Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What is the strongest/weakest part of your game?

dhayse32

What part of your game are you most confident in?  Which parts need improving? 

Starting thinking about this last round as my wedge game continued to save me shot after shot.  I leave myself several just-off-the-green shots that I need to get up and down to save pars.  My 50/54/58 Vokeys are game savers. 

On the opposite end of that, off the tee I leave myself tough approach shots.  I get in grooves from time to time, but more often then not I find myself punching out or having "less than desirable" approach shots!

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

I'm putting pretty well, its making up for my god awful driving and long iron game. 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

The course and tees played dictate what is the strongest and weakest part of my game.  When the course is tight and fairly short, then accuracy driving and approach shots help my score.  If its playing long, then I have to make up strokes with my short game which is pretty good most of the time (except on Bermuda grass).   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've been streaky most of the season, and seems like when one part of my game is working well, something else falls off...  That said, my chipping has cost me more strokes over the season than anything else.

Wedge fitting scheduled for 1p Friday while I'm in the Twin Cities.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

30-75 yds is my nemesis. Once I get to 75, it's a solid 3/4 wedge. But the delicate feel swing that the shorter shots require always get me. And I practice them regularly. But consistently getting them within 6-10ft like I should doesn't happen.

This.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

My strongest part of my game is also my weakest and that would be my driving.  When it's on I score well and it spreads to the rest of my game including my ball striking.  When it is off I score badly.  My short game comes to my rescue usually but lately not so much.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Strongest part of my game is usually the driver. That has been streaky this year. Putting has always been my weakest part. I seem to find new and creative ways to miss putts for par. I don't know why I can't get them to drop. I'm always "right there", but they just seem to stay out.

My putting is the steadiest part of my game. Mostly a 2 putter with 1's peppered around and only the occasional 3 thrown in.

Weakest is my driver, when it's on I actually play everything a lot better, but when it's off, like most of the time, it speads like a disease to the rest of my game.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

What part of your game are you most confident in? Which parts need improving?

Starting thinking about this last round as my wedge game continued to save me shot after shot. I leave myself several just-off-the-green shots that I need to get up and down to save pars. My 50/54/58 Vokeys are game savers.

On the opposite end of that, off the tee I leave myself tough approach shots. I get in grooves from time to time, but more often then not I find myself punching out or having "less than desirable" approach shots!

Have you tried playing a long iron from the tees, I too have been struggling from the tee, so the last round I employed my 5 iron from a few of the more difficult par 4's, from the tee I can get around 215-220 and with a good bounce and roll out around 230. I have really been striking all of my irons well, 5-ow, so my thought was to give myself any iron shot into the green and I will be able to get on.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Best part of my game is looking good before I tee off.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Strong - driving distance and accuracy.  I'm not the longest guy at the club by any means, but I can get it out there and I hit my share of fairways. 

Weakest - wedge play.  Chunks or weak off the toe.  I have been working hard to correct this (and the Hogan wedges help) but this is the part of the game that costs me the most strokes. 

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

Great topic!

The weakest part of my game is a three way tie-

1. Accuracy off the tee

2. Distance control with the wedges

3. Bunker play

* All three of these could get tidied up pretty easily if I actually practiced them.

If ball striking is what it sounds like- solid, center face contact,- then I'd say that's easily the best part of my game. Iron shots are usually pin high, driver center face, etc.

For years my strength was off the tee being long and fairly straight. Early part of the year I struggled a lot off the tee until I put a 915 D3 in the bag and the long game is back. Ball striking is always solid and my short game is above average. Now if I could only keep that putter from going cold I would be set.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Good question. It's usually a combo of iron/putting or driver and chipping. I'll get hot at one of those two and the other will stink on ice. It's a weird thing, but they seem to alternate good or bad rounds.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Great topic!

The weakest part of my game is a three way tie-

1. Accuracy off the tee

2. Distance control with the wedges

3. Bunker play

* All three of these could get tidied up pretty easily if I actually practiced them.

If ball striking is what it sounds like- solid, center face contact,- then I'd say that's easily the best part of my game. Iron shots are usually pin high, driver center face, etc.

BUNKER PLAY! Forgot about that one but I have ZERO confidence in the bunker. I contribute that to not having any practice areas around me to work on that part of the game.  Sounds like a solid excuse to me. 

Good question. It's usually a combo of iron/putting or driver and chipping. I'll get hot at one of those two and the other will stink on ice. It's a weird thing, but they seem to alternate good or bad rounds.

Good point.  Any one part of my game can go wrong at any given time.  I might drive the ball great one day but then 3-putt 10 holes or something stupid.  It is a never ending battle.

Interesting topic and I've enjoyed the answers thus far.  Mine is simple but I'll try to make it sound more complex. :)

Strengths:  Consistency and Course Management

Weaknesses:  Lack of distance

Here's how that might look:

A game will be 13 to 14 fairways hit, 11 plus greens, the up and downs are easy, couple of birdies something in the low 70's (perhaps even high 60's) regardless of how difficult the course is.

C-B (Normal) will include a high number of fairways hit but the GIR's will be off 7-9.  I will get up and down half the time, make a birdie on one of the GIR's and shoot somewhere between 75-79 depending on how difficult the course is.

D and below, I may still hit 8 or 9 fairways, perhaps more, but the wild ones will be hooks or blocks into trouble and since I'm not hitting it flush even the balls in the fairway won't be great.  I may have to lay up on a number of par 4's, won't get the approach close for realistic looks at par so my up and down ratio falls to 25 percent, birdies are unlikely to help offset and I'm going to be north of 80 normally 80-85.

That lack of distance makes it much more difficult for me to recover from a poor shot early in the hole (tee shot or lay up on par 5).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

BUNKER PLAY! Forgot about that one but I have ZERO confidence in the bunker. I contribute that to not having any practice areas around me to work on that part of the game.  Sounds like a solid excuse to me. 

+1 I forgot about that too. I hate bunkers with a passion.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

The one thing that really helped me with bunker play was when I realized I just needed to go for it. Can't finesse a bunker shot unless you are really really good. I step up and try and pound as much sand out of there as I can. Usually works out pretty well.

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

That's my strategy as well Kfilly - that or just don't hit it in a bunker - that works. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Open the blade, think about line about 1inch or 2 behind the ball, that's where the club enters the sand, you know that fat or heavy shot you don't like in he fairway, that's the shot, you must swing through though enough to allow the ball to come out, you don't need a ton of practice, you just have to understand that the ball will come out if you get the club into the sand.i am talking about green side bunkers, fairway bunkers are way different

Open the blade, think about line about 1inch or 2 behind the ball, that's where the club enters the sand, you know that fat or heavy shot you don't like in he fairway, that's the shot, you must swing through though enough to allow the ball to come out, you don't need a ton of practice, you just have to understand that the ball will come out if you get the club into the sand.i am talking about green side bunkers, fairway bunkers are way different

I think the most difficult thing about bunker play is learning to swing hard enough. Same thing holds true for thick rough through the course. Short back fast through around the greens and club face open more upright swing for full shots. (Thick rough that is)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That's my strategy as well Kfilly - don't hit it in a bunker - that works. :)

That's my strategy.

I need a lot of practice with that...my problem is that I tend to hit it too fat.

I think the most difficult thing about bunker play is learning to swing hard enough. Same thing holds true for thick rough through the course. Short back fast through around the greens and club face open more upright swing for full shots. (Thick rough that is)

There's my issue as well.

The one thing that really helped me with bunker play was when I realized I just needed to go for it. Can't finesse a bunker shot unless you are really really good. I step up and try and pound as much sand out of there as I can. Usually works out pretty well.

Thank you gents...I might have to invest in a kiddie pool and fill it with sand.

In the bag:

Bag: 

By opening the blade, you will create more bounce, by using the bounce on the wedge, you can keep from digging in, find a wedge that has high bounce, and it will be much easier as well, as others have said, you have to swing through the ball, it's more of a smooth fluid swing with a good follow through, and trust it.

I feel like when it comes to bunkers, I know what I should do, I just can't commit to doing it! 

Interesting topic and I've enjoyed the answers thus far.  Mine is simple but I'll try to make it sound more complex. :)

That lack of distance makes it much more difficult for me to recover from a poor shot early in the hole (tee shot or lay up on par 5).

This is it in a nutshell for me, and it seems like each year it gets worse.

Stay young!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 4 weeks later...

Would a pressure induced hook count? If not I gotta say long lag putting just because the course I learned on had really small greens so I learned to be real crisp with my irons early on but never could practice those long ones... But honestly I was a spastic 12 year old I probably wouldn't have worked on them much if I could have haha.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Strongest

Irons are very consistent

Weakest

Green side bunkers

Depending on the day, putting is either. I've had 27 putts in a round, and as high as 41. Yes, 41 putts.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I would say penalty shots. a few weeks ago i shot an 86 at the club championship with two water balls and 2 balls OB. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

Archived