wbealsd

Getting Old Ain't for Sissies...

Our Sponsors

Reading this makes me feel rather healthy, I've got a trashed knee, shoulder problem & just been diagnosed with diabetes. 

Hope you are managing the diabetes.  It's not something to ignore.  As for the trashed knee, I had mine replaced almost 2 years ago now, and I should have done it sooner.  Well worth it.  I've been lucky with shoulders so far, but have occasional elbow issues.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

To use modern parlance

ffs

My backs in spasm and the alpha blockers (for the useless piece of sh@t prostate) are making me dizzy.

Swing a golf club? Lucky if I can stand up straight at the moment (no euphemism intended).

still the boy started school this last week and his shameless creeping to his teacher are keeping me very amused. So hey could be worse.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Hang in there Westy, hang in there.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I'm blessed in many ways. Health-wise at 60.5 I'm in good shape. I have no issues with knees, back, shoulder, blood pressure, internal organs, etc, etc. I do take some cholesterol medicine but even that's a non-factor. I played some football in my youth till about 15. (without injuries) . I performed manual labor for a couple of years when I was young working out in the oil fields. Perhaps I'm lucky but I'm guessing it's genetic to some degree also. (Plaid knocks on wood.)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Might as well toss in my 2 cents.........

-4 Inguinal hernia surgeries courtesy of the US Navy(1972, 1974, 1976, 1990); now suffer from scar tissue wrapped around nerve endings causing severe abdominal pain......they only recommend pain mgt.....Hydrocodone.

-Left wrist crushed in ice skating accident. 4 surgeries over 2 years.  end result is a steel plate  + 13 screws and an inch of my hip in my left wrist.  The hip piece was to make my left arm the correct length after the accident. Result

-Arthritis in both hands....mostly fingers....pain 24/7.

-Left ankle overstretched tendons causing lateral movement and much pain....either surgery to repair tendons (6 month rehab) or wear a brace on left ankle....currently I wear the brace only when I golf.

I am only 64.75 years old......I am fighting pain 24/7.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Alright Foz wins

Managed to play a few holes yesterday, swing was so short I felt like I was chipping it with the driver! Still, of course it's hard to hit it offline with a half swing.

No medical marijuana in the uk - which is a shame!

• Like 2

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Well that was my last golf, early October.

Courses are playable but my body has fallen apart.

MRI scan last week to see what's happened but it's looking like L5 vertebra may have slipped out of place, so any form of twisting is out. Lifting not so good and even sneezing is like being shot in the back.

Grumble grumble, no skiing likely either.

Not to mention any sort of (cough) domestic exercise with Mrs Westy.....mind you she doesn't seem that upset!

• Like 1

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

That's tough westy; I certainly feel for you.

My wife had Spondylolisthesis since she was a kid, and had been living on pain meds.  Still played golf though.  I talked her into having L5-S1 fusion in 2008, and afterwards she said when she recovered that she was going to kick my ass (on the golf course).  Well, two years after my knee replacement, and one year after hers, she finally did it.  I knew it was eventually going to happen because she is nearly 9 years younger than I am.  The past few months she finally kicked all of the pain meds and is playing the best golf of her life;  17.4 HCP.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Spinal stenosis for me, exacerbated by a prodigious baked ziti, sausage, and Chianti gut, but ameliorated by the occasional hit of oxy.

Walking days are over on the course, as the dog uses up all of my walking potential.

What a fine lot we're becoming.

But we all know the alternative, don't we?

Last night I was swinging my Swing Swoosh thing and did some simple shoulder things in my training center/bedroom and I get into bed with a cold PBR and I look down and whammo, my left knee looks like a grapefruit.

No pain, no ache, no discoloration, but puffy, wearing a skirt today out of the question.

24 hrs later, all gone. Wwwhat??

Go ahead, say what one more time...

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Might as well toss in my 2 cents.........

-4 Inguinal hernia surgeries courtesy of the US Navy(1972, 1974, 1976, 1990); now suffer from scar tissue wrapped around nerve endings causing severe abdominal pain......they only recommend pain mgt.....Hydrocodone.

-Left wrist crushed in ice skating accident. 4 surgeries over 2 years. end result is a steel plate + 13 screws and an inch of my hip in my left wrist. The hip piece was to make my left arm the correct length after the accident. Result

-Arthritis in both hands....mostly fingers....pain 24/7.

-Left ankle overstretched tendons causing lateral movement and much pain....either surgery to repair tendons (6 month rehab) or wear a brace on left ankle....currently I wear the brace only when I golf.

I am only 64.75 years old......I am fighting pain 24/7.

Sometimes folks will say "I feel your pain.." when trying to convey empathy but honestly I can't relate at that level but I admire your strength and character as you get out there and swing away.

But I still ain't giving you strokes. ;)

• Like 1

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Last night I was swinging my Swing Swoosh thing and did some simple shoulder things in my training center/bedroom and I get into bed with a cold PBR and I look down and whammo, my left knee looks like a grapefruit.

No pain, no ache, no discoloration, but puffy, wearing a skirt today out of the question.

24 hrs later, all gone. Wwwhat??

Go ahead, say what one more time...

Sounds like something I had 20 years ago.  :)  Just wait!

20 years ago I had a PBR.  ;)

• Like 3

Mid America Conference!

Brown & Gold!

Go Broncos!

The Denver Broncos began life in 1960 using WMU's colors, then switched later to orange and blue.

Ever notice that in vintage pop culture, elderly people weren't described as grumpy? They weren't grumpy because they were only fifty or fifty-five years old. People who lasted longer than that were genetic freaks similar to professional athletes of today.

Modern medicine has us going decades beyond what our natural blueprints specified. No wonder we're grumpy. We live longer, but we also continue to degenerate beyond what we were designed to endure.

20 years ago I had a PBR.   ;)

20 years ago one PBR went missing, ah-ha.

The puffy knee is the lead knee, I have been straightening the lead leg more lately during the downswing,  this isn't good is it?  I shouldn't do that, I am 55, not 25.

• Like 1

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

Mid America Conference!

Brown & Gold!

Go Broncos!

The Denver Broncos began life in 1960 using WMU's colors, then switched later to orange and blue.

Ever notice that in vintage pop culture, elderly people weren't described as grumpy? They weren't grumpy because they were only fifty or fifty-five years old. People who lasted longer than that were genetic freaks similar to professional athletes of today.

Modern medicine has us going decades beyond what our natural blueprints specified. No wonder we're grumpy. We live longer, but we also continue to degenerate beyond what we were designed to endure.

Thanks for the Bronco acknowledgement, good school, beautiful campus.

Hey, we got joint replacements,  I had both hips "resurfaced" 2008-2009, picked up at least 20 yards.  Now I need to replace everything else.

The people who were elderly when I was young seemed to have taken aging in stride, wise, classy.  My generation isn't taking well to aging.  

• Like 1

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER

20 years ago one PBR went missing, ah-ha.

The puffy knee is the lead knee, I have been straightening the lead leg more lately during the downswing,  this isn't good is it?  I shouldn't do that, I am 55, not 25.

Likely straightening the lead leg is not a good idea.  Also, hard on the back.  It's usually the result of an outside in swing and weight stays on back leg.  At least, that's what I used to do, and still fight it occasionally.  

Well. I'm 68 and I'm not taking aging very well either.  I find that I have to work very hard on my golf swing to maximize distance as much as possible because I lose a little more each year.  Just trying to slow it down!

• Like 1

Likely straightening the lead leg is not a good idea.  Also, hard on the back.  It's usually the result of an outside in swing and weight stays on back leg.  At least, that's what I used to do, and still fight it occasionally.  

Well. I'm 68 and I'm not taking aging very well either.  I find that I have to work very hard on my golf swing to maximize distance as much as possible because I lose a little more each year.  Just trying to slow it down!

I am trying to counteract the in-to-out swing,  of course, the knee thing may have been going on for awhile I just never noticed, there isn't any pain.

I was swinging that training club very fast and hard, and probably making some poor, incomplete swings while doing it.   

Now I have two PBRs at a time, one on the knee, one to drink.

• Like 2

Respectfully,
DHUCK WHOOKER