If the hype about the new MP 25 irons from Mizuno is true my search for irons with feel & "distance" may be over when they are released in September.  Mizuno claim that by using Boron along with their grain forged technology they have been able to add up to 7 yards in distance to the new irons.  The 25's have been released as direct replacements for the MP 54's which as you all no doubt know that is what I am gaming and have been sort of looking for a longer set of clubs without resorting to the game improvement, loft jiggered irons on steroids type club.

The 25's are also apparently more compact than the 54's which apparently appeals more to the better player.  I must admit I've never really understood that angle but to each their own.  Also being released soon is the S series wedges.  These wedges are supposed to be somewhere between a game improvement wedge and your traditionally forged models already part of the Mizuno line.  Wedges are something else I've been sort of looking for too.  I've picked up lots of club whoring techniques since joining this forum and I am thinking of checking into rehab as soon as possible after purchasing a set of MP 25's, and matching S series wedges oh and a cute little Mizuno putter I spotted at the local Muni course pro shop yesterday :lol:

Mizuno-MP-25-1-3.jpg

Mizuno-MP-25-6.jpg

I'm in a similar situation, Mizzie.

I want to swap my MP59, not because I need distance, but because I need forgiveness.

But I wasn't a fan of the 850 forged with boron, so don't really know how the MP25 will turn out to be.

At this moment, the AP2 are very high on my list and I'm also a Mizuno die-hard fan!

They look nice and sound good on paper for sure.

Combo: 5 and 6.............MP 25s

7,8,9, and PW ...............MP 5s

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how they work.  I know that I tried a set of JPX-850 Forged that has a similar forging with boron technology and they were filthy long.  I dont consider myself to be a long-hitter but I was hitting the 7-iron 180 yards and that was with the regular flex shaft.  No joke.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see how they work.  I know that I tried a set of JPX-850 Forged that has a similar forging with boron technology and they were filthy long.  I dont consider myself to be a long-hitter but I was hitting the 7-iron 180 yards and that was with the regular flex shaft.  No joke.

It was longer indeed, but when I tried it, I lost some consistency and feel.

Perhaps they solved in in the MP25 line?

It was longer indeed, but when I tried it, I lost some consistency and feel.

Perhaps they solved in in the MP25 line?

Id agree with that.  To me, they didnt feel like Mizunos but then again, none of the JPX line does.  To me, they feel/sound harsh and clicky, like a set of TMAGs.

I fell in love with Mizuno with their, "buttery soft" irons.  The only reason why theres not a set of Mizuno irons in my bag now is because I want something more forgiving than an MP iron and Mizuno doesnt make a JPX iron that feels buttery soft.  If I were in the market for a new set of irons, wanted the longest iron and didnt care, Id probably get a set of TMAGs over the 850 borons because the TMAGs still have longer shafts and would hit the ball farther.  I used to have a set of Burner 2.0s and I rented a set of RBZs last summer and it was kind of funny how filthy long they were.  The AP1s Im gaming now are in that neiborhood too.

IMO, the best GI forged irons Mizuno has ever made were the MX-200s.  Those things were soft and forgiving.  I check on Ebay for a set every now and then but theyre all either all beat up or theyre waaaaay overpriced.  I refuse to pay $500+ for a used set of MX-200s.

• Like 1

Couldn't have said it better, Badger!

But after reading the MP25 article on MGS blog, I'm all pumped-up to try what seems to be an even more forgiving MP iron with extra distance.

Sounds too good to be true, but definitely worth a try.

I liked MX-23's a little more than the MX-25's or MX-200's.  I still have a set of MX-23's that are worn down until they have brown spots in the middle of each face.

I'm in a similar situation, Mizzie.

I want to swap my MP59, not because I need distance, but because I need forgiveness.

But I wasn't a fan of the 850 forged with boron, so don't really know how the MP25 will turn out to be.

At this moment, the AP2 are very high on my list and I'm also a Mizuno die-hard fan!

I can't imagine the MP25 will be any more forgiving than the MP59 and the AP2 trumps them both on forgiveness by some margin. You can't argue about their looks though and Mizuno are quite right to stick to the "player" category for their MP line which is what they're all about really. 

I can't imagine the MP25 will be any more forgiving than the MP59 and the AP2 trumps them both on forgiveness by some margin. You can't argue about their looks though and Mizuno are quite right to stick to the "player" category for their MP line which is what they're all about really.

I went with the Apex CF16, even more forgiving than then AP2 :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    loball21

• By Golfspy_CG2
      In the golf club world, where most companies insist on renaming or launching a new name after one or two iterations of a club, to see a company stick with  a name into the 4th generation....well that must say something about the winning formula they have.   Below is a video from Cleveland Golf on it's RTX4 wedge. 
      Then  we have four members of our forum who are in the process of testing these wedges to see how they perform for their games. See their initial thoughts in the Stage 1 posts below, and follow their on course and on range experiences with them in this thread over the next 4 weeks or so.
      The Four Member Testers are:
      @goaliewales14                              Stage 1                                  Stage 2
      @Apes44                                         Stage 1                                  Stage 2
      @MDGolfHacker                              Stage 1                                  Stage 2
      @Smellis745                                   Stage 1                                 Stage 2  

• By Mudwick
      Howdy! Looking forward to my fitting next week for the new T-Series irons. Currently gaming 7-9 AP2 and 5-6 AP3 and a 4 in the TMB.
      Titleist usually gives their fitters a sheet with blend suggestions (and even loft adjustments recommendations). Has anyone seen this sheet yet? Has anyone been fitted for a blended set? If so, what is your setup?
      Thanks!
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      Lynx Golf announced it's return to the US Market earlier this year.  To help spread the word, Lynx offered up 4 sets of it's Black Cat and 4 sets of it's Prowler VT irons to testers of tMYGolfSpy.   These testers will be sharing their thoughts with you on everything regarding these irons. 
      They'll begin with a bio of themselves and their games so you can see which tester might most resemble your playing ability and some initial thoughts on the looks of the clubs fresh out of the boxes from the UK.  
      Over the next six weeks or so, they will be returning to the thread to share their thoughts and answer any specific questions you may have about the irons, so check back here regularly to see how they are performing for the testers. 

Testers for the Black Cats are
      @knightsofnii                                           Stage 1                         Stage 2
      @JimNantzsToast                                   Stage 1                          Stage 2
      @kardboard.kid                                       Stage 1                          Stage 2              
      @daviddvm                                              Stage 1                         Stage 2

Prowler VT Testers are:
      @Jmikecpa                                             Stage 1                        Stage 2                 
      @JudgeSmails                                       Stage 1                         Stage 2
      @azstu324                                             Stage 1                         Stage 2
      @blackngold_blood                                Stage 1                        Stage 2
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      Shankster and PING Blueprint Irons---A Match Made in Heaven? 
      Every so often we do a special review of a club on MGS.   Usually it's when the OEM provides us with one set or one driver etc for review, it's not practical to open it up to over 500 to 1,000 applications and pick just one person.
      So when the Blueprint review was generously offered by PING with the stipulation it went to a member who was a true low single digit handicap, we discussed as a group who would be an ideal member to reach out to test these beauties. Honestly at least half a dozen names came to mind, but some of them were already involved in a testing or had just completed one.  
      Then one name really jumped out at us,  Shankster.   Not just because he fit the handicap requirement, but if there is any one person on this site who is a more of a traditionalist and prefers the minimalist design in a club than Alan, we don't know who it is.  
      When we reached out to Shankster, it took him about 1 minute to say yes, and that's only because he was recovering from the shock of being asked and making sure he wasn't being punked!     We had to work through the timing of his move from Michigan to Maryland, but all that got sorted out.
      Not knowing exactly when today he'll get his post up, I'll leave you with a few of these.

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Your attention please....
      Let's give a hearty congrats to our Tommy Armour Atomic irons testers:
      @sirchunksalot
      @Tsecor
      @josmi15
      @BigtazzGolf
      @ZenGolfer
      Official announcement here:
      https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/32222-testers-wanted-5-tommy-armour-atomic-irons/?do=findComment&comment=554408

TESTERS WANTED (5)
      if you have been even a casual reader of MyGolfSpy this year, than you are well aware of the accolades that the Tommy Armour brand has been winning in the most wanted categories.  
      Well one of those products is the Tommy Armour Atomic irons which placed first in the distance category of the Game Improvement Most Wanted testing.  With a retail price of $499 for a set of 4-GW, the Atomic irons may turn out to be the best performing--in it's category for distance, and best value irons on the market. 
      Wanna see that distance for yourself?  We're going to give you...well five of you a chance to prove it to yourself and the rest of the forum.

How to Apply
      This is important, so please follow these instructions carefully:

1. If you haven't already, make sure you're a registered MyGolfSpy Forum member
      2. In this thread (and ONLY in this thread - please don't go back to the blog and apply - it won't do you any good!), tell us the following:

- Your first name
      - State
      - Your Handicap
      - The model and distance you hit your current 7 iron
      Lastly but just as importantly
      Please do not 'quote' this post when applying..

Per the manufactures request and due to set makeup.  This review opportunity is open to right-hand golfers who resides in the US.   We'll be announcing the testers in this thread next week, so make sure to check back. 

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!