Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

How often do you get "the shanks"?

dhayse32

Hoselitis is a PITA.  I get it atleast once a season and it is miserable.  I have walked off the course after only a few holes because I know what the rest of the round will be like.  It is as if you forgot how to play all together.  Almost everyone I play with goes through it for a round or two and POOF, it vanishes as fast as it came...

Anyone else deal with this dreaded disease????? 

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

It happened to me last year and a range session cleared it up. Hasn't happened this year, knock on wood. I think it was something simple in my setup position that was causing the problem.

At the same time, I think it's as much mental as it is anything else. If you're thinking about hitting the hosel before you swing, that's what your mind focuses on. Same idea with hazards. If you're thinking about hitting it into the water, guess where it's probably going to end up.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Never had major issues with them on the course, just once in 20 or so years.

I'll chuck a rogue one into the mix from nowhere, but that'll be it.

But sometimes when practicing I'll hit 6 or 7 on the spin - have to go to a quarter swing and then build it back up.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

For years I had a professional meeting every July that alternated East Coast - West Coast and they had a scramble tournament on the Sunday before the meeting started.  Everyone submitted their HCP and this friend of mine put together the teams; each team having an A, B, C, and D player.  (My team won 3 times by the way!)  However, in June I always got them, but when I got to the tournament I was fine... until last year.  Something happened.  I got them in June and they never went away!  Not every time I played, but often enough to make me mad.  

I would go to the range and hit a bucket of wedge shots (they always start with the wedge, but I can do it with a 5-iron too).  No shanks.  Go to the course and they would start on the 3rd hole for some reason.  If I was playing a match, I would be fine until about #17 for some reason.  I guess I was focusing more than during a casual round.  

I think they are a symptom of a swing flaw.  Probably a little mental thrown in, but its from not doing something right.  I have studied all the various reasons why shanks happen, but the drills that were shown never seemed to do it for me.  One drill did work for awhile; I would place a 2x4 on the ground with a ball just off the edge of it.  I used an old wedge, not my SCORs!  A few times hitting that board, and I will be swinging from inside fairly quickly.  However, it didn't last.  Back on the course, still a problem.  

My swing is not typical for most golfers.  I have bought into the Moe Norman single plane swing method because it fixed my wicked slice.  I was watching a Moe Norman video the other day and I think I have found out what my problem has been.  Apparently, I have a swing flaw where I bend my knees slightly forward on the downswing causing the heel of the club to be further away than at address.  I have also struggled lately with my driver because I am hitting heel shots; same problem, different club.  I believe that I developed this because my back knee has been hurting from the extra stress placed on it following replacement of the other knee.  I spent a day at the range focusing on my trail leg not bending, and I haven't hit a shank in the last 3 rounds that I have played.  In fact all wedges have been right in the sweet spot; driver too and I picked up some of the distance that I lost!  I can't say for sure that they are gone, but I certainly have more confidence that I am going to hit a decent shot, and I have at least an inkling of the cause and cure for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hoselitis is a PITA.  I get it atleast once a season and it is miserable.  I have walked off the course after only a few holes because I know what the rest of the round will be like.  It is as if you forgot how to play all together.  Almost everyone I play with goes through it for a round or two and POOF, it vanishes as fast as it came...

Anyone else deal with this dreaded disease????? 

I feel your pain. I've been fighting it for a few weeks, now. I think I'm over it and then it starts again. It sucks and I just want to put the clubs away for the rest of the season........ but I'm way too stubborn for that! B)

I debated not posting here purely out of superstition but the answer is no.... I have shanked maybe a few in my life on the course. May have one every 5 range sessions but that's because of not taking my time.

A friend I play with had them so bad a couple months ago. It was hard to play with him. I shuttered every time he did it too bc I once got a bad case of the yips in baseball. It was so miserable...

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Hopefully I didn't jinx myself by starting this thread...I have been shank free for a while now, but I can say they cost me big time in the past.

A few years back I played in my local course championship.  Tied for the lead in the middle of the fairway on 18 and hoseled my second shot into a creek. 

I used to get sooooo angry, but it is all mental.  Yes, I know there is a setup/swing flaw in there, but you can't shank one and just forget about it on your next shot...it sticks with you for a little bit, then it's gone. 

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

It was worse for me when people would advance out in front of me to my right. I could see them there and even if they are out of play for a normal shot, I would launch one towards them. It got to the point that I would ask people to stay back for their safety! When that's in your mind, it's hard to shake.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It can happen at the end of a round when I am tired, and fall forward or lunge at the ball when coming on the downswing. Also when grip pressure increases at the end of a round. Other than that got checkpoints for set up now and have really cut down on that.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I've hit a few hanks in my life. (refuse to say the word). I've never had them constantly enough to throw away a round. However, they do make enough appearances that I know they may suddenly spring up outta nowhere.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

About 10 years ago, I was visiting a friend of mine in Phoenix and we played Ocotillo GC, a Troon course in Chandler.  There is a LOT of water on that course!!  I hit a great drive on the first hole, then proceeded to shank my second into the water.  After losing 3 balls doing the same, I ended up playing the rest of the round using a hybrid for anything off the grass!  That was the worse round.  The next day... no problem!  Go figure.

I dont get it very often, maybe once or twice a year.  Getting back to the basics (stance, posture, grip, takeaway) seems to clear it up.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Once this year. Very early on in the season. Was about 15 yards off the green on the left side of the fairway. Took a big swing with my lob wedge and sent my ball straight right, over the fairway and into the driving range. Hit it OB from 15 yards off the green. Later that round I was probably 50 yards off, was trying to one hop stop my SW onto a BIG BIG green. Hit it straight right into the lake, got mad dropped another ball right down and did the same thing .... Hit 4 balls in a row into the lake trying to get it right. 

I've found when it happens its because my swing is getting too steep. Simple fix. 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

Never had them for years.  Then about 10 years ago, one every now and then would creep in on a full shot.  Now...different story.  I shanked 4 chip shots last Saturday, 2 on Monday.  Have not played since.  

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

I simply don't have this problem.

But I have enough other problems to make up for it.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I simply don't have this problem.

But I have enough other problems to make up for it.

Same here

Same here

But I can hook the ball 40-50 yards with ease.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

But I can hook the ball 40-50 yards with ease.

I have a 2 way miss going on right now that's killing me. I feel your pain

What's a shank?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 3 weeks later...

Never

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I got one a little off the hosel this weekend while 3 under at the time. I blame this thread... Went on to make bogey that hole.

I get the shanks with my chips sometimes. Usually because I'm choking the ever loving s*** out of the club.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

I hadn't shanked a ball in oh 15 years, this goddamned post appears and I've had two shanks on consecutive days.  Who the hell puts up a post like this and inspires shankdom to appear! :mad:  Of course the first thing I think about after said shanks is this bloody post.

​

Some people are going to have a lot to answer for come judgement day is all I can say!

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

• 1 month later...

Oh man I have had them so bad for the last 4 months with my irons seriously! I hit my driver an avg. 300 yrds. and my 5 wood 230-240 yrds. with a slight draw I never hit my 3 wood very good so I rarely play it , but put an iron in my hand and its shank city. I have lost all confidence in swing with the irons as soon as I get over the ball over. Had my  daughters swing coach help me out but then they creep back as soon as I get to the course.

• 2 weeks later...

Dhayes, you have my complete sympathy. I went thru 6 months of hell early this year and was ready to quit golf forever. I was shanking every iron, every shot. I'd hit a great drive and shank a wedge into the woods. Instead of low 80s, I'd shoot upper 90s. I tried a lot of cures, but the best was to take a few lessons. Before you can cure the disease, you need a proper diagnosis. There are 3 types of shank, and if you don't know what's causing yours, you can't be sure of the cure. Mine still bite me once in a while. Good luck and God bless. Know you're a better golfer than this.

Per my research, here are the three types of shank.

1. Hosel hits the ball instead of clubface. The face is pretty square, but somehow your upper body lunged closer to the ball, so the hosel strikes the ball.

2. Your toe of you club is catching the inside edge of the ball, shooting it off to the right. This type is rare.

3. Because you're trying to create lag, you're releasing the club too late. You're actually leading with the hosel as you swing down, so you're exposing the hosel instead of the face.

#3 was my problem. My pro said for me to start my release from the top of the swing, practically like casting. It feels weird, but gives me confidence I won't shank. I also set up with the ball on my toe, because I tend to lunge at the ball as well. These fixes has brought my game back. Hope this helps.

Archived