Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golfworks bending machine

Regarding this item:

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GW0053_A_Economy+Iron+Bending+Machine_A_c2p_E_cs

I just grabbed one used from someone on craigslist.  It does the job pretty well.  It came with a bending bar from golfworks.  I had some successfull bending with some forged iron but not cast iron.   The problem the bending bar left a nasty mark on the hosel.  I don't want to buy another bending bar.   Is there a proven method so it doesn't leave mark on the hosel?

Sorry, this is the 1st bending machine I ever own.  So let me know more specific details (Step by step) because I just did a 30 minutes practice with some iron for the 1st time.  

Never used that machine before, hope it works out well for you! As for the marring of the head, pretty much a given that you're going to leave some marks. However, if you're not using a non-marring bar or something other than brass you're screwed and are going to leave marks every time. I don't know what mine is called, but the point of contact with the head is brass and sometimes will leave small marks, but nothing bad. Once the bar is on the head you don't want to move it around and ideally youd like to achieve the proper loft and lie in one bend. Least attempts the better.

A brass jawed adjustable bar (I like Mitchell's product) is an awesome addition. As far as marring, you can make it where it doesn't happen, but it's painstakingly slow. Worth it if you're tedious like me. I always tape the hosel a up with blue painters tape and then use a thin strip of leather that I wrap around the hosel before putting the bending bar on. Have yet to mar a hosel

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks for your feedbacks guys.  Someone said about a hosel brass protector....  does it do anything to protect the hosel?   It could be the cheapest solution for me....

Also I did tried to use some masking tape on the hosel.  The bending bar couldn't slide down the hosel because of tapes....LOL! 

They make bending bars with brass jaws. That's what we refer to

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It will, yes. But you have to put more tape. If you have the thicker build up tape it works great. And is easier to peel afterward and doesn't take as much to protect. I just add the thin suede as an extra precaution. I thought about epoxying it to the bending bar's jaws, but I'm afraid it'll eventually wear out

In The Bag

No one said hosel brass protector. They're talking about the jaws on the bending bar.

huh?  I'm the one who's asking.... My Q: Does the brass shim can do the job?   I'm not buying another bending bar...

I could just go to home depot and buy some of those...

You keep referring to someone mentioning brass hosel protector. But no one did other than you.

If you find some brass that will fit in there between the bar and club, it sounds like a good idea. The bar I have has brass rollers with grooves machined in to match the diameter of different hosels. It spreads the load across a large area so no mark is left. I don't need to put anything in between. I just have to make sure each roller is seated properly before bending.

You keep referring to someone mentioning brass hosel protector. But no one did other than you.

If you find some brass that will fit in there between the bar and club, it sounds like a good idea. The bar I have has brass rollers with grooves machined in to match the diameter of different hosels. It spreads the load across a large area so no mark is left. I don't need to put anything in between. I just have to make sure each roller is seated properly before bending.

OK thanks.  Yep I should't have quoted someone's comment.  It's a totally different question from the feedbacks....

I'm going to some hardware stores this weekend. 

I wouldn't use brass pieces loose, I'd think they'd slide around and scratch things. I'd buy leather strips, I prefer suede because it's got a little texture to it. If you're investing in a loft lie machine, though, I'd spend the extra on a quality bending bar. The one that comes with the golfworks machines is shorter than most bending bars as well (I called and asked Golf Mechanix about it as they make it) and you're going to have to really get into it bending clubs. The quality bending bar is going to be longer and require less effort and will protect the clubs more

In The Bag

I wouldn't use brass pieces loose, I'd think they'd slide around and scratch things. I'd buy leather strips, I prefer suede because it's got a little texture to it. If you're investing in a loft lie machine, though, I'd spend the extra on a quality bending bar. The one that comes with the golfworks machines is shorter than most bending bars as well (I called and asked Golf Mechanix about it as they make it) and you're going to have to really get into it bending clubs. The quality bending bar is going to be longer and require less effort and will protect the clubs more

No the seller gave me a non golfworks bending bar (probably custom made).  It has no brand marking on it and it's pretty long (almost 20 inches).   But it's not the brass jawed bar that you mentioned.

I'm gonna try with the brass shim first.  I just bought some today.  If the marks still appear, then I will buy the golfmechanix bending bar.  I like their website better than mitchell. 

I'm interested on the 150612 bending bar, what do you think about this one?

http://www.golfmechanix.com/Items.asp?Pdts=15

This is the one I would recommend. No marks as long as you're careful to get the grooves seated correctly on the hosel before putting pressure on it.

http://m.golfsmith.com/product/30029125/golfsmith-high-strength-bending-bar

Is this bar the same as 15025 on this page?  Since I know golfsmith got their clubmaking tools from golfmechanix anyway....

http://www.golfmechanix.com/Items.asp?Pdts=15

It says for short hosel..... but will it work for standard forged irons?   Malbty forged irons, Mizunos...

Make sure to check prices. I found GolfMechanix was more expensive than GolfWorks and GolfSmith for the exact same equipment in several instances, especially when you add on their shipping charges

In The Bag

Make sure to check prices. I found GolfMechanix was more expensive than GolfWorks and GolfSmith for the exact same equipment in several instances, especially when you add on their shipping charges

yep... but I like their products.  I prefer ebay anyway....

yep... but I like their products.  I prefer ebay anyway....

That's what I'm saying, the identical one that golfmechanix sells that is branded as GolfSmith/GolfWorks (they're all GolfMechanix equipment, they make them for GS and GW) is cheaper via other avenues in some instances.  That's like WalMart, KMart and Target all selling the identical item with one being cheaper than the others.  

In The Bag

That's what I'm saying, the identical one that golfmechanix sells that is branded as GolfSmith/GolfWorks (they're all GolfMechanix equipment, they make them for GS and GW) is cheaper via other avenues in some instances.  That's like WalMart, KMart and Target all selling the identical item with one being cheaper than the others.  

OK.   I just bought a measuring gauge from them.  Arrived this afternoon.  I compared the lie of my irons between the gauge and the golfworks bending machine.   I have a digital protractor to measure the lie.  The lie gauge on the golfworks bending machine is dead accurate to a 1/2 degree.  So I don't understand why people are saying those bending machine measuring gauge is not accurate.  For the price, it has the best value if you are a hobbyist.  

Is Golfmechanix a taiwanese company?  Or is it from somewhere else?   I know that they are shipping from taiwan and that's why the shipping cost is higher. 

The mechanix has no after sales service whatsoever.  I sent some emails a couple of times asking the product I bought recently and they never replied back. 

Archived