apprenti23

Forum Tester- Selling product

Here's my thing, I don't believe they've ever been hit off of grass. Ever. And I don't think there was ever any intention on giving these a shot at the bag. I believe he signed up with the intention to flip them if selected. I still believe that was the intent all along. Why? Well, the irons were up on eBay before the review was posted. They were up again on wrx before the follow up was posted. This person doesn't care about this site, the review process nor the members.

And as for the accusation that I changed shafts to up the value in the other thread. No, it's the closest thing Hogan offered to the shafts I've played for a decade at the time (they now offer DG TI's). I know KBS doesn't work for me and I know I bend the tips of KBS shafts because of my swing type. So if you want to know why the shafts were changed, it's because I went to the shaft with a stiff tip and extra strength there versus the new shaft which is actually their old shafts with New labels slapped over the butt sticker (this is a provable fact). Their new KBS is the old KBS but soft stepped. And their shafts are not at all consistent. You see, I went into this wanting to give a fair and unbiased review (not a flip but a review). I enjoy this site, I enjoy these opportunities as well and don't choose to spit in the face of those that own and operate MGS nor the companies providing product for review nor the membership here by flipping the review item. I have sent a wedge I reviewed here along to another member. I got a 3 wedge set, 1 didn't work. I sent it to another member to try.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's in poor taste. It's poor form. And it says a lot about a person and their motives for being here. And I did suggest to another member in a pm that I'd love to see all companies that do offer product for review personalize every item. Stamp the heads or laser etch them to tank the resale value. Etch or paint the graphics on the shaft with the oerson's name or initials. I have a feeling Nike will do something special for the testers. Don't know what but I do know what they're capable of because I've seen it. I'd love to see every manufacturer do it on review product.

If you're having financial struggles (don't buy that much either), golf is the wrong game for you. Sorry, but it's true. Golf is an expensive hobby. I'd try basketball at a public park or cornhole or something without recurring costs.

If someone is flipping review product and doing so blatantly and especially before completing the review (or attempting to), I'd love to see them removed from this community all together. A full IP address ban.

• Like 4

When I first signed up for this site is was with the hopes to get free stuff. But then I started really getting involved and now I love everything that goes on, the banter, the comradery, the genuine help offered to other members. This just seems to go against what this site is supposed to be about.

Couldn't agree with this statement more.  I would always lurk, read the reviews but I never visited the forums until the Ben Hogan irons opportunity.  Since then I have enjoyed my time here more - just because I am more of a lurker than a poster - doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the site and the banter that goes on.  

• Like 2

It's a tough call for the MGS crew though isn't it, if they only give stuff to long term members to trial you don't get new members (or not so many).

better to trust people do the right thing and sometimes be dissapointed than assume folks won't.....

That said many of us didn't sign up to test clubs or win prizes, just to talk golf. If you get an opportunity to test stuff or a prize then good stuff but it's just a bonus.

• Like 6

It's a tough call for the MGS crew though isn't it, if they only give stuff to long term members to trial you don't get new members (or not so many).

better to trust people do the right thing and sometimes be dissapointed than assume folks won't.....

That said many of us didn't sign up to test clubs or win prizes, just to talk golf. If you get an opportunity to test stuff or a prize then good stuff but it's just a bonus.

Fantastic point Westy. I guess once all of the obligations have been met, then there's nothing you can do. What was so off-putting was that the review process wasn't completely over and yet the set was for sale on eBay and WRX.

Oh I agree it's poor form, no doubt about it.

In a years time if they werent working for him, then no worries. But finish the review process and play fair by the site.

I looked at the other site the other day, looked at one story and was amazed by the trolling of those commenting - horrible place to be. I come here for the peace, tranquility and some crazy distance claims from TM.

• Like 2

I voiced my opinion in the previous thread, when he listed the clubs on eBay, but IMHO when one gets the opportunity to provide a review, one has accepted an offer (contract) to provide an honest evaluation of a product by fullfilling ALL expected requirements of the review: 1) Unboxing/First Impressions 2) Performance Review (stats, range, actual play, comparison with reviewer's current equipment) 3) Followup 4-6 months after reciept of test equipment).  

Once all of the above is completed, I feel like the contract has been honored, but not until then.

In this particular case, I feel like the individual acted in bad faith from the beginning.

That said, I think MGS should continue to provide testing opportunities to newer members, as this case is more the exception, rather than the rule.

• Like 4

Here's my thing, I don't believe they've ever been hit off of grass. Ever. And I don't think there was ever any intention on giving these a shot at the bag. I believe he signed up with the intention to flip them if selected. I still believe that was the intent all along. Why? Well, the irons were up on eBay before the review was posted. They were up again on wrx before the follow up was posted. This person doesn't care about this site, the review process nor the members.

And as for the accusation that I changed shafts to up the value in the other thread. No, it's the closest thing Hogan offered to the shafts I've played for a decade at the time (they now offer DG TI's). I know KBS doesn't work for me and I know I bend the tips of KBS shafts because of my swing type. So if you want to know why the shafts were changed, it's because I went to the shaft with a stiff tip and extra strength there versus the new shaft which is actually their old shafts with New labels slapped over the butt sticker (this is a provable fact). Their new KBS is the old KBS but soft stepped. And their shafts are not at all consistent. You see, I went into this wanting to give a fair and unbiased review (not a flip but a review). I enjoy this site, I enjoy these opportunities as well and don't choose to spit in the face of those that own and operate MGS nor the companies providing product for review nor the membership here by flipping the review item. I have sent a wedge I reviewed here along to another member. I got a 3 wedge set, 1 didn't work. I sent it to another member to try.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's in poor taste. It's poor form. And it says a lot about a person and their motives for being here. And I did suggest to another member in a pm that I'd love to see all companies that do offer product for review personalize every item. Stamp the heads or laser etch them to tank the resale value. Etch or paint the graphics on the shaft with the oerson's name or initials. I have a feeling Nike will do something special for the testers. Don't know what but I do know what they're capable of because I've seen it. I'd love to see every manufacturer do it on review product.

If you're having financial struggles (don't buy that much either), golf is the wrong game for you. Sorry, but it's true. Golf is an expensive hobby. I'd try basketball at a public park or cornhole or something without recurring costs.

If someone is flipping review product and doing so blatantly and especially before completing the review (or attempting to), I'd love to see them removed from this community all together. A full IP address ban.

First off, like I said before, I played more often than I normally would to review the Hogans in full. Played with them fully in the bag at least 10 rounds including 2 scrambles up until the Final Review was posted.  Then I alternated rounds between my Adams CMBs and the Hogans to further compare which ones worked better, although given the prior rounds I had the feelings the Adams would probably stay in the bag.  Kept stats comparing the 2 sets which lead up to the Post Review questions which leads us to where we are today.

Secondly, I'd appreciate it if you were to not make up lies and assumptions.  The ebay listing was NOT posted before my Final Review was done.  The Wrx listing was NOT listed before my Final Questions post.  I didn't go into this review thinking about a 'flip'.  The work we as reviews put into this was not small.  We all have busy lives and all testers in all the reviews done on MGS that I've read have been very well done and thorough.  

I'll be posting the videos I made DURING my review process hopefully in the next few hours/days.  They're pretty large files, especially the range test, and are taking a long time to download.  I'll post the links here and on my Review when they're done.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NRpBkIyuDAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

• Like 1

What a mess. There's no happy ending to any of this conversation. So sad for everyone involved.

• Like 2

When I joined the site I had no idea that they gave stuff away. My first clue was when I won a Callaway Razr Fit Driver a couple of months later. I still have that driver and while I soon learn I needed a 10* and this is a 9*. It never fit me, my fault not theirs, but I never sold it but have allowed others to play with it.

I have everything that I was ever given to test, most of which was in the bag today. Except golf balls. If they floated, I might have some of them left, but probably not.

• Like 6

What a mess. There's no happy ending to any of this conversation. So sad for everyone involved.

Yeah, not loving the slanderous comments.  I don't hold it against anyone, I can forgive and forget.  

• Like 1

Yeah, not loving the slanderous comments. I don't hold it against anyone, I can forgive and forget.

Are you going to do the right thing and offer them to someone here?
  • Like 2

Are you going to do the right thing and offer them to someone here?

We've been trying to work something out over the last 36 hours.

Yeah, not loving the slanderous comments. I don't hold it against anyone, I can forgive and forget.

Thank you for taking the high road. Not picking sides here, but it is very easy to get fired up when you're called out publicly on an Internet forum. Thanks for keeping the peace and being respectful.

Personally, I genuinely hope that someone that is part of our community receives the clubs, that you get something to give you some relief from the school loans stuff in exchange, and we all can move past this.

It's not what I want to be talking about on a golf forum, I can promise everyone that.

• Like 3

Last one I had, it's a longer video so took a few hours to upload. I'll put them on my review since that was my original plan.

I sarted to write a reply to this thread earlier but thought better of it and I'm glad I did with the progress that seems to have been made.  Well done Apprenti23, Snc and whoever else was behind that initiative.  Also Shawn - mate your honesty, and heart on your sleeve approach to life is going to win you a lot of friends as you make your way through the maze of life.

My suggestion to the management would be to pin some guidelines of what is expected of testers and the eventual disposal of equipment.  Doesn't have to be a bible or anything just something that makes it clear of what is expected.  I'm sure new members that are selected as testers would appreciate it and it would prevent this sort of thing happening again.  The generous spirit displayed by members like the Rev in giving Foz his set of Bio Cells and others that have done similar things is what we all love to see but isn't necessarily general knowledge.

These forums are way too good to let this sort of thing tarnish what we have here.  I have been a member of the forums that are mentioned at the beginning of this thread and suffice to say I left because of the constant vitriol that was dumped on anyone posting an opinion that differed from the popular line of thought or sometimes just for having an opinion.  I also apologise for my lack of presence lately.  Been in some considerable pain and haven't felt like writing much and would hate to think people may be thinking "Mizzy wins the member of the month and now we don't see him".

I would also point out that the written word is 7% of communicating.  When we communicate via writing we don't have the benefit of body language, vocal inflection and every thing else that goes with speaking in person.  It is very easy to misunderstand or read things into the written word that aren't necessarily meant.  Be gentle with each other and slow to wrath.  Remember a kind word turns away wrath and if it doesn't then feel free to shoot the bastard!

• Like 8

Mizzy,

Thanks man. No reason to treat people with anything other than respect! Personally, I hope this thread goes away quickly.

• Like 3

Glad this got settled right I was really hoping to get my hands on these. Apprenti23 if you don't like them keep me in mind please.