Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Looking at the hole... or not

Kenny B

I fel like if I could get to where I average 32-34 putts in a round I would be doing very well for myself, my last round was 40 putts. I have been averaging around 36-37 so knocking off 2-3 putts per round would be ideal, and not too extreme of a goal. I have not really tried looking at the hole while putting, but may give it a try, I don't think I could be much worse, my lag putting is decent, but 10 feet in is an extreme struggle, sometimes I get a good feel for it and ofher times I feel like my hands are made of stone

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Chipping in for 9 doesn't raise much of a smile.....

What are you talking about, doesn't raise much of a smile? If I chip in for a 9 I am laughing and telling everyone how my "short game saved me from embarrassment." Haha

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Sorry guys. I will be getting back to this topic shortly I hope.

On Sunday morning my wife and I were playing with my first teaching pro at a local muni. My round was not that good at ball striking, but it was the 3rd round where I was looking at the hole on putts inside 8 feet or so. Sorry Rev, I tried it from long range and I am much better at lagging looking at the ball. However, on shortish putts, I am doing very well looking at the hole. Even my wife has commented on how many I seem to be making. I sincerely think this is going to work for me. But I still need to spend more time on the practice green.

However, that is now on hold. At the turn on Sunday my phone rang and my Dad, who had a stroke in April if you remember, said my mom had a stroke. So, I headed home to shower, pack, and drive 300 miles in 4.5 hours; it took an hour to drive the 30 miles through traffic around Portland. They won't know for another 48 hours if she is likely to have another one. The good news is that she is moving, talking, eating, and looking better today than yesterday, and the doctors said she may get to come home before the weekend. But she will need a lot of care and Dad hasn't recovered from his stroke 3 months ago. I don't think I will be playing much golf for awhile. It's been a bad year so far.

Best of luck to all in your Club Championships! Let's hear some good news!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good luck to you Kenny.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I average around 30-38 putts a round. If I have a great ball striking/chipping day that total can go into the 20's. If I'm hitting a lot of pars, usually it's a bit higher because my iron game isn't that strong at times.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Sorry guys. I will be getting back to this topic shortly I hope.

On Sunday morning my wife and I were playing with my first teaching pro at a local muni. My round was not that good at ball striking, but it was the 3rd round where I was looking at the hole on putts inside 8 feet or so. Sorry Rev, I tried it from long range and I am much better at lagging looking at the ball. However, on shortish putts, I am doing very well looking at the hole. Even my wife has commented on how many I seem to be making. I sincerely think this is going to work for me. But I still need to spend more time on the practice green.

However, that is now on hold. At the turn on Sunday my phone rang and my Dad, who had a stroke in April if you remember, said my mom had a stroke. So, I headed home to shower, pack, and drive 300 miles in 4.5 hours; it took an hour to drive the 30 miles through traffic around Portland. They won't know for another 48 hours if she is likely to have another one. The good news is that she is moving, talking, eating, and looking better today than yesterday, and the doctors said she may get to come home before the weekend. But she will need a lot of care and Dad hasn't recovered from his stroke 3 months ago. I don't think I will be playing much golf for awhile. It's been a bad year so far.

Best of luck to all in your Club Championships! Let's hear some good news!

I've not been online much the past few days and just read this, you and your familiy are in our prayers, Bro!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Kenny I only just saw your post about your mum.  I hope things are ok mate and I'm thinking of you.

On a happier note I've been playing around with the looking at the hole and like you Kenny am better with it on short putts.  I only really feel comfortable at about 5 feet or less.  I was also watching some video of Jack Nicklaus putting.  Apart from his very uncomfortable looking posture he seems to have his head "behind" and above his line of putt.  I've been applying that to my putting and getting much better results.  Initially it gave me a weird perspective looking down at the ball and it felt like I was taking the putter back shut rather than like the door opening and closing but I think it was an illusion because of my visual perspective.  Of course I could be full of crap too but it seems to work and I've made some serious clutch putts of late to save par and my score. 

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Wow Kenny I only just saw your post about your mum.  I hope things are ok mate and I'm thinking of you.

On a happier note I've been playing around with the looking at the hole and like you Kenny am better with it on short putts.  I only really feel comfortable at about 5 feet or less.  I was also watching some video of Jack Nicklaus putting.  Apart from his very uncomfortable looking posture he seems to have his head "behind" and above his line of putt.  I've been applying that to my putting and getting much better results.  Initially it gave me a weird perspective looking down at the ball and it felt like I was taking the putter back shut rather than like the door opening and closing but I think it was an illusion because of my visual perspective.  Of course I could be full of crap too but it seems to work and I've made some serious clutch putts of late to save par and my score. 

Thanks for the thoughts mate!  Things are going OK for now, but haven't played that much lately.  

I will be getting back to this thread after I spend more time with the putting technique of looking at the hole.  Like you, I am only comfortable now from about 5-6 feet and in.  Longer putts seem to be better looking at the ball, but it might be just a confidence thing and I need to spend more time with it.

Before I changed to my current stance, I putted exactly like Jack.  Why not emulate one of the best, right?  I did this because I am right-eye dominant (discussed in another thread).  I was pretty good with this on long putts judging the distance, but I still 3-putted a lot because I missed the short ones, mostly to the right for some reason.  I spent about a month going back to a square alignment and a SBST pendulum stroke, and eventually got to where I was as good or better than with my old stroke.  However, I would still miss short ones more than I should, and I attributed that to moving my head to look at the cup too soon.  So... now I started the looking at the hole on short putts since Spieth has had good success lately.  For really short putts it has worked out beautifully.   Once I have the line, I can just focus on the speed.  I am making a lot more short putts.  After more practice I will find the distance that feels comfortable for that technique.

Look for more on this with pictures and trying aids that I use.  I will get to that during and after the Nike Converge Forum review.  Stay tuned!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kenny can you remember what the title of the thread on eye dominance was and which forum it's in.  Very interested to read it because I'm left eye dominant and have often wondered about how that would affect the way I played the game.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Kenny can you remember what the title of the thread on eye dominance was and which forum it's in.  Very interested to read it because I'm left eye dominant and have often wondered about how that would affect the way I played the game.

Here you go.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/13150-eye-dominance/

There's no way I could ever look at the hole. I have to stare at a spot on the ball and either listen to it go in or count to three before I look up.

Takes incredible confidence and trust in your stroke to do that in a tournament or when you're making a stroke that really counts. Doesn't take much to look at the hole while you're practicing or playing in your standard foursome.

I have never tried that method of looking at the hole only, but I guess I am close to putting that way I have always kinda turned my head slightly in between the hole and the ball or my target/break line so both are in my peripheral vision.

Archived