Sign in to follow this  
JBones

Vokey Design SM5 Raw Wedges Now Available through WedgeWorks

wedgeworks_handground_bobvokey_grinding.jpg

Vokey Design SM5 Wedges with Tour-Preferred Raw Finish Now Available through WedgeWorks 
Tour-proven, Customizable Models Available Beginning July 8 on Vokey.com 

vokey_sm5_raw_wedgeworks.jpg

Titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled 5 wedges, the #1 wedges on the PGA Tour, are now available in the tour's preferred finish: Raw. 

Previously reserved for the best players in the world through the Titleist Tour Van or Vokey Tour Department, Vokey Design SM5 Raw wedges can be ordered and customized through WedgeWorks on Vokey.com beginning July 8. 

“Raw means there is no additional finish applied to the wedge, which is made of 8620 carbon steel,” Master Craftsman Bob Vokey said. “It has what I like to call a satin appearance that will start to rust after some use. 

“On tour, the Raw heads give us the flexibility to grind wedges based on a player's needs,” Vokey said. “But guys just love the look of that raw steel – some players like it even more as it rusts, kind of like a trusty hammer or another tool. These are their scoring tools.” 

Jordan Spieth, the reigning Masters and U.S. Open champion, has trusted Vokey Design wedges since his junior golf days. Spieth now carries four Vokey SM5 Raw models (46º F, 52º F, 56º S and 60º L). 

“It's always been a confident feeling for me looking down at a Vokey wedge, knowing that Bob and Aaron (Vokey Tour Rep Aaron Dill) have me dialed in. I've been playing four Vokeys for years now – always with the Raw finish. I love the look and the feel of the raw metal, especially when they start rusting.” 

Many tour pros, including PGA Tour players Jimmy Walker and Zach Johnson, have also commented on the Raw finish reducing glare that might reflect off the wedge on bright days. 

“The Raw finish is perfect for me,” Walker said. “I have never liked glare coming off my irons or wedges and I even have a matte finish on my metal woods. I've played black wedges and copper-finished wedges in the past because of that, but have been playing Vokey Raw consistently for several years now with great success.” 

Added Johnson: “I've played Vokey wedges for as long as I can remember, and switched to Raw early in 2007. I love the look of the Raw, plus I don't have to worry about being distracted by any reflection from the sun.” 

Vokey Design SM5 Raw wedges are offered in four lofts from 54º to 60º and three of Vokey's most popular sole grinds – S, M and K. In total, there are 10 loft/bounce/grind combinations. Among the models is the 56•10º S grind, played by Spieth and many tour players around the world. 

As part of WedgeWorks, every SM5 Raw wedge can be customized, including personalized stamping in up to six characters and one of 12 paintfill colors. Golfers can also choose from an industry-leading selection of shafts, grips, shaft bands and ferrules. 

SPIN MILLED 5 PERFORMANCE: Vokey Design SM5 wedges are the best performing wedges in the game, a result of Bob Vokey's decades of research and collaborating with the world's best players combined with the Titleist R&D team's development of proprietary Spin Milled technology. Since 2004, Vokey Design wedges have been the #1 wedge on the PGA Tour and the most played wedge at every level of competitive golf. 

Vokey SM5 wedges are designed with deep Spin Milled TX3 grooves that deliver maximum spin for precision trajectory and distance control and improved greenside performance. TX3 grooves produce additional backspin by channeling away grass and sand for improved contact between the ball and groove edge. Spin Milled technology also provides trajectory and distance control through precisely milled grooves and machined face texture, significantly reducing the chance of “flyers” from the rough. 

TOUR-PROVEN SOLE GRINDS: Every sole grind in the SM5 family has been derived from Bob Vokey's work with the best players in the world. 

The M grind, Vokey's original tour grind, is a versatile design currently played by many tour pros including Jimmy Walker and Charley Hoffman. The M grind has a crescent-shaped sole with relief in the heel, toe and trailing edge. This provides a forward bounce surface suitable for square shots while the relief encourages shotmaking by allowing players to rotate the face open without the leading edge coming off the ground. The moderate effective bounce makes it playable in a variety of short-game conditions.

The S grind was inspired by Steve Stricker, who likes to play his wedges in a square position, with minimal wrist action, and the shaft neutral or leaning away from the target. The full sole with moderate heel relief and a medium ribbon ground along the trailing edge provides stability for full shots, additional bounce for bunker play and the versatility to hit different types of shots around the green. 

The K Grind was born out of Vokey's work with several players, including Adam Scott and Jason Dufner. The K grind has a wider, more cambered sole than any other Vokey model. The wide sole makes this wedge very easy to use out of the bunker, while the camber enhances the playability for a variety of shots around the green. 

PERSONALIZATION AND CUSTOMIZATION: SM5 Raw wedges can be given the tour-level treatment through WedgeWorks with an extensive selection of custom options. 

Personalized hand-stamping is available in up to six letters and/or numbers and one of 12 paintfill colors. Characters are stamped in one of three styles – Straight, Freestyle or Snow (two-character limit). 

Golfers can also choose from seven different custom shaftbands and three ferrule options. 

BV custom grips, available in a variety of textures and colors to match a player's look and feel preferences, are exclusive to WedgeWorks. 

A high-performance shaft matrix includes wedge-specific shafts such as the Dynamic Gold Spinner and KBS Hi-Rev. The full complement of the Titleist custom shaft matrix is also available including graphite and lightweight shafts. WedgeWorks wedges can be laser etched on the shaft with up to 20 characters or numbers, offering an easy way to highlight a birthday, event or a player's full name.   

All Vokey Design wedges can be adjusted for length, loft and lie angle. Weight porting on the back of the wedge to dial in a specific swingweight is also available. 

SM5 RAW LOFT/BOUNCE/GRIND MATRIX: 

54º: 54.10 S, 54.10 M 
56º: 56.10 S, 56.10 M 
58º: 58.07 S, 58.08 M, 58.11 K 
60º: 60.07 S, 60.08 M, 60.11 K 

*Note: SM5 Raw S and K grind models are RH only. 

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY: Vokey Design SM5 Raw wedges are available beginning July 8 through WedgeWorks on Vokey.com or by custom order, starting at $180 plus personalization. 

ON THE WEB: http://www.vokey.com/ 

WEDGE SELECTION GUIDEhttp://www.vokey.com/wedge-selection/wedge-selection-guide.aspx 

5808_m_grind.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Adegi

• By Ryan Pb
      Have been going through a complete overhaul of my bag the last 2 seasons. 
      Have upgraded Driver, 3 wood (both Cobra)
      irons just this year with some custom fit M5s
      now looking to upgrade wedges and putters
      Im about a 13 handicap. But have been always been a better than average putter. 
      Looking for a new Blade style putter. Read the recent testing review article but just wanted to see if anyone had any personal recommendations or feed back. 
      Wedges I am open to anything although I have been playing with a 56 and 60 degree last few years. 
      Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. 
    • By cksurfdude
      Saw this in a newsletter from On Core; TK "keeping it real" on what most am players should (or not) be looking for in their wedges.......
      http://www.golfwrx.com/552364/the-wedge-guy-a-discussion-of-bounce/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Trending&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      Press Release from Titleist
      TITLEIST EQUIPMENT UPDATE: The Honda Classic 

According to Darrell Survey, for the third time this season, Titleist achieved the feat of sweeping every major equipment category at a PGA TOUR event - this time it is The Honda Classic - and by looking at the counts, the choice is overwhelmingly clear. 

From golf balls, to drivers, fairway and hybrids, and irons to wedges and putters, the Titleist brand is the overwhelming field favorite as the Tour moves from the west coast to the Florida swing. 

>  Titleist is the top choice in golf balls with 112 players in the field of 144 - that's 78 percent of the field and seven times the nearest competitor with 16. 

>  One out of every three drivers in the field is a Titleist with 48 (33%) in play this week - that's 16 more than the nearest competitor with 32. 
      > The Titleist TS3 continues to be the most played single driver model on the PGA TOUR with 29, nearly double the next closest driver model with 15. 
      > The Titleist TS3 is also the most played driver on the European Tour again this week with 29. That's 20 percent of the field playing that single model. 

> Titleist irons also accounted for nearly one-third of the field with 46 (32%) sets in play - 21 more sets than the nearest competitor. 
      > The Titleist 718 MB (20) and the 718 AP2 (14) are the top two most played iron models this week. 
      > Titleist Brand Ambassador Peter Malnati is playing the 718 AP2 Black irons (5-9) that were recently released. Malnati was shipped the irons to his home in Tennessee during his off week but never got a chance to practice with them because of inclement weather. It was the only set he brought with him to the Honda Classic and worked them into his bag this bag this week. He joins Cam Smith as the two Titleist players putting the new AP2 Black models in play. 

> More than half of all wedges in the field this week (220/55%) are of the Vokey Design variety. The nearest competitor has 60 wedges in play. 

> Scotty Cameron putters are the overwhelming field favorite this week with 54 (38%) in play, 14 more than the nearest competitor. 
      > More players on the PGA TOUR rely upon Scotty Cameron putters than any other brand and tops the Tour in wins with 4 this season. 

> Titleist equipment counts at The Honda Classic vs. the Nearest Competitor (NC): 

GOLF BALLS: 
      TITLEIST - 112 (78%) 
      NC - 16 (11%) 

DRIVERS: 
      TITLEIST - 48 (33%) 
      NC - 32 (22%) 

FAIRWAYS: 
      TITLEIST - 56 (31%) 
      NC - 37 (20%) 

HYBRIDS: 
      TITLEIST - 25 (39%) 
      NC - 17 (27%) 

IRONS: 
      TITLEIST - 46 (32%) 
      NC - 25 (17%) 

WEDGES: 
      TITLEIST - 220 (55%) 
      NC - 60 (15%) 

PUTTERS: 
      TITLEIST - 54 (38%) 
      NC - 40 (28%) 

• By edingc
      I received these wedges a few weeks ago from the Golfworks, and I thought I better post something since I had asked for opinions about them in another thread. I'll do my best to make this as real of a review as possible.
      I ordered 54-degree mid-sole and 60-degree wide sole M+ Series wedges with regular shafts from Golfworks for my birthday. I have completely rebuilt my bag over the past few months. Prior to owning these wedges, I only played with a 50-degree gap wedge from my old iron set and a 56-degree Nike SV Tour wedge that was almost exclusively used for flop type shots.
      The gap wedge in my Wilson C300 irons is 48 degrees, so these fit in six-degree increments from my irons.
      These were part of what Golfworks calls "Club Paks," which are grips, shafts, ferrules and heads sold for cheaper than the individual component cost. They also come with free assembly if you so desire. I opted for free assembly as I don't have my golf workshop fully setup (or even stocked!) yet.
      Golfworks offers three different sole widths (tour, mid, wide) from 50 degrees to 62 degrees in two degree increments. The packs offer a choice of regular or stiff shaft and undersize, standard, midsize or oversize grip.
      The package I purchased included the wedge head, a KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 regular flex wedge shaft, ferrule and a standard Lamkin Crossline grip. Each package cost $52.99. For two wedges, with taxes and shipping, I paid $123.99 total, or about $62 each. 
      First, some pictures for those interested. Please note these pictures were taken after an indoor range session. The ball marks were not there when purchased!

Customer Service and Shipping
      I placed the order in mid-January, requesting free assembly and the clubs to be assembled to +1/2" from the Golfworks standard. The C300s are +1/2" from standard Golfworks lengths as well, so by opting to make the wedges a little longer they fit into the C300 lengths.
      Almost immediately I received a call from someone at Golfworks confirming I was requesting the clubs be built longer than their normal standard. I unfortunately missed this call and neglected to check my voicemail for more than a week. Whoops. Thankfully, within the next week someone else reached out to me and this time I caught the message.
      After calling to confirm the length, I also received a follow up email confirming my build specs. On this email I was able to request the grip be placed logo up and the shaft label to be placed logo down. Once the order was released to the club builders, it took only a day or two for it to ship Priority Mail, and then just another two days to receive the clubs.
      The clubs were securely packaged in transport and were received in perfect condition.
      Build Quality
      These seem to be built very well for the price. The heads look very finished. The black DBM finish Golfworks uses is very nice, and it is supposed to hold up much better than PVD. The grips were put on straight and the Crosslines feel as expected (the C300s come stock with Crosslines as well). Perhaps the only thing I could say is that the ferrules were not buffed to a perfectly smooth surface. Small gripe, I know.
      Size / Shape / Etc.
      I don't feel I am overly picky with wedges. The head shape seems traditional, not too big or small, and fits my eye fine. Black finish is matte and shouldn't cause any problems with glare.
      I opted for the wide sole 60-degree wedge as an "easy to swing" option from the sand or close to the green. You cannot really open the 60-degree up because of the wide sole. Until I can get out on the course and actually play, I don't know how this will affect my use of this club. I do think it will be very nice from thick rough as the wider sole should help keep the club face from being grabbed too much.
      The mid-sole 54-degree wedge has the perfect sole width for what I envision its use to be -- nearly full swing shots from the fairway. It feels more like my short irons than a "blade-y" wedge.
      I would probably opt for the mid-sole on the 60-degree wedge if I could go back in time.
      Feel / Playability
      I got a chance to hit a few range balls two weekends ago. I don't particularly care for hitting wedges from mats, but I probably hit 10 balls or so with each club. As you may be able to see in the pictures, I had a few poor strikes and a few good ones.
      The new grooves and milled face definitely shredded some cover off of the balls. I am still working on some swing changes, so there were some ugly hooks mixed in, but I was impressed with the ease of which the Hi-Revs launched and the stopping power. Using the 60-degree wedge I was able to get a ball to stay on the ice-covered 70-yard green, impressive to say the least.
      I was also able to hit the 54-degree wedge consistent in the 70-100 yard range, which is my expected use case.
      Because I ordered these +1/2", they come in a little heavier than standard specs. Based on my cheap Golfworks scale, they both are about at D6 swingweight. For comparison, my C300s are D2 across the set.
      I won't be able to play outdoors for another few weeks at the earliest, but I am excited to get these into real action.
      Final Thoughts (For now...)
      I think these are an excellent value for $62, especially given the more expensive shaft option. They do have cheaper "pak" options with this head in the $40 range as well. I doubt there is a ton of reason to spend more on a wedge. 
      Golfworks also routinely runs a free shipping promotion on orders greater than $60, so you can save a couple more dollars by waiting for that as well.
      My biggest concern at this point is whether the regular flex shafts were too soft of a choice, though I won't know for sure until I get out on the course.
    • By cksurfdude
      Matt Saternus (used to be with MGS) of PluggedInGolf.com posted an interesting article...
      "Do wedge shafts matter?"
      https://pluggedingolf.com/do-wedge-shafts-matter-golf-myths-unplugged/
      He tested in a similar style to MGS using a variety of recreational players and identical wedge heads with different shafts, then swapping them among the players and having them hit different short game shots. Results are measured by Trackman at a Club Champion.
      The questions he was looking to "Confirm" or "Bust" include...
      Myth #1 – A wedge shaft can create more spin
      Myth #2 – A wedge shaft can change launch angle
      Myth #3 – A wedge shaft can improve accuracy
      Myth #4 – A wedge shaft can improve consistency
      Myth #5 – The same shaft will fit all your wedges
      Interesting and informative article .. worth a look!
      https://pluggedingolf.com/do-wedge-shafts-matter-golf-myths-unplugged/
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!