TESTERS WANTED! ×

TopGolf

HighFade

There pretty cool and alot of fun, I wish it was a little cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

hugo-boss.jpgSilvermere-Custom-Fitting-PXG-140x140.pn

Epic Sub - Zero Driver
           Callaway XR16 - 3 Wood
          Callaway XR16 - 5 Hybrid
                     PXG 0311
             Titleist SM7 50, 55, 60
                Scotty Cameron

Yep, enjoyed it the few times I went there.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Well I went, I played, I drank. Lol

It was fun even with house clubs. Took me a bit to get a feel for it but I finally did. Back net /green I think was only 215 and it took all I had to get it there.

I dunno if I'll go back but if the company is paying them in going. Otherwise I'll probably hit a regular range =)

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

• 3 months later...

I went with the family and everyone had a great time.  I was the only one with golfing experience.  The food is really good. The price is cheaper during the day and goes up in the evening.  I definitely recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity to go.

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

Some of my buddies took me there for my bachelor party, we had a great time, yes the balls are limited flight and the chips don't read really accurate, but it's was still a great time.

It's a little pricey, but I'll go back.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

• 9 months later...

I've been curious to try one since I first read about it several years ago; unfortunately closest one so far is like an hour and a half (or worse with bad traffic) away.

Unrelated, but after reading that story about TopGolf I bought a few shares in Callaway Golf stock as they were listed as one of the major investors.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I go to the one in Vegas for work events a fair bit - great time but not the same as hitting my clubs at a driving range. The clubs and balls don't lend themselves to being dialed in. Food is good.

:ping-small: G400MAX Driver 10.5* w/ Kuro Kage S

:callaway-small:  XR16 3W w/ MF AT S

:callaway-small:  XR OS 19* Hybrid w/ FS Evolution II 565

:titelist-small:  4-PW AP3 w/ TT AMT Black

:vokey-small:   SM6 50.8 F w/ TT Dynamic Gold

:callaway-small: MD3 56.12 W w/ TT Dynamic Gold

Tommy Armour Impacty Series #3 Alignment Putter

Ogio GROM Black

Just got back a few minutes ago. My observation is that 95% of the people there don't even know what club they're swinging, and have never touched a club. They were 6 of us, and we played the “topgolf game”. 20 balls a piece at 4 different targets. Took longer than expected because you had to wait until it tracked your last shot. Would be a lot of fun if you used your on clubs and there was only 2-3 people. The balls have micro chips inside them, that I found to appear to be very inaccurate. It said my ball speed was 158mph with a 98ft apex and only carrying 200. Maybe that was the max range length.? Overall I say if you've never been to one it's worth a stop if you're near by. I will probably go again if they get one closer to my house(as of now the closest one is close to a 2 hour drive). I'm going to give it a 7-10 because there was a bar and restaurant inside and a waitress that came by regularly to see if you wanted anything.

CobraConnectChallenge3

What am I missing here ? Is it the food , music or something else non golf related that makes Top Golf so popular ?

It isn't about playing golf or learning to play golf. It is a place to go to socialize, eat, and drink. I would say that the golf is a secondary aspect of TopGolf

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Well the one in  Dirty Myrtle is going up sorta fast--- I go by it 2 or 3 times a day usually on my regular runs

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have never been to a Top Golf facility. My understanding is that it appeals to and is suitable for someone who has never swung a golf club.

My family and I are of vastly differing skill levels, and we all have a ball (pun intended) at TopGolf.

But my observation has been that the first time a brand new beginner player first swings a club he/she mostly whiffs the ball  or tops it. So how is it that  that beginners "have fun" if they are unable to hit the ball anywhere near a target ?

Because there are targets everywhere. There's a row of targets that's maybe 20 yards from the hitting bays. A tightly packed row. It would be harder for a never-ever to miss these targets than it is to hit them.

Also, all of the bays are elevated (even the bottom row). So every shot gets off the ground a little bit. Again, this is all purposeful - they want the never-ever and the novice to experience success.

This is in diametric opposition to real golf - where never-evers really are set up to fail miserably, especially if they don't have someone to guide them through the game.

TG isn't stupid. Novices and never-evers want some sort of success. Success they're not going to find out on a golf course. A series of targets that you can't miss means you're always scoring points. It's like bowling with the rails up.

Now, you score more points by hitting the targets that are farther out, so a more accomplished player is going to beat a weaker player, but the weaker player can score points and get some feeling of accomplishment.

In other words, it takes a lot of hours for a beginner to learn to swing a club and strike a golf ball, but somehow people who have never before held a golf club have a great time at a Top Golf. What am I missing here ? Is it the food , music or something else non golf related that makes Top Golf so popular ?

The food and music definitely help. It's good quality bar food, easy to munch on between shots.

The traditional driving range, I think, has never been especially popular for non golfers, because whiffing or topping every ball is not much fun.

My daughter works at a par 3/driving range, and she gets more never-evers and novices than you'd think. Not sure how much repeat business she gets, though. She's got her clientele broken down into stereotypes; I'll need to get her to write them up. It's hilarious. Every time I pick her up from work, she always has a story or two.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I play to a scratch handicap and I love top golf. 

1. It shows non-golfers how fun the sport can be. Remember, golf attendance is on the downward trend. How else can you introduce the sport to someone at such a fun atmosphere? And yes, hacks are welcome. Remember, we were all hacks at one point so show them some grace and be thankful their enjoying the same sport you are. 

2. It's climate controlled...a huge plus in the Houston, TX area. 

3. It's fun to change things up a bit. Playing 18 is great, but playing target golf while eating nachos, drinking beer, talking trash to your playing partners all under a shaded area is pretty amazing. 

4. Provides a great social scene and if you're with a big group, you get the chance to socialize with everyone instead of just your foursome. 

5. Cold beer. Yes, I know you can get that on the course, but a pitcher of cold draft beer is so much better than can beer that warms up in 10 minutes. 

6. They have rental clubs so even at a spur-the-moment type opportunity, they have clubs onsite for you. 

It's all about growing the game and places like Top Golf do a great job attracting non-golfers to this wonderful sport. I don't see too many country clubs taking this approach to ensure the game continues for future generations. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Great points in both those last two posts - clearly it's a different form of golf yet clearly one where different types of players can all have a fun time.

Oh, BTW - "Top" is an acronym for "Target-Oriented Practice".

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I can't bear to post in the Shotmakers thread anymore so we're moving the progress report over here.

For the background... https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/23116-shotmakers-on-golf-channel/?p=418046

Team Short & Crooked (now officially Team MyGolfSpy) managed to squeek out the victory in the Denver 2-person TopGolf Spring League Championship last night.

IMG_3695.jpg

The recap:

Each playoff match was a single game (TopContender Elite) where you hit a total of 20 balls - (4) to five targets (90, 125, 150, 185 & 215 yds). Points can be accrued in any game target but they are doubled when you score in the designated target.

TopContender Elite.jpg

Team MyGolfSpy breezed through the semi-final match by a margin of 128 points. Team Send It, our eventual competition in the finals, similarly breezed through their match. The semi-final matches were played in opposite bays and both teams were keeping an eye on each other's game progress.

Halfway through the final match things were neck & neck with Team Send It leading by a single point and everyone putting on a ball striking clinic. Going into the final target (piano key trench at the back of the range) we had managed to work our way back into a meager 6 point lead. Prior to the match we flipped a coin to decide who would have home field advantage. We won the toss and decided I would bat cleanup. After the other three players made their final swings we found ourselves trailing by 59 points and I was suddenly feeling the pressure.

Seemed like the right time to pull out my trusty 3-wood (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/23946-club-face-pic-let's-see-where-you're-hitting-them/?p=419439). First ball was a tiny tug that ended up in the in the 8 hole (x2); reasonable start but we are still 43 points behind. Second ball was cold smoked on the center line and Team Send It were muttering like a pair of Yosemite Sams as it rolled down from halfway up the back net and dropped neatly into the 10 hole (x2); still 23 points behind. Third ball was a carbon copy of the the second and the sounds emanating from the table seem to indicate Team Send It have lost all hope; but we are still 3 points behind. The 20th ball of the game counts triple points within any game target. So I stroll over to my bag, grab the gap wedge, dispense my last ball and step in. The pressure was real y'all; but I managed to muster my best stock range swing. It was flush on a DreamWeaver line at the 125 yd target and with everyone holding their breath, the muttering has abruptly ceased. It's dark now and the balls are difficult to see in the air past ~100 yds but it appears to land dead center. All heads swivel to the scoreboard currently indicating a score of zero. Roughly 10 excruciating seconds pass before the ball finally registers - 24 points. And that's the ball game!

Team Send It behaved like true gentleman and we all rooted for each other throughout... until my final turn anyway. Everyone seemed very pleased that the entire season came down to one swing - me included.

For our efforts we each received some chunky hardware (medals), $100 Callaway gift cards, Colorado themed Black Clover hats, a free berth into the Regional TopGolf Tour Tournament ($85), free entry into the Fall league (~$300) and a modicum of bragging rights.

IMG_3698.JPG

We had a blast and look forward to showing our mustard at the regional tourney next month. Hopefully there will be more celebratory posts coming toward the end of July.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

That's awesome downlowkey! Good luck in the regional tourney. I have a hard time making a pressure shot when the beer tab for the evening is on the line much less an actual competition. 

What's not awesome is wearing jeans in June. It's summer by gawd! Does Denver not believe in warm weather?!

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

That's awesome downlowkey! Good luck in the regional tourney. I have a hard time making a pressure shot when the beer tab for the evening is on the line much less an actual competition.

What's not awesome is wearing jeans in June. It's summer by gawd! Does Denver not believe in warm weather?!

Thanks, pards! I think the competition will be much tighter from here on out, so Team MyGolfSpy will need all the help we can get. If GolfSpy_X is listening... we would welcome a MyGolfSpy sponsorship (t-shirts, lids, onsies, underwear, etc.) to properly rep the #Spies.

It was probably ~62 degrees at the time that pic was snapped and this early in the CO "warm" season my stems are still reminiscent of OB stakes - nobody needs to see that.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Topgolf is about to open it's first Australian operation. A friend of mine (who's in the golf industry) went to a pre opening event, and said it compares favourably to US sites.

A group of about 30 are booked in for the Sunday night of a golf trip that starts on the Wednesday before. Day 5 with the drink package should be ugly but fun. Looking forward to it.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

...ugly but fun...

That's what my wife calls me.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Wow. Didn't realize how pricey it is, I've never been but still want to go at least once.

Tazz

Sent using the MSG app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

I went once, on a lunch to get some swings in. I won't be back. Besides the cost, I think it's bad for your swing. You are trying to hit to certain distances and targets. The stalls could be anywhere from ground level to three stories in the air. The range is sloped towards you so the distances can vary considerably based on where you are in the stall bank (high/low & left to right) of the target. The ball has a RFID tag buried in it's core and I am sure the cover is made for longevity, It's like hitting a billard  ball, I thought. Much more so that your standard range ball. Then the whole 'on-the-clock' thing. It encourages you to take a rapid fire approach to it which is not good for practice and not good for your game. After about 15 minutes into it, I found myself swinging like a maniac. 

I get it, it's not supposed to be a driving range. It's supposed to be an entertainment experience. But I would say it's likely to have a similar effect on serious golfers as the All-Star HR contest has had on some baseball players. 

Rounds per year: 80-90. 

Handicap: 11.6

In my Bag:

Driver - Taylormade SLDR (Adjusted 1/2 to the draw side and 8* loft)

Fairway Woods: 3 & 5 Taylormade SLDR

Irons 4-AW: Taylormade M2 (2016)

Wedges: Volkey SM6 56* and SM7 60*

Balls: ProVx - preferred, Calloway Chrome second.

Holes in one: None  ;)

Albatross: ONE!  :D

Eagles: Many

Favorite golf slogan: It's a target game, not a distance game. 

Topgolf is about to open it's first Australian operation. A friend of mine (who's in the golf industry) went to a pre opening event, and said it compares favourably to US sites.

A group of about 30 are booked in for the Sunday night of a golf trip that starts on the Wednesday before. Day 5 with the drink package should be ugly but fun. Looking forward to it.

Hugh Jackman actually posted about it too.

So, the first one is in Melbin?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Hugh Jackman actually posted about it too.

So, the first one is in Melbin?

No, Gold Coast, out near the theme parks, otherwise known as "The Great Cultural Desert"

I'm up there for a golf trip (local forums National Champs) Luckily, the in laws have an apartment at Burleigh Heads

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Archived