TESTERS WANTED! ×

How a pair of sunglasses helped my game

Undershooter

I recently bought a pair of Oakley flak jacket 2.0 sunglasses with Oakley Prizm lenses. I have never liked playing with sunglasses on and recently have noticed that my eyesight seems to be declining a little. Having blue eyes, I decided it would probably be best to keep sunglasses on when I play and thus the Oakley Prizms came in. Great lenses who I would recommend to anyone for golf.

Alright now to the part where it actually helped my game. When I first started hitting balls with these I noticed that I was looking out the bottom of the lenses to see my ball. I thought this a little strange and figured I would just return them and get another pair that didn't give me this same problem. For the rest of the day though, I was stuck with them so may as well make it work... To keep from annoying myself to death, I concentrated on keeping my head down and looking through the center of the glasses at the ball. The first swing I did this and boom, went dead straight and was smoked. I didn't think anything of it at first but kept hitting balls and sure enough, I was crushing everything(dead straight) as long as I concentrated on looking through the center of the lenses.

I have always thought I did a good job keeping my head down throughout the swing and have never been corrected even when playing with the club pro. Apparently I wasn't doing a good enough job of it. The first two rounds after this small adjustment were 74, 72. These aren't super low scores for me by any means but they were a 74 and 72 with absolutely EMBARRASSING putting. If a tour pro had the putts I had then they probably shoot 65, 67. Putting aside, my point was that I struck it beautifully! All because of one tiny swing tweak that was brought on by a pair of sunglasses. I decided to keep the flak jacket 2.0s so that I would notice when I was lifting my head up again.

The moral of this story is that basics and fundamentals are huge in golf! Make sure your grip is good and your head is down. Then hit it the hell up the fairway lol

What is your General swing flaw that you fall into and how do you combat it?

Post #1000!!!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Great post. I've been seriously considering a pair with Prizm lenses since the other thread on sunglasses popped up. This may have just sealed the deal for me.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Great post. I've been seriously considering a pair with Prizm lenses since the other thread on sunglasses popped up. This may have just sealed the deal for me.

One of my playing partners hated the pink/red shade that it turned everything but he is the only person I've had say something bad about them. Everyone else said they loved the clarity you got with them. It's so cool because you can see which grass is dying before it's even dead yet. Very neat.

I have been wearing Oakley glasses for the better part of 25 years now for baseball and golf. To me they are the best on the market and I have somewhere north of 60 pairs if I had to guess mostly due to all the free pairs I got playing ball in college and summer leagues for years after.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I have been wearing Oakley glasses for the better part of 25 years now for baseball and golf. To me they are the best on the market and I have somewhere north of 60 pairs if I had to guess mostly due to all the free pairs I got playing ball in college and summer leagues for years after.

Same here Jmike. I don't have 60 pair but I'm prolly hovering around 8-10 bc of getting new ones every year in college for free. Good ole M frames were functional as hell for baseball.

Death grip on the left hand as a round goes on when hitting driver. So I squeeze as hard as i can before i tee off with driver pointing to the sky and release until it feels as if it is going to slide through my hand. 

Good to hear those Oakley's are working out. I have been looking in to picking up a pair but don't really know what size to get and the nearest store that carries them is over 1hr away- yes I am lazy...

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Nice post Undershooter and congratulations on 1000.  My flaw is a loss of my address angle.  I guess you could call it keeping my head down because I straighten up a fraction.  Doesn't happen a lot but usually when I can least afford it.  Its a result of a fused lower back that decides its not going to cooperate and usually results in some colourful adjectives being spoken.

I wear prescription sunnies and they are a big help to me on course.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Nice post Undershooter and congratulations on 1000.  My flaw is a loss of my address angle.  I guess you could call it keeping my head down because I straighten up a fraction.  Doesn't happen a lot but usually when I can least afford it.  Its a result of a fused lower back that decides its not going to cooperate and usually results in some colourful adjectives being spoken.

I wear prescription sunnies and they are a big help to me on course.

I seem to want to do the same thing. I have a very upright swing and never realised that I was looking down the bridge of my nose at the ball.

I like wearing sunglasses when playing, but I like a lease that calms life down a bit! Oh and I've never been a fan of sports glasses - I like them larger covering more of the eye.

So I sport a pair of these bad boys....image.jpg

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I like wearing sunglasses when playing, but I like a lease that calms life down a bit! Oh and I've never been a fan of sports glasses - I like them larger covering more of the eye.

So I sport a pair of these bad boys....attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I only wear sports glasses when I play golf. The rest of the time I wear different shades that have a full frame. If i wear them while I play golf they fog up. 

And they did nothing to help me notice my swing flaw. The lack of a bottom frame helped me notice I was keeping my head up and looking out the bottom of the glasses. 

I do like that pair of sunglasses though :)

• 2 years later...

It was a fascinating post to read. Wearing sunglasses, outdoor activity has become important, as eyes come in coordinate contact with daylight, which can even damage eyes. My father cherishes playing diversions like golf, cricket and badminton on the weekend, So I gifted him wholesale designer sunglasses, from which his eyes being protected from rays as well looks stylish.

And the thread resurrection award goes to ^

But since its been dug up, anybody every play the old Oakley G30 golf lenses and then switch to the Prizms?

I just wonder how much difference they make.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

And the thread resurrection award goes to ^

But since its been dug up, anybody every play the old Oakley G30 golf lenses and then switch to the Prizms?

I just wonder how much difference they make.

Never played with the G30's but I swear by my Prizm's. Which unfortunately broke the other day and my first round without them was UGLY.

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

... I am going to address a pet peeve of mine and not singling anyone out with this comment, just adding a slightly different perspective. As an Instructor I really hated the thought of keeping your head down. It locks most people up and does not allow them the freedom the swing needs and I saw it ruin many swings. I think what most of you better players are talking about is keeping your eyes down. This allows movement and it is pretty obvious with Nicklaus who turned his head quite a bit but kept his eyes down

... And I could not imagine playing without sunglasses as I always have to protect my vision. I rotate 2 pair of Kaenon sunglasses as their lenses are crystal clear and recommended to me by an Optometrist friend of mine. He said anything we do in bright sunshine for more than 20 minutes or so we should be using good sunglasses. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Wholeheartedly agree that the Oakley Prizm golf is the best lens out there on the course. I actually wont play without them now, even if its overcast. I get a much better read of greens with them. Takes some time to get used to them

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Wholeheartedly agree that the Oakley Prizm golf is the best lens out there on the course. I actually wont play without them now, even if its overcast. I get a much better read of greens with them. Takes some time to get used to them

Yes and I'm definitely buying a back up pair. After having mine break this week, with a big tournament coming up this weekend. I'm gonna feel lost out there.

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

I recently bought a pair of Oakley flak jacket 2.0 sunglasses with Oakley Prizm lenses. I have never liked playing with sunglasses on and recently have noticed that my eyesight seems to be declining a little. Having blue eyes, I decided it would probably be best to keep sunglasses on when I play and thus the Oakley Prizms came in. Great lenses who I would recommend to anyone for golf.

Alright now to the part where it actually helped my game. When I first started hitting balls with these I noticed that I was looking out the bottom of the lenses to see my ball. I thought this a little strange and figured I would just return them and get another pair that didn't give me this same problem. For the rest of the day though, I was stuck with them so may as well make it work... To keep from annoying myself to death, I concentrated on keeping my head down and looking through the center of the glasses at the ball. The first swing I did this and boom, went dead straight and was smoked. I didn't think anything of it at first but kept hitting balls and sure enough, I was crushing everything(dead straight) as long as I concentrated on looking through the center of the lenses.

I have always thought I did a good job keeping my head down throughout the swing and have never been corrected even when playing with the club pro. Apparently I wasn't doing a good enough job of it. The first two rounds after this small adjustment were 74, 72. These aren't super low scores for me by any means but they were a 74 and 72 with absolutely EMBARRASSING putting. If a tour pro had the putts I had then they probably shoot 65, 67. Putting aside, my point was that I struck it beautifully! All because of one tiny swing tweak that was brought on by a pair of sunglasses. I decided to keep the flak jacket 2.0s so that I would notice when I was lifting my head up again.

The moral of this story is that basics and fundamentals are huge in golf! Make sure your grip is good and your head is down. Then hit it the hell up the fairway lol

What is your General swing flaw that you fall into and how do you combat it?

Post #1000!!!

Sounds like a training aid to me. 2 stroke penalty!! Just kidding

I was too stubborn to learn to keep my head down wearing these exact glasses so I just don't wear glasses lol

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I have been wearing Oakley's back to 1989 or so with the first M Frames and Frogskins. They saved me from losing an eye in 1992 and I haven't used anything else since. Love the Golf Prism lenses in my Half Jackets. Just a great brand period.

I was also looking to get a pair and now this might encourage me a little more to go out and get some! I guess it is amazing when you think about the golf swing how many moving parts and timing and everything that has to come together to hit the club face square.

I think what I might even do is wear a pair of sunglasses first just to make sure I'm looking through the center of the lens and if it seems to be helping I will definitely invest in the oakleys. Wouldn't help to have gear that is made specifically for golf!

... I am going to address a pet peeve of mine and not singling anyone out with this comment, just adding a slightly different perspective. As an Instructor I really hated the thought of keeping your head down. It locks most people up and does not allow them the freedom the swing needs and I saw it ruin many swings. I think what most of you better players are talking about is keeping your eyes down. This allows movement and it is pretty obvious with Nicklaus who turned his head quite a bit but kept his eyes down

... And I could not imagine playing without sunglasses as I always have to protect my vision. I rotate 2 pair of Kaenon sunglasses as their lenses are crystal clear and recommended to me by an Optometrist friend of mine. He said anything we do in bright sunshine for more than 20 minutes or so we should be using good sunglasses. 

Funny you mention this - I am actually working with my instructor to get my head UP throughout the swing (while still looking at the ball). "Keeping my head down" was killing my spine angle

Funny you mention this - I am actually working with my instructor to get my head UP throughout the swing (while still looking at the ball). "Keeping my head down" was killing my spine angle

chisag, on 18 Jul 2017 - 10:15 AM, said:snapback.png

... I am going to address a pet peeve of mine and not singling anyone out with this comment, just adding a slightly different perspective. As an Instructor I really hated the thought of keeping your head down. It locks most people up and does not allow them the freedom the swing needs and I saw it ruin many swings. I think what most of you better players are talking about is keeping your eyes down. This allows movement and it is pretty obvious with Nicklaus who turned his head quite a bit but kept his eyes down

... And I could not imagine playing without sunglasses as I always have to protect my vision. I rotate 2 pair of Kaenon sunglasses as their lenses are crystal clear and recommended to me by an Optometrist friend of mine. He said anything we do in bright sunshine for more than 20 minutes or so we should be using good sunglasses. 

Its probably good for me to note that my posture is very upright and nobody will ever worry about me being hunched over in my swing. Yes, eyes down is prolly a better way to put it than head down. But my head used to get a little high at times.

Holy hell at the thread resurrection btw haha

Archived