendonitis)

I've had some soreness in my hands for a long time, but this past weekend I REALLY had some pain develop and it looks like I've got tendonitis.

I've been playing with midsize Lamkin Crosslines for quite awhile, but it may be time to find something a little more forgiving.

I've got a No1 grip I like on a wedge and I'm thinking about switching to them, but thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced tendonitis or arthritis in their hands and have any grip recommendations?

Iomic Sticky and Dance with Dragon (shock cushion grip), are a couple of other grips I've read some reviews on, that look promising.

Any suggestions?

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I got a shaft off eBay once that had a Golf Pride CP2 grip on it. Only hit it a few times at the range before I changed because it was a midsize grip. Really soft though. Might be worth a try.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Winn Dry tac grips were always super soft to the touch to me. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I just received an order for Winn Excel RF midsize grips for my wife.  She has arthritis in her hands, and these seem to work for her.  The only complaint is that they wear out pretty fast on her driver.  I got the Pure DTX in midsize to try out.  I have been using the regular DTX, but I also have sore hands, so thought maybe the larger size might work.  They are not particularly soft, but rough feeling.  They help me because I don't feel like I have to have a "death grip" on the club.  I think that helps the hands in the long run.   I'll be swapping them out before the weekend.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks for the suggestions!  My hands feel better after a couple of days away from the range and a lot of hand exercises, but I don't want that to become a pattern!

I've played the Winn grips (still have a driver with Dri-Tac on it), but not the Pure or GP CP2.

I really liked the "firm" feel of the crosslines when I first started using them, but it looks like my hands just can't handle the firmness long-term...

I definitely like the feel of the NO1, but they ARE quite spendy (as are the DWDs).

The GP site does state the CP2s are designed for those with arthritis/joint issues!

I just texted my fitter to see what he's got in stock.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I have a few guys I play with that swear by these.  I have never used them just going on what they tell me.

http://avongrips.com/shop/categories/Golf/Chamois/

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Get the largest, softest grips that you feel comfortable with! Before you install the grips, install some sensicore shaft inserts as well. They won't change the swingweight and do a great job of filtering vibrations as well. Continue with your hand exercises, ice, and ice massage therapies. Stay away from manual labor, that's what your check book is for!

Edit- a bionic glove feels like $hit but really works, too!

Thanks for the suggestions!  My hands feel better after a couple of days away from the range and a lot of hand exercises, but I don't want that to become a pattern!

I've played the Winn grips (still have a driver with Dri-Tac on it), but not the Pure or GP CP2.

I really liked the "firm" feel of the crosslines when I first started using them, but it looks like my hands just can't handle the firmness long-term...

I definitely like the feel of the NO1, but they ARE quite spendy (as are the DWDs).

The GP site does state the CP2s are designed for those with arthritis/joint issues!

I just texted my fitter to see what he's got in stock.

I just got mine from http://www.grips4less.com

Prices seemed pretty reasonable.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thanks again for the suggestions!

I'm not sure sensicores can be used in graphite shafts, but I'll look into it.

My fitter doesn't really have a large selection of grips, so I went to Dick's and picked up a Bionic glove and checked out the grips they had in stock.  I ended up putting GP CP2 wraps on my irons.

My hands felt good after a bucket at the range, so I'll be playing a full round tomorrow!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Good deal! Anything to be able to play more!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Good deal! Anything to be able to play more!

You've got that right!!

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

From all that I have read, it appears that Midsize Grips are the best for those suffering from Arthritis. I have acute inflammatory arthritis, but found that Midsize grips did not work for me....my fingers are Cadet size so I need the standard grips. Since going with the Pure P2 Wraps, my fingers have not hurt as much and have even been able to play using a regular glove(not Bionic).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I think both the change in grips (I already used midsize, but they were very firm) and the Bionic glove make a difference, but frankly the Bionic glove seems amazing!  I also hit some balls with my MP-30s with standard mid-size grips and steel shafts and with the Bionic glove, my hands felt fine.

Granted, it's only a bucket and the real test will be over the next week, or so.

I almost balked at the cost ($25), but if it saves my hands, it's a bargain.

I'll likely try to use regular golf gloves with the new grips in a few days, and save the Bionic glove for the range or whenever my hands start showing signs of tendonitis.  However, if the only way I can play comfortably requires the Bionic glove, then so be it.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I've got Winn jumbo grips on my irons and absolutely love them. I don't know why, but it makes me grip lighter and therefore swing better.

They really help my my fat, meaty hands. I showed a playing buddy two weeks ago and he was so impressed that he had jumbos put on his that week.

They have really helped my sore hands and wrist.

I've got Winn jumbo grips on my irons and absolutely love them. I don't know why, but it makes me grip lighter and therefore swing better.

They really help my my fat, meaty hands. I showed a playing buddy two weeks ago and he was so impressed that he had jumbos put on his that week.

They have really helped my sore hands and wrist.

That's an excellent point that I forgot to mention. For those who do not have tendinitis yet still suffer from sore hands after practicing and playing, there's about a 100% chance you're gripping the club much too tightly. Remember, like a baby bird, right? Just tight enough so that he doesn't fly away, yet to strangle the little guy...

Bigger, usually is better for arthritis sufferers. That said its personal preference. Lots of people swear by Jumbomax grips, others the arthritic grips. I'd buy singles of several and try them

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I think both the change in grips (I already used midsize, but they were very firm) and the Bionic glove make a difference, but frankly the Bionic glove seems amazing!  I also hit some balls with my MP-30s with standard mid-size grips and steel shafts and with the Bionic glove, my hands felt fine.

Granted, it's only a bucket and the real test will be over the next week, or so.

I almost balked at the cost ($25), but if it saves my hands, it's a bargain.

I'll likely try to use regular golf gloves with the new grips in a few days, and save the Bionic glove for the range or whenever my hands start showing signs of tendonitis.  However, if the only way I can play comfortably requires the Bionic glove, then so be it.

I have been using the Bionc Gloves for about 6 years now and must say that not only do they relieve the pain in my fingers but for the cost, they last a lot longer than standard golf gloves.  It must be because the leather is thicker.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Well, my hands held up for not only the round yesterday, but the lesson session last night!

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I've got some "spare clubs" I can put some other grip models on to experiment with, but at least the GP CP2s and the Bionic glove will keep me in the game, for now! ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Just an update, that 63 holes, a lesson session and 2 trips to the range later, my hands feel better than they have in weeks ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Just an update, that 63 holes, a lesson session and 2 trips to the range later, my hands feel better than they have in weeks ;)

Well, now you are peaking my interest. I do not use a glove; haven't for over 10 years. I carry an old one in my bag for trips to the hot and muggy part of the country, but I have never liked the feel of something between my hands and the grip. However, the arthritis is worse than it was 10 years ago, and I think it may be time to give these a try. Will it knock 5 shots off my HCP? :)

It might let you be comfortable enough to try. ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

That's an excellent point that I forgot to mention. For those who do not have tendinitis yet still suffer from sore hands after practicing and playing, there's about a 100% chance you're gripping the club much too tightly. Remember, like a baby bird, right? Just tight enough so that he doesn't fly away, yet to strangle the little guy...

I cannot mentally get past wanting to strangle my grips to death during my downswing. My hands have been sore lately and I'd assume this is the cause. 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

I cannot mentally get past wanting to strangle my grips to death during my downswing. My hands have been sore lately and I'd assume this is the cause. 

I'm sure that's had a lot to do with the issues I'm having to deal with.  The new grips and Bionic glove are helping A LOT, but I really need to try to improve my grip to deal with the root of the problem.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 1 month later...

Archived