Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Fat Grips on Putters. Is there an advantage?

GamachePotatoes

On the course and on tour I have been seeing a lot more of the fat putter grips. What is the advantage of these grips? I can see having them if your grip isn't what it used to be from hand issues. However, I am seeing younger people utilizing these grips and I would think it would diminish the feel of the putter. Is there an advantage rather than a detriment?

Thanks!

I have tried them , only to revert back to a slimmer grip (Superstroke Slim 1.0)....I believe the fatter grips help to relax the wrist action for some players.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I use an over-sized grip I have medium large hands and with a smaller grip I get flippy and don't control the putter head very well.  I have 1.18 so it's not one of the super big ones but feels good to me. and I think that's what it is all about whatever feels good to you. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

If it helps to keep your wrists from breaking down and it feels good, then it might be worth using fat grips.  Personally, I am not a fan.  While they feel good, I have a tendency to push the ball with my SBST putting stroke.

Additionally, the disadvantage is that most of us don't use staff bags, and the oversized grips don't fit well into the 14-way bags very well.  After a few times of trying to get the putter in and out of the bag, I quickly changed back to a standard grip.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've been using an oversize grip on my putter for quite a number of years. I started with a Tiger Shark and later went with a SuperStroke Slim 2.0. I've always been able to claim that I'm a pretty good putter. Even before the fat grips came out. Wish I could say that about my GIR stats.  But, that's a whole other discussion. Anyway, I recently installed a new Flatso 2.0. Initially when I put it on I aligned the flat side of the grip facing my left palm. (I'd read somewhere that's what many Pros do. Well... good for them)That was a mistake. I quickly noticed that I was missing a lot of putts mostly on the right lip with some on the left lip. I played with the grip in that position for a month when I'd finally had enough. I pulled it and reinstalled it conventionally with the flat side facing up. Putting issues resolved instantly. For me and the way I putt I think the fat grip keeps my hands quite and the putter head steady.

As a side note; I played a round recently with a younger guy (33) that had Jumbo grips on all his clubs. !!! The guy wasn't a large man with really big hands or anything. And, he played pretty good. I asked him why and he said he just tried it once on a club and liked it. Like they say... "whatever it takes".

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Big putter grips help to quiet the wrists.  If you feel that you get flippy with the wrists sometimes, they can help.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Big putter grips help to quiet the wrists.  If you feel that you get flippy with the wrists sometimes, they can help.

While this is true, round grips actually do the best for preventing the flip.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I use a fatso putter grip but it isn't for the yips or to prevent my putter from flipping. I just have a tendency to strangle the crap out of the smaller ones and I have a lighter grip on the fatso.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I have a few Super Strokes, but really like the Big Dog from Pure that I have on my Giannini.  Really nice putter grip that takes the wrists out of it.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

As they have said, it does take you wrists and wrist rotation out of the equation. However, that is not necessarily a good thing.

I used an over-sized putter grip for years. When Super Stroke first became the rage, 3 years ago or so, I was going to try one. The problem was which one to try. So I conducted an experiment. I took my putter and wrap Ace Bandages around the handle until it was the size of the biggest Super Stroke, and went to the putting green.

I lined up the 10' putt and missed the damned hole by 6' to the right.  I continued to do this, while unwrapping bandages. As the grip got smaller I got closer to the hole. Eventually, I went to the Pro Shop and bought the smallest grip he had, and blew the old one off and put on the tiny Pistol grip.

Boom!

I have never looked back. I have turned into a great putter and the smaller the grip the better. But that is what works for me.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Great thread potatoes!  I use an oversize grip on a couple of my putters. I have a tendency to get a bit handsy at times and pull and push putts.  A couple of rounds with the oversize grip and I'm good to go with a regualar grip again.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

It is subjective and transmits to one thing feel. Personally I tried the SS mid and did not like it could not feel a thing but that is me. Personally I went back to the Ping Man grip on the Zing because that is what it came with and I even have an blackout Ping Man on the 8802 Cleveland. But Mizuno Lover gave me an idea just then. I have so many putters and a couple of SS mids. I may put a couple on those to use as training aids

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I recently switched to a Cork Tree Bandit (SS Slim 3.0 sizing) and like the feel. Putting is such a personal preference, you gotta play with it and see what works. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I've tried them all, but always end up back with my Lamkin E.B.L. 3Gen.  I always feel like I'm going to like them, but end up losing the feel I've always had with the standard grips.  

With the fat grips, you really can't use a reverse overlap very easily (at least it doesn't feel natural to me).  I've always used the reverse overlap so changing grips throws me off a bit when I use the larger grips.  

I've putt really well with both large and small grips, but definitely am sticking with the traditional grips for the time being.  I'm sure there will be a time when I go back to the Super Stroke though   ^_^

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SLDR 460 w/Oban Devotion X-Stiff
3-Wood: Rocketballz Stage 2 w/Oban Devotion X-Stiff
Hybrid: Titleist 910 H 21 degree w/Diamana X-Stiff
Irons (3-9): Callaway X-Forged w/X-100s tipped 1/2"
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 53/11 and 59/10 w/S400s
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #7

Facebook Page

• 2 weeks later...

I've used an oversized grip for a while now, and I like how it takes the tension out of my hands and wrists. The stock grips have always felt too small for me and I was taught to eliminate the wrists from the putting action anyways so it helps me a bunch.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I had a superstroke mid slim 2.0 and found it a bit big for my liking. The new putter I've got came with a stock lamkin that I find 2 small so I bought an ultra slim 1.0 hoping it's a good middle

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9*, Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro                                       Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex,                                               New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:        :vice:     Pro

:titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  TM19 Select Plus Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour     HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

Archived