Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Mizuno to the rescue?

If the hype about the new MP 25 irons from Mizuno is true my search for irons with feel & "distance" may be over when they are released in September.  Mizuno claim that by using Boron along with their grain forged technology they have been able to add up to 7 yards in distance to the new irons.  The 25's have been released as direct replacements for the MP 54's which as you all no doubt know that is what I am gaming and have been sort of looking for a longer set of clubs without resorting to the game improvement, loft jiggered irons on steroids type club.

The 25's are also apparently more compact than the 54's which apparently appeals more to the better player.  I must admit I've never really understood that angle but to each their own.  Also being released soon is the S series wedges.  These wedges are supposed to be somewhere between a game improvement wedge and your traditionally forged models already part of the Mizuno line.  Wedges are something else I've been sort of looking for too.  I've picked up lots of club whoring techniques since joining this forum and I am thinking of checking into rehab as soon as possible after purchasing a set of MP 25's, and matching S series wedges oh and a cute little Mizuno putter I spotted at the local Muni course pro shop yesterday :lol:

Mizuno-MP-25-1-3.jpg

Mizuno-MP-25-6.jpg

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

I'm in a similar situation, Mizzie.

I want to swap my MP59, not because I need distance, but because I need forgiveness.

But I wasn't a fan of the 850 forged with boron, so don't really know how the MP25 will turn out to be.

At this moment, the AP2 are very high on my list and I'm also a Mizuno die-hard fan!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

They look nice and sound good on paper for sure.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Combo: 5 and 6.............MP 25s

7,8,9, and PW ...............MP 5s

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

It will be interesting to see how they work.  I know that I tried a set of JPX-850 Forged that has a similar forging with boron technology and they were filthy long.  I dont consider myself to be a long-hitter but I was hitting the 7-iron 180 yards and that was with the regular flex shaft.  No joke.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

It will be interesting to see how they work.  I know that I tried a set of JPX-850 Forged that has a similar forging with boron technology and they were filthy long.  I dont consider myself to be a long-hitter but I was hitting the 7-iron 180 yards and that was with the regular flex shaft.  No joke.

It was longer indeed, but when I tried it, I lost some consistency and feel.

Perhaps they solved in in the MP25 line?

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I can't hit a 7 iron 180 yards off the Grand Canyon.

I would top it most likely.

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

It was longer indeed, but when I tried it, I lost some consistency and feel.

Perhaps they solved in in the MP25 line?

Id agree with that.  To me, they didnt feel like Mizunos but then again, none of the JPX line does.  To me, they feel/sound harsh and clicky, like a set of TMAGs.

I fell in love with Mizuno with their, "buttery soft" irons.  The only reason why theres not a set of Mizuno irons in my bag now is because I want something more forgiving than an MP iron and Mizuno doesnt make a JPX iron that feels buttery soft.  If I were in the market for a new set of irons, wanted the longest iron and didnt care, Id probably get a set of TMAGs over the 850 borons because the TMAGs still have longer shafts and would hit the ball farther.  I used to have a set of Burner 2.0s and I rented a set of RBZs last summer and it was kind of funny how filthy long they were.  The AP1s Im gaming now are in that neiborhood too.

IMO, the best GI forged irons Mizuno has ever made were the MX-200s.  Those things were soft and forgiving.  I check on Ebay for a set every now and then but theyre all either all beat up or theyre waaaaay overpriced.  I refuse to pay $500+ for a used set of MX-200s.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Couldn't have said it better, Badger!

But after reading the MP25 article on MGS blog, I'm all pumped-up to try what seems to be an even more forgiving MP iron with extra distance.

Sounds too good to be true, but definitely worth a try.

• 4 weeks later...

I liked MX-23's a little more than the MX-25's or MX-200's.  I still have a set of MX-23's that are worn down until they have brown spots in the middle of each face.

Driver:  :cobra-small: F9 w/Fujikura Motore X F1

3-Wood: :taylormade-small: Sim Ti 16 deg w/Diamana FW 75 Limited

3H: :cobra-small: F9 w/Atmos Black

4H: :cobra-small: F9 w/Atmos Black

5-PW: :cobra-small: Forged Tec w/Nippon Modus 105

51:  :cobra-small: King Mim Tour 

56: :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw

Putter:  :odyssey-small: Triple Track Two Ball

• 6 months later...

they make gorgeous irons

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I'm in a similar situation, Mizzie.

I want to swap my MP59, not because I need distance, but because I need forgiveness.

But I wasn't a fan of the 850 forged with boron, so don't really know how the MP25 will turn out to be.

At this moment, the AP2 are very high on my list and I'm also a Mizuno die-hard fan!

I can't imagine the MP25 will be any more forgiving than the MP59 and the AP2 trumps them both on forgiveness by some margin. You can't argue about their looks though and Mizuno are quite right to stick to the "player" category for their MP line which is what they're all about really. 

I can't imagine the MP25 will be any more forgiving than the MP59 and the AP2 trumps them both on forgiveness by some margin. You can't argue about their looks though and Mizuno are quite right to stick to the "player" category for their MP line which is what they're all about really.

I went with the Apex CF16, even more forgiving than then AP2 :)

Archived