TESTERS WANTED! ×

Forum Tester- Selling product

apprenti23

When I joined the site I had no idea that they gave stuff away. My first clue was when I won a Callaway Razr Fit Driver a couple of months later. I still have that driver and while I soon learn I needed a 10* and this is a 9*. It never fit me, my fault not theirs, but I never sold it but have allowed others to play with it.

I have everything that I was ever given to test, most of which was in the bag today. Except golf balls. If they floated, I might have some of them left, but probably not.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a mess. There's no happy ending to any of this conversation. So sad for everyone involved.

Yeah, not loving the slanderous comments.  I don't hold it against anyone, I can forgive and forget.  

WITB:

Ping G30 9* (set to 10*)- Ping Tour 60 X

Ping G20 15* - Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 19* (set to 20*) - Graphite Design Deep Impact 80H X

Adams CMB 4-GW - TT Dynamic Gold Tour X100

Cobra Trusty Rusty 55* and 61* - TT S200

Taylormade New Spider Mallet 35"

Yeah, not loving the slanderous comments. I don't hold it against anyone, I can forgive and forget.

Thank you for taking the high road. Not picking sides here, but it is very easy to get fired up when you're called out publicly on an Internet forum. Thanks for keeping the peace and being respectful.

Personally, I genuinely hope that someone that is part of our community receives the clubs, that you get something to give you some relief from the school loans stuff in exchange, and we all can move past this.

It's not what I want to be talking about on a golf forum, I can promise everyone that.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Last one I had, it's a longer video so took a few hours to upload. I'll put them on my review since that was my original plan.

WITB:

I sarted to write a reply to this thread earlier but thought better of it and I'm glad I did with the progress that seems to have been made.  Well done Apprenti23, Snc and whoever else was behind that initiative.  Also Shawn - mate your honesty, and heart on your sleeve approach to life is going to win you a lot of friends as you make your way through the maze of life.

My suggestion to the management would be to pin some guidelines of what is expected of testers and the eventual disposal of equipment.  Doesn't have to be a bible or anything just something that makes it clear of what is expected.  I'm sure new members that are selected as testers would appreciate it and it would prevent this sort of thing happening again.  The generous spirit displayed by members like the Rev in giving Foz his set of Bio Cells and others that have done similar things is what we all love to see but isn't necessarily general knowledge.

These forums are way too good to let this sort of thing tarnish what we have here.  I have been a member of the forums that are mentioned at the beginning of this thread and suffice to say I left because of the constant vitriol that was dumped on anyone posting an opinion that differed from the popular line of thought or sometimes just for having an opinion.  I also apologise for my lack of presence lately.  Been in some considerable pain and haven't felt like writing much and would hate to think people may be thinking "Mizzy wins the member of the month and now we don't see him".

I would also point out that the written word is 7% of communicating.  When we communicate via writing we don't have the benefit of body language, vocal inflection and every thing else that goes with speaking in person.  It is very easy to misunderstand or read things into the written word that aren't necessarily meant.  Be gentle with each other and slow to wrath.  Remember a kind word turns away wrath and if it doesn't then feel free to shoot the bastard!

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Mizzy,

Thanks man. No reason to treat people with anything other than respect! Personally, I hope this thread goes away quickly.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Just an update. Apprenti23 and I worked out a trade and he agreed to do a little review of his own so that's cool.

WITB:

Glad this got settled right I was really hoping to get my hands on these. Apprenti23 if you don't like them keep me in mind please.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Well done Apprenti and Snc.  Nothing better than a good outcome and this is a great outcome :)

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

Right on boys- clubs came today... Going to be awhile before I get a review together, going to Italy on Monday for a couple weeks. But I'll put em through the paces after that!

Lucky you guys as the weather in Chicago sucks in the winter, so if these don't make the cut, I'll ship em somewhere warm for a bit.

Very happy to hear of a positive outcome, and I'm happy it benefitted both sides. Awesome!

Also, with that being said it's really cool that we have some bonus coverage of these clubs. I'm really excited to see what you have to add to the conversation Apprenti. 

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Just as I got a pitchfork and torch, you ruined my fun. I have to say though, it was well done by both of you. Just glad that all worked out and you all handled it like a group of adults and not internet trolls. Just glad that I am on this board and see that there are good results sometimes.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

Heading out this morning to try out the Srixon Z 545s I got in the trade. Should be interesting and hopefully I get on a little better then it sounds like AP did with his 1st round. They are quite a bit stronger in loft than anything I've played, soles are quite large, stiff flex (usually play x), standard length (usually play 1/4" to 1/2" long but I should be able to adjust) and ~2° upright. I'm really interested in the forgiveness aspect relative to the Hogan's and Adams CMBs.

Also excited about the Titleist SM5 55 and 60 wedges and see how the soles work out compared to the Hogan V sole. The 55 is a S grind and the 60 is a K grind so it'll be very different.

WITB:

• 2 years later...

I thought hard about whether to bump this or not on this fine Thursday. I ultimately decided to press forward based on a few things but I will say this, make sure you read the whole thread before commenting.

1.) There can be more to a story than meets the eye.

After reading the first page, I was ready to grab my pitchfork. Then I read more and realized it wasn't as bad as it seemed. We can take this example to our daily lives to ensure we gather all the information before jumping to a conclusion.

2.) Our members are super passionate.

Can you fault us? Absolutely not. I thought it was really special to see the community enforce the moral codes before mods even had to comment. If nothing else, this demonstrates how important these reviews are to the community.

3.) Never choose a permanent solution for a temporary problem

I get that SNC was feeling the strain of student loans, but guess how far the money from the club sale would've gotten him? One month. Come the 15th of next month, the bill will come due again and he'll still be in the same predicament without more clubs to sell. Anytime I sell clubs, I try to think about what I'm getting with the money and how I'll feel about it in a year.

4.) Sometimes the bad guy is really the good guy.

After seeing SNC's response, I felt bad for feeling the way I felt about him. I'm sure his feelings were hurt as well considering the fact that he put (what he considered to be) a lot of work into the review. I really give him props for addressing the issue and taking the high road in this very thread. It would've been so easy for him to throw the middle finger to MGS and disappear.

5.) Sometimes the good guy ends up being the bad guy

I'm not out here to bash apprenti, but I looked for those Hogan comments he promised. Couldn't find them. That doesn't mean he didn't provide comments anywhere, but if I'm a betting man, it didn't happen on MGS. Even more so, I noticed he totally skipped a Puma shoes test he was selected for without even doing a stage 1. Life may have gotten in the way, but we've all got lives. Just this summer, we had a number of selected testers deal with injuries and hospital stays. The one thing those guys did, was they informed the forum of the situation and followed through when they were able. That's character to me.

In conclusion, this thread demonstrates a dark moment in MGS history......but that makes it a very valuable learning experience to us all. World history is littered with dark moments that we all can learn from so they don't happen again.

And in the grand scheme, if this is as bad as MGS gets, I think we're doing just fine

Sent from #throwbackthursday

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Not sure if why this needed a bump. Taking the clubs and running/selling is wrong. We all know that.

I think Adam and MGS pretty much stated how they view things with the Tyson Lamb putter situation.

After a review is properly done, the reviewer has the right to do whatever they want with the product. It's theirs.

Plain and simple

It sucks when stuff like that happens..... A guy in our Epic Driver test last spring never even did a step 1 and vanished....We all love getting the equipment...what's more fun than that long skinny box on your doorstep...but at least follow through

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

It sucks when stuff like that happens..... A guy in our Epic Driver test last spring never even did a step 1 and vanished....We all love getting the equipment...what's more fun than that long skinny box on your doorstep...but at least follow through

This guy did a complete review, though...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

This guy did a complete review, though...

I saw that...was making more of a general statement

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I saw that...was making more of a general statement

That happened in a review I did. Guy took off with a putter and didn't do any part of the review...

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Unfortunately this is part of the risk that the MGS staff takes when trying to decide who to select for testing.

They can't always select the same group of people.

They have to place an enormous amount of trust in the people selected.

(it's a tough job and I don't envy them for a second)

I get the fact that some clubs that people are selected to test just don't work for them ...and it would be nice to move them on to someone who can use them.  That being said, perhaps there should be some disclaimer about what you should do if you've tried the club(s) and they just aren't working for you.  Seems unnecessary but could be helpful; you don't want to just put them in a corner to collect dust but you don't want to be a rat and sell them for a profit.

Maybe if you do sell them you donate the proceeds back to MGS ?
Or - you contact the forum admin, explain the situation and ask what they suggest?  All it takes is one PM or email and they'll be happy to help.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Not sure the thread dredge was necessary.

I'd like to think if someone wasn't able to complete a review for some unforeseen reason after equipment was delivered they could forward the gear onto to next in line (as determined by selectors)

Once a review has started it gets a bit more complicated. Updates as to reasons for delays would be helpful.

Like so many others have said, once a review is complete, no one has any further obligation.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

It comes up from time to time but here are my thoughts.

If you completed the review the product is yours.  Sell it, game it, hang it on a wall.  You earned it by completing the review.

Take the product and run and never do the review?  Enjoy it because you won't be doing any more.

Something happens in the middle of the review?  This is where it gets tricky.  Sometimes it's something where we could just delay the review and still complete it, or just turn it in later.  Life happens and we understand.  If something happens where you are unable to complete or start the review once product is received then we would work to pick another tester and move the product on to them.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Just an fyi...

I'd asked Barbajo in the past about the idea of some sort of forum member exchange / clearinghouse and he said it had been discussed but then tabled after considering all the logistics....

(...I deleted my original entry point in this post as I'd "shot my mouth off" before reading deeper into the thread.....)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

(...I deleted my original entry point in this post as I'd "shot my mouth off" before reading deeper into the thread.....)

You got it. The full picture is important here. That's the only reason I bumped it. It's not as simple as ground rules for selling clubs, there's so much more.

For all else, my bump comment is your TLDR

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I remember this incident very well.

What's missing here is the fact that this was our first huge response to a call for reviewers. I mean huge compared to anything that I had seen. The MGS staff went with a nice mix of veterans and newbies.

The guy who n question was a newbie. However he had done everything that was asked of him even if it wasn't all posted as yet.

Honestly that review and even more do one that T wrote on the blog saved my 1500. I was dead red on those irons because of my love for SCORs. From the reviews I recognized that they weren't right for my game.

If Studque's point is, Don't be so quick to judge, I think he's right.

I wouldn't judge Apprenti too harshly either. He was a great contributor to the forums while he was here. Very knowledge.

I think we have a very high rate of folks who diligently perform their testing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Doing a review is work. I know some people join for a chance for “free stuff” but it really takes a lot of time and effort to complete a review properly, and keeping the product is the compensation.

I've been here for 3 years and in that time have only done 1 review. I haven't even applied for another as I saw how much work it was, and with 3 young daughters to take care of, I knew it would be difficult to make time for a proper review.

Now, when it comes to selling, I think the reviewer has a right to do whatever they wish with the product. But I also think maybe it would be good karma to sell to a member of MGS at a discounted price.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Archived