TESTERS WANTED! ×

Adding lead tape to a shaft

I recently installed a shaft into a fairway wood and immediately realized it was much too light. I am eventually going to swap it out for a heavier shaft but in the mean time I was wondering if I could just add lead tape to the shaft. I like the feel of the shaft, it is just too light for the club head it is in. I searched the site and didn't see any topics on adding lead tape to shafts to increase their weight. 

I have heard that adding tape to the shaft near the hosel weakens tip stiffness just slightly and was thinking that I would add tape near the hosel, in the middle of the shaft and just under the grip. Hopefully this will keep the shafts characteristics true and allow me to add some weight at the same time. 

I have never seen someone add lead tape to a shaft that I can think of(usually just the head) so I'm not sure what it will do. Any thoughts from those more knowledgeable members may be helpful to some of us trying to learn. If this little experiment doesn't work out then all I'm out is some lead tape, so no big deal. Thanks in advance for any info on the subject. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Very simple- I've had it under the grip a few times. I have also known of guys who would put it in a couple key locations on the shaft, but they were total headcases.

If you're doing it temporarily I would put a ring or two below the graphics and then a ring or two just below the grip and see if that helps. Start slow and go light so that you don't waste any tape or go crazy and have a donut on the shaft a la on deck circle.

haha wasn't planning on going too wild. I don't care what it looks like because its gonna be on a 5w that will only make an appearance on certain courses, certain days. And even then I will only be using it every couple of rounds. 

Remember that depending on where you place the lead tape, the overall swing weight (i.e. balance) can be altered. Adding lead tape to the head has the biggest effect simply because it's the furthest point away during the swing and the easiest to "feel". It can also effect the overall flex cpm slightly depending on the weight added.

Weighting at the butt end will counterbalance the club slightly but will be the hardest to detect because it is nearest to the fulcrum of your swing (i.e. your hands)

Placing a few grams on the shaft just below the grip (a la Charlie Hoffman?) is usually the best compromise of the two in order to maintain an acceptable swing weight whilst maintaining flex and head feel.

Remember that depending on where you place the lead tape, the overall swing weight (i.e. balance) can be altered. Adding lead tape to the head has the biggest effect simply because it's the furthest point away during the swing and the easiest to "feel". It can also effect the overall flex cpm slightly depending on the weight added.

Weighting at the butt end will counterbalance the club slightly but will be the hardest to detect because it is nearest to the fulcrum of your swing (i.e. your hands)

Placing a few grams on the shaft just below the grip (a la Charlie Hoffman?) is usually the best compromise of the two in order to maintain an acceptable swing weight whilst maintaining flex and head feel.

So putting tape on multiple points of the shaft is a bad idea to keep from altering the shaft flex and swing weight? I figured it would balance it out that way?

Putting tape on multiple points would create "nodes" that screw up the shaft cpm profile. If you want to spread the weight over a larger area, then there's nothing wrong with placing a strip about 12-18" long along the length of the underside of the shaft. Again, the lead tape placed in this way does deaden the harmonics of the shaft a little bit (not as much as multiple placement though) but is a solution to add deadweight to the overall build without upsetting the swing weight scale too much.

That makes perfect sense! I just needed you to dumb it down for me. Thanks again for the help!

There is always some good info to be had around here.

Archived