Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf ball vs headcover

Fireinthehole

Let me begin by saying, I thought about posting this in the "how did you play" thread,  but I feel it deserved it's own thread. 

yes.

it's own thread so that it can be mocked without mercy.

Well, riding high off a lesson, I decided to take on the nearby monster course. Started off hot🔥🔥🔥

Going birdie-birdie-birdie, step up to the 4th tee box.

Enter #4, a 574yd par 5 dog leg left. Tee shot gets pushed OB trying to play a draw. I absolutely hate playing draws off the tee, but Im trying to learn to love it.

go to my fail safe, low bullet fade! Get amped to punish the next ball up. BUTTTTTT. I forgot that my bag was in front and left of my target line. Next thing I know. 

bing, bang, boom, POW! All 170ish ball speed hits the big bertha 3 wood, headcover now has a 3-4 tear, inspect the 3 wood shaft, there is paint transferred and what looks to be splintering on the shaft....

20150802_184957.png

Of course did not play the 3 wood, but did shoot a 87, which a move in the right direction after a pair of 100s in the club championship. 

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Let me begin by saying, I thought about posting this in the "how did you play" thread,  but I feel it deserved it's own thread. 

yes.

it's own thread so that it can be mocked without mercy.

Well, riding high off a lesson, I decided to take on the nearby monster course. Started off hot

Going birdie-birdie-birdie, step up to the 4th tee box.

Enter #4, a 574yd par 5 dog leg left. Tee shot gets pushed OB trying to play a draw. I absolutely hate playing draws off the tee, but Im trying to learn to love it.

go to my fail safe, low bullet fade! Get amped to punish the next ball up. BUTTTTTT. I forgot that my bag was in front and left of my target line. Next thing I know. 

bing, bang, boom, POW! All 170ish ball speed hits the big bertha 3 wood, headcover now has a 3-4 tear, inspect the 3 wood shaft, there is paint transferred and what looks to be splintering on the shaft....

attachicon.gif20150802_184957.png

Of course did not play the 3 wood, but did shoot a 87, which a move in the right direction after a pair of 100s in the club championship. 

Unlucky. And I believe a two stroke penalty. I've hit golf carts before. One of the funniest was hitting the top of the cart chipping back to the cart. I ended up rolling in a bunker or water off the bounce which made me laugh.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Yep, penalty just to add insult to injury.  I did that once many years ago and swore never to leave my gear remotely close to where I could hit it.  Live and learn as they say.  Funny how club championships bring out the worst in your game.  My Wednesday Club Champs start this Wednesday so I have that to look forward to.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Unlucky. And I believe a two stroke penalty. I've hit golf carts before. One of the funniest was hitting the top of the cart chipping back to the cart. I ended up rolling in a bunker or water off the bounce which made me laugh.

The somewhat silver lining is the ball did not end up in the bag!

My Mixed-Bag:

Yep, penalty just to add insult to injury. I did that once many years ago and swore never to leave my gear remotely close to where I could hit it. Live and learn as they say. Funny how club championships bring out the worst in your game. Mine Wednesday Club Champs start this Wednesday so I have that to look forward to.

Good luck Mizuno! I am trying to get a taste of tournament golf. Have a match play tourney coming up, looking to have netter nerves by then.

My Mixed-Bag:

Know what you mean Fire,  Thos "netter" nerves are vital in tournament golf! :lol:  I know you neant better - meant! :lol:

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Fire its way easier to hit a draw with a 3 wood than driver and sometimes... That's the better play. Ask Troy Merritt. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Fire its way easier to hit a draw with a 3 wood than driver and sometimes... That's the better play. Ask Troy Merritt. :)

This is a +1 here, if I need to draw the ball off the tee, it is definitely 3 wood, so much easier to move the ball with the 3.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Know what you mean Fire, Thos "netter" nerves are vital in tournament golf! :lol: I know you neant better - meant! :lol:

Haha! Great! Have to love my dependence on the Google keyboard's autocorrect to catch everything. ..😂

Not even going to edit that post either

My Mixed-Bag:

Its in the bag, you think I'd use it more haha :)

Course management is a wonderful thing isn't it? Feel like mickelson at an open, too aggressive at times.

My Mixed-Bag:

For the record I could hit draw with a spatula on the end of a telephone pole. It wouldn't be pretty but give me a couple of couple of swings and I would be drawing it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was thinking since 574 is probably 3 shots anyway, you might even be able to hit 4 iron, 4 iron, and have a 7 or 8 iron left. Just my thoughts on the long par 5's , believe me, I should take my own advice at times, but I always tell myself standing on the tee, there's always a chance to reach in 2, and then hit the driver steaight into the trees, punch out hit 5 iron, chunk wedge, and then 3 putt for double, when I could just hit 5 iron, 5 iron, 8 iron, have a chance at birdie, and take par, but that's boring golf, and no one likes boring golf.

I really need to commit to one flight. I prefer fade with driver and woods, draw with the irons-wedges.

Like you said Kor, boring golf- though sensible, isn't as sexy as getting on in 2.

Par 5s had been my bread and butter averaging 4.6. My fade goes 290s but that draw goes 320's in this weather, But hitting a draw 1/3 attempts isn't making sense anymore...

My Mixed-Bag:

I really need to commit to one flight. I prefer fade with driver and woods, draw with the irons-wedges.

Like you said Kor, boring golf- though sensible, isn't as sexy as getting on in 2.

Par 5s had been my bread and butter averaging 4.6. My fade goes 290s but that draw goes 320's in this weather, But hitting a draw 1/3 attempts isn't making sense anymore...

Two doubles for one crack at eagle? Oh and that crack still needs a 250 yard follow up which if perfectly executed will leave a 15 percent chance of eagle. For ten rounds you will average 60 on that par 5 trying to hit draw with the driver. You'll average 50 or perhaps less with the 3 wood.

Just trying to be helpful but that's one way to look at it. Very few of us have the time or ability to feel comfortable working the ball both ways with all of our clubs. It's easier to devise a plan that fits what we do well into the course we are playing.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Just trying to be helpful but that's one way to look at it. Very few of us have the time or ability to feel comfortable working the ball both ways with all of our clubs. It's easier to devise a plan that fits what we do well into the course we are playing.

Going out for a round this afternoon to work on course management.

Report to follow

My Mixed-Bag:

Using a different strategy then bomb and gouge. Went out yesterday shot an 86. Didn't shank one single ball, awesome! Hit a couple thin, trying to stay in my posture without warming up is always a recipe for this.

No OB tee shot either! Just poorly read yardage's and new chip shots that hadn't practiced took away a few GIR.

My Mixed-Bag:

Course management is for people who enjoy yogurt, plain hamburgers, and other boring food.

People didn't go there to see you lay up, right?

Nobody likes boring, but boring can be very helpful while golfing, no one ever says, I was all over the place and ended up shooting 72. (Except for Phil). I say to try boring, but I don't usually listen to myself.

I'm also all for boring till I get on the course. My best round ever I broke my driver shaft on the range and had to play with 3W. Since then I try and hit 3w more but get to the tee and say eh bombs away. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

My distance off the tee will allow me to reach 3 of the par 5's in 2 shots, if I hit it good, if I don't it's 3 shots anyway, 5 iron will get me far enough off of all of the par 5 tees to where I can play then as 3 shots, 5 iron 7 iron PW or something like that, but for whatever reason i have hit driver, chip out from the trees or drop, then 8 iron, then wedge then 2 putts for a 6. Or it could be driver piped, 3 wood sliced, drop 3, hit 4 on and 2 putt for 6. Who needs a boring 5,7,pw, 2 putts for par when you can have the excitement of hitting all over, wanting to snap a club over your knee, because after you hit he driver into he woods you get pissed off because you realize that you should have just hit the 5 iron. Crazy

Course management is for people who enjoy yogurt, plain hamburgers, and other boring food.

People didn't go there to see you lay up, right?

Thoroughly enjoyed this 😂

I think the amount of balls I have lost has swayed me.

My Mixed-Bag:

When I was in college we played/practiced daily. To break up the monotony coach would have us play without woods, odd/even numbered clubs only, three clubs, one club, one ball, no putter, no wedges, forward tees, red/white/blue tees, etc.

When you played hundreds of rounds a year and practiced daily it was a great way to keep interest and he always gave out prizes for low man. And boy we loved to compete! We had three different courses to play and then a fourth was a range and short course where we would have most of our practices- sure was a great little practice spot.

Whenever someone talks about hitting three seven irons or two five irons and a seven iron on a par five it brings me back to the old college days.

A few weeks ago I was getting my clubs regripped, had the Otero so do it I also just got new 52, 56 wedges. Played the front with only 3w and wedges, played the back with demo driver from club house and wedges, with two punch out shots one 3I and one 5I played pretty well was a ton of fun. Had to lay up on 2 of the par threes should have on a third knocked it in the water.

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

When I was in college we played/practiced daily. To break up the monotony coach would have us play without woods, odd/even numbered clubs only, three clubs, one club, one ball, no putter, no wedges, forward tees, red/white/blue tees, etc.

When you played hundreds of rounds a year and practiced daily it was a great way to keep interest and he always gave out prizes for low man. And boy we loved to compete! We had three different courses to play and then a fourth was a range and short course where we would have most of our practices- sure was a great little practice spot.

Whenever someone talks about hitting three seven irons or two five irons and a seven iron on a par five it brings me back to the old college days.

Went today with a 5 wood, 7i, 52*, 56*, 60*, putter, shot a 42 on the front par 37, but had a fun round. Finished 9 in 46 minutes

My Mixed-Bag:

I HATE this g30 ls driver... 1/7 fairways with it today

When hitting hybrid off the tee 3/4 fairways (one hit a sprinkler head and shot dead right onto the cart path and then into a creek- my buddies were cheering it on)

three iron off the tee 3/3 fairways

I was 6 over today when I hit driver off the tee today (5 over on one hole when i kept tin cupping it trying to drive a creek, resulted in a ten). I was -1 hitting hybrids and irons off the tee and that wasn't because of bad irons shots, over read putts all day. Probably six lip outs.

I HATE this g30 ls driver... 1/7 fairways with it today

When hitting hybrid off the tee 3/4 fairways (one hit a sprinkler head and shot dead right onto the cart path and then into a creek- my buddies were cheering it on)

three iron off the tee 3/3 fairways

I was 6 over today when I hit driver off the tee today (5 over on one hole when i kept tin cupping it trying to drive a creek, resulted in a ten). I was -1 hitting hybrids and irons off the tee and that wasn't because of bad irons shots, over read putts all day. Probably six lip outs.

Its odd, but if I don't like the appearance of a club or sound, I just don't do well with it.

Cop out? Possibly.

Either way did well enough to reintroduce driver. Just have to avoid the death grip

My Mixed-Bag:

Archived