Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Forum Tester- Selling product

apprenti23

5.) Sometimes the good guy ends up being the bad guy

I'm not out here to bash apprenti, but I looked for those Hogan comments he promised. Couldn't find them. That doesn't mean he didn't provide comments anywhere, but if I'm a betting man, it didn't happen on MGS. 

I remember a lot of this like it was yesterday. I participated in this thread as well as the Hogan one. 

Apprenti gave up a full set of irons and wedges for those clubs. Just to keep them in the forums. Whatever icing review he could have given on them would have been great but he owed us even less than SNC did. 

And FYI, he did post a modest review on the clubs. I can't remember if it was in its own thread or in the Hogan one but I remember reading it. I know the shafts and lie angles were wrong for him so he needed to change those before he made a full review and he never got around to it. If memory serves, he's a club pro and doesn't exactly get much time to play.

People are more than welcome to do what they like with equipment that they review after it is done. The entire stink about this situation in particular, was that it was gone about in the wrong way. They were put up for sale on ebay first during the beginning of the review and looked as if they were barely hit. He was called out on it and said he was "just seeing what he could get for them." Then later on in the review process, Apprenti found them on WRX. So this was the 2nd time we found them for sale before the review was even finished.

Be smart guys. Don't sell stuff while still reviewing it. That only makes yourself look bad and compromises the integrity of your review. Especially if the clubs don't look like they were even hit.

This was a bad situation all the way around and there were no real winners. Hopefully we can learn from it. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a pretty trashy move to me. Why not give another member of MGS a chance to try them out if they don't work for you or send them back to MGS to have someone else selected.

I really like the part about financially speaking he can't give them away even though he got them for free. Everything you get from here from info to stuff to review is free then you're going to try to turn around and make money off them? If you're having that much financial trouble quit playing golf and get a f***ing job or learn a skill or trade that can get you a decent job.

Apparently I have strong feelings about this.

You may have strong feelings but I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I gamed my first review set for 2 years, eventually buying graphite shafts (Project X) off eBay and installing them. Then, after receiving a second set of irons to review(Cobra F6), I gave the first ones(Cobra Bio Cell) to my buddy for the cost of the new shafts.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I remember the Hogan ordeal as well like it was yesterday.  I too was a reviewer in 2016 for the JPX-EZ Forged irons.  I ended up selling the irons to another member (well below Market Value at the time) on the forum with the hopes that he would add to the reviews of the irons out of respect for MGS and Mizuno.  

After the irons were delivered I do not hear or see any review posted.  

It is an unfortunate situation that will ruffle feathers from time to time - but not all equipment will work for all testers.  

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

I remember the Hogan ordeal as well like it was yesterday.  I too was a reviewer in 2016 for the JPX-EZ Forged irons.  I ended up selling the irons to another member (well below Market Value at the time) on the forum with the hopes that he would add to the reviews of the irons out of respect for MGS and Mizuno.  

After the irons were delivered I do not hear or see any review posted.  

It is an unfortunate situation that will ruffle feathers from time to time - but not all equipment will work for all testers.  

I think GS_Meyer and Adam and other staff have recently stated it pretty clearly.    Once you meet the review obligation the clubs are yours to do as you see fit.

I applaud you selling them to a member at a great price, and yeah it would be great if they had chimed in with their thoughts as well.  I mean the more varied levels and types of players that the forum can get feedback from, it's all the better for everyone.

I donated the Evnroll ER5 putter I reviewed as a prize for the Fantasy Football contest, and mentioned that i hoped the winner would share his thoughts on it in the review thread as well.  i have yet to see anything on it.   Understanding the second hand recipients are under no binding agreement to do so, as they are not an official reviewer.  However, if it's mentioned by the original tester they are making it available at a very good price or even free, I would like to think a person would feel obligated to at least  post some thoughts on it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

First review I did was for a shaft that just did not work for me.  After hitting it for a few rounds it was sent to another MGS member.  If I can't use it, someone should.

I did the same thing with my Paderson shaft. I think I asked them to pay the shipping or something.

It happens. Sometimes the equipment doesn't work for you.

I did the same thing with my Paderson shaft. I think I asked them to pay the shipping or something.

It happens. Sometimes the equipment doesn't work for you.

I did the same with my Paderson.  On the flip side when I reviewed the Cobra Biocell irons I gamed them for a season or two and then sold them.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I did the same with my Paderson.  On the flip side when I reviewed the Cobra Biocell irons I gamed them for a season or two and then sold them.

That may be the case for my Hogans. I cant stand the short irons and wedge but I like the long irons. Right now, I'm just rocking a mixed back. 

• 1 month later...

I can understand selling them if you have done your obligation for the MGS community to review them over the course of the year but to have never hit them and put them ONLINE for sale is terrible.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I can understand selling them if you have done your obligation for the MGS community to review them over the course of the year but to have never hit them and put them ONLINE for sale is terrible.

Sounds like you have a misconception about this. You might want to go back and read the thread again...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I thought hard about whether to bump this or not on this fine Thursday. I ultimately decided to press forward based on a few things but I will say this, make sure you read the whole thread before commenting.

1.) There can be more to a story than meets the eye.

After reading the first page, I was ready to grab my pitchfork. Then I read more and realized it wasn't as bad as it seemed. We can take this example to our daily lives to ensure we gather all the information before jumping to a conclusion.

2.) Our members are super passionate.

Can you fault us? Absolutely not. I thought it was really special to see the community enforce the moral codes before mods even had to comment. If nothing else, this demonstrates how important these reviews are to the community.

3.) Never choose a permanent solution for a temporary problem

I get that SNC was feeling the strain of student loans, but guess how far the money from the club sale would've gotten him? One month. Come the 15th of next month, the bill will come due again and he'll still be in the same predicament without more clubs to sell. Anytime I sell clubs, I try to think about what I'm getting with the money and how I'll feel about it in a year.

4.) Sometimes the bad guy is really the good guy.

After seeing SNC's response, I felt bad for feeling the way I felt about him. I'm sure his feelings were hurt as well considering the fact that he put (what he considered to be) a lot of work into the review. I really give him props for addressing the issue and taking the high road in this very thread. It would've been so easy for him to throw the middle finger to MGS and disappear.

5.) Sometimes the good guy ends up being the bad guy

I'm not out here to bash apprenti, but I looked for those Hogan comments he promised. Couldn't find them. That doesn't mean he didn't provide comments anywhere, but if I'm a betting man, it didn't happen on MGS. Even more so, I noticed he totally skipped a Puma shoes test he was selected for without even doing a stage 1. Life may have gotten in the way, but we've all got lives. Just this summer, we had a number of selected testers deal with injuries and hospital stays. The one thing those guys did, was they informed the forum of the situation and followed through when they were able. That's character to me.

In conclusion, this thread demonstrates a dark moment in MGS history......but that makes it a very valuable learning experience to us all. World history is littered with dark moments that we all can learn from so they don't happen again.

And in the grand scheme, if this is as bad as MGS gets, I think we're doing just fine

Sent from #throwbackthursday

Well put. This is a great take on each of the different aspects

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Archived