Jrshields            -  First Impression    Review    Follow Up            

Gymflake            - First Impression    Review    Follow Up

DHayse32           - First Impression    Review    Follow Up

bhollyday           -  First Impression    Review    Follow Up

skwieland           - First Impression    Review    Follow Up

Jdiddyesquire    - First Impression    Review    Follow Up

http://www.cobragolf.com/golf-clubs/fairways

First Impression

Upon opening the box, one of my favorite things to do, I was very pleased with the sleek look of the head. I like the silver/ steel line at the back of the head. It will serve as an alignment marker.Overall, I give the club an A for looks. It all flows together very well and looks great at address.

Not a fan of the sock like headcover. Just not my style. If it stays in my bag, it well definitely be switched.Also, my club came with a stiff shaft and I play an x stiff. We had ordered it with the x stiff but haven't received the new shaft yet so I will proceed with the stiff shaft.

Cobra Fly Z+ bottom.jpg

After hearing I was going to be involved in the testing of the Fly Z+, I took the time to look at the specs and couldn't wait to compare it to my current three wood, Titleist 915 Fd, to see how much smaller the head was and what the shape looked like in comparison. 

Cobra Fly Z+ TITLEIST (2).jpg

Interesting note, I carry a Taylormade driver and Titleist fairway and hybrid and either wrench works for both. The Cobra wrench only works on the Cobra club.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.0*/Accra Tour Zx475 75 x stiff
Fairway: Titleist TSi2 13.5*/Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 85 x stiff
Hybrid/ Driving Iron: Titleist U505 3 iron 20*/ Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke 90 x stiff
Irons: Cobra Forged Tec 4-PW/ KBS C Taper stiff hard stepped once
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50*F/ KBS C Taper x stiff
Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*D/ TT DG s200
Wedges: Vokey Hand Ground 58*T/ TT DG Tour s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Monterey 35"
Ball: Titleist Pro Pro V1

Review

Cobra Fly Z+ top.jpg

I have played Cobra drivers in the past. From the King Cobra (loved the distance, hated the frying pan bang!) to the ZLE (loved it!), but I have never used any other club made by them. While I am a fan of Rickie Fowler's golf ability, his style is not mine so I have never given much thought to the brand. I have noticed their clubs as of late and will say the looks and style have definitely been improving in their latest models. For that reason, I was very excited to play and write a review on the new Fly Z+ fairway wood.

Like others on this site, I have a confession to make: I am a club ho and an equipment junkie. I am always excited to try out new stuff and to see how it compares to what is in my bag. That said I had high hopes for this club. I have played Titleist, Taylormade and Callaway fairway metals in the past and wanted to see what the new clubs and changing, aggressive club manufacturers were offering.

Range Performance 

The Challenger: Cobra FlyZ+, 13* 43” Matrix VLCT ST 95 Stiff-Flex shaft. 

The Champ: Titleist 915Fd 13* 43” Fujikura Motore Speeder TS VC 9.2  X-Flex shaft 

Cobra Fly Z+ TITLEIST (2).jpg

I use the range as place to develop a feel for my clubs. I want to see how it feels and what can I do with the club. You can't expect much from range balls, so I'm looking for ball flight and how well I can move the ball with my shots. With the Fly Z+, the shaft caused me to slow my swing down so it took some time with the club before I felt comfortable taking it to the course. My range time was very extensive.

I have to consider the 3 wood the toughest club to find. Because it can be hit off the tee and off the deck it is, in my opinion the hardest club to fill in the bag. It needs to be long, accurate and stable. I have played a variety of 3 woods from the Taylormade R7TP to the Titleist 910 Fd, Then to the Callaway XHot Pro and back to the Taylormade SLDR and finally back to Titleist with the 915 Fd. Out of all of them, the Titleist clubs have been my favorites. I was also fond of the Cally XHot Pro. The Cobra sets up very nice and has a small compact head that is very similar to the 915. The silver strip along the back gives it an image of being even smaller. The swing weight feels good and the club just looks good! The shaft is an altogether different story. I found the stock shaft to be less than a typical stiff shaft. So I took to my clubfitter and measured it on the frequency machine and it came out as a regular flex.

Accuracy: The FlyZ+, when compared to my 915, was not even close!. I have a very loaded swing and found myself having to back off considerably with the Fly Z+ because the shaft couldn't handle the load. If I gave it a full swing, which is 85%, I consistently lost this to the right (I am a left hander). I was swinging at 60% and could hit the ball with a controlled draw with this club. Advantage: 915Fd 

Distance Because I couldn't swing as hard with the Fly Z +, distance was not even close. But, I will say this about the head, if it is paired with the correct shaft, it has the potential to be a bomber! You can feel the ball come off the face and it does feel like it wants to go far. I am thinking of putting another shaft in this after the trial to see what the head will do with the proper shaft. In my opinion the stock shaft isn't a good match for me. Advantage: 915Fd 

Trajectory: I am a naturally high launch hitter. So, I have to find what works best to keep my launch levels in control so I can get optimum launch and roll. The 915 paired with the Motore Speeder TS is great. I would like to see the Fly Z + paired with a similar shaft. I did find that with a controlled swing, I could keep a very medium height trajectory with the Cobra and saw no ballooning at the end of the shot. It did achieve good roll , 15- 20 yds at the end of the shot as well. Advantage: 915Fd

Control: I like to work the ball, especially with the 3 wood as it is my go to on a tight par 4 where placement is key. I can't control that as well with the Fly Z + because of the shaft. Advantage: 915Fd

Range Score: 70 out of 100 

Fly Z+ Titleist faces.jpg

Performance on the Course

Once I find “my swing” on the range I can take it to the course. We all have our days where nothing works but that is usually on both the range and the course for me. That is why we develop our “go to” shots that get us through those rounds.

I knew that the Fly Z+ would serve me well as long as I swung with a more controlled tempo. It has helped me find a tempo that slows my space down and gives me a more fluid swing. I was excited to see how this compared on some holes that always seemed to have my number.

I played my normal courses with both clubs and got 7 rounds in with the Fly Z+. I found my accuracy numbers went up as I hit 6 of 7 fairways where I used the Cobra and 4 of 7 with the Titleist (2 of the Titleist misses were just barely in the first cut). But I did notice I was consistently 20 yds shorter or more off the tee. On approach shots, I on ly had two per round, the distance gap was about the same. I will attribute that to the drop in power usage that I was going with to keep the shaft in control. I will say this, because I was swinging with more control, I was very confident my shots would end up where I had planned.

Course Score: 88 out of 100 

Performance Notes

I am very excited to provide a review and dropped all expectancies of what I would or could think of this club until I was able to swing it. I think Con=bra did an excellent job in manufacturing this head. I think they left something to be desired in picking the stock shaft. It seems everyone is coming with exotics or “near” exotics for stock shafts these days and Cobra is lagging there.

Total Performance Score: 79 out of 100 

Fly Z+ Titleist bottom.jpg

Subjective

It is hard to argue with the looks of this club. It has a smaller head and a very clean design. There are no funky logos or garish designs to distract you. The silver along the back gives a great outline and frame for the club. I wouldn't change a thing. Great job.

The headcover on the other hand, is a bad choice. It looks like a thick sock with a logo sewn on. There a lot of better options out there. 

Looks Score: 100/100 on the club– 10/100 for the headcover. 

Cobra Fly Z+ face.jpg

Sound and Feel

I do not like a lot of boom when I hit a ball with a fairway metal. I prefer a muted sound and that “pop” when you know you have felt perfection. Cobra did a great job with this club as it has a very muted sound and feels great when you hit it perfectly.  Found it to be very responsive and hold well when swung with control.

I am not a fan of the stock shaft as I felt it way under performs. It was too whippy and not a true stiff shaft. I am not a user of the Lamkin Crossline but found it an acceptable grip

Sound and Feel Score: 90 of 100 

Likelihood of Purchase (LOP)

Knowing that I typically change the stock shaft out of whatever club I purchase, I would say the Fly Z+ has a 50% chance of likelihood of something I would purchase.

LOP Score: 50 out of 100 

Subjective Notes 

The FlyZ+ is a very solid candidate for someone looking for a new fairway wood. Make sure you try it witht eh stock shaft and see if it fits your swing or if you'll be replacing it. The head performs very well off the tee and the deck. I would definitely get a new headcover.

Total Subjective Score: 62.5 out of 100

Conclusion 

This is a very solid club. My low ranking come from things that are changeable about the club, shaft and headcover. I could play this club and be very happy but I know my 915 very well and can't see that coming out of my bag from this test.

Total Score: 71 out of 100

The Five  

1. Will this FlyZ+ Fairway go in your bag? Why or why not?

A: No, I don't want to go through the hassle of finding the right shaft at this point and my 915 is performing well.

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this FlyZ+ Fairway? Why? 

A: Anyone that is looking for a new fairway. This is a very solid clubhead and with the right shaft will be an excellent performer.. 

3. How, if at all, did this FlyZ+ Fairway change your overall impression of Cobra? 

A: This showed me that Cobra is in this to make a mark. They have made a very solid club and I will look at all their offerings in the future.

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? 

A: Get better stock shaft selections and get a new headcover. 

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in 

future models? 

A: Keep doing what you're doing with the clubhead. This is a great head and once it is paired correctly will make a big splash.

Hybrid/ Driving Iron: Titleist U505 3 iron 20*/ Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke 90 x stiff

Follow Up

While the Fly Z+ isn't going to make my bag, it is a step in the right direction. I realize Cobra has a whole new lineup out and I have tested and really like the LTD driver. It seems to have come out of the Fly Z and is a great improvement.

I can't say whether the 3 wood will replace my 915fD but we'll see.

First Impression

Got an e-mail this morning (6-20) stating that no one has heard from Cobra for the club testing so I was a little bummed but was determined to remain patient. Then when I walked up the stairs to my apartment, after a round at my favorite course, there it was laying up against the corner of my front door. The Box!

post-32613-0-21911400-1439158631_thumb.j

Very nicely packed, couldn't wait to see which of the fairway woods I would be testing.  It's the Fly-Z +.  I was hoping for some funky color, like Orange or Green but lucked out with standard Black.  Not just black, but when in the sun, the black sparkles! Nice look.

post-32613-0-88700900-1439158705_thumb.j

The face is slim and the crown sleek. The club feels heavy in your hands. I am looking forward to see and feel it perform and change some lofts. The Lampkin grip really feels great.  I believe that a fairway wood off the deck, is the hardest club to hit so it will be fun to dial this in to see how it performs.  I will be taking it to the range, both grass and matts, then two full rounds.  Stay tuned!

IMG_20150714_161115767.jpg

IMG_20150714_161459292.jpg

In my bag:

983e (any questions?)

Cleveland Mashie M1 15.5

Cleveland Mashie M2 18.0

Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 5-P

Cleveland RTX 2.0 Tour Satin Wedges- 52 10.0 B, 56 8.0 B, 60 10.0 B

Odyssey Works Versa #7 Putter

Optional 14th club(s) Cleveland Mashie M3 20.5 Cleveland Mashie M4 23.0

Top Flite® Gamer Soft

True Linkswear golf shoes. Game Changer Pro! Very comfortable!

Review

In my bag:

983e (any questions?)

Cleveland Mashie M1 15.5

Cleveland Mashie M2 18.0

Top Flite® Gamer Soft

Follow up

In my bag:

983e (any questions?)

Cleveland Mashie M1 15.5

Cleveland Mashie M2 18.0

Top Flite® Gamer Soft

Cobra_Golf_Logo.jpg

Well I am sure I speak for everyone when I express how excited I am to be a part of this test.  Even though I love my current 3-wood, I have had the itch to upgrade to a newer fairway.   I have owned several Cobra drivers (currently gaming FlyZ) and love their irons (currently hitting both FlyZ+ and AMP Forged)….but for some reason never owned a Cobra fairway, so this is a perfect club for me to review.  

Unboxing:

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3590.jpg

I anxiously checked the front door for this box every night until it finally arrived last week.  I rarely buy next clubs because, 1) I like saving a few bucks, and 2) I want to stay married.   Initial impressions were as expected; Club was packaged perfectly, well protected and secure.  Included with the club was the sock style headcover, which I am not a huge fan of, and of course the booklet and adjustment wrench.  I quickly confirmed the specs, 43” on the nose.  For my swing, I want a low launching, low spin 3-wood, so when I saw the Fly-Z+ model I was very excited since the weight forward, low center of gravity set up fits me prefectly.   I also prefer a heavier and stiffer fairway so I was I was glad to see the Matrix VLCT ST X-Flex shaft.  

Initial Impressions:

HAY_1272.JPG

HAY_1275.JPG

HAY_1254.JPG

HAY_1276.JPG

The head was a little smaller that my current 3-wood, which is a Titleist 910F.d. (more comparisons with that later).  I liked the shape of the head and the way it looked at address.  Like everyone knows, Cobra offers a wide range of colors with this particular head being the standard black, which I am fine with.  The other color offerings are awesome with green/orange being my favorites.   I have heard some people hating on the gold weight on the club, didn't bother me.  Adjustment on the club is as easy as it gets.  Love the opening on the head that allows you to actually see what setting you are on.  The head/shaft/grip were all flawless as expected.

Feel: 

First think I noticed was that club SEEMED very long.  It was the standard 43”, but I have grown accustom to playing a slightly shorter 3-wood.   I will have to just choke down a tad when I get to the course.   The club did ooze with confidence though and had it not been raining I would have donated some balls into my neighbor's field.  The X-Flex shaft was stout, but didn't seem to be too much.  Overall the club has a great feel and a nice look at approach.  

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

Cobra Fly-Z+ Fairway – Official MGS Forum Review by dhayse32 

HAY_1492 (1280x848).jpg

You hit Cobra's? That is a common response when people see the Cobra clubs in my bag. For whatever reason, the brand just isn't super popular around here, although in recent years that is changing some (Rickie Fowler anyone?). Another common response I get is when I ask people if they have ever actually hit a Cobra club, which is normally a “No”. Most people seemed brainwashed that only Ping, Titleist and TaylorMade make top notch equipment, and while I do like some of their clubs, they aren't for everyone. 

I am willing to admit that I am addicted to buying and selling clubs. I would hate to know the number of drivers/irons/putters I have tried over the last few years. I typically always come back to what I know works, hence the Fly-Z+/AMP Forged irons I own and the Fly-Z driver that sits in the bag. However, that is not the case when it comes to my 3-wood. I have hit this Titleist 910Fd 13.5* since it came out…it is my sweetheart. The only fairway I tried to replace it with was the 913Fd 13.5*, which I didn't like nearly as well. If I need to find the fairway, this is the club. It goes straight and is longer than some of my buddies drivers…but as a Cobra guy, I was excited to get the chance to compare my baby to this Fly-Z+. 

Range Performance 

The Challenger: Cobra FlyZ+, 13* 43” Matrix VLCT ST X-Flex shaft. 

The Champ: Titleist 910F.d 12.75* 42.5” Grafalloy BiMatrix X-Flex shaft 

HAY_1484 (1280x848).jpg

Typically when I go to the range I am concerned with one thing, accuracy. Range balls seems to give flakey distances at times so for me it is more important to pick a spot and launch balls in that direction. Like any new club, I feel there is a break in period. With this club playing a little longer than my current 3-wood, it took a couple of range sessions before I felt comfortable enough to give this a fair review. 

I consider my 910 a point and shoot fairway wood. When I need to find a fairway or reach a green on a par-5, this is my club. Dethroning this will not be an easy task. Enter the FlyZ+. My first few cuts with this thing were nasty…not a good nasty. Toe hit after toe hit, slice after slice…Initial impression wasn't good, I eventually just put the club away for the day. My next range session was much different. My swing felt great with every club leading up to my woods. Took a few cuts with the driver then the 910F.d before grabbing the FlyZ+. My target was a flag that I ranged out to about 240 yards. My goal is to be within 15-20 yards on either side of this flag to represent a fairway….here are my results. 

Accuracy: The FlyZ+, when compared to my 910, was slightly more sporadic. I initially found myself slightly pushing the ball right of my desired target. The shaft feels a little whippier than my BiMatrix so I wasn't too concerned, plus this club is still new to me. I never hit any nasty slices or big hooks with the Cobra. Advantage: 910F.d. 

Distance: This was the biggest difference in the clubs. The FlyZ+ was consistently carrying 10-15 longer than my 910 and seemed effortless. With my 910, I feel the impact and it is “solid” feel. The FlyZ+ you 

can feel the ball rocket off the face and is feels as if you never hit anything. Hard to describe, but day and night between the two, but I enjoy the feeling of both. Advantage: FlyZ+ 

Trajectory: One thing I have always loved about my 910 is the low launching bullets that it produces. The negative side of this is that I get no roll. The ball starts low, somewhat balloons and drops. The higher I launch my 910, the shorter it goes. The FlyZ+ on the other hand produced a higher flight and the balls appears to go forever…and I get roll! Advantage: FlyZ+

Control: I am not a ball worker. The only adjustment I have is a “power fade” which is basically me moving the back slightly in my stance. This club, like my 910, does just fine! Advantage: Both 

Range Score: 85 out of 100 

HAY_1481 (1024x678).jpg

Performance on the Course

For me, and I would say I am not alone, making the transition from the range to the course isn't always smooth sailing. I can have all of my issues solved on the range but then hit the course and forget why I am there. It is probably the most frustrating thing about golf. So the way I hit the FlyZ+ on the range would have little bearing on whether or not I would keep it in the bag regardless of how well I hit it. 

I would say by this point I have had this FlyZ+ on the course for roughly 8-10 rounds. A few round in there I am not sure I even hit it, but others I went with it off the tee on tighter fairways and plenty second shots into par-5s. Any shot I had where it was required, I would drop a second ball and hit my current 910 from the same spot. The results would actually a little shocking to me. First off, this is a bomber. I have hit some great shots with my 910 and never complained about the distance, but this FlyZ+ is even longer on the course. I don't LOVE the shaft, hard to explain but maybe the extra length turns me off, but hard to be mad with the results. 

Couple of examples: Par-5, second shot, 280 to the flag I hit my 910 as good as I can hit it up to about 40 yards from the pin while the FlyZ+ went up on to the fringe, somewhere in the 265-270 range; Another shot on a longer 4 requires a perfect drive off the tee. Driver is too much club, as the fairway bottlenecks down tight about 100yards from the hole. I have hit my 910 perfectly and leaves me about 145 out so…the FlyZ+ had me in the bottleneck about 110 out. That hole I have played 50+ times and never seen a ball that perfect before. 

It's not like I drive the ball 330 on every swing. These 3-wood numbers are not far behind a good driver for me. A TYPICAL good drive is 285-290 yards. I can hit a 300+ yard drive every now and then, but those are few and far between. So a fairway that gets me in the 265-270 and in the fairway…I'll take it! 

Fairways: Only comparing this to my 910, I hit the same number of fairways with the FlyZ+, just longer. 

Advantage: FlyZ+ 

Distance: Now not every shot was 40 yards longer, but consistently I found that I get 15-20yards over my current gamer. I haven't noticed much, if any, difference in accuracy either. Advantage: FlyZ+ 

Consistency: One I got adjusted to the distance, the FlyZ+ didn't vary much performance wise. I never found myself hitting it 250 on one hole and 200 on the next. 

Carry Vs. Roll: As I mentioned, I never get roll. I am used to seeing where my ball landed and fining my ball 2 yards away. I am all carry. The FlyZ+ FINALLY gives me some roll (same with the FlyZ driver). On similar shots, I get roughly 10-20 yards more roll from the Cobra. Advantage: FlyZ+ 

Range Score: 92 out of 100 

HAY_1493 (1280x848).jpg

Performance Notes

Overall, I went into this review with an open mind but I was also fully prepared to stick with my 910fd. The on course performance was pretty amazing. I am excited to continue to put it to the test and see if the results are still there. 

Total Performance Score: 88.5 out of 100 

(P)

Subjective (SIZE 4) 

Looks are 100% personal preference. My main issue with some fairways is the size, they almost looking driver-ish. I like a slightly smaller footprint (although the Fd is larger than the F) and I like a simple design. The FlyZ+ has a great look in my opinion. Simple, nice shape, no big flashy graphics on the head. My biggest design issue is with the headcover…horrible. I thought originally it wasn't too bad but it just looks so cheap. With some of the cool designs they have out there, i.e. the Dice cover; I would expect something a little nicer. Overall, the FlyZ+ is a great looking club. Nothing I would change with the club itself. 

Looks Score: 100/100 on the club– 10/100 for the headcover. 

(P)

Sound and Feel

Sound and feel is also a very golfer by golfer preference. I hate a loud pinging noise in my driver, some love it. Some like the feeling of a lighter club, I prefer a little weight to it. The FlyZ+ has a great sounds and the feel at impact is amazing. The ball rockets off the face and feels very crisp and muted. You can feel a mis-hit, but it doesn't feel horrible. The head also has a great feel to it. It isn't too heavy, but you know it's there. The grip is OK, but not my favorite. I would for sure look to switch it out to something more to my liking, but is good enough for a stock grip. 

Sound and Feel Score: 90 of 100 

(P)

Likelihood of Purchase (LOP)

Long story short…maybe. I haven't played enough with it to decide whether I want to kick my 910 out of the bag, but it is on track too. I am really happy with the FlyZ+ and excited to get a few more rounds under my belt. 

LOP Score: 75 out of 100 

(P)

Subjective Notes 

The FlyZ+ offers everything I would want in a fairway. I enjoy playing it and am very happy with the results. The only true negatives I see are the headcover and maybe the grip. 

Total Subjective Score: 88 out of 100

(P)

Conclusion 

I have said it a 1000 times, Cobra makes great clubs. My main issue with them, like other manufactures, is that as soon as you buy one it seems they have a new model out. The thought of buying a new club for $250 in June just to see it down to $150 by August sucks. It won't happen, but it would be nice. 

Like the old saying goes, “if it ain't broke…”, well my 910F.d is one of the only clubs I own that I have 100% confidence in. I don't NEED to replace it…but I want to. As I started playing these rounds I would grab the 910F.d instinctively, but the more rounds I play the more I want to hit the Cobra. I have a BiMatrix shaft, same length and everything in my closet at home. I plan on throwing and adaptor on it and doing a true head to head with my 910F.d. 

Total Score: 88.25 out of 100

(P)

The Five  

1. Will this FlyZ+ Fairway go in your bag? Why or why not?

A: Possibly. If I continue to hit it like I currently am, then YES it will stay. 

2. To whom, if anyone, would you recommend this FlyZ+ Fairway? Why? 

A: Anyone that is looking for a new fairway. Cobra tends to get overlooked, so I will always push people to try EVERY club they can before making a decision. 

3. How, if at all, did this FlyZ+ Fairway change your overall impression of Cobra? 

A: Since I already am a Cobra fan, this review did nothing but remind me just how 

much I love their clubs. 

4. What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? 

A: The headcover, just not a fan of the style. 

5. What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in 

future models? 

A: For someone that is striving for lower spin, I would love to see Cobra current trend of producing low spinning clubs in future models. 

****MORE PICS TO COME!  FILES GOT CORRUPTED****

Follow up

Well not sure how much interest this thread will generate from here on out, but I will complete my review anyway! 

After a long drawn out process, I am still on the fence about the FlyZ+ fairway.  I like a lot of stuff about it, but I just hit my 910Fd soooo well that it is hard to part with it.  The deciding factor for me was the head size/shape of the 910 just provided so much confidence.  I have toyed with the new Cobra line and it appears that the newer F6 head is very similar to my 910, so it might prove to be better competition!

So, in closing, this was an awesome opportunity to test out a club that was on my radar.  It doesn't appear to knock out my current gamer, but still an awesome fairway by Cobra and a sign that they are a major player in the club game! 

First Impressions

The new phonebook is here (The Jerk).mp4

Just like Steve Martin in the movie The Jerk, I was so excited when I got home and there was a beautiful box with Cobra in large letters.  Instead of saying the new phonebooks are here, I ran around saying “My new Cobra is here, My new Cobra is here!!”

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

The packaging was done well, the club was in pristine condition and my heart began to race a bit as I started removing the plastic bag that contained the club. I had some help from my buddy Bear.  He was disappointed there were no treats in the box for him.  Then I started removing the bubble wrap that protected the head of the club and viola!  There she was…..

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

Since I got the club during British Open week, I thought the shot of London in the background was appropriate.  My first reaction to the club is that is truly a beautiful piece of equipment.  I am very excited to get on the course and check this bad boy out.

IMG_0390.JPG

The bottom of the club reveals that, just like many of today's drivers, my fairway wood is adjustable!!  I tend to hit the ball on a high trajectory so I immediately set the club loft to 13 degrees, the lowest loft available.  The range of 13 to 16 degrees of loft makes this a truly versatile club; it is indeed a 3-4 wood.  The change took literally less than a minute with the handy enclosed tool

IMG_0394.JPG

Here is the entire shipment.  The headcover is very nice with the old school tag on the top denoting that this club is listed as a 3 wood.  But I know better.  My overall first impression is excellent!  I am planning on hitting this dude Monday afternoon in my golf league!!

Review

After the initial excitement of receiving my Cobra Fly Z fairway wood, I had to wait several days to test it.  I have not played any Cobra products before and I don't have any friends that I can recall that still play Cobra products.  In the past I have hit Cobra irons and found them to be very user friendly.  So, I was very interested to see how this fairway wood would match up to my beloved Titleist 910 three wood.  My hope is that I will find a new three wood that I can depend on from the tee and that I can get that old distance back from hitting it off the deck.  Off we go……

IMG_0512.JPG

Range performance:  Like a Dickens Novel

I went to my local driving range and got a large bucket of balls.  After my warm up I decided to start by teeing some balls up and seeing what I have.  I use oversized grips on all my clubs so my initial reaction to the club has to be tempered since I have a standard grip on this baby.  Beyond the grip, the first thing I felt was a very balanced club and my practice swings felt good.  I must admit, I was very pleased with my drives with this club.  I tend to draw the ball naturally and the Cobra, for the most part, was ram rod straight.  The shaft, I got the stiff shaft, was very good and firm.  However, for me, the best part was the trajectory and the roll I got.  I tend to hit the ball on a high flight plane but this club gave me a lower trajectory and thus I got not only great distance but enhanced roll.  Overall, I give this club a 95 out of 100 off the tee at the range.

IMG_0513.JPG

Next I started to hit a few off the deck and the results were not so good.  My range has decent lies, maybe a little on the tight side and I had trouble getting this dude to hit the ball in the air.  After three attempts with shoddy results, I got the tool out of the bag and bumped the loft up one degree.  This change helped but I still was not making great contact.  I decided to hold judgement until I got more comfortable.

Bottom line, from the range, it was the best of times (off the tee) and the worst of times (off the deck).  Charles Dickens would be proud

IMG_0514.JPG

Course Perfomance.

I am in a  golf league and like most leagues, it is full of trash talkers.  As we waited to play, I brought the Fly Z out for the boys to inspect and to get their comments.  The guys loved the look and the adjustment ability but to them, if it isn't Calloway, Titleist or Taylormade it must suckJ.  The first hole we play is a 520 yard uphill par 5 that none of us have ever reached in two.  I had visions of grandeur when I hit a big drive (for me) and I was 240 yards out with a decent lie.  I brought out the Fly Z and saw had a mental image of me busting one and having it run up onto the green.  Unfortunately, just as I had experienced at range, I hit a low line drive that was a whisker from being a top.  Bummer. 

I did get the chance in this first course experiment to hit the Fly Z off the tee twice and it did not disappoint.  I am accustomed to getting about 220 to 230 off the tee with my old Titleist but I exceeded that by about 10 yards both times.  As at the range, I got a better trajectory and thus I got some roll.  I was very pleased. 

The accuracy of the club was fantastic.  I attribute that to the shafting.  I felt comfortable from the start with this shaft and I was hitting the ball right where I wanted.  I am not a big shot shaper but I tend to draw the ball a bit.  The Fly Z went basically straight every time I hit it off the tee.  I am so happy with this club off the tee that I will be switching to it from my Titleist for the tee performance alone.

I did not hit anymore off the fairway that day but I have played five subsequent rounds and I have figured out to some degree, how to hit this club off the deck.  That said, I do prefer my old Titleist from the fairway but off the tee, the Fly Z is a big winner.  Since I tend to hit many more three woods from the tee than the fairway I can live with the fairway performance.

Overall I would give this club an 85 out of 100

Looks

I think Cobra has done a great job with the look of this club.  When I stand over a shot with a new club many times the way it looks gets into my thought process.  I did not have that problem with this club.  It is not flashy but to me it is classy.  The bottom of the club is contemporary and not overstated.  I love the head cover too.  I have the big head cover on my driver and I even have a rather bulky cover for my hybrid.  I love the old school sock cover, the last think I need in my bag is another bulky head cover.

Overall I give this club a 97 out of 100 on looks

Sound and Feel

I love the balance of this club and I love the shaft they put in mine.  It is to me, more than stiff but less than extra stiff.  I feel confident when I swing it that it will not be whippy but it also doesn't feel like I am swing a steel pipe.  I think this shaft has helped my accuracy and I am pleased.  The club has a good sound, I think it sounds like many of its contemporary's and way better than Nike.  I am not a fan of the grip, I will be changing it to a full cord oversized model, but that said, it is probably about average for its competitors. 

Overall grade for this area is 92 out of 100

IMG_0515.JPG

Likelihood of Purchase

At this point in the process I am leaning toward yes on this one.  The tee box performance is really good and that is much more important to me that actual fairway performance.  My Titleist does well in both categories but the Fly Z has me leaning its way.

Overall I would say the likelihood of purchase is 80 out of 100

Subjective Notes

I think the Fly Z is a nice looking club that feels good in my hands.  The profile is refreshing in that while it's oversized it doesn't look like a driver.  I don't like the grip but that is like not liking the color of a room; it is easily changed.

Overall I would give the Fly Z 85 out of 100

Conclusion

What do you really want a three wood for these days?  For me it is mainly for tee box performance.  I rarely load up from 250 and try to get home in two on a par 5.  I will hit a hybrid or a three iron and get myself into good wedge range.  But, so many times on tight courses I need the control and appreciate the distance I can get from a three wood.  The Fly Z gives me that control and excellent distance.  I am probably going to put the Titleist 910 in the basement for a while. 

Overall assement up to this point is 85 out of 100.

IMG_0516.JPG

The Five

1.     Will the Fly  Z go into your bag? Why or why not? As I mentioned above, if for no other reason, this club is a bad dude off the tee

2.     To Whom, if anyone would you recommend the Fly Z and why?  I would recommend this club to anyone who uses the three wood off the tee.  If you are a person that plays your three wood from the fairway regularly I would not recommend this club to you

3.     How, if at all, did the Cobra Fly Z change your overall  impression of Cobra?  First, it reminded me that Cobra is still out there.  Secondly, it made me realize they are a viable option when making a purchase of a new club.  I will definitely look at their other equipment from now on

4.     What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?  I would improve the grip to something a little more robust.

5.     What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?  I love the profile and overall size of the club, it is not overwhelming.  If they can duplicate this for their drivers and get similar performance and forgiveness as their competitors, I am a buyer,

Golf boxes just get your blood up don't they? Sitting there on your porch, a present to be unwrapped. You know what you ordered, but for some reason having in on the actual doorstep is like Christmas morning. I recognize this is slightly demented, considering I'm 34 years old and stopped getting butterflies over gifts twenty years ago. I know no one here will judge me though, since you're all equally demented.

So, imagine you're me the day you came home and saw this:

frontdoor.jpg

Well, you'd do what I did. You'd flip over. Because what if it's my wife's new... er... lamp?

cobraboxfinal.jpg

Since I have no pictures of the process, you can safely assume the truth. I left teeth marks all over the plastic. I quickly assembled the disparate pieces and snapped a few shots for posterity. Because I can assure you, it won't look like this for very long after I get it to the range.

toolfinal.jpg

headcoverfinal.jpg

shaftfinal.jpg

headfinal.jpg

headonfinal.jpg

Good news. I don't have to tell you how attractive it is. It's very attractive. It's sleek and shiny and has a tremendous color scheme. Say one thing for Cobra, they know how to make things look good. Hell, even my Puma socks look cool. So rather than talking about looks, let's talk about what it FEELS like, before I ever take a swing.

First up, it's light. Much lighter than my gamer, which has, something like an 86g shaft in it. It also feels shorter and less powerful. Again, what I've been swinging occasionally feels like a lead pipe.

Second, the face itself presents longer than I would normally prefer. My gamer feels a little taller. Comparing specs, it looks like my gamer is about 10cc smaller all told. We'll see whether that makes a difference either way for me.

After taking a few practice swings, right out of the box, it's got a very aerodynamic feel. It gives an almost whistling sound on swing, probably created by the "Speed Channel" face. Whether that makes it ACTUALLY faster, or just makes it SOUND faster remains to be seen.

All told it's a club I can get behind.

I look forward to getting this thing out to the range a few times before I take it on the course. My 3-wood is probably the most inconsistent club in my bag. There are days it's like throwing darts and others where I literally can't get it off the ground. Hoping the Cobra Fly-Z gives me a shot at hitting something more predictable.

Stay tuned!

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

Driver -    :adams-small: Speedline Super LS 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie 6Q3 X stiff
3 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tou
r 13*, Aldila NV Protopype 80X

Irons -   :taylormade-small:  3-PW rac LT, KBS Tour X
Wedges -   :mizuno-small:
 MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5
Putter - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie

Bag: Daltrek Carry-Lite Stand Bag

Shoes:   :nike-small: Lunar Swingtip Suede

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo

Review.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Follow-up

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Like everyone else my anticipation of my cobra was a little off the wall.  What seemed like months of waiting, but was really only weeks, there appeared at my door cute little Cobra box!

golf 1507 00.jpg

It felt like Christmas morning!  I am suddenly transported back to being an 8 year old! I immediately took the box, ran inside to unwrap it it while announcing to my wife, who I had not seen in days, that my dream of being a club tester was actually coming true. To which she replied.. YOU'RE A WHAT????

When I opened up the box the new Cobra FlyZ  3-4Wood  with GPH Stiff Shaft  lay there in a cardboard cradle wrapped nicely in a clear bag that read "Cool Stuff That Works".  It was a dream to reach in and cradle my new toy that only took seconds to unwrap!!! My only improvement here would be to secure the adjustment tool to prevent any damage to the club head... which did NOT occur to my new 3-4 wood! A nice touch by Cobra to branding EVERYWHERE!!

golf 1507 01.jpg

I immediately ran out to my golf bag to grab my TM Burner 3 wood to compare. The grip is standard (my current is oversize medium, dual/quad wrapped). The face is a dark grey tone compared to the Burner silver face.  The back weight is not removable but is sexy gold  anodized finish. All in all I like the club head look better than the Burner.

golf 1507 03.jpgcobra flyz head 001.JPGcobra flyz head 002.JPG

Compared to my TMBurner the shaft length seems to be about a 1/2" longer and, at rest, the face seems more open. The Cobra came preset at 14.5 degrees (adjustable from 13-16) and my Burner is a 15 degree. Compared to the TMBurner the club feel seems like the head is heavier.. which for some reason I prefer with all my clubs.

golf 1507 02.jpg

BTW - at this point I should mention, that the woman I have not seen all week is now on her way to the neighbors for a beer. Apparently she is not nearly as excited as me!! As for me I am already changing into shorts to go try and coerce her to go to the driving range for dinner!! I mean, go to the driving range and then go out to dinner!!!!

golf 1507 02.jpg

Initial impression, possibly due to my excitement of my FIRST test club, is overwhelmingly in favor of the new Cobra. Great look, better than average packaging. I would change the head cover and secure the adjustment tool. But overall I am really looking forward to seeing if the Cobra  promise of "More Ball Speed and MORE DISTANCE" will come true.

golf 1507 04.jpg

In my bag

Drivers: Grenade II, Standard flex!

FW Woods:  Cobra Fly-Z set 14.5* w/VLCT-Sp Stiff graphite shaft

Irons:  Taylor Made Speed Blades tweeked 1* w/graphite Matrix 55 gram  M shafts

Wedges:   Taylor Made Speed Blade P & A w/Matrix 55 gram M shaft, 56* SCOR V sole w/Genius 9 graphite shaft, Cleveland 60* w/steel Stiff shaft.
Putter:   SeeMore X2 custom

Balls: Snell

Top date I have not switched colors from TM to Cobra!

My TM Burner 3 wood travels around 220 yards dead straight (usually). The Cobra appears to go 230 yards......

My problem is that I hit this club left nearly every time. Not a pull but a extra wide draw. Three times to the range and a dozen rounds and I still have not corrected this "pull." I thought it was me, so I have had a few friends hit this club. Nearly every person draws left. There was just one friend, that after hitting it left on the range, decided on a par 5 second shot with a crappy above his feet lye decided to try to make the green (240 yard uphill shot). PRESTO, the ball sailed miraculously to the green with such a sweet gradual projectory. It was a Christmas Miracle! It ws like watching the cripple walk again. It was like Jesus had just healed a leper. It was cool!

I find the sound of the ball hitting the face of the club is more tinny than I like, Higher pitched and nearly cheap sounding. This sound is over ridden by the fact the club feels so damn good in my hands. The balance for me is just right. Just slightly heavy at the head. I really want to love this club.

The ball flight is a wonderful sight! I can say that this club has a much more gradual projectory as opposed to my TM Burner 3 wood. The ball flight comes out low and reaches its peak nearly at the end of its flight. I must admit that when I can hit this club straight the ball travels just slightly further than my TM Speeder.

My next goal is to replace the grip with the over-sized one that I have on all my other long clubs.. This may keep me from holding the club with a Vulcan Death Grip and reduce the urge to smack the crap out of everything!!

Stay tuned for future edits and final review. I'm still determined to like this club!!!

In my bag

Wedges:   Taylor Made Speed Blade P & A w/Matrix 55 gram M shaft, 56* SCOR V sole w/Genius 9 graphite shaft, Cleveland 60* w/steel Stiff shaft.

Wow, just picked up my new cobra with a new DritaC MEDIUM grip. Immediately i went to the driving range... all I can say is JESUS!!! I'm hitting it off the deck, swinging easy and passing where my TM 3 wood would go swinging hard. I leave for VEGAS tomorrow with rounds at Coyote Springs, Falcon Ridge, Sand Hollow and Wolf Creek. I'll update when I get back, but I imagine that this Cobra may be staying in my bag and my TM is leaving me!

I'll finish up with editing the 5 upon my return!

The Five

1.     Will the Fly  Z go into your bag?

2.     To Whom, if anyone would you recommend the Fly Z and why? 

3.     How, if at all, did the Cobra Fly Z change your overall  impression of Cobra? 

4.     What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

5.     What feature do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

In my bag

Just realized this thread isn't updating probably as unread because all we're doing is editing old posts.

HEY SOME FIRST IMPRESSIONS ARE UP.

-Justin-

@jdiddyesquire

MP-T4, 50.6, 56.14, 60.5

Great first impressions all......as a Cobra user, i look forward to the many comments onas you begin the process of fitting the new Cobra into your bags.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

OK, better late than never, my first impressions of the Cobra FlyZ 3-4 Wood are posted. Sorry for the delay, my VPN to my home office was just not working this week.

In my bag

• 2 weeks later...

Super photos Jdiddy, looking forward to the reviews by you all!

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Anxiously awaiting these reviews I love my Bio Cell+ and not sure any fairway wood will be beating it out of my bag but if this really is better I might have to buy one for a test

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Whatever happened to this test? Cobra's got new stuff being released now.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

Reviews are posted. I have been mixing the Fly Z+ in a few rounds, but it isn't going to supplant my current fairway wood in my bag.

• 3 months later...

Follow up complete!

Follow up complete.

Archived