Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Will UA buy Taylormade?

ZenGolfer

Just a thought I had recently, with Adidas looking to get out of golf and UA on the rise as an apparel company, would UA buy Taylormade?

It seems like it would be an easy way for them to get into the industry and get all the tooling and network they would need to be successful.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that whoever purchases TaylorMade reissues the original Pittsburgh Persimmon series.  I hope for a lot of things that I don't get, but my favorite metalwood lines ever were all old ones--TMs originals, the Titleist PTs which I still play today, and the old Ben Hogan Series 56 line.

• SPY VIP

No. If TaylorMade eventually gets sold, it's highly unlikely it will be to UA. adidas isn't going to sell to one of its two biggest competitors.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

There was a time when I thought UA would go into the golf equipment market with a serious effort via acquisition, but that time has come, and gone. The more I looked at UA (and Nike, Adidas, and even Sketchers), the more convinced I am that they all view golf as 'done' for this generation, and I'm not sure they are wrong.

I love golf, but when I look around at who is playing, I see an aging group over 50 of regular players, and a very small group of under 30's. What I don't see are many 30-50's. Without them, that group of under 30's is slowing in growth, and the overall revenue is down. These are things we all already know. The financials are pretty clear there. What I think we overlook though is how those people that aren't on the golf course are spending.

What we see is that there is massive growth in other sports. With references like 'Bicycles are the new golf'. ( http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/04/business-networkinghttp://money.cnn.com/2014/04/29/smallbusiness/cycling-golf-entrepreneurs/index.html http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/227420 http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/cycling-is-the-new-golf-the-rise-of-an-on-trend-activity/article4246149/ ) what we see is the big players in sports are all looking hard at those industries instead. Those efforts we are starting to see really start to emerge.

UnderArmour has quietly bought a lot of fitness related technology companies, including one of the pioneers in ride tracking (mapmyride AKA mapmyfitness). Their long term bet appears to be all in on technology and fitness timing together. It is a play that works well for their culture. Nike and Adidas are both playing around the edges of these concepts. I would expect that many of the big box retailers that many of us use to pick up golf supplies are slowly phasing out their golf sections and reducng those footprints to make space for Yoga, CrossFit and Spin spaces. Products that used to just mix in to the 'fitness' areas are getting higher profile display space.

Unfortunately, as much as I love golf, I fully expect that our costs to play will continue to escalate as the numbers of active players decreases pretty dramatically over the coming decade. It is going to take something special to kickstart the massive growth cycle that golf needs to regain it's glory years numbers.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I love golf, but when I look around at who is playing, I see an aging group over 50 of regular players, and a very small group of under 30's. What I don't see are many 30-50's. Without them, that group of under 30's is slowing in growth, and the overall revenue is down. These are things we all already know. The financials are pretty clear there. What I think we overlook though is how those people that aren't on the golf course are spending.

I'm one of these guys. I'm 32, play off 4, have been as low as 0. 20s-30s if the weather was half decent I was playing at least 3 times, maybe dropping by the course after work to hit some wedges/ putts etc. No kids, no problems. 

A couple of years later I have an 17 month old, another on the way. I work 4 week stretches away from home. So when I'm back for a week I either sneak off to golf, or hangout with the young guy. My clubs are rusting away lol. Same with most of the guys I grew up playing with. Young familys, at least 5 1/2 day working weeks. Not really conductive to much golf. 

I have a revolving WITB policy.

• 7 months later...

I'm 24 and I love golf. I've gotten plenty of my friends to join in as well. I believe golf needs to target the idea that golfing can be a work out too. Nike has a golf tracking app that could be great but they stopped messing with it in 2014. Technology has its place in golf but they are only going after swing training. My generation is such a weird group of people. We want to see results ASAP on everything or we want the boutique, classic experience. Heck, I've toyed with the idea to start playing with old hickory shaft clubs. I've been watching what these golf companies are doing. Saturating the market with drivers (looking and you TM and Callaway) hasn't done much to help the game. I really haven't seen a push to my generation. If the generation before me has been missed then go after the millennials. There are plenty of opportunities to make golf great again but I just don't see the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm 24 and I love golf. I've gotten plenty of my friends to join in as well. I believe golf needs to target the idea that golfing can be a work out too. Nike has a golf tracking app that could be great but they stopped messing with it in 2014. Technology has its place in golf but they are only going after swing training. My generation is such a weird group of people. We want to see results ASAP on everything or we want the boutique, classic experience. Heck, I've toyed with the idea to start playing with old hickory shaft clubs. I've been watching what these golf companies are doing. Saturating the market with drivers (looking and you TM and Callaway) hasn't much to help the game. I really haven't seen a push to my generation. If the generation before me has been missed then go after the millennials. There are plenty of opportunities to make golf great again but I just don't see the effort.

As much as I hate to say it this way, there is a sentiment amongst many of the older golfers that targeting the young players would destroy the game. They resist change, and many of the changes needed to really attract the millennials would simply upset their apple cart too much. :(

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I guess that with The Sports Authority in the toilet(filed bankruptcy closong 400 stores) that the Tommy Armour line of golf equipment and clothing will not have an outlet.......do they go bye bye as well?  How about if Target picks up the Tommy Armour line?  If Walmart can sell Ben Hogan apparrel, Target could sell TA.

Back to TMAG........If anyone buys Taylormade from Addidas, it will probably be an investor group.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I wouldn't mind seeing a golf company fight the PXG craze that's been happening recently. TMAG has that opportunity. I don't know if Sports Authority was nicer in your state but in Arkansas that place was a joke.

I'm 24 and I love golf. I've gotten plenty of my friends to join in as well. I believe golf needs to target the idea that golfing can be a work out too. Nike has a golf tracking app that could be great but they stopped messing with it in 2014. Technology has its place in golf but they are only going after swing training. My generation is such a weird group of people. We want to see results ASAP on everything or we want the boutique, classic experience. Heck, I've toyed with the idea to start playing with old hickory shaft clubs. I've been watching what these golf companies are doing. Saturating the market with drivers (looking and you TM and Callaway) hasn't much to help the game. I really haven't seen a push to my generation. If the generation before me has been missed then go after the millennials. There are plenty of opportunities to make golf great again but I just don't see the effort.

Have you considered Speed Golf?

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Haha no I have not. I like the pace of play in traditional golf. I'll stick with push carts

Archived