TESTERS WANTED! ×

Getting Old Ain't for Sissies...

wbealsd

Crap...

Hadn't actually heard of "Trigger Finger" before last week, until the Doc told me I have it...

Steriod shot took the swelling down, but still "clicks" when I bend it...

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/sports-medicine/golf/trigger-finger.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/311610-exercises-for-tendonitis-in-the-fingers/

CRAP!!!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Hope you get better soon!

Getting older does stink (60 in October). Messed up my shoulder in May, no golf except helping my friend who is a Special Olympics golfer. Seeing a surgeon in November and hoping nothing has to be done. But if I do have to get it fixed, I will be relaxing in front of the TV watching World Junior hockey :) I usually get my knees tuned up around that time (if need be).

I had frozen shoulder in my left one. Nasty bit of business.http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/sports-medicine/golf/frozen-shoulder.html

Yup

Just had elbow rebuild

Fat

Weak

Sore joints

Heart stent

Gout

Good thing I'm still pretty....

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Sod that, I'm not even 40 and I'm broken!

Oh and to add to the fun I now have prostate issues.....

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Crap...

Hadn't actually heard of "Trigger Finger" before last week, until the Doc told me I have it...

Steriod shot took the swelling down, but still "clicks" when I bend it...

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/sports-medicine/golf/trigger-finger.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/311610-exercises-for-tendonitis-in-the-fingers/

CRAP!!!

Sorry to hear about that Bill.  My mom has Trigger Finger on her right ring finger, and she has never played golf!!    Locks up when she uses a fork to eat.  It's painful to me just to watch her unlock it.  I am not sure that she is a candidate for any minor surgery, but I don't know if she can stand to live with it anymore.  

Hope it goes away, but if it doesn't I would get it fixed this winter.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sod that, I'm not even 40 and I'm broken!

Oh and to add to the fun I now have prostate issues.....

You won the bloody ashes what more do you want?

I'm only 56 and I need both knees replaced, I've had my back fused and now my shoulders ache after golf along with everything else.  If I was a horse they'd shoot me.

My Bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G25 Stiff shaft
3 Wood:  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 16 degree. Fujikara Orichi 65 gram stiff shaft
Hybrids: 3 & 4 :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Fujikara Orichi 65 gram regular shafts
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP 54 4 - PW dynamic gold S300
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.
Putter:  :ping-small: ZB S

Evil prospers when good men do nothing.

Honorary member Texas BBQ Curtin Circa 2015 

You won the bloody ashes what more do you want?

I'm only 56 and I need both knees replaced, I've had my back fused and now my shoulders ache after golf along with everything else. If I was a horse they'd shoot me.

Back fused.... I may be headed in that direction myself. Hopefully it will be a while. Is it your lumbar? If I end up having that done I'm wondering what to expect for mobility and if it continues to cause issues afterwards.

Ah mizzie, I'd swap the ashes for keeping my big handed Dr away from my posterior!

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Back fused.... I may be headed in that direction myself. Hopefully it will be a while. Is it your lumbar? If I end up having that done I'm wondering what to expect for mobility and if it continues to cause issues afterwards.

Yes Blade it was lumbar.  The L5 and S1.  The L4 was apparently already fusing naturally so when he did the others he said he annoyed it a bit more to speed up the process.  Post Op I was in more pain than I have ever been.  I'm not a sissy when it comes to pain but I was grabbing for walls when I was walking down the hospital corridors.  I'm pretty mobile now but it took me a good 6 - 8 weeks before I could even think about maybe playing again and it was my physio that encouraged me to eventually give it a go again. 

It was probably four months post surgery before I started swinging again and probably 18 months before I was playing off a 10 - 12 handicap.  The guys in my Wednesday club graciously gave me a sympathy handicap of 25 when I started playing competitively again but the 75 I shot when I was playing off 20 had the razor gang out pretty smartly. I've been consistently off single figures now for a couple of years and its been 6 - 7 years since the surgery.  I still have pain issues and my neuro surgeon says the next step is to have a couple of screws put in to separate the bits that are squashing the nerve but says that I'm just unlucky in that respect but I had a good 6 years with minimal pain other wise.  Hope that helps.

My Bag

Irons:  :mizuno-small: MP- H5 3 - 6 iron dynamic gold XP 115 gram stiff soft stepped
Wedges:   :mizuno-small: MP T4 52 degree,  :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 56 degree 10 degree bounce, :titelist-small: :vokey-small: 60 degree 10 degree bounce.

Ah mizzie, I'd swap the ashes for keeping my big handed Dr away from my posterior!

Ahhhhh the dreaded finger up the bum - know what you mean ;)

My Bag

At least my overly large prostate doesn't affect my swing, I just try to play courses with well placed trees!

I hit a bucket a couple of days ago with an adjusted grip, to try to keep pressure off the index finger, which is different but my actually be an improvement - lol  Tried to find a right handed Bionic Glove, but they're not stocked in the area, but a regular R/H glove adds a little benefit, so I'll wear two gloves for now.

What really made it flare up was my putting grip, as I've always lined up my right hand with the index finger running down the back of the grip.  I need to spend more time on the putting green to get used to that.

Hopefully, I won't get rained out today and can practice awhile.  I'm supposed to play a few rounds with some friends next weekend when I visit my hometown in Illinois, so hopefully the grip change and some rest will suffice for awhile.  If I do need surgery, I hope I can at least put it off until November.

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

@ Westy - Prostate issues already - that's NG - sorry about that my friend that's no fun.  Like my golf prep thread I have to make trip prep - it's the opposite of golf prep - as few fluids as possible - I suppose that will be easier now that I can't drink more than 2 cups of coffee and the two are on my splurge day!

This thread is very timely - Overall in doing well for someone who is in his late 50's and has suitably abused his body (nothing dramatic just normal guy stuff.)  However one of the promised caffeine withdrawal symptoms was constipation - it came to pass but the Doc said, "Don't worry, you'll have a day when everything loosens up and on that day, you'll pray for constipation." 

That day arrived on Thursday at the quarter poll of my daily dog walk - the walk turned into a full blooded sprint.  As I reached the safe haven of the front bathroom I thought and perhaps even audibly said, "Getting older sucks."  I'm happy to report that the matter is behind me (ha) and that my system seems to have regularized.

Now some perspective, I got a phone call from a care taker at a retirement home that one of my members was on his way out.  I rushed to see him delaying yesterday's round.  I got there and he was sitting on the front porch of his mobile yelling at the Meals on Wheel driver that he wanted a menu.  I had already made a gentlemen's wager with my administrative assistant that he would still have at least a month.  After my visit I think he may outlast all of us.  He's 91!  He just got back down from his home in New Hampshire.  The worker is correct in that he has slid a bit since heading up North - he's 91 with all sorts of health issues deaf, blind, heart stuff, what did she expect?  Oh well it was a great visit and nice to catch up before my round. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yes Blade it was lumbar. The L5 and S1. The L4 was apparently already fusing naturally so when he did the others he said he annoyed it a bit more to speed up the process. Post Op I was in more pain than I have ever been. I'm not a sissy when it comes to pain but I was grabbing for walls when I was walking down the hospital corridors. I'm pretty mobile now but it took me a good 6 - 8 weeks before I could even think about maybe playing again and it was my physio that encouraged me to eventually give it a go again.

It was probably four months post surgery before I started swinging again and probably 18 months before I was playing off a 10 - 12 handicap. The guys in my Wednesday club graciously gave me a sympathy handicap of 25 when I started playing competitively again but the 75 I shot when I was playing off 20 had the razor gang out pretty smartly. I've been consistently off single figures now for a couple of years and its been 6 - 7 years since the surgery. I still have pain issues and my neuro surgeon says the next step is to have a couple of screws put in to separate the bits that are squashing the nerve but says that I'm just unlucky in that respect but I had a good 6 years with minimal pain other wise. Hope that helps.

Yea thanks. Doesn't sound fun. But sometimes it's the best of two evils I guess.

That's a tough break. Are you getting any rehab afterwards? Tendon injuries can be a real pain-literally. Maintaining strength and flexibility goes a long way

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

That's a tough break. Are you getting any rehab afterwards? Tendon injuries can be a real pain-literally. Maintaining strength and flexibility goes a long way

As for now, the steriod shot seems to be helping and the swelling is down so that's good.  This is the first time I've had tendonitis in my right hand, so we're hoping that's all that's needed.

I've had to adjust my grip to keep pressure off of it, which may have been a good idea anyway.  I've been able to hit a few buckets this week (one bucket per session) without aggravating it after switching back to my Alpha irons with the mid-size grips.  For putting, I've switched to my Oddyssey White Ice #6 with the standard grip so I can wrap my finger around it, instead of lining it up the back of the grip.

So far, so good!  I'm hoping to play a round or two early this week before I leave on a trip and then play a few rounds next weekend when I'm back in my hometown visiting friends.

Heck, after choosing Keith Richards as a role model when I was a kid, I'm just happy to be here! ;)

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Heck, after choosing Keith Richards as a role model when I was a kid, I'm just happy to be here! ;)

Hehehe, I feel the same way except I chose Jim Morrison.  At least Keith is still alive :lol:

My Bag

Hehehe, I feel the same way except I chose Jim Morrison.  At least Keith is still alive :lol:

I did a recitation of "The Celebration of the Lizard" for a speech class in High School, so it was a pretty close call - lol

What's In the Bag

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I feel for you if you've got health issues. There's nothing worse than the mind is willing but the body won't do what you want. I've been lucky. Mid-forties, and not counting the very rare back spasm, no health problems. Yet.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I feel for you if you've got health issues. There's nothing worse than the mind is willing but the body won't do what you want. I've been lucky. Mid-forties, and not counting the very rare back spasm, no health problems. Yet.

You can tell by your backswing in your profile picture! Last time I got a club head that far back Tiger was considered a role model (a good one that is).

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this makes me feel rather healthy, I've got a trashed knee, shoulder problem & just been diagnosed with diabetes. 

Hope you are managing the diabetes.  It's not something to ignore.  As for the trashed knee, I had mine replaced almost 2 years ago now, and I should have done it sooner.  Well worth it.  I've been lucky with shoulders so far, but have occasional elbow issues.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 2 weeks later...

To use modern parlance

ffs

My backs in spasm and the alpha blockers (for the useless piece of sh@t prostate) are making me dizzy.

Swing a golf club? Lucky if I can stand up straight at the moment (no euphemism intended).

still the boy started school this last week and his shameless creeping to his teacher are keeping me very amused. So hey could be worse.

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Hang in there Westy, hang in there.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm blessed in many ways. Health-wise at 60.5 I'm in good shape. I have no issues with knees, back, shoulder, blood pressure, internal organs, etc, etc. I do take some cholesterol medicine but even that's a non-factor. I played some football in my youth till about 15. (without injuries) . I performed manual labor for a couple of years when I was young working out in the oil fields. Perhaps I'm lucky but I'm guessing it's genetic to some degree also. (Plaid knocks on wood.)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Might as well toss in my 2 cents.........

-4 Inguinal hernia surgeries courtesy of the US Navy(1972, 1974, 1976, 1990); now suffer from scar tissue wrapped around nerve endings causing severe abdominal pain......they only recommend pain mgt.....Hydrocodone.

-Left wrist crushed in ice skating accident. 4 surgeries over 2 years.  end result is a steel plate  + 13 screws and an inch of my hip in my left wrist.  The hip piece was to make my left arm the correct length after the accident. Result

-Arthritis in both hands....mostly fingers....pain 24/7.

-Left ankle overstretched tendons causing lateral movement and much pain....either surgery to repair tendons (6 month rehab) or wear a brace on left ankle....currently I wear the brace only when I golf.

I am only 64.75 years old......I am fighting pain 24/7.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Alright Foz wins

Managed to play a few holes yesterday, swing was so short I felt like I was chipping it with the driver! Still, of course it's hard to hit it offline with a half swing.

No medical marijuana in the uk - which is a shame!

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

• 1 month later...

Well that was my last golf, early October.

Courses are playable but my body has fallen apart.

MRI scan last week to see what's happened but it's looking like L5 vertebra may have slipped out of place, so any form of twisting is out. Lifting not so good and even sneezing is like being shot in the back.

Grumble grumble, no skiing likely either.

Not to mention any sort of (cough) domestic exercise with Mrs Westy.....mind you she doesn't seem that upset!

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

That's tough westy; I certainly feel for you.

My wife had Spondylolisthesis since she was a kid, and had been living on pain meds.  Still played golf though.  I talked her into having L5-S1 fusion in 2008, and afterwards she said when she recovered that she was going to kick my ass (on the golf course).  Well, two years after my knee replacement, and one year after hers, she finally did it.  I knew it was eventually going to happen because she is nearly 9 years younger than I am.  The past few months she finally kicked all of the pain meds and is playing the best golf of her life;  17.4 HCP.

Spinal stenosis for me, exacerbated by a prodigious baked ziti, sausage, and Chianti gut, but ameliorated by the occasional hit of oxy.

Walking days are over on the course, as the dog uses up all of my walking potential.

What a fine lot we're becoming.

But we all know the alternative, don't we?

Archived