TESTERS WANTED! ×

OEM product cycle

superduper

Just this evening, I saw a new post on my FB account, guess what!! a new Callaway Big Bertha driver.  So I wonder why the OEM releases new product almost every 3 months.   I mean what's the point of that?  Is it better?   probably not because how can you make a better product in less than 3 months from the previous one.  Typical R&D for a product is at least 6 months. 

Do these OEMs make money by increasing the product cycle?  probably not, because they number of US golfers is dropping. and they stockpile the number of stocks in their warehouse.  

And are they trying to kill the retailers by selling directly to customers?  

Next to fishermen... golfers are the worlds biggest suckers and the OEM's know it. Am I wrong?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The simple answer to Super Duper's question would seem to be YES!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There are two ways of looking at it.

On the one hand, it's reassuring when a particular OEM stands by it's product release cycle and rarely if ever release a new product in this 2 year period. Titleist springs to mind in this example. 

The problem is, everybody wants the latest product a lot sooner than 2 years - and lot's of "tour only",

"prototype" and other "one-offs" never really make it to retail but satisfy the bloodlust for something new. It can be considered as a bit of a rip off, particularly when the limited release products demand much more than normal retail (e.g. Vokey, Scotty Cameron). Is it any better than retail performance wise? That's the big question.

Now if we take Taylormade for example, they would rather release products as soon as they have them ready to go to retail for two reasons. 1 - they genuinely want the end user to take full advantage of the available "tech"as soon as possible. Why deny anybody the option to try a product (unlike Titleist)? 2.They have a lot more shareholders to satisfy - without a constant stream of new products and concepts, the revenue stream would dry up a lot quicker with a 2 year product cycle. 

So two different OEM's get the most money they can by using different routes to market. There's the "stack them high and sell them cheap(ish)" approach and there's the "let's keep it exclusive and add a hefty mark up" approach.

I prefer the "I'll just buy the latest equipment I can afford" approach. This usually means letting some other mug buy something at full retail and then I'll buy it a couple of months later lightly used for a bargain.

Titleist has never really embraced the concept of selling approved used products via their website because  of their strict product cycle and exclusivity concept. TM and Callaway on the other hand can also benefit from second hand sales of equipment because of the shorter product cycle.

What driver did Callaway release three months ago?

OK... late 2014: BB Alpha 815 and BB Alpha DD

February 2015: those XR drivers

During masters tournament: some BB mini driver

Now: I don't  even bother to see the model but it has a big bertha name with black head....

Maybe next month another new one....

Just "Like" Callaway on your FB account. 

OK... late 2014: BB Alpha 815 and BB Alpha DD

February 2015: those XR drivers

During masters tournament: some BB mini driver

Now: I don't  even bother to see the model but it has a big bertha name with black head....

Maybe next month another new one....

Just "Like" Callaway on your FB account. 

Just because they've released pictures of their new driver doesn't mean it has been released and is available for purchase. I'm no Callaway fanboy, but the drivers you are mentioning have one year product life cycles and that is basically what this will be (as you posted above) and they've never had a "mini" driver before.

You do know that you don't have to buy a new driver every time they come out, right?

Just because they've released pictures of their new driver doesn't mean it has been released and is available for purchase. I'm no Callaway fanboy, but the drivers you are mentioning have one year product life cycles and that is basically what this will be (as you posted above) and they've never had a "mini" driver before.

You do know that you don't have to buy a new driver every time they come out, right?

Never had a mini driver before?   The Xhot 2 deep and X2hot 2 deeps are called the mini drivers and they have been doing it before Tmag released the mini driver. 

Phil "lefty" mickelson used it during the 2013 Masters to replace his big dog....

AND when some online magazine released a new picture of a "new tech" driver, it means it will be available soon.... in the next few weeks or the next following month....

Of course, I don't buy the latest equipment.   It's just more people spend on clubs now than on lessons and it doesn't do any good.  Do you know the best equipment I have bought in the last 3 months?  It's the 3 bays GSA Pro.  I fixed my out to in path after 3 months.... check the instruction section in this forum and you'll see my post.

The deeps were never titled mini-drivers; they've always been considered fairway woods. Potato potatoe i guess...

You're quite the genius that you've figured out they're going to be released soon... Were you mad when Titleist announced their 716 irons last week or two weeks ago, too?

The deeps were never titled mini-drivers; they've always been considered fairway woods. Potato potatoe i guess...

You're quite the genius that you've figured out they're going to be released soon... Were you mad when Titleist announced their 716 irons last week or two weeks ago, too?

U r rather defensive regarding this.  Do you work for the OEM?   u sound like one....

Well let me tell your something, the sales are dropping (read the reports on this website) and people are getting sick of companies releasing product every 3 months because they one they bought a couple months before became obsolete.  That's why!!!    

Oh btw,  the x hot deeps are not Fairway woods..... I have one myself (14.5 degree)... and try to hit it off the deck (on the course and not on a driving mat).... a fairway wood is supposed to be forgiving to hit off the deck and I would not categorized the 3 deep as a fairway wood.   It's a mini driver, genius....

I'm not trying to discourage people from buying new clubs but I have these 3 drivers from Nike:

Nike Sasquatch Tour

Nike VR Tour 420cc

Nike Covert Performance 2.0

Guess what.... the straightest and the longest one is the SQ Tour.  And it's from a 2006 product cycle. 

U r rather defensive regarding this.  Do you work for the OEM?   u sound like one....

Well let me tell your something, the sales are dropping (read the reports on this website) and people are getting sick of companies releasing product every 3 months because they one they bought a couple months before became obsolete.  That's why!!!    

Oh btw,  the x hot deeps are not Fairway woods..... I have one myself (14.5 degree)... and try to hit it off the deck (on the course and not on a driving mat).... a fairway wood is supposed to be forgiving to hit off the deck and I would not categorized the 3 deep as a fairway wood.   It's a mini driver, genius....

I'm not trying to discourage people from buying new clubs but I have these 3 drivers from Nike:

Nike Sasquatch Tour

Nike VR Tour 420cc

Guess what.... the straightest and the longest one is the SQ Tour.  And it's from a 2006 product cycle. 

I have the X2Hot 14.5* and can hit it just fine off the deck with no issues.  I would consider it more of a fairway wood than a mini driver based on the footprint.  Only reason it is not in my bag is I like the 915Fd a lot better now that I have the shaft issue sorted out.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Nike Sasquatch Tour

Nike VR Tour 420cc

Guess what.... the straightest and the longest one is the SQ Tour. And it's from a 2006 product cycle.

Maybe it's the longest cause it's the best fit for your swing.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Maybe it's the longest cause it's the best fit for your swing.

reality is harder to digest, isn't it?  When somebody says the real thing, people don't believe it.   Those 3 are all custom fitted by a professional club fitter.   The VR Tour is a tour spec head with 0.1 degree of accuracy for the loft.

I have the X2Hot 14.5* and can hit it just fine off the deck with no issues.  I would consider it more of a fairway wood than a mini driver based on the footprint.  Only reason it is not in my bag is I like the 915Fd a lot better now that I have the shaft issue sorted out.

hahah no issues because you have a +1 handicap?   Just ask an average golfer with 18 handicap to hit it....

hahah no issues because you have a +1 handicap?   Just ask an average golfer with 18 handicap to hit it....

Not sure handicap has anything to really do with it. I play with 15s that can flat out stripe a 3 iron.....me not so much. It is all what you are comfortable with.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Not sure handicap has anything to really do with it. I play with 15s that can flat out stripe a 3 iron.....me not so much. It is all what you are comfortable with.

YES correct.  It's more about your ball striking skill.  But if you have a +1 handicap, it means you really have a solid golf swing with a very good short game.   You wouldn't have to worry

to hit anything unforgiving....

Regarding the xhot 3 deep, well back in 2013. I think I watched the video from a callaway engineer discussing the primary use of the 3 deep.  He said the deep face is designed to hit it off the tee (so you can use a tee for a higher launch angle which is good for longer carry).  It's playable off the deck but it's not designed for it.  Don't call me a smarta##.  I have been a club ho since 2010.  And I follow every "tech" behind a new golf club.   I also do clubmaking at home as a hobby so I know if the new club fits my game.     

Haha don't feed the troll.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

The faster an OEM releases new product, the sooner I can get it second hand at a deep discount.

What's the problem?

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

TMAG kind of started it.  Releasing several version of the same driver in the same year at 3 month intervals.  They made a ton of money on it and Cally is just following suit.

Personally, I think 2 year intervals is perfect and Id like to see OEMs release all of their new stuff at the same time so that people can make an informed decision.

I mean, if you want a new driver and they release one and you buy it but then a few months later they release a slightly different version that you actually like better but you just spend $400 on a new driver, thats kind of annoying.

Lately, I kind of feel like Callaway has gone to being just like TMAG: huge marketing campaigns on clubs that really arent all that great but people buy into it and as you have seen, Callaway has had a resurgence as of late, so clearly its a strategy that works. 

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

What makes it more frustrating: you buy something and a year later it's worth 30 bucks and they are reselling it for 100.

It's a very frustrating practice, but seems like they are going away from it because of the backlash.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Exactly

TMAG kind of started it.  Releasing several version of the same driver in the same year at 3 month intervals.  They made a ton of money on it and Cally is just following suit.

Personally, I think 2 year intervals is perfect and Id like to see OEMs release all of their new stuff at the same time so that people can make an informed decision.

I mean, if you want a new driver and they release one and you buy it but then a few months later they release a slightly different version that you actually like better but you just spend $400 on a new driver, thats kind of annoying.

Lately, I kind of feel like Callaway has gone to being just like TMAG: huge marketing campaigns on clubs that really arent all that great but people buy into it and as you have seen, Callaway has had a resurgence as of late, so clearly its a strategy that works. 

1 year interval is good enough.   Nike, Cobra, Mizuno, Cleveland, Tour Edge are mostly doing a yearly product release.  Frankly, Tmag is better in some way than Callaway.   The last time I remember they released a new driver was in late 2014, The R15 and Aeroburner.   Even if Tmag releases a new product is in the different category of the same model (eg: Aeroburner Irons).   It's callaway who's doing it out of control with their drivers now....

Also one more thing, this member (not YOU) who has been trolling this thread badly is kinda "slow" (seriously he's slow) and he should go back to grammar school to learn how to READ.  He mentioned that why I didn't get annoyed when Titleist released a new product a few weeks before?   Well I couldn't recall when Titleist released a new iron before , this year or last year.  I LIKED all the OEM golf equipment companies on my FB account to follow their new product releases.  AND I rarely notice at all when Titleist is releasing a new product in 3 months cycle.  Titleist is a classy company.  No gimmicks and "tech" but it works....

What makes it more frustrating: you buy something and a year later it's worth 30 bucks and they are reselling it for 100.

It's a very frustrating practice, but seems like they are going away from it because of the backlash.

If you are referring to a brand new one-year-old driver, no, it's not worth $30.  It's more like 50% off from the retail at the store.  

One good thing, tour issue heads will never drop in price.... I just saw an SLDR 430 tour issue head for $600.....

Never had a mini driver before?   The Xhot 2 deep and X2hot 2 deeps are called the mini drivers and they have been doing it before Tmag released the mini driver. 

Phil "lefty" mickelson used it during the 2013 Masters to replace his big dog....

AND when some online magazine released a new picture of a "new tech" driver, it means it will be available soon.... in the next few weeks or the next following month....

Of course, I don't buy the latest equipment.   It's just more people spend on clubs now than on lessons and it doesn't do any good.  Do you know the best equipment I have bought in the last 3 months?  It's the 3 bays GSA Pro.  I fixed my out to in path after 3 months.... check the instruction section in this forum and you'll see my post.

I've got an old Warbird 3+ down in storage that has to be at least 12 years old.  That club, a 2 wood loft on a 3 wood shaft, is today's mini-driver.  I've had a 3+, or mini-driver as they now call it, in my bag ever since.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

It always amuses me when people complain about product releases. In most other areas, new items are anticipated, just because it is new you aren't forced to buy it, your current product doesn't suddenly drop in performance because a new one came out.

The hardest thing for me has been as a retailer and having to judge stock levels so I don't end up with a back log of product, but most customers seem to be happy that they can get newer stuff at reduced prices since the next model is coming.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

If you are referring to a brand new one-year-old driver, no, it's not worth $30.  It's more like 50% off from the retail at the store.  

One good thing, tour issue heads will never drop in price.... I just saw an SLDR 430 tour issue head for $600.....

You get the gist of what I meant. After a year Callaway didn't custom fit my irons or couldn't I'd have to do it myself through a store. 

It's astounding sometimes the product cycle and how quick your stuff is outdated.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Archived