Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Lessons & properly fit equip. = Lower Handicap-better golf?

I'm pleased to announce (brag? Ha!) as of today my handicap is at 6.5. Here's why I'm making the announcement. Over the past few years I've seen my game slide due to several factors. I reached the ripe old age of 60 back in February and began thinking that I have only a few years or so left to still play some pretty good golf. I'm reasonably fit and don't have any physical issues. I feel good. However, I realized that I'd let myself become lazy regarding my game. My handicap kept climbing and then plateaued; bouncing around between an 8.5 to 10. All the while I was disappointed and complained about my play. I'd tell guys, "I'm better than that. What's wrong?" Have you ever heard or said that before? Thought so.

Starting in mid-summer of 2014 I decided I'd do something about it. So, after much research I decided first to get a full-complete-professional fitting for a new set of irons. In August 2014 I did so and it was a great experience and I now have the best performing irons I've ever played. The results were almost immediate after a short adjustment period. Shortly thereafter I decided I'd find a good instructor and began taking lessons starting in March of this year. My lessons have been more of a coaching experience as opposed to lessons I'd say. My instructor didn't want to "change" my swing per se' and I wasn't looking for any kind of rebuild. So from the start we both had the same ideas regarding my swing/game/goals. We clicked. So far this year I've had 5 lessons/sessions with him. After our first meeting I began practicing with a couple of small suggestions he recommended to me. My ball striking began improving almost immediately. Since we began working on my swing in March I've seen my game steadily improve. Actually I improved the first month and shaved one point off my handicap. Then the next month I soared back to a 9! What happened? Nothing really. I was just going through adjustments and perhaps thinking too much. Since then I've steadily been coming down. Today my new revision came out and I'm standing on a 6.5 handicap. Goal met! However, I now feel that I can go even lower before the year ends. Today I'm setting a new goal. Before 2015 ends I'd like to see my handicap at 5. The lower you go that harder it becomes. Think I can make it? We'll see.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Great news, keep doing what you're doing!!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I think you can make it.  

You better have more than a few years left! Unless a few means more than 10.   Either that or I am on the slippery down slope.  

I haven't been playing at all for the last 2 weeks since I came down to take care of my parents.  We have to find them a safer place to live than the house they have lived in for 45 years.  I have to go back home in a week to check out of my job, sign a bunch of stuff, and clear out my personal stuff.

In late September I am headed to Vegas to meet with my golf coach to tweak my swing for a few days.  I know, I know, a pro's coach goes to the pro; I'm lucky that my coach is coming halfway to meet me!  I haven't seen my coach for a few years, so it will be an interesting experience...again!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Big transitions to take care of for now Kenny, plenty of time for golf later.

I figure, the more golf we play, the longer we'll be able to play golf.  All the healthy and active "old dudes" seem to hang out at the golf course, so that's where I want to be ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Sounds like you found the right instructor. I like the part about not overhauling the swing. I tried that around 10 years ago and it did not work for me. I think the older we get the harder it is to do a complete overhaul any how. I have always been a big proponent of having clubs properly fit not only loft and lie but weight and shaft flex too. Looks like from your diminishing handicap index you are getting it back together

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Sounds like you found the right instructor. I like the part about not overhauling the swing. I tried that around 10 years ago and it did not work for me. I think the older we get the harder it is to do a complete overhaul any how. I have always been a big proponent of having clubs properly fit not only loft and lie but weight and shaft flex too. Looks like from your diminishing handicap index you are getting it back together

Yeah. I feel good about my instructor. Keeps it simple which I like. Hopefully STU I can match your 5 hcp by year end.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Great job Plaid! I've got to get back on the horse of working on my game. The weather has been a killer, no way to really practice.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great job man that is awesome. I've been against getting lessons since I started playing seriously 7 years ago. My dad had gotten his handicap down to a 3 all by himself without any lessons and of course there is Bubba Watson so why should I right? Well I've finally caved in and asked my wife for a full fitting for Christmas. I want to make sure that my clubs (which aren't fit) are adjusted to my swing and if they are not the right clubs to find out what are. I've gotten myself down to a 6.9 handicap but it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this one

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

I just got home from my round and thought I'd check in. Played good with a 76. I let a few slip away as always. Grrrr.

You'll be glad you did the fitting I'm already guessing. Hopefully you'll be able to find a good qualified guy in your area. But, you have time to look around and ask questions and perhaps even go visit a few first. Secondly, maybe you'll be able to have the fitter make adjustments to your set without buying new clubs. Be prepared for some possible changes. New shafts? Could be. New grips for sure. The clubs you have look like good ones. I'd think the fitter if anything might make some shaft changes. You'll be surprised anyway and it will be fun.

I just got home from my round and thought I'd check in. Played good with a 76. I let a few slip away as always. Grrrr.

You'll be glad you did the fitting I'm already guessing. Hopefully you'll be able to find a good qualified guy in your area. But, you have time to look around and ask questions and perhaps even go visit a few first. Secondly, maybe you'll be able to have the fitter make adjustments to your set without buying new clubs. Be prepared for some possible changes. New shafts? Could be. New grips for sure. The clubs you have look like good ones. I'd think the fitter if anything might make some shaft changes. You'll be surprised anyway and it will be fun.

My full bag fitting was one of my best days ever. New shafts on some clubs, a couple pured, the putter was cut down and back weighted, it was too cool. BTW the biggest difference was putter.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My putter has been kicking major butt since I got the Odyssey. I'm making more attempts therefore keeping my score reasonable. My wedge game has gotten better also after a little practice session at the driving range with my son. Right now my driver swing is killing me. I know I have a negative angle of attack and have been trying relentlessly to fix it but I keep making the same mistake over and over and it's not keeping my right shoulder down to hit up on the ball. I've got to get this fixed as the club championship is this weekend!!

I love what I am using right now. I just want all doubt removed. That's the main reason why I want to do this. I have no intention to change any of my equipment from here on in as long as it continues to perform.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

My putter has been kicking major butt since I got the Odyssey. I'm making more attempts therefore keeping my score reasonable. My wedge game has gotten better also after a little practice session at the driving range with my son. Right now my driver swing is killing me. I know I have a negative angle of attack and have been trying relentlessly to fix it but I keep making the same mistake over and over and it's not keeping my right shoulder down to hit up on the ball. I've got to get this fixed as the club championship is this weekend!!

I love what I am using right now. I just want all doubt removed. That's the main reason why I want to do this. I have no intention to change any of my equipment from here on in as long as it continues to perform.

I would go into your club championship with the swing you know best.  Don't play while trying to remember new swing thoughts.  Play what you have been playing, trust it,  and work it out later.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I received my GHIN handicap revision this morning from the TGA (Texas Golf Association) and I'm down slightly from 6.5 to 6.1. I was hoping in late August to drop below 6 but as golf will do sometimes.... my final two rounds for the month were not as good as I'd been shooting. But, I take my 6.1 and be happy for now. Perhaps when my Sept. 15th revision comes out I'll break the 6 handicap barrier. I'm hoping to match STU with a 5 handicap before end of the year.

That's funny - I'm hoping to match you at 6.1 - my course is too dog gone long in the wet for me to be competitive - I need a few more strokes. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

"Lessons & properly fit equip. = Lower Handicap-better golf?"

I would say you also need some practice, but, I can vouch for "No practice & playing distracted = Higher Handicap-much worse golf." But believe me, it is much easier to raise the handicap than lower it.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Definitely easier to raise it than lower it!  Two years ago before my knee surgery I was 8.7 but it climbed up to 14.2 just before the surgery when i was in a lot of pain.  Hard to get to your left side with a bad left knee!  It took a year to get down to my current 9.2

Definitely easier to raise it than lower it! Two years ago before my knee surgery I was 8.7 but it climbed up to 14.2 just before the surgery when i was in a lot of pain. Hard to get to your left side with a bad left knee! It took a year to get down to my current 9.2

Obviously I need lessons from you and Rick because apart from cheating I'm unable to get my handicap where it needs to be. It takes a sustained period of poor play. The issue is that the courses im playing are tough, all with slopes over 130. A 78 at Bayou has the same handicap impact as a 75 where I used to play. So three rounds in the low 80's and 2 in the high 70's keep the index in the 4's. If I get to where I break 80 4/5 times it will be in the 2.0s which is about the best I could hope for at this point.

The problem right now is that the ball is going 20 plus yards shorter off the tee. I have just enough short game to still break 80 about half the time but I'm sick of my hybrid/5 wood combo. I also have a tournament -2 differential that will be on there for another year dragging it down.

Bottom line is that it takes six months of sustained golf to move the differential much one way or the other. :(. Still it's far easier to move it up than down when you are under a 10.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I agree with ya Rev. I think I'm at the point where going lower is getting much more difficult. I'll also readily admit; my home course has a slope of 122. It's fairly short from the back tees at 6560. Quite frankly I think the course plays more difficult than the rating implies. The fairways are tree lined and narrow and the greens are small. There are many water hazards, sand, and OB all over the place. On the plus side the course is fairly fast with Bermuda fairways. Oddly enough my game travels pretty well. For some reason I seem to play good on the road on courses rated much more difficult. I think many times I get lazy around my home course and let my mind drift away from what's in front of me. In two weeks I'll return to Charles Coody's course in Abilene Texas - Diamondback. We'll play the middle tee rated at 131. It's a really nice course and I expect to play well. Can't wait.

The problem right now is that the ball is going 20 plus yards shorter off the tee. I have just enough short game to still break 80 about half the time but I'm sick of my hybrid/5 wood combo. I also have a tournament -2 differential that will be on there for another year dragging it down.

HAHAHA!  Welcome to my world!  If you play hybrids and FW enough, you get used to it.  That happened a few years ago for me.

As I say to most "young" guys I play with that hit it past me...  "When you get to be my age, you'll hit it just as far as I do."  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

9-15-2015 Handicap revision update - Well boys I didn't get below my 6.1 handicap with todays GHIN revision. I went back up to a 6.5. Just when I thought I was going lower my game suffered the last two rounds. I'm determined to break into the 5 handicap range. (hopefully 5.5 or better before end of the year) Damn this game is hard. Right Rev?

How's everyone else doing? Up, down, sideways?

I'm at an 18.1 as of this mornings revision. I think I was an 18.3, so, if that's the case, I'm moving in the right direction.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'm at an 18.1 as of this mornings revision. I think I was an 18.3, so, if that's the case, I'm moving in the right direction.

29.5 for me. So it looks like I'll be getting 10 strokes from you on Saturday lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I haven't kept mine but can tell you from the scores it's probably the same as last years. I've tossed enough low to mid 80's that it should be around where it was. Not bad for taking 5 months off inbetween and playing two totally different styles of courses.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

29.5 for me. So it looks like I'll be getting 10 strokes from you on Saturday lol

:P

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Mine seems a little low for how I really play. 12.9. I haven't been keeping a real handicap for very long and two good rounds in the spring pushed it down.

Ping G30 driver 9.0 Tour 65 X 45"
Cobra Bio-Cell 3-wood ATX Tour Blue TX75 42.5"

Cobra Bio-Cell 3-4 Hybrid Irod 85F5 40.5"
Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW KBS Tour S+
Titleist SM4 wedges 56 & 60.
Ping Tomcat C with Super Stroke 3.0 grip

Bridgestone B330

My revision leaves me at a 5.2.   Yuck!  Just not enough time to play. 

On a positive note I have taken a recent lesson, that along with almost daily reps with the heavy/light clubs have me striking the ball more solidly.  I hit the ball great when I played last week and my two range sessions since have been outstanding, the last one especially so.  I'm playing Sunday so we'll see - hopefully I'll hit the range again tomorrow.  Thinking about the sensation of swinging the heavy club has really improved my tempo

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Haven't played since the 3 person scramble with my bros. Mine's at 6.7 but I'm getting my I20's tomorrow and will be out this weekend. According to the online fittings at ping and true temper, I should be fit for them so I'm anxious to say the least. I know it doesn't beat getting fit in person but when you have no choice you go with what you got!

Archived