FORUM TESTING: ACCRA Fx DRIVER SHAFTS!

ACCRA.png

ACCRA FX SERIES DRIVER SHAFT MEMBER REVIEWS

The shafts have arrived, the boys have them out of the box and are giving it their all.  It's time to find out just how these new Fx Series shafts from Accra perform for our testers!

​We'll start with a series of unboxing posts, and then our group of 9 will post their thoughts and experiences in greater detail.  Please feel free to ask any of our testers any questions you may have about these Accra shafts. We have a wide range of swing speeds testing out the different versions, so we hope there will be someone in the lineup with a game similar to yours who can provide some useful feedback.

Here's the lineup:

kfilly20             unboxing         review                 abergervt     unboxing   review

oaks                 unboxing        review                  Ike                unboxing   review

Tom54              unboxing        review                 KCLeo12      unboxing   review

timndaida        unboxing        review                  dcorun         unboxing   review    

dlcastles          unboxing        review

Visit the Accra website                          

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So this all moved really quickly. Which is awesome because I'm an impatient S.O.B. Anyways, my wife calls me to tell me there is a long thin package on the porch, which means it can only be 1 thing. A bad ass shaft. I leave work early so I can get it to the fitter to get a tip and grip on it as soon as possible. I walk in the front door and my 5 year old daughter is carrying it around using it as her princess staff. NOOOOO!!!! She loves to open packages more than anything so I should have known the intrigue would have been too much for her to handle. I snatch it from her, take a few pics, upload them to my computer and get it to the shop to be prepared. Then late that night, my hardrive fails. It was an old old macbook so that was to be expected. Just terrible timing. Therefore there will be a lack of actual unboxing pictures. That being said I did take some pictures, just after the box had been opened. Here we go. 

I was sent the Accra FX-260 in an M4 flex. Meaning its a mid launch shaft with a "stiff" flex. IMO, it's beautiful.

b8e70b11-870d-4523-8361-9a968d3623ea_zps

Big yellow branding over a black top half that fades into a deep red bottom half. Really good looking. Not obnoxious and tacky, but really classy and good looking. I'm going to admit, when someone pulls out their driver on the tee box and its got some bright beautiful aftermarket shaft on it I think " Damn, this guy must be a great golfer."

This shaft is going to turn some heads, but you're not going to look like Rickie Fowler doing it. 

I put it on my brand new R15 460cc head and it goes great with the white, black and red color scheme. Just a good looking match.

Accra did some really cool little extras for us too. I didn't even see this the first time, but heard about it in the message thread. Right down by the tip there was this engraving. Very cool.

69347d1d-8716-4eaa-aa8e-54a3d19dbac8_zps

Everything on the shaft is pretty laid back. Which I like. I don't like to look obnoxious, with bright bright colors and tons of graphics. Anything that is on the shaft is very subtle and I' a big fan of that.

cdc1c7be-2e09-4db0-bf9b-d400cbcc65d5_zps

501c2b0a-cb40-432e-8331-42603cf0057c_zps

2ffeab5c-af34-46ec-ac95-03163e6a1889_zps

After taking it out of the box and swinging it around a bit without a head on it my first impressions were

1. This doesn't feel as rigid as the Fujikura Speeder 57 I had previously. Feels like its got a little more pop in it.

2. It looks great. Love everything about the looks.

3. I cannot wait to get my head on it and go smack some balls with it.

At address, after adjusting for the proper loft with the head, from a 10.5 standard up to 11.25 that I've been playing.

f8ab9a2e-1ca8-4b83-a293-16806b53700c_zps

80b946e8-aceb-4d7b-af1a-51878eeef70e_zps

Just as a teaser, I took it out to the range and the first ball I hit landed right where I was previously ending up with roll with the Fujikura. Then with roll it was quite a bit further than I'm used to seeing. I'm a very happy man.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

I apologize for the delay. I injured myself trying to pull off a Tiger shot from an awful lie and haven't been right since. I figured it wouldn't be fair to the Accra to compare it using an injured wrist. So I waited a few weeks, get back out on the course, hit the range a few times and played a few rounds. Now I think I've got a pretty good sampling of what the Accra is all about. 

I grew up playing golf once or twice a year. Those times were when my Grandpa would take me to the local country club and would let me ruin his round. He was the local club champion a few years running, was a +1 handicap and is a hell of a guy. Still gets out a few days a week at the age of 83. He would try and teach me a few things here and there but when you are only playing once every 6 months it's tough to have it stick. I played basketball and football through high school and basketball into college so I'm at least moderately coordinated. I have always been a functional golfer despite my lack of rounds and practice so I figured now that my body is too old for they young mans sports I had better just stick with golf. 

I try and play 2 times a week. But as of late its been a round once every 2 weeks or so and a few driving range sessions mixed in there. I have been focusing on technique lately over just getting out and smacking the ball around. Its been helping but its a long process. 

I have always played stock shafts in every club. Never had a fitting. Just went online, found some clubs I liked and bought them. I think that is not the right approach. So when I came across the Accra shaft testing I jumped on it. I had always wondered what a premium shaft could do for my game and now was my chance. 

I am VERY hit or miss with my driver. I go long and straight about every other round or I go short, high and right every other round. A few times this year I've incorporated a nice snap hook as well. So when I read about trajectories and ball flights I think "Depends on the day." Ill fitting equipment could play a part in this but I thought/think that swing flaws are definitely the major problem. 

The first day I took the Accra out on range I was very very impressed. I know this range well. I know where my ball generally ends up. I know that my first few swings with the Accra were landing past the distance I was getting with roll with my previous shaft. Thats a good sign. My bad shots were not nearly as bad as my bad ones used to be. Meaning I would be just off to the right instead of off the range to the right. Another good sign. I went home thinking I had struck gold.

The next day I took it to the course. It was good, not AMAZING, but good. My bad shots were just off the fairway instead of being 30 yards off into the forest. My good shots were good, not life changing good, but better. A little longer, but not 15 or 20 yards. Maybe 5 or so. Good results. I was happy with them. After a few more rounds I realized I was consistently closer to the fairway, I wasn't much longer but I was noticeably straighter. 

IMG_2023_zpsrluj85gb.jpg

One thing that was very noticeable was this shaft makes you pay if you swing too hard and get out of wack. But take a nice easy smooth swing and you will see noticeably better results than with a different shaft, well my old shaft at least. So in this regard I think this shaft is for better golfers, not just the every day bum amateur. 

My next step was to take it to the launch monitor for some data to back up my eye tests. 

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-09%20at%2011.20.

So the #'s did backup what I was seeing. I was hitting it longer, longer than I had thought I was. My eyes told my I was hitting it straighter also. Those are 2 good things off the tee. I need a lot work on my swing but this shaft has helped my game quite a bit. 

It will be staying in my bag for the foreseeable future. 

:taylormade-small: R15 White 10.5° Accra FX-260 M4

:titelist-small:        915F 3W Aldila Rogue Black 110 stiff 

:titelist-small:        915H 4H MRC Diamana D+ Whiteboard 90 HY Stiff

:titelist-small:        716 T-MB 3 iron True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:taylormade-small: Rsi 2's 5-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT S-300

:vokey-small: SM6 46

:vokey-small: SM6 52* 

:vokey-small: SM6 56*  

:callaway-small:  Mack Daddy 2 PM grind 60* 

:scotty-cameron-1:   Newport 2.5 Dual Balance

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Game Golf : kfilly20

Got the chance to cut the box open today once it arrived and was blown away by its looks and feels. The shaft I currently have is a Tour AD-DI 6X so Accra built me an Fx370 M5 flex and in the black and yellow paint scheme. Will be installing this into a 915 D3 10.5 and cannot wait to get it on the course. Great personal touch laser etching my name into the shaft. They should maybe consider doing that for all custom builds!

shaft1.jpgshaft2.jpgshaft3.jpgshaft4.jpg

Ts3 w. 9.5 oban isawa 75g xflex

tsi2 15deg w. Addi 85x 

Vintage 712u 3i with x100

MP18 4-9 w. X100

t7 wedges x100

newport2 heavy 

I currently play some 4-6 rounds a week at a private club in Northern California which is where my field testing took place. I am a 3 handicap and play some 200 rounds in the summers on the east coast. I had been playing a Tour AD-DI 6X for the past 2.5 seasons in my Titleist 915/913. 

First let me start off by saying WOW! I think that best describes my field testing with my Accra Fx370 that I installed into my Titleist 915D3 10.5. Previously I had a Tour AD-DI 6X in there for the past year and before that in my 913D3. However now that I have taken my Accra out its no contest what shaft I should be playing. 

My ball flight with the AD-DI was fairly line drive with a slight arc no matter my launch angle or angle of attack which was okay for the northeast where you do not get a ton of roll, but was able to keep it on the course most times and out of the wind which was a huge plus. However after making the switch to Accra my ball flight is perfect and slightly higher but more penetrating than the AD-DI not to mention my spin rate is down as well, which was a point of contention with the AD-DI as on perfect hits it tended to generate a little too much spin, the Accra does not over spin on center contact. 

When I jumped on a Flight Scope for a few swings to compare my Tour AD-DI Avg carry on 6 balls was 280.8 which is pretty average for me as my swing speed ranged between 110-120MPH. But when hitting the Accra my average carry on 6 solid hits was 293.5 and a dispersion of 10 yards L/R as opposed to my AD-DI which had a dispersion of 20 yards L/R of center. The smash factors were nearly identical with a smash factor of 1.49 for my Accra and 1.46 for my AD-DI which lets be fair has lived a great long life (300 rounds or so). 

All in all I am truly grateful to My Golf Spy and Accra for this opportunity and potentially game changing testing opportunity. I just might have to make the full shift to Accra for my woods and hybrids as they both currently are shafted with Tour AD-DI's. 

*I apologize to the readers for the lack of photos as the Iphone went down with all my photos and just got it replaced today and traveling for work. 

Thank you My Golf Spy and Accra

• Like 1

Ts3 w. 9.5 oban isawa 75g xflex

tsi2 15deg w. Addi 85x 

Vintage 712u 3i with x100

MP18 4-9 w. X100

t7 wedges x100

newport2 heavy 

Firstly, thank you ACCRA and MyGolfSpy for this opportunity.  I have been a long time, fairly devoted user of the ACCRA line of shafts.  My first experience goes back to the original TM 320 Tour with the White and Silver ACCRA 75 shaft.  After that I quickly moved through the SC line and found the original and still some of the best ever SE and SE* line of shafts. 

I played the SE line of shafts primarily in my J33 fairway woods for a number of season – these are still some of my favorite woods of all time, but I moved on looking for something better and newer.  I followed up with a XC75 in a Cleveland Hi-Bore Tour which still to this day is one of the more accurate drivers that I have ever played with.  After a few years and a few drivers later, I ended up with one of the original Tour Z prototype shafts – which was a beast – I think that the shaft was a little much, especially when I went back in time with putting it into a J33R 460.  Combined with the demanding head and a very demanding shaft, reluctantly I went away from ACCRA for a few seasons. 

Last season I was sent by ACCRA a CS1 70 M5 for testing that I hit a few times here and there, but after a fitting with TaylorMade I was fitted to a 10.5 SLDR with a Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.3 I had found my gamer for the 2014 season.  Once I find a setting with a driver I generally try not to change it for the fear that I will mess it up and never get it back to what it was (even if all of the settings are the same).  Earlier this spring my golf swing was a mess and I started to play around with other options different heads and different shafts – I had finally found a winner in early June.  The combination was  my SLDR 10.5 set 3 clicks to FADE – Set 1.5* Lower playing at 9.0* with the ACCRA CS1 that had been given limited run last season.  Driving of the golf ball generally falls for me at the weak part of my game (only lagging behind my putting), but with the CS1 I had found a driver/shaft combination that was giving me excellent distance, may not have been the longest, but also unmatched accuracy.  My gamer was set. 

When the opportunity came for the testing of the FX Series came up I was immediately intrigued – I was wondering if I could play it at a little higher loft to get a little more height but to also retain the spin that I was seeing with the CS1.  I do not have launch monitor stats to back up my choice of the CS1 – just the eyeball test, but I do have a quiver of shafts to choose from when trying to figure out what is best for me. 

When we were notified, I was excited but also a little nervous as we were not allowed to request a specific shaft, weight or flex.  I knew that I wanted to try the FX 370 in the comparable M5 flex to what I was playing currently. 

Late last week I received a box and was immediately scared, frightened and disheartened when UPS dropped it off. 

The box had literally been snapped in half like a TWIG with a little tape holding it together.  I was crushed – there is no way that the shaft will be alive. 

IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

Needless to say that when I opened the box I saw that thankfully the good team at ACCRA had not only packaged it well, but had also included an ACCRA Tour towel in the box protecting the shaft.  Luckily for me the towel was located precisely where the box was broken. 

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

I had put a TM TP adapter on the FX 370 and have some initial thoughts and 9 holes of action with it, but the graphics and the coloring of the shaft are awesome.

My one complaint about my CS1 is that it looks a little retro, but also a little bland – I can see the fibers through the clear coat but the overall look of the shaft looks to be a little boring.  The colorway of the FX shaft with the screaming yellow ACCRA and the yellow lower half of the shaft look fantastic.

Sorry for the limited pictures of the unboxing - for the final review I'll do better

• Like 4

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

I play out of a golf course of about 6300 yards – but can feel very different based on the winds on a particular day as we sit along the coast.  Distance is not the most important aspect at my home club, but rather accuracy and placement leading into the greens. 

Currently I am carrying about a 6 handicap and get to play my home course about once or twice a week.  My strengths generally are my irons and solid ball striking – I lose too many shots with errant tee shots (look out LEFT) and with poor putting.  My putting has really been my woes over the past few months – nothing feels comfortable and this has drastically hurt my scores this summer.

Recently I have been gaming a SLDR 10.5 (tuned to 9.0* Set 3 clicks to FADE) with an ACCRA CS1 70 M5.  This has been the best driver and shaft combination that I have ever hit.  I have tried numerous shafts other than this trying to come up with a magic wand and to avoid the lefts (I duck-hook my fair share).  The CS1 is far and away the best shaft that I have ever hit.  Currently I have both Matrix Red & Black Ties, a Graphite Design DI-7 and a Fujikura Motore 7.3 in reserve.

As I explained in my unboxing – I LOVE ACCRA Shafts – I have a long relationship with them and was excited to be chosen for the FX testing.  Accra Shafts poses a certain feel and I have always gotten along with them.  When properly fit they are great shafts. 

accra1.jpg

accra2.jpg

On paper the FX-370 was the one for me – it would most replicate the CS1 that I am currently playing in weight and flex.  My main complain about the CS1 is that it looks boring.  The FX is the opposite of boring – we are screaming for attention in bright smooth black and yellow – with large bold ACCRA running down the side.  The shaft is everything that I wish my CS1 was in the looks department.  The shaft wants to be noticed, as it should. 

My testing shaft was the FX370 – M5 – 77 grams – Playing length 44.75”

My gamer shaft is the CS1 – M5 – 74 grams – Playing length 44.75”

accra3.jpg

accra4.jpg

My apologies for not having HARD numbers via a launch monitor, but I have the eyeball test.  The FX 370 feels closer to the ACCRA Tour Z than the CS1.  I tried playing around with the settings on the FX and was closer to playing at about 10* from my normal 9* setting.  Peak height and distance for the two shafts was remarkably close – I might give the edge slightly to the CS1 but I am talking 3-5 yards overall.  Where I noticed the biggest difference for me was the dispersion – I found that the CS1 was a straighter shaft than the FX-370.  This could have been based on a different face angle of my SLDR head (9* vs 10*) or just bad swings as I was trying to see what the FX could handle, but none-the-less the CS1 wins out. 

Overall the FX lineup is another winner for the ACCRA family.  I truly believe that they make some of the best shafts in the world and the FX certainly lives up to the reputation of “ACCRA FEEL”.  The shaft feels phenomenal, looks phenomenal and delivers on great distance while maintaining low spin. 

Based on all of the above – the FX needs more time and more testing.  If I had a tournament round coming up – the CS1 would be my shaft of choice but that doesn't mean that with a few more tweaks that the FX cannot make its way into my bag.  The fact that the FX is not automatically being put into my bag is not a slight at all to this shaft – it is more a praise as to how good the ACCRA CS1 is.  The CS1 delivers everything that I have ever expected out of a shaft while providing great accuracy, distance and feel.  I am looking forward to spending more time with both shafts in the future, but I am certain of one thing – a ACCRA Shaft will be in my driver. 

accra5.jpg

Thanks again MyGolfSpy and Accra Golf

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

Surprise waiting at the door after lunch.  Was expecting a package, but not this soon.

ACCRA 001.JPG

Grabbed the camera and box cutter.  Jordan and friends on TV will have to wait.

ACCRA 005.JPG

First thing in view is an unexpected surprise.  A note on the back of the packing slip.

Ac 001.JPG

Well packaged to protect the contents. The cushioning paper did a superb job.

Ac.JPG

Sure enough, as expected there was a very nice looking Accra shaft and a large ACCRA towel inside.

Ac 003.JPG

The packing slip had an interesting note that precipitated a further close inspection of the shaft.  ACCRA had embossed or lasered my name on the shaft.  A very nice touch and spelled correctly.

Ac 005.JPG

Off to the shop to build a golf club and show off the towel and imprint.

Ac 004.JPG.

• Like 1

My game is played three days a week on a selection of eight private courses owned by our property owners association.  One round is with friends, the second is a scramble tournament and the third is an individual play tournament.  Play is twelve months a year here in paradise.  Often my days off from playing are spent teaching golf or working as a club builder and consultant for a local shop.  In a previous life there was a 720 sq. ft. combination golf and wood working shop that served as a hobby. 

Chi Chi & Ike.jpg

That's me without the hat

The weakness in my game is over seven decades of growing ancient exacerbated by juvenile onset rheumatoid arthritis and various titanium and plastic body parts.  Having been a student of the game for over fifty years has not diminished my love for it as that is maintained and grown by friends made, students who “get it” and the myriad improvements in equipment through the years that find their way into my hands. 

Now we get to play and test a premium shaft from a well know golf management group.  A thorough inspection of the ACCRA  Fx-360 driver/wood shaft with M4 flex shows no visible flaws and displays very crisp graphics.  The ACCRA web site tells me this shaft will be 65 grams with a torque rating of 3.5 with a relatively low launch and low spin.  The low launch and stiff tip characteristics generally do not fit my swing mechanics so with shaft in hand it is off to the shop with enthusiasm and extreme curiosity to build and test a golf club.   

Ac 009.JPG

Ac 011.JPG

Ac 012.JPG

Prepping the shaft by first cutting to the same length as my gamer and dry fitting the adapter and split grip shows this club will be extremely close in swing weight to my gamer.  The laser FLO* test tells me how to set the tip adapter for my loft and lie choosing.

Ac 006.JPG

Satisfied with these findings it is time to proceed with a more permanent assembly.  The tip is sanded and the adapter is epoxied in the chosen position.

Ac 008.JPG

The W5 grip is installed with one wrap extra for the right hand as are all my hitting clubs.  The frequency test shows 255 CPM telling me what was anticipated as a stiffer shaft than currently played.

Ac 007.JPG

The stats for the new ACCRA Fx-360 shaft vs the gamer. 

ACCRA  Fx-360                                    Gamer

Swing weight                     D 8.9+                                   D 8.9

CPM                                      255                                         224

Total length                        45 ½”                                     45 ½”

Static weight                      316 grams                            305 grams

Torque                                 3.5                                          4.5

Both shafts have the same adapter, head, and grip installed.

Accra 007.JPG

The launch monitor tells more before the now completed club sees green grass and a course.

ACCRA Fx 360                    Gamer

Launch angle                      16.2                                        15.4

Ball spin                                2,291                                     2,215

Velocity                                 112.0                                     112.7

Distance                               191.8                                     195.8

Smash factor                      143.8                                     149.3

All shots on the monitor used the same 460cc driver head with shots alternated so grooving and timing would not be a factor.  Every category was a surprise.  A higher launch angle was expected with the softer tip on my gamer.  The answer might be that the gamer holds the lag a bit longer therefore imparting the lower initial launch with greater velocity.  Ball spin and smash factor are probably intertwined with off center hits and the distance with the gamer was closer to normal.  DEVIATION!  The deviation with the ACCRA shaft was 10.5 while the gamer was 7.9.  80% with the ACCRA shaft were to the right while 80% with the gamer were to the left. 

Time for green grass as the new tool is resting by the bag.  Have a tournament in the morning and will play the ACCRA shaft for the entire round.

Ac 010.JPG

Anticipation is akin to excitement as the new tool (toy) is tried for the first time in the elements.  The practice range after the obligatory warm up and stretching my ancient body showed some real promise for the ACCRA offering.  The first two shots were mid trajectory pretty little draws.  OK, what will it do if allowed to turn the other direction?  A bit higher with a very satisfactory fade of approximately 5 yards is a pleasant surprise.

Game time!  Things change when you are writing down the numbers, so extra care and a smooth swing were the order of the day with the big dog in hand.  The first was a very nice lower than normal draw in the short grass.  Good!  Everything asked of this club was delivered as the number three hole wants a fade which demands an extreme focus for a reformed hooker.  Perfect!  Nearly a repeat of the practice range experience.  The rest of the round was very satisfactory and left me with mixed emotions as this shaft would not be my new gamer.

ACCRA 005.jpg

This ACCRA shaft is too good to reside in the “other shafts” bin.  My best friend said he would be pleased to play a shaft with my name on it and it surely will have a good home as his swing requires the stiffer flex and he really needs a better shaft.  He is still playing the OEM shaft with the same head manufacturer as mine.  This premium made shaft has my highest recommendation as a quality tool that performs repeatedly with expected results.   Will be on the lookout to see if there is an ACCRA Fx-140 or Fx-150 looking for a new home.  Questions? 

PS:  One of my students called Saturday morning asking about my driver as his brother had played in my foursome Friday and carried back the story of my nice drives.  He left with the ACCRA Fx-360 shaft installed and my gamer shaft as extra cargo along with the head wrench in its handy draw string bag.  Later in the afternoon he came back all smiles and said he really liked it.  When asked which one, he pointed to the ACCRA and asked if we had one in stock.  Said the ball landed by the 230 marker with a slight low draw and when he let up on a swing the ball drifted off to the right.  Looks like another convert for the ACCRA Fx-360 with M4 flex.

*FLO Flat Line Oscillation tests to see if there is any deviation in flex direction and is a standard practice in my club fitting process.

+ The swing weight registered D8.9 and fluctuated slightly to D9.0 and back.

• Like 3

Longtime reader, first time tester here. Thanks to My Golf Spy and Accra giving me a shot at seeing if I can up my driver game.  This is a really cool opportunity we've been afforded and I'm looking forward to sharing the experience with our forum members. 

I arrived home from my weekly Thursday evening game to find a present from Accra waiting for me on my chair.

20150730_210832.jpg

I opened one side of the box to pull out the shaft, then opened the other side to find “Accra Towel In This Box” handwritten on the packing order. Sure enough, a logo towel was included. And this was no dishrag; we're talking about a 4' x 2' caddy towel that lets people know whose shaft you're gaming. These guys at Accra know how to get me on their team right away!

20150730_211143.jpg

20150730_211630.jpg

The shaft I will be testing is the FX 260 with an M4 flex. Per the packing slip, it is a 60g shaft. On the website, it says the mass is 64 so I assume it will come in somewhere in that range after the build. My initial impressions are that it looks sharp. I like the yellow logo. It works with the black background, and blends with the dark red tip.

20150730_211712.jpg

20150730_211701.jpg

Accra sizes up the competition - a Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki K-60 in a Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9.5*

20150730_212028.jpg

Just when I thought it couldn't look better, I glanced down at the tip and saw some wording. Happily I realized that the shaft was personalized for me. I squinted close for a good look and… D'OH!!!!

http://imgur.com/r/thesimpsons/y9JzU4L

20150730_214800.jpg

On the following Saturday, the next order of business was to get this shaft built and installed on my driver. My buddy Hunt at Rustic Canyon Golf Course did the honors.

Aligning the spine to find the sweet spot.

20150801_095024.jpg

Getting the frequency. The Fubuki tested at 257. The Accra came in at 261, which is great. It's just slightly stiffer and should be a pretty good straight comparison.

20150801_095230.jpg

Add a fresh IOMIC Sticky 2.3 and we're good to go. The shaft aligned so well that the Accra logo is showing on the TV side.

20150801_101841.jpg

20150807_214229.jpg

So far I've been able to play a couple of rounds and had some range time. I'll also be getting a FlightScope session in shortly. I'm really curious to see if the numbers will be different from the eyeball test. 

Driver: Callaway XR16 Pro 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MR - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport (35")
Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX, Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

I've been playing golf for about 12.5 years now and carry an index of 8.5. I play at least two times per week, mostly out of Rustic Canyon Golf Course in Moorpark, CA. We get approximately 360 days of golf weather here (error range +-5) because it's Southern California and it doesn't rain and our courses will probably be dead in a few years with all the water restrictions. So I have to play when I can.

My strengths vary; it's basically what's working on any given day. Typically I have confidence in my putting, and right now I'm hitting my driver pretty well as well as my hybrids, but my iron striking has been spotty.

I am currently gaming a Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9* (aka, the first BBA that Callaway released in 2014) with a Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki K-60. I've had the BBA for a little over a year. The Fubuki is a longer story. Early in 2013, I went for a driver fitting with fitter I hadn't used before. I had gamved the Callaway FT-9 for about 4 years previously. The top driver I was recommended was the PING Anser 8.5* with the Fubuki shaft. It was intriguing because I've never been a fan of PING, and the Fubuki was not an upgrade option, so I paid full retail price for the after-market shaft. I was a little hesitant at the final price tag, but figured if I used the driver for 4 more years, it wouldn't matter as much.

Well, I must have been swinging out of my mind that day, because the first time I played with the Anser, my reaction was, "Oh no." I did hit some of the longest drives of my life, but more often I hit the worst drives of my life. Finally after a year, I got tired of repeatedly grounding out to shortstop, found out that I hit the BBA much better, and bagged it. Just a month or so ago, I finally got the bright idea of putting an adapter on the Fubuki shaft that was collecting dust in the garage and got dialed in on the FlightScope. Happily I improved a little over the stock Aldila Tour Green I had in there originally, and then this Accra testing opportunity came up.

That leads to the testing phase. I was sent the Accra Fx-260 M4. If you check out the sites for Mitsubishi Rayon and Accra you'll notice that the specs for each shaft are similar. Both weigh in at about 63-64 grams and have a 3.7 torque rating, and I'm playing both of them at a total length of 45.25". When I first hit both of them in one session, the main difference I noticed is that the Accra seemed to be slightly heavier and stiffer near the grip. My fitter showed me how to bend the shaft by holding the butt end and the middle. Sure enough, the Fubuki bent a little more, confirming my observation. Also, as I mentioned above, the Accra looks sharp with its color pattern, and since it spined so well at the build, the label got on the TV side.

The first time I used the Fx-260, I took it out for a round at Rustic Canyon.  I took a few swings on the driving range before the round and hit 3 straight ones right away, which is always nice. My initial impressions were that the shaft was solid and did not feel whippy or like a board.  After 18 holes, the eyeball test told me that nothing was out of the ordinary. Round highlights included one I clobbered 282 yards on hole 18 and another I hit 265 with a cross wind on 13. Lowlights included one I faded into the junk on 5. Hole 14 has a forced carry of about 190 yards. There are two trees that I aim to the right of. I yanked the drive well left of the trees and into the hazard. The point is, these are all things I've done before, some more than others. I went to the range afterwards and hit a bunch. It seemed like I was getting good ball flight and some good distance, but hard to tell because the range plays slightly uphill and range balls are fairly lacking. I interchanged the Fubuki as well, and it seemed very similar. The impact tape showed that the Fubuki was more consistent, but the Accra was closer to the center of the clubfaceI wondered if the FlightScope numbers would say differently.

20150805_202915.jpg

20150805_204007.jpg

20150808_103004.jpg

It's time for the #datacratic portion of the review. I headed to Simi Hills Golf Course to see Jason of J's Club Shack. He had dialed me in on the Fubuki, so now it was time for the showdown with the Fx-260. For the test, I hit a total of 10 balls with each shaft. I hit 5 with the Accra, then 5 with the Fubuki, and repeated. At first glance, the data showed that distance and spin were pretty similar, but that the Accra had smaller offline dispersion of about 10 yards. That looked significant… right up until we eliminated the two worst shots from each shaft (in this case, the two shots with the most backspin). When we did that, as you can see in the attachments, the distance, spin, offline, and smash factor were nearly the same for each one. In this case, the data test matched the eyeball test.

Shaft Comparison.pdf

Summary.png

Grouping.png

Trajectory.png

Now, don't take this to mean that I'm disappointed or that the Fx-260 hasn't performed well. It has. It really means that I was already fit well into my current driver. I've played several rounds with the Accra and hit a lot of good drives.

It did pass another eyeball test. This past Monday I played 36 down at the Morongo courses in the Inland Empire. I was playing with my friend and coach Dan Martin, the Director of Instruction at Rustic Canyon. He's known me all of my golf life. In fact, before I got the Accra, we did an on course lesson and worked on the FlightScope after I had installed the Fubuki. When I hit the Accra on Monday, I was really driving it well, and he remarked that the ball flight was really improved. Swing thoughts that we had been working on definitely played a role but he noticed a difference in how I was swinging the Fx-260.

The questions are, what are the real differences between the shafts and which one should I be using? Physically, the shafts differ in two ways: 1) The Accra is slightly stiffer, and 2) the Accra is slightly heavier. As far as how I swing them, as I've said, I don't see any difference in ball flight or distance. The Fubuki is an incredibly smooth feeling shaft when I connect just right and it feels evenly weighted throughout. However, one difference was noticed in the shots we eliminated in the data: when I get impatient in my swing, I block the Fubuki much wider than I do the Accra. Again, I think that's where the extra weight and stiffness come into play. Jason remarked that while both shafts do the job, he favors a little heavier shaft for my swing.

Oh, there's also one other difference between the two: price. When I bought it originally, the Fubuki K60 retailed at $375. It's a $350 upgrade for Callaway. It looks like the Fubuki J is the replacement for it, and that retails for around $360. I couldn't get a definitive price on the Fx-260, but I believe it's around $250. That's significant. Over $100 savings for a shaft that essentially performs the same.

As for me, I'm going to keep the Accra in the driver for a while. I like how I hit it. I think I'm just a tad bit more patient when I swing it. Plus, if I feel like changing to the Alpha 815, or the GBB 816, or the next Bertha that Callaway puts out next spring, or the one they put out next fall, I can easily change the shaft and test it anywhere.

This was a great experience. If you're the type that likes getting fitted for drivers and fine tuning the numbers, I recommend checking out the Accra Fx line. It may just save you a few bucks on an aftermarket shaft and perform every bit as well.

One last story: the fitter I went to in 2013 is a company that gives three recommendations at the end of the session; basically Good, Better, Best. The second best driver that was recommended for me that day? The TaylorMade R1... with an Accra DyMatch shaft. It's funny how things come around. I wish I had bought that instead.

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway XR16 Pro 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MR - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport (35")
Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX, Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

I was really excited about this shaft testing. I have always heard great things about ACCRA Shafts but never got around to trying them. I was most interested in what shaft they were going to send me with the provided info.

Then that great message came that message saying they would ship soon. Then 2 days later I came home to this!!!

IMG_1764.jpg

I couldnt wait to get inside and open the box to see what shaft they had sent me. I open it up and I cant get the shaft out!?! So I look in the box and see they wrapped the shaft tightly with a awesome little extra. So I pulled it out and it was a great looking towel and inside the towel was an even better looking shaft!!!

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

I loved the Bright yellow and cool Japanese lettering that I almost over looked this sweet surprise!!

IMG_1765.jpg

I went to my usual club builder and he said he didnt have any experience with this shaft and couldn't give an a good recommendation on tipping. So I emailed the Closest ACCRA dealer and fitter from the list on the ACCRA website. I got an email back from John at California Club Works the next day asking me to call him. So when I called we discussed what my usual numbers were and what he recommended. Then he told me to come to his shop and he would build the shaft for me then get me on the Launch Monitor for a quick comparison. I was amazed by this. I know its not about the shaft but it goes to show you ACCRA really looks into the type of people they have as dealers and fitters. So I made the 50 mile drive to see John and he was a great guy if you close to Temecula Ca check him out!!!

So just based on looks the shaft is awesome. The shafts just looks like its super high end. The graphics on my shaft were bright but not so bright that they were distracting. The etching was a great unexpected touch.

I know you guys wanna here all the numbers and what I think of the shaft buy you will have to wait. I am getting a few more shafts tipped so that I can do a comparison of 4 different shafts. But here is a sneak peak of the built club.

IMG_1781.jpg

Just a hint the original testing vs my current gamer shaft was eye opening!!!

IMG_1767.jpg

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

So first off let me tell you a little bit about me and my game. I am a scratch golfer and I play 3-5 times per month when I am not out to sea. I play all types of courses in the San Diego area.  I played one year of college golf before deciding that college just wasn't for me. I tried some small mini tours and did well until I got injured.

When it comes to my game I have always been a long hitter and pretty accurate considering how far I hit the ball. I am recovering from an Achilles tendon rupture so my speed is a little slower than before the injury but I am also making some swing changes to become more accurate and in control.

I have always been a low launch high spin player but I have been trying to change that since the new equipment performs best with contact on the upswing. I am currently gaming the Aldila ATX Tour Green 65x tipped 1” at 45”. I have hit some real bombs with this combo but I have a hard time feeling the shaft through the swing.

I was selected to try out the FX370 M5 which is the shaft I was hoping for, it's a 77 grams X flex shaft. The looks of this shaft are great I loved it as soon as I pulled it out of the box. The Japanese characters are very cool and the laser etching is just awesome.

Now on the real deal facts from a launch monitor session with a GC2. I edit it out all shots that were badly miss hit. Had I had more monitor time I could have dialed in the FX370 a little more. I made some adjustments towards the end that really made some improvements and the average distance increased considerably. I should note the Aldila ATX was professionally fit. The Fuji was just a shaft I have been wanting to try out. It didn't perform like I was hoping.

IMG_02471.PNG
IMG_02481.PNG

On the course is where I was most impressed by this shaft. I hit it in places I have never been on this course before and in a good way. I played 2 course and a total of 4 rounds. I averaged 1 club less into every hole from any time I have played these courses. I have over 50 rounds on each course over the last 4 years so I know these courses very well. I was hitting the ball higher, longer and more accurate. Even on mishits I was usually still in the fairway or very close. The only time I missed the fairway was when I made a bad swing.

So to sum everything up this shaft is longer and more accurate than my gamer. It feels smoother and seems to kick more at the bottom. I still have some tweaking to do with this shaft to get it perfect but is definitely better for me then what I have been playing.

Final answer is this shaft will be staying in the bag for the foreseeable future because it's just flat out a better performing shaft for me!!!!

IMG_02471.PNG

IMG_02481.PNG

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Hi, thank you for joining me on my journey. I can tell you that I have joined campaigns, entered sweepstakes and even bought lottery tickets without much good fortune so when I was notified that I was selected to participate in this testing, I was beside myself. So much so that my shouts of joy scared the dog and caused my wife to shake her head, glare at me and go to another room.  

First, a big shout out to MGS for this opportunity.  It is fantastic.  Second, a bigger shout out to ACCRA, not only for offering us this opportunity but also for the incredibly fast shipping, days not weeks.  If that is not enough, throwing in their caddie towel and engraving my name on the shaft blew me away.  They "get" Customer Service.

When UPS alerted me they would deliver the shaft to my home, I could not wait so I went to the UPS station and picked it up instead as the first picture shows. That was at 11 a.m.

Truck 1.jpg

From there, a quick dash home by 11:30 for a close-up picture of my new FX 160 shaft in the M4 flex which is designed to fit my 92 mph swing speed. With picture in hand, I then took off to the fitter to install grip and adapter.  

Unboxed.jpg

Thanks to the magic of quick setting epoxy, I was home by 2:00 p.m.and within a minute inserted it into my Titleist 915 head.  

Final.jpg

As you can see, the combination of the blue shaft and the Golf Pride CP2 wrap grip in blue trim is quite nice to look at and simply begs to be hit so I did not delay. I hit the range the next day, played twice on the weekend (which I rarely do) and then got on the launch monitor. I have some good data to share and look forward to posting the results of my testing in the coming days. As I do, I hope you, my fellow Spys, will find them meaningful and informative.  

INTRODUCTION

Hi, welcome to my full review of the ACCRA FX 160 shaft with M4 flex.  First, I have learned a lot about shafts and my swing only because MGS offered the opportunity to test the ACCRA shaft.  I owe MGS a huge thank you.

A word about me and my game.  I am 61 years old and a military retiree, hopelessly addicted to golf.  I served in the Army for 25 years and am still serving as an intelligence analyst with the Department of Defense.   Accordingly, I am a data geek by trade and this analytical trait carries over to my golf game.  I make my own yardage books and track player performance for the members of the Golf Association that I Chair.  I like launch monitor data but I also understand it is not the “end all.”

I live on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama so I have easy access to two courses that feature a lot of elevation changes and large greens.  I practice 2-3x week and usually play once a week.  I play to a 7 handicap from the Orange tees which measure 6800 yards and a slope of 130. 

Set Make-up:  I currently carry the Titleist 915 D2 10.5 degree driver with the stock Diamana Blue, S+ 60g, shaft with a stiff flex, or so it says, set at 11.25 degrees of loft with a slight upright lie angle bias.  I like the performance of the Titleist 915 averaging 240-245 yards off the tee with a 92 mph swing speed. 

Strengths/Weaknesses:  My strength is hitting fairways – 11/14.  When I miss, I miss by feet, not yards.  My weakness is Greens In Regulation - 9/18.  I come out of my posture at times but I am correcting that with my coach.

OVERVIEW OF THE ACCRA SHAFT

ACCRA sent me the FX 160 driver shaft in M4 flex.  

Small 2.jpg

ACCRA states on its website that “the FX 100 series shafts are designed to promote a higher initial launch condition with controlled spin rates.  It further states that the FX 100 series shafts are excellent for those wanting to increase launch angle and utilize a super light-weight shaft.”  One thing is certain:  The ACCRA shaft feels a lot smoother than my Diamana.  Engraving my name on the shaft – “priceless!”

Small 3.jpg

The table below shows some specs I think are important when it comes to shafts – frequency, torque and weight.  As you can see, the frequency of the ACCRA shaft measures at 258 cycles which makes it an honest “Stiff” shaft.  My Diamana measures at a regular flex, not the “Stiff' written on the shaft.  Kudos to ACCRA for their accuracy!  

The ACCRA is also a bit heavier than the Diamana, although not by much.  Torque for the two shafts is a little different and may explain why I did not square the club face on the course as consistently as I normally do.  

Specs2.jpg

Looks and Feel:  As I stated in my “unboxing” comments, the shaft looks great, especially with the matching Golf Pride CP2 grip in blue trim.  The unique color scheme ACCRA uses is an eye catcher and certainly a conversation starter, all good things for a manufacturer I would say.  On the range and on the course, the shaft feels smooth and consistent throughout the swing, very good qualities. 

HARD NUMBERS

To preserve the integrity of the testing process, my fitter carefully cut the ACCRA shaft so that when we installed the adapter and grip and inserted it into the 915 D2 head it measured the same as when the Diamana was inserted - 45 inches.  We installed the same Golf Pride CP2 grip as the one on my Diamana and measured the frequency of each shaft which relates to shaft stiffness. 

Testing Process:  For the test, I got on a launch monitor three different times over the course of a 10 day period.  I think doing so results in a better evaluation because it accounts for the differences most of us feel in our swing from one day to another.  Each time the launch monitor was indoors - not exactly what I prefer but the only option available. 

I hit 9 balls with both shafts.  I used my own, brand new Titleist balls.  I then threw out the best and worst ball with each shaft, leaving me with 7 recorded swings for each shaft.  I followed this process each time I got on the launch monitor.   This process resulted in launch monitor data for 21 swings with each shaft.  The averages for my 21 swings are shown below.  Differences are in red font.

Monitor.jpg

As you can see from the data, there are some meaningful differences (better numbers are highlighted in red font) between the two shafts in terms of launch angle, back spin, peak height, dispersion and distance.  The ACCRA launch angle was lower (13.7 vs 14.9) and dispersion was greater than the Diamana 12 yards vs 5 yards).  ACCRA back spin was also higher than the Diamana (3064 vs 2743).  I think the combination of higher back spin and lower torque may explain the increased dispersion and back spin probably explains the lost distance.  That said, these numbers are from indoor launch monitors.  Similar to “feel vs real”, I put my faith in what I see on the course.

I like the feel and smoothness of the ACCRA shaft.  Because of this, I believe the results would be much better with a formal fitting by an ACCRA fitter.  Unfortunately, the nearest ACCRA fitter is located 3-4 hours from me.  I am not sure I want to make that drive so I wonder if an ACCRA fitter would be able to recommend a better shaft based on this review.  Maybe someone out there in MGS land can tell me.

ON COURSE COMPARISON:  THE EYEBALL TEST

As I said above, numbers are numbers.  I prefer to listen to what the ball tells me on the course, especially when I am under pressure either in a tournament or defending a bet.  With this in mind, I played two rounds with my buddies and one tournament over a two week period for a total of 54 holes.  The shaft felt very smooth to me every time.  I liked that a lot but unfortunately, what I saw on the course validated the launch monitor data.  I did not see the performance I hoped for.  The distance loss was noticeable as was the wider dispersion pattern.  I attribute this to higher the back spin and lower torque of the ACCRA shaft which made it harder for me to square the club face.  Again I wonder if an ACCRA fitter would be able to recommend a better shaft based on the data points within this review.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I am very grateful for the opportunity MGS gave me and to ACCRA for trusting me with their shaft.  ACCRA Customer Service is great and I have learned a lot.  The numbers may not have worked in my favor on all accounts but I am sufficiently impressed with ACCRA to want to play their shaft if I can find the right one for me.  I plan to continue using the ACCRA shaft for a month or so to see if I can adjust to it better than I have thus far.  I think I owe that to ACCRA for trusting me to test their shaft. 

I think the FX 250 or 260 in M3 flex may be a better fit based on the information on ACCRA's website but that is just my speculation.  I wonder, therefore, if an ACCRA fitter could analyze this review and possibly recommend another ACCRA shaft that may be a better fit for me.  At any rate, I owe both ACCRA and MGS a big thank you for trusting me as a tester.  It has been a great ride.

Review Posted

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=edit_post&f=9&t=14351&p=176279&page=

• Like 2

I opened the door to go out to the front porch and drink my morning coffee and there sit's a box. I'm really excited because I didn't expect it that soon. Coffee forgotten and box is in my hands. I open it and the first thing I see is a Accra caddie towel and I'm thinking what a nice touch. I then pull out the shaft and I'm thinking this is really one good looking shaft. Flashy but, not over the top. I inspect it closely and see that they have sent me the FX150/M3/DYMTEC shaft. I like the yellow ACCRA and the black fade to dark blue to blue. I then see that it's engraved with Engineered for Dan Corun. Outstanding. The accents and color of the  Accra shaft will go very well with my RBZ Stage 2. Overall the shaft will look great with the white head and the yellow and grey accents. It had no scratches or blemishes which I expected but, still gave it a close look. It feels light but, solid and has a nice feel to it just swinging it without the club head installed yet. I'm playing a light shaft already and it feels great. I should have taken more pictures but, I couldn't put the shaft down. It is one of the classiest shafts I've seen and easily compares to any shaft on the market in looks and feel. I have been aware of Accra shafts and the reputation they have for building quality products but, couldn't afford one being on SS. I don't know what else to say except I play by feel and that is why you see that reference so much. I'll post reviews and monitor results at a later time as requested and plenty of pictures. It has left me speechless which isn't easy to do. Thank you MyGolfSpy and Accra for the chance to test this shaft.

IMG_3232.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

IMG_3234.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

My handicap is down to about 12 now. I play about 3 times a month but, haven't played as much this summer due to storms and the heat here in Georgia. I will be playing more soon as you can play all year here. I play public courses with a semi-private or resort course thrown in.

Strengths are my driving which isn't long but, in the fairway. My mishits are usually just off the fairway. Very seldom hit a really bad drive anymore. My short game and putting are pretty good. My weakness is my iron play and hitting greens in regulation which I'm working on.

In the Bag - Driver - TM RBZ Stage 2 Bonded 10.5* w/ Accra Fx150 M3 Reg flex 45".

Fairway Wood - Cleveland Classic XL 15.5* w/ Matrix Ozik X-Con6 Reg flex

Hybrid - Cobra Baffler T-Rail+ 17* w/ Tour GD G70 Reg flex. (real deal shaft)

Irons - Cleveland 588 MT 3-SW w/ Actionlite 55 by UST/Mamiya

Putter - Ping Karsten TR PAL 35"

Ball- - Wilson Duo  (also play the Velocity, Srixon Soft, Callaway Super Soft)

This set fits as well as any I've played over the past 30 years. The irons are really easy to hit and Cleveland makes underrated clubs IMHO. The hybrid is the only one I've played that doesn't have a hook tendency. The driver with the new shaft will look like Shane Lowry's because I really liked it's distance, accuracy and forgiveness with the stock shaft. Now with the new one, all 3 are even better.  I've always been partial to Ping putters and this one rolls the ball really well. I'll play just about any low compression ball but, have found the Duo to combine both distance and feel and I can get several rounds out of it before it gets roughed up.

I had the shaft installed at the PGA Superstore and explained to Rick what I needed and he did a great job. I decided on 45" even though I can play the current standard of 46" . I felt that I can make more consistent center hits at 45" especially since I'm getting older which means more distance and better accuracy. The weight of the shaft before installing was 50 grams. I forgot what the overall weight is now that it's installed but, it feels similar to what it was before with the stock shaft. Rick spined it for me free of charge but, told me it really didn't need it. He said Accra's tolerances are some of the best in the business. As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words and the pictures show how great it looks. I can really feel where the club head is now which is due to the shaft which feels firmer than the stock shaft I had but not stiff like a board. I like the feel of the whole club a lot better and seem to be swinging a little faster. I will post the launch monitor results between the stock shaft and new one soon.

Launch Monitor shaft comparison was done at the PGA Superstore.

Stock RocketFuel Fujikura Reg Flex - Club Head speed - 85-89

Ball Speed - 124

Launch Angle - 13* - 15*

Spin Rate - 2800 +/-

Carry Distance - 200 yds

Smash Factor - 1.35

Accra  Fx 150 M3 Reg Flex - Club Head speed - 87-90

Ball Speed - 126

Launch Angle - 15* - 17*

Spin Rate - 2500 +/-

Carry Distance - 206

Smash Factor - 1.4

The first set of stats was done with the old shaft and then I left it at the store to have the new shaft installed. The second set of stats is with the Accra shaft after the install. I don't want to repeat myself but, just make it clear how the stats were acquired. I increased my Head speed, Launch Angle, Carry distance and Smash factor. I decreased my Spin Rate. I'm impressed by the increases even though they may be incremental because I'm 63 and any increase is a plus. I think with my continued exercises and the ability to practice more since retirement, I can increase club head speed, ball speed and gain more distance with the Accra shaft. The reduction in Spin rate by 300 is really nice. I also had a drive on the monitor of 216 total distance and carry which for me is impressive. Playing on the hard, fast fairways in Georgia (red clay base with Bermuda grass is predominant here) has increased my overall distance on the course so, I expect to increase my distance with the new shaft over the old one. We'll see shortly. I'm also happy with the increase in Launch angle since the weight is forward in the RBZ which gave me a penetrating flight which was good for rollout but, I wanted some extra carry which seems to have increased my overall distance at least on the monitor. I now get a nice mid high to high launch and the ball just stays in the air longer. It also seems to have a bit of kick through impact and that also helps. Overall, I'm very happy with the results hitting it inside. Next comes the real thing and I can't wait to get this driver on the course.

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3239.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_3252.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3259.JPG

IMG_3260.JPG

• Like 1

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

Accra has long been a name that has intrigued me. The top line of driver shafts offered by Golf Science, the Cape Town club fitters who built a superb set of Wishon clubs for me in late 2012; yet out of my price range at the time.

Those MOI-matched Wishon 560MCs irons, 775HS hybrids and a 919THI driver plus some quality coaching helped trim my handicap from the high teens to single figures, and in December I asked Golf Science to rebuild the set. The idea was to add a little more weight to each club, and place most of it in my hands by using slightly heavier shafts while trying out the MOI balance matching method (explained here by Rich Hunt http://3jack.blogspot.com/2013/12/moi-moi-balance-matching-faqs-part-ii.html). We went from S-flex KBS Tour 90 parallel tips to R-flex KBS Tour taper tips in the irons, and from graphite Wishon S2S White Hybrid to the heavier steel KBS Hybrid shafts.

The only shaft which survived the rebuild was my driver's: a 73g Wishon S2S White S-flex. As reshafting a driver costs more than any other club and the Wishon was still working well for me, Golf Science recommended sticking with it in an MOI balance matched form. Their main club builder, Geronne Nero, added a 10 gram counterweight under the grip to shift the balance point higher and bring it in sequence with the rest of the set.

Then came this opportunity to try an Accra.

Golf Science's head club fitter Regardt van Rooyen knew my swing and numbers well enough to immediately have the choice down to two of the mid-launch, mid-spin Fx200 series. The flex would be an M3, with the decision between the 62 or 70g versions. After checking some numbers on their launch monitor, Regardt recommended the heavier Accra variant, which would allow Geronne to more or less replicate the build and balance of my current driver - but with a more premium shaft.

Our order sent through to Accra, the Fx270 arrived in South Africa the following week. On Thursday I brought the 919THI in for surgery, and got my first look at its new transmission.

2015-08-08 2015-08-08 003 003.JPG

First off, the Accra looks considerably better in the flesh than an on their website. The base colour is a glossy black with Accra FX labelling in a subtle grey font down the middle, and Accra FX Series written in small-font katakana near the top. The lower half of the 200 series is a dark crimson red that fades into the black.

2015-08-08 2015-08-08 003 004.JPG

2015-08-08 2015-08-08 003 005.JPG

2015-08-08 2015-08-08 003 012.JPG

Less appealing is the large yellow and red Accra logo on one side of shaft. Personally, I would have preferred something of a similar tint to the katakana. Two shades of red and a good splash of yellow is already a lot of colour on the 30 or so inches of shaft left visible after a build. It also limits your choice of grips. Sticking with the orange Lamkin i6 which adds brightness to the rest of my set wasn't the cleverest of options. Black will be the new orange next time I drop by Golf Science!

2015-08-08 2015-08-08 004 007.JPG

You don't use a premium shaft for its looks though. It's the performance that counts. The well-fitted Wishon has delivered plenty of the latter for me. I'm interested to discover if the Accra can add some more on top.

2015-08-08 2015-08-08 004 008.JPG

2015-09-19 2015-09-19 001 002.JPG

'Fore right' were the two words I used to hold a space for this review, and fore right has been a big part of my experience testing this shaft...

To be clear, I don't think the too frequent fades and slices have anything to do with the Accra. I still have my Wishon S2S White S-flex set up identically to the Accra Fx270 and have tried swapping between the two on the range, on a launch monitor, and between rounds. Same pattern of misses. This dose of the rights seems to be a product of playing less golf due to work commitments and a couple of muscle strains, plus introducing some unproductive moves while playing around with my swing in an attempt to add some distance. I hope so anyway.

First some numbers:

Driving accuracy with the Wishon 919THI and 44.25” S2S White between May 2014 and January 2015
Old Wishon driving data.jpg

Driving accuracy with the Wishon 919THI and 43.75” S2S White after a January rebuild (Shaft length cut by half an inch, MOI reduced to 2805 and a 10g counterweight added under the grip to put more weight in my hands and match the balance point with the rest of my set)
Rebuilt Wishon driving data.jpg

Driving accuracy with the Wishon 919THI and 43.75” Accra Fx270
Accra driving data.jpg

To properly test the shaft (and keep my set consistent) the Accra was set up as close to the Wishon S2S as Golf Science could manage. Same 10g counterweight under the grip, same Lamkin i6 grip, same C8.5 swingweight. MOI went up marginally to 2809, total club weight by 0.3 of a gramme to 349.7, and the frequency measurement of the installed Accra shaft was 250cpm, against 254cpm for the old Wishon.

Regardt and Geronne at Golf Science also had the Wishon shaft installed in another 11 degree 919THI head so we could test the two shafts directly against each other, back to back.

One problem: operator error.

The comparative launch monitor data we've come up with are clouded with me fighting a swing error and trying various fixes as we went along. That's not an ideal scenario for accurate testing, but head-to-head the Wishon delivered better Flightscope numbers.

Wishon vs Accra.jpg

The Wishon produced 5 metres more carry, 8 metres more total distance, tighter dispersion, 1.5mph faster swing speed, marginally better smash factor, lower spin and a lower launch angle. The Accra sent the ball higher and kept it in the air longer, but in not a good way.

As I say, these numbers aren't as clean as we'd have liked. I hit the Wishon shaft first, hit a lot of balls in an attempt to produce a better flight, and was getting mentally tired of the mis-hits by the time I switched to the Accra. I'm by no means a high swing-speed player, but was down on past numbers throughout the session. While Ball striking was actually reasonably good in terms of smash factor, I was essentially hitting almost everything with an overly open face.

In a separate session I asked Regardt, who is also a teaching pro to look for any obvious flaws in my swing. He noticed that I was addressing the ball with too upright a posture, which would produce an out-to-win swing path whenever I failed to readjust at the top of the backswing. Regardt got me to concentrate on bending more from my hips, keeping my hands lower and bringing the clubhead back low on the backswing. With a 6 iron that immediately sorted out my path while also improving strike. We ended up bending the 6 iron's lie angle two degrees flat to fit the new posture and impact position.

Smiles all round until we went back to the drivers and found that though my path was good I was still connecting with the ball with an open club face... After running through various potential causes (grip, alignment, forward press), we think the problem is partly to do with my release, and partly an issue with hip movement. Because of that I'm getting stuck on the right side and failing to transfer my weight through impact. I'm working on fixing it, and have a had a couple of decent-scoring rounds in which I've got the shot shape down to a reasonably powerful fade, but it's not there yet. On the plus side, the change of posture has improved my iron play.

Conclusion of all this is that I don't have a final one on the Accra yet. We'd like to do another launch monitor comparison once I've got my driver swing in better shape.

My subjective impression is that the Accra is capable of sending the ball further than the Wishon – on several holes of my home course I've had my longest drive playing it. That, of course, is no guarantee of average distance improvements. I'd rather hit two 200m drives in the fairway and one just off the edge with old shaft, than one 220m in the fairway, one 200m with a big fade, and one 180m slice into the rough. And I'd rather hit the whole lot a longer average yardage!

In terms of feel, the Accra has the edge for me. It delivers a more solid, slightly more convincing contact. It feels like the ball should fly better – though the launch monitor is telling me otherwise. Ordered new, the Accra, however, is also considerably more expensive than the S2S White – and I could not see myself paying the extra for a difference in feel alone.

Where the Accra does look to have a clear edge is in the relative uniformity of its acceleration profile. Essentially this is a measure of how consistently a shaft unloads the energy stored in it by your swing. According to Regardt, both the Wishon S2S and the Fx270 perform well in this regard - way ahead of the choppy lines Golf Science see with many stock shafts - but the Accra is the best of the two. If well fitted to your swing, that is a characteristic that could be worth the extra expenditure.

Accra acceleration profile: 
2015-09-02 2015-09-02 001 012.JPG

Wishon acceleration profile: 
2015-09-02 2015-09-02 001 013.JPG

As I mentioned before, I'm not a huge fan of the Accra's yellow-red colour scheme, though it pairs well with the matte white Wishon head. Changing to a black and white Lamkin crossline grip improved the overall look for me. What I haven't been so impressed with is the durability of the shaft's finish. I'm careful with my clubs but walking the course with the Accra in a Ping 4 Series bag has resulted in noticeable scuff marks on the gloss black areas of the shaft.

2015-09-28 2015-09-28 001 002.JPG

Thanks again to Accra and MyGolfSpy for the opportunity to play the Fx270. It's been fun, and an education.

2015-09-02 2015-09-02 001 012.JPG

2015-09-02 2015-09-02 001 013.JPG

2015-09-19 2015-09-19 001 002.JPG

Our boys are in the air!  Look for the first unboxing posts soon, and from the backroom chatter, look for some pretty informative and interesting reviews from these guys!

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo