Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Black & Blue Scotty

GolfSpy_X

This is the first SC I've seen where I've actually thought "I would play THAT!"

Not a knock on SCs, I'm just a center shaft guy, and SC's CS options are limited and not usually very appealing.

Where do I get one?!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• SPY VIP

Does Lamont offer a black Teflon finish? If he does then yeah that would be a great option.

Probably a lot cheaper - with just as good quality - to have this customization done by Lamont! ;)

#TruthDigest

Does Lamont offer a black Teflon finish? If he does then yeah that would be a great option.

He and his brother work with various color polymer finishes ... I believe black is available.

• SPY VIP

Yeah I know they do have black polymer...but teflon is a different animal...and much more expensive typically.

He and his brother work with various color polymer finishes ... I believe black is available.

#TruthDigest

Just had to chime in briefly and say that the putter looks pretty sweet to me. Not sure just what they are considering a "Teflon" finish, but it looks great. As far as my product being a "Polymer", I have to say that when I started using it, I had to find the best way to describe it. "Polymer" may or may not be the best word to describe what it is, but the word works and guys get the picture that it is a baked on finish that is extremely durable, yet thin in application.

I have access to a "polymer" that is not 100% Teflon, but very high levels of it. The product is such that if the finish is not applied right, the first time, there is no way to recoat, unless the entire piece is taken back to raw steel. When you apply Teflon, nothing sticks to it..............NOTHING.

Cool looking piece and it is great to see other company's takes on a black finish.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

PS, the high Teflon product that I have access to is about the same cost as what I currently use. I have spent time learning to get the application right on this one, not sure if the benefits of the higher Teflon coating are worth going through the learning curve, again. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with my tech rep at the company who manufactures the coating I use, when I heard of the newer coating. After a good deal of discussion, it was his opinion, as well that the benefits, when applying the finish to a putter, would be minimal. With the feedback I get on my current finish being what they are, I'll stick with what I use and call it good, for now. I am always looking for that edge, but I have yet to find a superior product.

On another note, how do you imagine that Teflon feels on the face of a putter? The only thing that comes to my mind is a non-stick skillet. Would you think that the Teflon would change the feel of the putter dramatically or just a little?

Let's hear what guys are thinking. It will serve both camps equally well, I am sure.

Oh, and since the matter of cost has been mentioned, can I ask what this conversion and new finish cost the owner?

I still don't like the headshape of the squareback but that putter is sexy, I'd game it.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

I did a bunch of putters in teflon as a test over 10 years ago. Found a few problems with it.

Very hard to remove. The surface of the metal is usually ruined after removing teflon. It can chip so a head cover is mandatory. Paint fill never lasted in the engravings. Expensive. And a personal opinion--the feel was terrible.

That is some good info to have.

Thanks for the heads-up on potential issues with the Teflon. I would think that maybe some advancements had been made in the past ten years, but you never know. Some industries do the research and make better products, some others just rest on their laurels.

I had my suspicions about the feel, but great to hear from someone who has actually rolled a few with one.

Thanks bud,

LaMont in AZ

• SPY VIP

Quite a few advancements have been made LaMont for the Teflon. And quite a few OEM's are looking back into it to be used for their black finishes. The Teflon finish that is now being used is almost indestructable. You can take a knife or keys and scratch it with no markings on the finish. Problem right now is it adds about $10 per club on a medium size run on putters. This is really the reason many are not using as much as they would if the price was quite a bit lower. In regards to feel none of them that I am aware of had much interest in finishing the face so I would have to do some phone calling to some of the designers testing it out and using it to get their feedback about that.

That is some good info to have.

Thanks for the heads-up on potential issues with the Teflon. I would think that maybe some advancements had been made in the past ten years, but you never know. Some industries do the research and make better products, some others just rest on their laurels.

I had my suspicions about the feel, but great to hear from someone who has actually rolled a few with one.

Thanks bud,

LaMont in AZ

#TruthDigest

The Teflon finish that is now being used is almost indestructable. You can take a knife or keys and scratch it with no markings on the finish.

I remember a major putter manufacturer making the same claims about their PVD finish. :D

Archived